pharmacy technician salary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 1266)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

DC in Hayward, California

79 months ago

Hello,

I am thinking about going to school for pharmacy technician. I have a B.S. in business but want to get into pharmacy and work part-time while my kids are in school.

I am in the San Jose area in California. Can anyone give me information on the job market and the pay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rjc

79 months ago

Your best bet is to check with kaiser I hear that they pay real well and there all over calif.

rjc

79 months ago

I'm a pharm tech with cvs and I want to know if anyone out there was a cvs tech like myself and now is working for caremark. Just wanted to know if they gave you a different pay scale and how hard was it to get the job now that there one company

79 months ago

ms diamond in San Francisco/BAY AREA, California said: My background is in Sales and Marketing. I decided to attend a Pharm Tech course to familiarize myself with drugs (generic/trade). Part of the 6 month program included an externship in a retail drugstore, I eventually got hired from the externship. Working at a drugstore was not my goal, just used it to network and gain knowledge. I also volunteered at a nearby hospital because I knew that "inpatient" pharmacy paid more. Most pharm tech schools include IV compounding.
My goal is nuclear med/pharmacy. Plenty of jobs in biotech. I currently work as a SALES REP and make $128,000.
Getting your CPhT is usually requested at most companies/hospitals (better pay). As a SALES REP you are able to make your own hours. I schedule and attend luncheons/dinners (for presentations). My company gave me an auto, and a credit card line of credit. You are able to enter many different fields with a "pharm tech" education, not just a drugstore or hospital. Theres are manufacturing/distribution and insurance organizations.
oh yeah, I also teach Pharm Tech at a local college at $48k annual.

Hello,

I am also in the Bay Area and interested in taking the class. What is the average pay per hour around here? Is it easy for people without experience to get hired?

You are doing great with 12K per year! I have teenagers at home and would like to start working part-time. My main goal is to work at a hospital for medical and retirement benefits when my husband gets burnt out from his hi-tech job.

Thanks!!

Keith in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

This site has average pharmacy technician pay for each state www.uspharmd.com/technician/Pharmacy_Tech_Salary.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Keith in Los Angeles, California said: This site has average pharmacy technician pay for each state www.uspharmd.com/technician/Pharmacy_Tech_Salary.html

I was disappointed to see the average in CA is 16/hr. That's about what high school kids make now.

If anyone in San Jose area is in the business, please let me know the pay in the Bay Area. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stephcpht in Apollo, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

I've been working as a certified pharm tech for 3 yrs and making $11/hour in pennsylvania am I being under payed. I work in a compounging lab enviroment.

rjc

79 months ago

yes you are, try working in the hospital are maybe someone like caremark, medco or cardinal health

Ty in Long Beach, California

78 months ago

I finished the course in pharmacy technician school and got my liscence and have been working at CVS in southern california for just 6 months, but i'm not PTCB certified. I make 10.65 an hour. Compared to the other people working in California, my wage seems a little low. I wonder if it is because I am not PTCB certified? how much of a wage should I expect if i do get PTCB certified?

rjc

78 months ago

Don't worry about pay so much for now, concentrate on being nationally board certified, you may get a $1.oo pay increase but soon as you can leave cheap cvs and try getting on with kaiser or another hospital, retail pharmacies don't pay you anything but get all the experience you can from them and move on.

cath in san francisco, California

78 months ago

hi to all pharmacy technician out there..i just want ask some advice from all of you guys.I am still student but soon to be a pharmacy technician. Where do you think the best place to take your externship hospital(inpatient and outpatient) or retail pls reply on my msg.. thanks a lot

rjc

78 months ago

seeing that you are in calif. go to kaiser and get a job the pay is going to be good and also they are a good company to work for, also if you have any spare time work for a retail pharmacy, they are always looking for someone to do weekend duty

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Saint Louis, Missouri

78 months ago

Can anyone tell me what it cost to attend Pharmacy Technician classes? The "schools" don't want to give you the cost over the telephone. I don't even want to consider it until I know the full expense of attending the classes. I work full-time and would attend classes in the evening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

stephcpht in Apollo, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

I'm not sure of the cost anymor But working full-time, you may want to look at doing it on-line. I also think the cost is a little less expensive.

Jimmy in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

I've been working in Houston as a Pharmacy technician for nearly four years and have yet to see $1 in raises in 4 years.
I was told that this was a promising career move. Promising for who is my question. I feel that Pharmacy technicians are extremely over worked and severely under paid, atleast in Houston.
The company that I work for is constantly putting more and more responsibility on the technicians but never compensating us for it. Is there any hope for an increase in wages for the little people in the pharmacy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rjc

78 months ago

First question to you. Do you work in retail or a hospital pharmacy because the retail setting is always trying to low ball techs with pay. My advice to you is to get a job in the hospital your pay will increase by $ 3.oo per hour right off the bat or try getting a job with caremark in ft. worth or san antonio if your able to move because they pay $16.oo per hour walking through the door.

xttian in New York, New York

78 months ago

me too.

sharon

78 months ago

Lybinka in Harrison, Arkansas said: I've worked Hospital and Retail in this area. The pay in AR "bites"....Most I made was $10.00 an hour and I am Certified since 2003 and am 50 yrs old. Have been a Tech. since 1986....

I am very interesting in working as a Pharmacy Technician. With no direct training or experience I am thinking about taking a course at a school in Memphis, Tennessee. However, I would like to know if its worth all the money for the training, or is it just as easy to apply and be trained on the job? Someone please help me with this...Thx

sharon

78 months ago

Hello, I am very interested in working as a Pharmacy Technician. With no training or experience I am considering taking a course at a school in Memphis, Tennessee. But, from reading some of these comments, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the money that it will cost for the training when it seems it's even more simplier to apply for the job and recieve the training from wherever hired. Someone please shed some light on this situation for me.

rjc

78 months ago

Good question, for me I went to a local jc in charlotte, nc and took the class, when I was finished I waited until I was hired by cvs before I took the national board exam. Cvs had a pharmacy tech trainer who taught me more about the pharmacy tech world than the jc teacher did. jc means junior or community college.The most important thing about being a pharm tech is being national certified that's that 4 hour test you have to take. So in closing save your money, get hired by a retail pharmacy and let their pharm tech trainer prepare you for that test becuase it's $120 if I remember. Once you become certified, seek a job with a drug company like medco or caremark or a tech job in the hospital you'll find that the pay is better. Also the retail pharmacy that you work for will pay for your first attemp at your national board exam, good luck

rjc

78 months ago

move from ark.

Keith in Downey, California

78 months ago

sharon said: Hello, I am very interested in working as a Pharmacy Technician. With no training or experience.

Just go to the pharmacy (ie CVS,...) and apply for pharmacy clerk position. You might just get hire. You could test the field before committing to pharmacy technician school or program.

j in North Hills, California

78 months ago

i was working pharmacy tech i made about 1 million dollars a year a was very happy and very very luckkyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!YIIIIIIIIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

TIFFANY FAITH in Dallas, Texas

78 months ago

I NOW WORK FOR AN INDEPENDENT PHARMACY MAKING $17.50 PER HOUR. I HAVE WORKED THERE FOR 8+ YEARS. IS THIS A COMPETITIVE SALARY? I AM NOT FOR SURE. ANY FEEDBACK ANYONE?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Daytrip67 in Schaumburg, Illinois

78 months ago

I live in the Chicago area but I'm thinking of moving back to NYC. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good companies or hospitals that pay well in Manhattan.

Thanks

Sally in Modesto, California

78 months ago

I work as a pharmacy tech in a closed door pharmacy. We cater to over 200 nursing
homes.A friend helped me get hired in this job. she put in a good word for me.
I started with 10.50 and I am now making 12.75 after two years. It is a small
company with less than 20 employees.I am taking my certification exam in June.
I expect a $1--$2 increase when I pass the board.
In the San Joaquin county it is hard to find a good paying job. I am happy to
work 40 hours plus overtime a week. It is a good job.

adelyn in walnut creek, California

78 months ago

I just graduated last year, got my diploma and I already submit my state license application. Now I am preparing for my exam for the PTCB.
All I need is to have the externship and I was trying hard to get into it. I have interview at walgreens recently and I asked them if there will be a problem for me to get the extern. because I dont have any experience and they said "NO, that's why we're here to trained you and walgreens have a good training program". But, when I follow-up my extern. yesterday and guess what he said " I can't place you inside of the pharmacy because lack of experience in the pharmacies".
It doesnt make sense to me, that's why I need and want to take the externship. The thing is I am very excited, because I thought I got the externship already. They told me also that after my externship they will send me to the other walgreens location.
I dont know what to do now? No one hired me because they want experience in the pharmacy.

Valerie in Long Beach, California

77 months ago

Hi. I am interested in going to school to be a Pharmacy Tech. Does anyone have any suggestions for schooling, preferably the "best" to go to in terms of better chances of being hired for a more lucrative paying job. I've looked up schools on the internet, but most of them seem like car dealerships online LOL. Thanks in advance. Oh, and hopefully somewhere in a 20 mile radius of Long Beach CA.

Also, any additional certifications, schooling, etc. that would help my future career as a Pharmacy Tech.

Thanks!

Elizabeth in Schaumburg, Illinois

77 months ago

Maybe it's not your lack of experience why you don't have a job in pharmacy technician yet. Have you checked your attitude? Why don't you try volunteering in a hopital(as a pharmacy technician)like the gentleman suggested? I know it's hard staying positive when you can't get a job in your field, but negativity isn't going to get you anywhere. Best of luck.

Cindy Kagan in Hamilton, Montana

77 months ago

falisha in Moultrie, Georgia said: ok i still don't have a job in pharmacy tech so that's not doing anything for me. they won't hire me but they will hire someone else so i wasted 1yr1/2 of school graduated and everything from pharmcy technology diplom and certified pharmacy tech in a year i won't be certified because i won't have no ce credits so i realy want to know or someone help me get a pharmacy tech job

You can go online and get your CE certification credits at PowerPak, so keep those up. No you didn't waste 1 1/2 years in school. Keep looking for a job. Another suggestion is the "Little Brown Book". Polish up that resume, and everything you write-make sure it doesn't contain typographical errors or improper grammar. Filling prescriptions is a fun and rewarding job. Also, just because you have that certificate, don't pass up opportunities to take additional classes, such as biology, lab technician certification, medical terminology. The sky is the limit in this area of work. You showed your interest by completing your studies, and your ability to learn. Get into a good pharmacy where your co-workers are a team and willing to help you get going. Don't give up.

Neha in Aurora, Illinois

77 months ago

I passed my certification in 2005 and found a job at CVS pharmacy on 02/25/08, its been only like 8 days but I am feeling frustrated . I am finding it very difficult to do this job. Even though I am certified and everything but I am finding it is not as easy as I thought it will be .Is anybody had this problem ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

pharmtech313 in Los Angeles, California

77 months ago

I have been licensed since 2003, did my internship at an inpatient pharmacy and worked for another one per diem @ $17/hr but they didn't give me enough hours so i quit. i lasted about less than a month in retail, it was way too busy (the one i worked at at least). i guess i didn't like that they just threw me out there and i had no experience in retail at all, so i felt incompetent and quit. i have also worked as a prior authorization tech for over a year at 33K/yr but i had moral issues about how that company was ran and the whole insurance business/pharmacy benefit management in general. i felt bad having to deny patients meds and tell them that. definitely wasn't for me, i didn't feel like i was 'helping' them. also, that whole call center environment was stressful because of the constant pressure, cold-heartedness to the pt's and bad management. i have recently had a hard time finding a job in an inpatient pharmacy, i haven't gotten any calls back for interviews. i had one interview which i thought went well, but never heard from them after the final interview. i must need brushing up on my interview skills. i have recently started college again to enter the RN program in the future if i don't change my mind, might possibly volunteer to see if nursing is really for me. it is hard to find an 8-5 type of schedule in pharmacy, so i have recently decided to go to an employment agency for data entry jobs because i plan on focusing on school for now.

i have thought about volunteering in a local hospital to possibly get my foot in the door in the pharmacy. how is that going for you? i can't decide if i want to do that or just volunteer and shadow a nurse so i can see if it is right for me.

Gloria Garza in San Antonio, Texas

77 months ago

Hi, I'm a High School senior looking into what kind of career I should follow and I came across and still considering being a pharmacy tech. My question is, Is it better to attened a University or just get into an institute like Southern Careers and be done with it in two years than in four? Also would it all be worth it?
Please be my savior and e-mail me with your opinion
invadeblah@yahoo.com

GERRY in Sacramento, California

77 months ago

DO go TO A UNIVERSITY,Most OF THE PEOPLE IN PHARMACY I KNOW USe THE JOB AS A STEPPING STONE.The JOB DOES NOT PAY ENOUGH EVEN WHEN YOU REACH THE TOP OF THE PAY SCALE.Go to the university while your still young.A tech job becomes routine and boring and you work with a lot of unhappy low achievers.respect and your opinion
in almost non existent.

Cindy Dunn in Hanford, California

77 months ago

Im a pharmacy tech in ca. Ive been doing in home care making better money than techs do. The down side to this is I just got married and we want to get pregnant therefore I need to get a job as a tech so that I can get maternity leave, mine doesnt right now. In the meantime my license expired about 5 years ago. I have no idea how or if Im able to renew it. If anyone could help me to get my license renewed please let me know, any info would be helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

john in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

77 months ago

I will never understand why people get married, and feel they have to have a bady this very min or right away...from your statement, you have nothing to offer as a pharmacy tech, as you clearly want to do this just so you can go on maternity leave, so I will assume your new husband does not have insurance that will cover this, this leaves this wide open, why have a baby if you can not afford one? you are making a joke of pharmacy techs, your not looking for a job, your looking for a job to have a baby so someone else can pay for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

tunde madamidola in Atlanta, Georgia

77 months ago

I have gone through all comments,and i could see some encouraging comments and at same time ,felt pitous for those who hasnt gotten a job in the field...Well,am just a beginner in the field and will be graduating by May.
My question is 'Do anyone has any idea about places you could get hired easily'?Whats the pay like in atlanta georgia?Does the PTCB cert works for every state or do i have to register with Georgia State?cos am taking an online course far away from Georgia...
thanks....

rjc

77 months ago

My friend, since you are in georgia go straight to kaiser permenete and get a job. I hear that they pay 16.00 p/h with no experience they are a good company to work for and if you can't get a job with kaiser, then any hospital that is connected with the teneth health group. remember one thing, get hospital experience first if you can because if you have hospital experience you can work in a hospital or retail setting but if you only have retail experienc the hospitals are very slow about hiring a tech with only retail experience, good luck

77 months ago

May God richly bless you for this piece of information you have given me.

rjc

77 months ago

thank you, who knows you my see me in atl this fall working for kaiser after I retire from my current job in the airlines

77 months ago

lollllllll.well its possible.bt if i may ask which of the airlines do you work with?and i have another question,if i finally get my certification(ptcb)is it going to be recognised in all states or a particular states ,because i know Georgia might be acting funny.
thnks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

77 months ago

tunde madamidola in Atlanta, Georgia said: lollllllll.well its possible.bt if i may ask which of the airlines do you work with?and i have another question,if i finally get my certification(ptcb)is it going to be recognised in all states or a particular states ,because i know Georgia might be acting funny.
thnks

PTCB national cert is good for all US states.

rjc

77 months ago

america west, now if you are nationally certifed you know the test that takes almost 3 hours to complete, well every state accectps that however some states may what you to be state certifed as well such as south carolina and that may create some problems, so in closing some states may want you to be nationally certified, state certified, and state registerd

Leona in Union City, California

77 months ago

I am a 35yrs old staying home mother of two and thinking of going back to school to be a pharmacy tech once my youngest start pre-school. I live in Bay area Calif and have been a full time mom for the last 5yrs. I probably only have few courses left, maybe a full semester,for my AA degree in business at a community college but I want something that would guaranty me a career and a reasonable salary. do you think I should go for this, pharmacy tech!

GERRY in Sacramento, California

77 months ago

I think,living in the bay area, you will make a great salary for being a pharmacy tech between $18 to 27 hr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daytrip67 in Schaumburg, Illinois

77 months ago

I'm in a pharmacy tech program now and finish in June. Does anyone have any idea of any good companies or hospitals to work at in the Chicago area that pay well??

Thanks

john in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

77 months ago

Leona in Union City, California said: I am a 35yrs old staying home mother of two and thinking of going back to school to be a pharmacy tech once my youngest start pre-school. I live in Bay area Calif and have been a full time mom for the last 5yrs. I probably only have few courses left, maybe a full semester,for my AA degree in business at a community college but I want something that would guaranty me a career and a reasonable salary. do you think I should go for this, pharmacy tech!

no.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Liz Nguyen in San Jose, California

77 months ago

GERRY in Sacramento, California said: I think,living in the bay area, you will make a great salary for being a pharmacy tech between $18 to 27 hr.

I have CA license but I can't find jobs. Can you help me how to find any jobs in pharmacy with salary greater than $10 is fine for me? Thank you so much

Institutional in Irving, Texas

77 months ago

I've been out of the field for a while, but I was offered 40K to work at the children's hospital here in Dallas. I made 30+ in Austin as a lead tech in their children's hospital with just a few years experience. From what I hear, hospitals pay better than retail.

Carl W. in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

77 months ago

I am about to take a pharm tech 1 course. i was told it is an uder paid position by my sister and cousin, both cert & diploma. the college i'm attending (( says )) they will have a job waiting 4 me. salary.com here in milw wi, is ok but thats on paper, kind of iffy should i proceed into this feild. open to any advice. thanx..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.