pharmacy tech math help

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Sam in Plano, Texas

15 months ago

i'm studying the math right now and i'm studying various books and in one particular book i am studying, i am having trouble. i found it odd that this kind of problem was not present in the other books in my possession, or maybe it was worded differently. regardless, i do not quite understand the wording of the problem and i was hoping that someone could help me in explaining the steps.

If a pharmacist had ten 1-liter stock bottles of each of the ingredients, how many times could the following prescription be filled?
Rx
Codeine sulfate solution 5ml
simple syrup USP ad 10ml
Sig. 5 ml as required for cough

I don't quite understand what the ten 1-liter stock bottles means in this problem. Also, I saw that this problem was answered in a previous thread but I didn't understand the math. If anyone could help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Medina in Denver, Colorado

15 months ago

Sam in Plano, Texas said: i'm studying the math right now and i'm studying various books and in one particular book i am studying, i am having trouble. i found it odd that this kind of problem was not present in the other books in my possession, or maybe it was worded differently. regardless, i do not quite understand the wording of the problem and i was hoping that someone could help me in explaining the steps.

If a pharmacist had ten 1-liter stock bottles of each of the ingredients, how many times could the following prescription be filled?
Rx
simple syrup USP ad 10ml

I don't quite understand what the ten 1-liter stock bottles means in this problem. Also, I saw that this problem was answered in a previous thread but I didn't understand the math. If anyone could help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it!

--------------
This is a stupid question and would never be on the national exam. I studied from the TEch Lectures national award winning Review manual and it gave me the type of questions on the national exam and I passed with that information. REally a stupid question as the directions does not tell you how often other than as needed?

www.tlectures.com/reviewmanual.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sunithasiva in Dallas, United States minor outlying islands

15 months ago

Sam in Plano, Texas said: i'm studying the math right now and i'm studying various books and in one particular book i am studying, i am having trouble. i found it odd that this kind of problem was not present in the other books in my possession, or maybe it was worded differently. regardless, i do not quite understand the wording of the problem and i was hoping that someone could help me in explaining the steps.

Rx
simple syrup USP ad 10ml

hi
the stock is which is available in the pharmacy .the stock is 10-1 litre bottles, so 10x1000ml=10000ml.
we need 5 ml for cough-prescription
5xX=10000
WE NEED 5ml, but stock is 10000ml
so X=10000/5=200ml
we have 200ml , for one prescription 5 ml is used, so 5x40=200
so 40 prescriptions can be filled.
let me know whether my answer is right.
thanks
ss

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sunithasiva in Dallas, United States minor outlying islands

15 months ago

hi
In this problem, we have 10x1000ml stock solution. So 10000ml we have, we need 5ml for a prescription.
Therefore 5xX=10000ml
x=10000/5=200
200 is the number of prescriptions we can use.

Sorry for the confusion. I think what I answered earlier is wrong.

Thanks
Ss

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.