pharmacy technician salary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1201 to 1250 of 1269)
Page:  « First « Previous   22  23  24  25  26  Next »   Last »

Annie in Lynnwood, Washington

30 months ago

Retail really does sell their techs short. It's a stressful environment and the pay is ridiculously low. Five years ago, I started at $12/hr at a retail chain. A few months later, after getting my tech license, my wage increased to $13.75, then to $14.75 shortly after I got nationally certified. I couldn't leave retail soon enough and got a job at a LTC pharmacy. Got the lucky opportunity to get trained in IV's and now I am getting $22/hr. I am going to start looking into hospital soon, as they will pay more, so guys, DON'T SELL YOURSELF SHORT! And don't be discouraged. Make connections and always look out for opportunities. They will show themselves to you if you look for them. I realize that $22/hr may not be much to some, but it's a slow step. But then again, it may be where some of you guys want to be. The cost of living here is a little higher than most, so I think it kind of works itself out. I've been a tech for five years now, but I am also only 23 years old, so I am hopeful. Eventually I would like to move into management, but I know that that will not happen for a while. Slow steps.

If you are desperately in need of a job, then take what you can. You can always leave when a better opportunity arises. More exposure means more experience which is key. Work hard, be a team player. That will attract people and more importantly, opportunities. No one likes a Debbie Downer, even when things get stressful. You have to realize that the world of pharmacy is a small world. I have been lucky in having connections. While I am a hard worker, I know that I would not be where I am today if it weren't for the people I know. Half of it is luck, and the other half is what you make of it. When I look at co-workers or at the pharmacists I work with, I always imagine the possibility that they could someday be my manager, so I always keep a positive attitude. Realize, though, that we all have to start somewhere so good luck!! And keep your connections!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

eileen in Pasadena, California

29 months ago

Ernest in San Francisco, CA in Walnut Creek, California said: Well, hospitals will always pay more than retail pharmacies, and also depends where you live, here in san francisco, retail pays about 16 to 17 per hour where as hospital inpatient you get 24 per hour and yes, there is a lot overtime in the inpatient department.

I would like to suggest all the pharmacy technician's who have a lot of work experience to apply at the Department of Public Health. They do offer better hourly wage and salary $60,892.00 - $74,022.00/year, holidays, paid vacation, and other benefits. What county or city and state do you live? San Francisco Department of Public Health have job openings right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nat23 in East Elmhurst, New York

29 months ago

Hello everyone, I started off as a regular clerk here in NY. I made minimum wage and after a year, I was a pharmacy tech at the retail store I was in. they only boosted up my pay $1. I stayed though. after being in the retail pharmacy for 2 years I got a job at the airport in a retail store and got paid $10. I had completed my pharmacy tech course and passed my ptcb right before leaving tje pharmacy. I posted my resume on indeed.com and in a few days two pharmacies messaged me with interviews. I gotta say I feel pretty lucky. Please please work on ur resumes! Its important. The pharmacy I just got a job with is offering me $12.75 and thats way better then what I was getting before.. I recently saw a pharm tech position at NY resbyterian hospital. Although I only have 2 yra of experience, I applied. Two days later I was called for a phone interview.. And two days later I was called for a hospital interview. The intwrview is in a couple of days and im so anxious/nervous!!!!! I have to take an english exam, math exam, ans data entry exam. Has anyone had to do this for a hospital job? Can u tell me what it was like? And I hopeeeeee that the pay is at leaaaast 16 or 17 an hour. Should bs right? Since its in a hospital? If anyone could answer my questions about the hospital exams I wouls realllly appreciate it! Thankssss

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

starrfilled in Stoughton, Wisconsin

29 months ago

Newbie in Verona, Wisconsin said: I just saw the graph for pharmacy technician salaries posted on this site. Pharm tech's making 30k+/yr??? Is this true? I'm a certified pharm tech at WAGS, and I only make ~10/ hr . That's a little more than 20k/yr full time . Wow, does this mean there's hope for me? Give it to me straight, though, what kind of qualifications do these people have that I need? I like my job, but the low pay and seeming lack of advancement makes me dream of greener pastures.

I live in WI. and I also have searched for what Pharmacy Techs "Should Be Paid". However WI. always goes under the pay ranges. Other states get 15-17.00 an hour. That is a liveable wage. I suppose it also helps if your a good looking woman to get hired. LOL. But.. WI. wages over all.. in all areas are much lower. I work in retail for now and am being treated like a decorator and getting paid $8.00 an hour. Decorators get paid two or three times this else where. I think also because the economy is in the tank, that the employers can throw us all scraps and except us to bite the bait. I was told by two employers that I would not find more then that wage. However... I am worth more and never here have been asked what I am looking for as if .. "take what crumbs are given or leave it" In the last state.. I was asked what I am looking for Or.. paid by my years of experience. I don't think its a fair state by far. That is why so many are out of work here then any other state and why so many are on public assistant here. A liveable wage is not 8-10.00 an hour. That lowers your self worth and hope. So.. if your planning to move to another state .. yes there is hope. In WI. you will always be under paid and valued for your personal experience. I don't think its fair to be paid what others are if you have more experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cynthiadiehl@gmail.com in Boerne, Texas

29 months ago

Wisconsin does not require BOTH certification and registration, as do many other states. The states that require both do pay better. I am originally from Wisconsin and had thought about coming back there to work. After researching it, I saw that Wisconsin paid anywhere from 30 to fify percent less per hour.

You see Texas requires state certification. They do an extensive background check. If you have any durogotory history, or did not finish high school, etc.,Plus you have to renew every two years and have 20 hours of continuing education at every renewal. you will not get registered and cannot work in pharmacy as a tech in texas.

Techs in states that do not require registration should push for it, it will make a difference in the wage eventually.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

iluvmonkey in Fremont, California

27 months ago

ms diamond in San Francisco/BAY AREA, California said: My background is in Sales and Marketing. I decided to attend a Pharm Tech course to familiarize myself with drugs (generic/trade). Part of the 6 month program included an externship in a retail drugstore, I eventually got hired from the externship. Working at a drugstore was not my goal, just used it to network and gain knowledge. I also volunteered at a nearby hospital because I knew that "inpatient" pharmacy paid more. Most pharm tech schools include IV compounding.
My goal is nuclear med/pharmacy. Plenty of jobs in biotech . I currently work as a SALES REP and make $128,000.
Getting your CPhT is usually requested at most companies/hospitals (better pay). As a SALES REP you are able to make your own hours. I schedule and attend luncheons/dinners (for presentations). My company gave me an auto , and a credit card line of credit. You are able to enter many different fields with a "pharm tech" education , not just a drugstore or hospital. Theres are manufacturing/ distribution and insurance organizations.
oh yeah, I also teach Pharm Tech at a local college at $48k annual.

I have worked in the hospital for 4 years and I just quitted in January 2012 and made 27/hours. I also taught Pharmacy Technician but due to low demands they cut hours off. I read your comment and I would like to become a sales/rep for a bio/pharmaceutical company. I have been looking around but no lucky yet. Do you have any recommendations which company are hiring?

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

iluvmonkey in Fremont, California

27 months ago

eileen in Pasadena, California said: I would like to suggest all the pharmacy technician's who have a lot of work experience to apply at the Department of Public Health . They do offer better hourly wage and salary $60,892.00 - $74,022.00/year, holidays, paid vacation, and other benefits. What county or city and state do you live? San Francisco Department of Public Health have job openings right now.

What job title should I be looking at? Pharmacy Technician?
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tsuky in Bedford, Texas

26 months ago

I would like to ask which textbook shall I buy to study for the exam. I live close to Dallas, if anybody can recommend a good book to study from I would be very thankful.

gary seattle in Bellevue, Washington

26 months ago

Newbie in Verona, Wisconsin said: I just saw the graph for pharmacy technician salaries posted on this site. Pharm tech's making 30k+/yr??? Is this true? I'm a certified pharm tech at WAGS, and I only make ~10/ hr . That's a little more than 20k/yr full time . Wow, does this mean there's hope for me? Give it to me straight, though, what kind of qualifications do these people have that I need? I like my job, but the low pay and seeming lack of advancement makes me dream of greener pastures.

I work at a nursing home pharmacy and I started at 13.00 per hour but I worked extra alot so I got a raise to 14.30 in a few months. I have been there for 3 years. There is alot of work to do and we get slammed plus the board of pharmacy only wants 3 techs per day, there used to be 4 techs. But I am pretty lucky to have a job. I will be moving to GA later so I hope I will be able to find
another job.

cynthiadiehl@gmail.com in Boerne, Texas

26 months ago

in texas you have to be a registered and a certified pharmacy tech. In wisconsin i dont believe they require you to be federally registered, so the wages will be alot less. The registered part helps to weed out techs who have previous felony history. The board has to approve your character in order to get registered. Try getting certified for IV, go to a hospital, the pay is usually good.

orange in Riverside, California

26 months ago

Hey so I work in CA, San Bernardino for Dignity Health and they start out for someone with no experience at $20/hr. I make $22/hr with amazing benefits and paid medical for my hubby and all my kids! It's a lot of work though and its union so you deal with all that kid of drama!

Alltheway in None of your business, California

26 months ago

Didn't sound very polite to me. "I'm just saying". But hey, stick in there. It's good to hear you will be verbal about how you feel. If more of us techs were verbal about all of this to our management then maybe we would all make a little more money.

Misled Duped Betrayed New Graduates in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

Alltheway in None of your business, California said: Didn't sound very polite to me. "I'm just saying". But hey, stick in there. It's good to hear you will be verbal about how you feel. If more of us techs were verbal about all of this to our management then maybe we would all make a little more money.

You only get money in a market where there is more demand and less supply. Since Tech market is so saturated, that the next "unemployed" tech is willing to take less for the job, then you are not going to get far with that. Everybody is dispensable, unless you own your own business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs_Tywanda in Baltimore, Maryland

25 months ago

Hello, I'm a chpt in Baltimore, MD looking for employment. Is your job hiring.

Ashley in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

25 months ago

I thought pharmacy technicians averaged at least $14/hour starting. I couldn't imagine living on $10/hr or even $14. I made $12/hour with a high school diploma as a lab assistant. I went back to school for only 19 months after my bachelors for CLS and make $25/hour. I think you should go back for something like nursing, radiology even, or CLS. There is a much higher demand for those fields as well as better pay and job satisfaction. For stress on a scale of 1-10, mine is about a 7. But it's a good stress most of the time I think, fast paced and I work with great people. I just think my time is worth more than $10-14/hr yours is too. Don't settle

malick mboumoh in Miami, Florida

22 months ago

Hello Guys. I just reading few of your comments here and I have noticed something. Why here is the pay low here in Florida for pharmacy technician? I have the PTCB and the State certification but I have seen anyone who is giving me at least $12/H . Which is really sad because I went to school for my degrees which cost me thousand of dollars. the pay for pharmacy tech in California is high compare to Florida.

kika in Tampa, Florida

22 months ago

malick mboumoh in Miami, Florida said: Hello Guys. I just reading few of your comments here and I have noticed something. Why here is the pay low here in Florida for pharmacy technician? I have the PTCB and the State certification but I have seen anyone who is giving me at least $12/H . Which is really sad because I went to school for my degrees which cost me thousand of dollars. the pay for pharmacy tech in California is high compare to Florida.

The Job Market its Saturated...due to all tose little tech schools out there, Pharmacy its very complicated and sometimes in order for you to move up in pay you have to keep applying and jumping around till you may get something you may like...another thing to keep in mind its that most techs rigth out of school will accept the $10/hour just because they wanna work, Big drug Chains wanna keep us down and pay low, but think about it they buil new buildings, they hire pharmacist, they make a huge proffit....if you can get the job done for less why not?....Pharmacy techs have to stop looking at all these very corrupt salary websites and we have to come together and set our prices,we should be at the same level as firefigthers pherhaps now more than ever since most states require a registration by the State board of pharmacy....They cannot operate without us, we must set standars for our profession...We need a real honest salary and information site on the web so that we can all relate and get the most out of this industry....I've been a tech for over 10years I have plenty of experience in manny areas including Oncology and Nuclear pharmacy...

Nat123 in Elmhurst, New York

21 months ago

Helloo. So i commented a few months ago about 8 months i think. I had the interview with ny presbyterian hospital and theyre pay was $19.65 an hr to start which isnt bad at all. I didnt get the job but hey it was worth a shot. I got a job with a health insurance company in the pharmacy dept as a helpdesk rep. I do prior authorizations for doctors and speak to members about their current pharmacy benefits. I love my job. I have a hugeeeee cubicle and my own stuff an computer and stuff and i have full benefits. Two weeks vacation. And one sick day per month. Its With union 1199. U shud all apply to the union 1199 its a big help they help u a lot. Oh and im getting start pay $16.50. But i sit on the fone all day. Not a hard job at all. U guys should look into applying to not only pharmacies but health insurances as well. Good luck everyone!! I start from the bottom making $7 an hr to $9 to $12.75 to now 16.50 all in less then 5 years. U can do it too!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

kika in Tampa, Florida said: The Job Market its Saturated...due to all tose little tech schools out there, Pharmacy its very complicated and sometimes in order for you to move up in pay you have to keep applying and jumping around till you may get something you may like...another thing to keep in mind its that most techs rigth out of school will accept the $10/hour just because they wanna work, Big drug Chains wanna keep us down and pay low, but think about it they buil new buildings, they hire pharmacist, they make a huge proffit....if you can get the job done for less why not?....Pharmacy techs have to stop looking at all these very corrupt salary websites and we have to come together and set our prices,we should be at the same level as firefigthers pherhaps now more than ever since most states require a registration by the State board of pharmacy....They cannot operate without us, we must set standars for our profession...We need a real honest salary and information site on the web so that we can all relate and get the most out of this industry....I've been a tech for over 10years I have plenty of experience in manny areas including Oncology and Nuclear pharmacy...

hello KIKA thanks to hear from you my friend. I see we living in the same state which is Florida. However you who have been TEch for over 10 years as you said. Tell where did you start working ? How was it at the beginning? THANKS

21 months ago

Nat123 in Elmhurst, New York said: Helloo. So i commented a few months ago about 8 months i think. I had the interview with ny presbyterian hospital and theyre pay was $19.65 an hr to start which isnt bad at all. I didnt get the job but hey it was worth a shot. I got a job with a health insurance company in the pharmacy dept as a helpdesk rep. I do prior authorizations for doctors and speak to members about their current pharmacy benefits. I love my job. I have a hugeeeee cubicle and my own stuff an computer and stuff and i have full benefits. Two weeks vacation. And one sick day per month. Its With union 1199. U shud all apply to the union 1199 its a big help they help u a lot. Oh and im getting start pay $16.50. But i sit on the fone all day. Not a hard job at all. U guys should look into applying to not only pharmacies but health insurances as well. Good luck everyone!! I start from the bottom making $7 an hr to $9 to $12.75 to now 16.50 all in less then 5 years. U can do it too!!

Thanks for your contribution NAT123. It is really encouraging . Well, now I have an offer of $11. I hope I will get something better. In the meantime I need to take the offer.

21 months ago

No problem! U shud never give up. 11 isnt bad and u should never stop applying. If your in the NY area you should apply to health insurances. I know amerigroup is hiring like crazy right now. Go to their website and apply online. They also start their techs at around 15-17 an hr. good luck and yes keep looking but take the offer, experience is the best to have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Nat123 in Elmhurst, New York said: No problem! U shud never give up. 11 isnt bad and u should never stop applying. If your in the NY area you should apply to health insurances. I know amerigroup is hiring like crazy right now. Go to their website and apply online. They also start their techs at around 15-17 an hr. good luck and yes keep looking but take the offer, experience is the best to have.

Alright NAT. Well, I leave in Florida especially in Miami. I will look into it anyway to see there is any opportunity for me . Another thing I have notice is you guys really get paid well in New-York .

21 months ago

Yeah cause NY is the busiest. Its a real fast paced environment. I know hospitals are crazy and at the pharmacies we dont sit and barely get to eat sometimes its real hard. Also life is more expensive. Our rent and houses are twice what it is in florida or anywhere in the south. Butttt dont give up. Everyone should download the indeed job search app on their phone. Ive gotte. Two jobs and an interview thru indeed. Its amazing. Sign up and get the app. Itll alert u about new jobs every single day. Just put pharmacy technician and ur area code or city name and whole bunch pops up. :-)

21 months ago

Yeah thanks once again NAtt123 I did download the APP on my phone yes it does get you some jobs posting when posted. I wondered when I noticed that last time about housing in NEW YORK compared to Miami or South of the country. Indeed really is a great website to seek a job. No doubt about it ! i am still looking my friend I hope to find something better soon. THANKS once again.

kay in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

20 months ago

Ashley in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I thought pharmacy technicians averaged at least $14/hour starting. I couldn't imagine living on $10/hr or even $14. I made $12/hour with a high school diploma as a lab assistant . I went back to school for only 19 months after my bachelors for CLS and make $25/hour. I think you should go back for something like nursing, radiology even, or CLS. There is a much higher demand for those fields as well as better pay and job satisfaction. For stress on a scale of 1-10, mine is about a 7. But it's a good stress most of the time I think, fast paced and I work with great people. I just think my time is worth more than $10-14/hr yours is too. Don't settle

Hi Ashley, Im from Oklahoma City too. I just got a Pham. Tech. at walmart for $8.55/hrs and they will train me on the job. I hear you mention about CLS, what is that? what schools offer that program? And how much it cost to back to schol for that? Thank you so much

kay in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

20 months ago

malick mboumoh in Miami, Florida said: Yeah thanks once again NAtt123 I did download the APP on my phone yes it does get you some jobs posting when posted. I wondered when I noticed that last time about housing in NEW YORK compared to Miami or South of the country. Indeed really is a great website to seek a job. No doubt about it ! i am still looking my friend I hope to find something better soon. THANKS once again.

What is that app called? Thank you

towser in Mississauga, Ontario

19 months ago

My advice to anyone working as a Pharmacy Technician is try to get employment in a hospital pharmacy. Pay scale is higher in a hospital setting compared to retail pharmacy. I work as a pharmacy technician in a Canadian hospital & get paid $29/hr, retail pharmacy up here ranges from $12-18/hr. We are now going thru the process of being Registered (licensed), whereby we will have authorization to check & release newly filled Rx's (no pharmacist involved, except to counsel patients) & to take verbal Rx's from physicians. Our Scope of Practice is changing & will open new doors for advancement.

Lori in Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

Hello, my name is Lori. I was just thinking about going to school for the same thing. I've been talking with a man from the school Allied. It's a school that offer the course online. His name is Rick Williams, he's the Senior Admissions Representative. Again the school is Allied Medical Schools.

LaShawn in Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

Misled Duped Betrayed New Graduates in Chicago, Illinois said: I just read this and couldn't help but to say it politely , Wow...Really! First of all I would love to know where this is that is giving their pharmacists "$20"
raise. But, lets look at this average annual raise is anywhere from 3 to 5% if you are lucky. So, if you are making about $60/ hr which is about avg. pay out there in CA. 3% raise would be $1.80 and 5% would be $3.00 an hour. But $20, that turns out to be about 33%. Now you are "thrown into Chemo with no raise..." You don't get to pick and choose what you like to do and how much. They don't bring you in to put away the boxes at $2 per hour, then fill the carts and that would another $2, and then you do IV's and that would be another $2 and god forbids, now you have to do "Chemo" and no wage increase! And "being taken advantage..." I mean really. Maybe some of your colleagues on this forum can bring you down to earth if they haven't already.

LMAO, WOW.

18 months ago

towser in Mississauga, Ontario said: My advice to anyone working as a Pharmacy Technician is try to get employment in a hospital pharmacy. Pay scale is higher in a hospital setting compared to retail pharmacy. I work as a pharmacy technician in a Canadian hospital & get paid $29/ hr , retail pharmacy up here ranges from $12-18/hr. We are now going thru the process of being Registered (licensed), whereby we will have authorization to check & release newly filled Rx's (no pharmacist involved, except to counsel patients) & to take verbal Rx's from physicians. Our Scope of Practice is changing & will open new doors for advancement.

hello Towser I am glad to read your pos about salary over. It is not easy to find a job as a pharmacy technician in the hospital here my friend. I went to a tech school I spent about 30,000$ and after I had all my certifications but I cant get my 12$/h. Before I was working in the hospitality since I switched to pharmacy technician job I am struggling to pay my bills. i dont have any saving when I pay my bills. I applied in several Hospitals in Miami but I have never been called even for an interview. I dont really know how the hiring process works in the hospital. So just to say we really want to work in the hospital but they dont hired us quickly like retail. now I am taking my pre-classes to go to a pharmacy school.

nightfalls in nightfalls, Nevada

18 months ago

LaShawn in Chicago, Illinois said: LMAO, WOW.

What's so funny about a 7 month old post? Misled says it all in their name. How can someone compare throwing out boxes to working with hazardous material. Anyone asked to add dangerous DNA altering chemicals to their job description should certainly be compensated for it.

LaShawn in Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

REREAD the post maybe you'll see what I found to be so funny.

SHOLMES in Nebraska

18 months ago

Chemo is not a DNA altering chemicals. If we are going to ask for more money then we need to educated ourselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nightfalls in nightfalls, Nevada

18 months ago

SHOLMES in Nebraska said: Chemo is not a DNA altering chemicals. If we are going to ask for more money then we need to educated ourselves.

Ok mr know it all. That stuff DESTROYS your cells. So DNA altering or not it has the potential to damage the hell out of your body. Chemo is more of a specialized field as well. Good for anyone to speak up about something that doesn't make them comfortable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SHOLMES in Nebraska

18 months ago

First off its Mrs Know It All. Second I really didn't mean that to be rude, I really believe that if you are going to ask for more money or encourage someone else to you need to know what your talking about. I am not sure why you think that mixing a chemo is any worse then mixing any other IV. If you are mixing a chemo you are gowned, gloved, masked in a neg pressure room, with a neg pressure hood, and probably not even using a needle since almost all chemo now is made using some sort of needless system such as phaseal. Most of the time if you are working with a hazardous drug, there are probably a lot of safe guards put in place which makes it pretty safe for the mixing tech and nursing staff.

Meg in San Francisco, California

17 months ago

I make IV chemo! As for pay, I do not make more because I am chemo trained.. although our union has been trying for some time for a differential. Sholmes, CHEMO DRUGS ALTER DNA, are you nuts?! Its absolutely more dangerous than reg iv drugs. Yes with isolators and phaseal, its way safer for us techs than what it used to be but there are still risks and trace chemo is still found in work areas!!
I like working in chemo, but I dont want to be doing it for more than a few years due to health risks... However, I am doing something so helpful to cancer patients! Somebody has to do it...
As for the initial salary question, Ive been a tech for 8 years. I work inpatient
pharmacy and I make $28/hr. Hospital is the way to go for more cash.. retail pay is crap!

17 months ago

Meg in San Francisco, California said: I make IV chemo! As for pay, I do not make more because I am chemo trained.. although our union has been trying for some time for a differential. Sholmes, CHEMO DRUGS ALTER DNA, are you nuts?! Its absolutely more dangerous than reg iv drugs. Yes with isolators and phaseal, its way safer for us techs than what it used to be but there are still risks and trace chemo is still found in work areas!!
I like working in chemo, but I dont want to be doing it for more than a few years due to health risks... However, I am doing something so helpful to cancer patients! Somebody has to do it...
As for the initial salary question, Ive been a tech for 8 years. I work inpatient
pharmacy and I make $28/hr. Hospital is the way to go for more cash.. retail pay is crap!

Congrats Meg. the thing is its really hard to find the job @ the hospital I since applied the retails are the ones mostly get respond from quickly. Also San Fran is a great area the pay is great over there.

Meg in Oakland, California

17 months ago

malick mboumoh in Miami, Florida said: Congrats Meg. the thing is its really hard to find the job @ the hospital I since applied the retails are the ones mostly get respond from quickly. Also San Fran is a great area the pay is great over there.

try temp agencies... It sucks temping and its scary! but thats how I got my job at UCSF Med.

17 months ago

Ok Temporary you meant ???

SHOLMES in Nebraska

17 months ago

Meg in San Francisco, California said: I make IV chemo! As for pay, I do not make more because I am chemo trained.. although our union has been trying for some time for a differential. Sholmes, CHEMO DRUGS ALTER DNA, are you nuts?! Its absolutely more dangerous than reg iv drugs. Yes with isolators and phaseal, its way safer for us techs than what it used to be but there are still risks and trace chemo is still found in work areas!!

I you work in a chemo clinic then maybe you should sit down with one of you pharmac

SHOLMES in Nebraska

17 months ago

If you work in an Oncology clinic then maybe you should sit down with one of your pharmacists and ask them to explain to you in very simple terms how Chemo works. It destroys your cell both cancerous and healthy cells, in no way does it alter you dna. Yes it is more dangerous to work with then other IV's, but it is not altering your dna. When you try to argue something before you have educated yourself on the topic you just sould dumb. Sorry.

17 months ago

SHOLMES in Nebraska said: If you work in an Oncology clinic then maybe you should sit down with one of your pharmacists and ask them to explain to you in very simple terms how Chemo works. It destroys your cell both cancerous and healthy cells, in no way does it alter you dna. Yes it is more dangerous to work with then other IV's, but it is not altering your dna. When you try to argue something before you have educated yourself on the topic you just sould dumb. Sorry.

Wow...you are so wrong. I make iv chemotherapy for one of the top hospitals in the country. I dont need to sit with a pharmacist.
Alkylating chemos like cytoxan and ifos DAMAGE DNA to prevent cells from reproducing. Cant destroy a cell without destroying its dna. duh. do you know what cancer is?!
It may not be altering MY dna as im making it because im not injecting myself but it definitely increases your risk for cancer.

17 months ago

malick mboumoh in Miami, Florida said: Ok Temporary you meant ???

yeah.. a staffing agency can set you up with a contract job. It can possibly get you in the door somewhere. At my job now, I was a "temp" and after 7 months I was officially hired. I had lots of experience before, but some of my other co workers started with no experience and they were hired too.

Cindy in Boerne, Texas

17 months ago

Meg in Oakland, California said: Wow...you are so wrong. I make iv chemotherapy for one of the top hospitals in the country. I dont need to sit with a pharmacist.
Alkylating chemos like cytoxan and ifos DAMAGE DNA to prevent cells from reproducing. Cant destroy a cell without destroying its dna. duh. do you know what cancer is?!
It may not be altering MY dna as im making it because im not injecting myself but it definitely increases your risk for cancer.

Chemotherapy is an accepted method by the mainstream medical establishment as a means to fight against cancer, but its effectiveness and reliability is highly in question. Now, research even brings into question the effect chemotherapy has on your entire hereditary line, with researchers linking chemotherapy drug usage with DNA mutations that extend to your offspring.

You probably know somebody who has undergone some cancer treatment at one point or another. The effects of chemotherapy on the body are highly destructive, and often leave the cancer patient in a worse state than they were in before.

Chemotherapy Ruins Genes for Future Generations

Unfortunately, using an unnatural chemical substance to effectively blast the cancer cells has the same effect on the healthy functioning cells as well. As a result, most chemotherapy patients are highly damaged by the process and sometimes sustain injuries that are irrevocable.

Three common drugs used for chemotherapy have been found to cause DNA mutations within the users. This is already highly dangerous, but according to new research, this damage may have the ability to pass into future generations. These findings shed light on the long term negative effects pharmaceuticals are having on our bodies. If the bodily effects were not enough to cope with, the use of these treatments may actually have a long term effect on the health of those to come afterward.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Boerne, Texas

17 months ago

If you are working in a lab making chemo ivs, good for you. If you think you don't get paid enough, leave and quit complaining, no one made you go there or stay there. HRT is dangerous too, I worked in a compounding lab. It is a choice to help people, so go to retail and have something to complain about, or stay where you are and truly help people. Working with chemo can and will probably alter something in future generations. Be careful, and good luck

SHOLMES in Nebraska

17 months ago

Meg in Oakland, California said: Wow...you are so wrong. I make iv chemotherapy for one of the top hospitals in the country. I dont need to sit with a pharmacist.

Yes chemo does destroy the cell without destroying your dna. Your body will regenerate the cells that are destroyed by chemo and those new cells will have the same dna as all of your other cells. The new cells will be made up of the same dna that you mommy and daddy gave you when they conceived you. I have worked in the medical field for many years and have known many people with cancer and I have never seen one of them mutate into something else.

JJ in texas

17 months ago

I have to agree with miss Meg here. There are alot of Genotoxic drugs used for chemotherapy that affect DNA. It may not be visible to the naked eye but it does. There is a reason women who have gone through chemotherapy have higher chances of concieving kids with deformities.

Alkylating agents: The first class of chemotherapy agents used. These drugs modify the bases of DNA, interfering with DNA replication and transcription and leading to mutations.

Intercalating agents: These drugs wedge themselves into the spaces between the nucleotides in the DNA double helix. They interfere with transcription, replication and induce mutations.

Enzyme inhibitors: These drugs inhibit key enzymes, such as topoisomerases, involved in DNA replication inducing DNA damage.(1)

17 months ago

zendancer in Sarasota, Florida said: I made $9.17 an hour when I left CVS ...I transitioned to a hospital gig which pays $16.53 an hour. Cut your teeth in retail, then get out. That's the only way to make any money.

how did you get hired in the hospitaal my friend?

artist101 in Hobart, Indiana

16 months ago

sarah in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Walgreens is a great place to work. I worked there as a tech in college and when I started it was $12 per hour and I went up to $17 fairly quickly and this was 8 years ago so Im sure that it would be more now.

The benefits with Walgreens are really superior. I actually regret quitting that job now, even though I earn more than double that with my current job.

Good luck!

I was a pharmacy tech for 8 years, what job are you doing now that is double what you made at walgreens? Does it have anything to do with pharmacy?

artist101 in Hobart, Indiana

16 months ago

I was a pharmacy tech for 8 years, what job are you doing now that is double that? Does it have anything to do with pharmacy/or medical? Ive been looking for a job for years since I was laid off. I loved it too. i ahven't found anything yet, have tried every area I could think of, from billing, medical reception, to sales rep.

Page:  « First « Previous   22  23  24  25  26  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.