the worse place to work as a Pharmacy Technician

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 505)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

sammie in Evans City, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

SummerDay in Atlanta, Georgia said: CVS hands down!!!!

-the pay sucks
-understaffed
-no breaks
-no lunches

amazing we live in two different states and you could of been talking about my store...must be company wide!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

thecropchick in baltimore, Maryland

58 months ago

sammie in Evans City, Pennsylvania said: amazing we live in two different states and you could of been talking about my store...must be company wide!

Then why not report them to the labor board!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

techinoc in La Palma, California

58 months ago

Its just like the fast-food assembly line, lol. Rite Aid wants those waiters out in 15 minutes! I think those patients would have to wait longer for burger than for their prescription. Im leaving RA by next year for a better career and Im not stressing anymore. It can get to the point that when you get home, you just want to turn off the phone just in case the pharmacist cant find the paperwork that hes too lazy to look in the file for

techinoc in La Palma, California

58 months ago

techinoc in La Palma, California said: Its just like the fast-food assembly line, lol. Rite Aid wants those waiters out in 15 minutes! I think those patients would have to wait longer for burger than for their prescription. Im leaving RA by next year for a better career and Im not stressing anymore. It can get to the point that when you get home, you just want to turn off the phone just in case the pharmacist cant find the paperwork that hes too lazy to look in the file for

I always screen calls just in case RA calls and a pharmacist calls me for something. I used clock out and still work off the clock, and I realized, there is no way to ever get caught up, the scripts will always pile up, and the phone will always ring and it doesnt matter how much time you put in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CarrieJuicy in Ringgold, Georgia

58 months ago

What really gets me the most is the new pharmacist that are hired and know nothing about the computer system. The techs end up showing them all the techniques and ins and outs of the insurance. Then they end up making far more money then the techs. I also let my machine answer any calls on days off because more than often I get called in. If you said no then your not a team member and they cut back some of your hours so I just quit answering the calls and let the machine get it and said we were out and didn't get the message until it was to late. So now the pharmacist phones my cell phone. At first she would phone from cvs and I could see it on my screen and let it go to voice mail now she phones from her cell and blocks her number so I can't see who it is. Now I just don't bother answering any phones. One of the techs that just quit got her hours cut from full time down to only a few shifts because the pharmacist wanted her gone but they wouldn't firer her so she could receive un-employment. Towards the end she had gone 2 weeks not even being on the schedule. She asked for a Saturday off 2 weeks in advance and was told she could have it off and guess what that was the only day they scheduled her. She was so peed off she just gave up and quit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tiredtech in Hartland, Michigan

58 months ago

CarrieJuicy in Ringgold, Georgia said: I've been working for CVS for almost 6 years now. My pay is 11.65/hr. I'm hoping to make 12 by December when I hit 6 years but I doubt it. Everything that everybody has said I agree strongly with. I can't tell you how many people have come and gone in that pharmacy. I at least get a 30 minute break but forget about even asking for your (2) 15 minutes breaks. The store manager says that if we ask for them then anytime we have to go to the bathroom then we have to use them for that. We just found out that corp is putting us on a skeletion crew, like as if we didn't have one already. Our new PIC is a real witch she's aleady made 2 tech so angry that they've quit and I'm on the look out for a new job. The triple s scores are really killing us along with our extra care card scores, and those PCI calls, which people hate us calling them on Saturdays and Sundays and scream at us for it. Every weekend we have at least 12 pages to due. We haven't had a counter in over a year and if your on production you have to do that and answer phones and take drive thru and front if someones on break. We're no longer allowed to take insurance cards but have to write the info down because we accidently lost one guys insurance card and he said we lost it on purpose because he was mexican. Because our score on the ready fill is low we were told to sign people up if they want it or not. So now when that anonying machine calls to tell them to come and pick up their prescription they phone us to ask what prescrition and they didn't tell us to sign then up and to take them off it. So our calls have increased now. Everybody calls about the dumbest things and never take responsibilty to find from the doctor what that medicine is for before they shovel it in their mouths. If a patient phones the doctor for a refill their told to phone us for a fax. Again more calls. Insurance is all our fault and if we don't have it done in 5 minutes your yelled at.

anoblekree (at the end of my rope) in Virginia Beach, Virginia

58 months ago

Ok sounds like CVS sucks pretty bad.. but I need a job and was thinking about applying there and taking my chances. I have no experience and I'm having a hard time getting my foot in the door even though I am registered and certified. Can anyone tell me how the hiring works there? Is there a paper app involved or computer? Is it a long process to apply? I went to Wal-Greens and there was a test involved, does CVS do the same? I'm nervous and my confidence is shot. I'd love Any info that would help me prepare to walk in there. Thanks...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

techinoc in Los Angeles, California

58 months ago

I think you would be better off in a Rite Aid or CVs that has a union. As far as I know, Rite Aid doesnt have a test for tech except a test for hiring that just asks about your integrety, if you have stolen anything before, used drugs, etc. Just apply to as many places as you can, you can do what I did, I mad several copies of my resume and I just got address for different pharmacies and I mailed them out or if you have their fax# you can fax them over, its worth a try.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

i hate cvs in Trenton, New Jersey

58 months ago

STAY AWAY FROM CVS PHARMACY. you train sooo much, they act like working in the pharmacy is brain surgery when you're getting paid nothing and it's not even that hard. yeah, it gets busy and yeah it gets stressful but the pharmacists and managers get so into their job it makes me sick. i could seriously go on forever about all the things i hate about cvs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sammyy in West Chester, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

that last post didn't make much sense but i think i know what you meant. the people in my pharmacy are so ignorant and care about only themselves. i remember one day i really truly wasn't feeling well to the point where i almost passed out, i told one of the lead techs and they just told me i'd be fine and to continue working. i was like are you serious? and for the person above me i know what you mean like i got paid nothing and they acted like i was working for the president with all the training i had to do. and the customers are the worst. to be completely honest i know that most of the old people that come and pick up prescriptions are perfectly fine, they just have nothing to do with their life so they come in all the time to get prescriptions that they don't even need anymore. it may sound stupid but if you really think about it it's so true. like why waste our time? the people coming from the hospitals to get medication and the people getting antibiotics are, in my opinion, the most important people when it comes to getting prescriptions. and the pharmacists act like their job is so hard--bitchh please, all you do is answer some phones, check some prescriptions, and go to consult every now and then--get over it, the techs work a hell of a lot harder, the pharmacists just went to school longer but honestly most of them don't even know what they're talking about half the time.
ok i'm done i hate cvs goodbye!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pharm in Granger, Indiana

58 months ago

Oh please, to be a "Tech" at a Pharmacy is just like being a cashier with just a little bit more responsibility. The Pharmacists act like they are some MD or so. I am just talking about retail Pharmacy. Most customers are just a pain in the A**. Some Techs believe they are Gods gift to somebody on Medicaid who's Insurance got cut off and now they have to pay $2.00 for a couple of Ibuprofen. They actually call over there, wait for a freaking 15 minutes to talk to somebody so they can give it to the people for free. Stop wasting my hard earned Tax $$ on those losers. All we do is fill Pills, deal with Insurance crap, answer stupid questions on the Phone and use the cash register. Oh and some of us CRAWL in the Pharmacists A**. :) It is an all right part time job but to try to make a living from it is pathetic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude_CPhT in Hyde Park, Massachusetts

58 months ago

Idiot working for CVS in Granger, Indiana said: How many Tech's do you know who live by themselves AND support a Family on a Tech salary? I do not know ANYBODY. Most full time Tech's I know have a partner who makes the real money and most single Tech's with kids are also on Welfare! Let's be honest here. Tech's are only a very, very small step above a cashier, right? 10-15$ an hour is usually it! I only work part time (under 20 hours a week) for some extra weekend money for our Teenage daughter:) Without my hubby's REAL salary we would be screwed!!!

You are probably right most pharmacy technicians with children are most likely on "Welfare/Food Stamps". At $10.00 an hour, how can anyone afford rent, healthcare, food, and clothing it's extremely difficult especially if you have children. Also, it's very rare to find a pharmacy technician who works fulltime in retail, most are part timers.

When I worked at CVS/Pharmacy you could consider yourself lucky if you worked over 25 hours a week. Its kind of strange when you think about someone who might have taken out a loan to attend pharmacy technician training school and when they get out they have this big loan hanging over their head along with the tragic reality that they are working for such a low wage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

former CVSer

58 months ago

idiot in granger... Who is the lead tech at edison now? is the witch still the pic? is Tammy still there?
Thanks.. glad I am gone

brown_dude_CPhT in Hyde Park, Massachusetts

58 months ago

Laughing at loud at this post I am a former CVS/Pharmacy technician myself so trust me I know what you have experienced and I can validate that the same nightmarish pharmacy technician experience is nationwide. Just read all the posts on this forum. These are former and current employee testimonials.

I know for a fact they are not fabricating stories about CVS/Pharmacy. I find it humorous that all former CVS technicians are reporting the same horrendous experiences nation wide. CVS/Pharmacy is just too big to fight, go back to school get a college degree and find a real company to work for.

Working in a CVS/Pharmacy retail store is an experience worth skipping. All that stress will end up making you sick in the long run. CVS/Pharmacy is the Wal-Mart of retail pharmacy. They will work you like a dog and their stress filled corporate retail environment will end up making you psychologically sick.

On top of that their healthcare plans are minimal. They don’t care about their employees like I posted in a previous post all you are is an active number in CVS corporate mega computers. It’s very rare to find a former employee of CVS who has anything good to say about the company.

Honestly, I stayed at CVS/Pharmacy just long enough to gain experience and certification/license. I would not recommend any sane individual apply for a job as a pharmacy technician with CVS/Pharmacy. I know first hand the CVS/Pharmacy technician experience is bad, real bad. Praise God I don't work for CVS/Pharmacy anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

RiteAidPharmTech09 in Alpine, California

57 months ago

Mina lee in Orangevale, California said: Hi,
I am going to attend school for Pharmacy tech. I hear that it is difficult to find a job unless you have at least 1 yr experience. Is it true? Please let me know about the real world. I've lived in Sacramento. Thanks,

many of the schools offer on site training wher eyou work in a pharmacy as part of your traing. Many times you can apply to the pharmacy that you do your internship in and may just get hired right out of school if you make a good impression!

57 months ago

Please, do not waste your time or $$ on a Pharmacy School. It is really just on the job training and just a little above cashier. Sorry but it is true. Yes, it will help if you have a little knowledge about Drugs and their usage but that's about it. Also, you will not get paid much at all to even justify any kind of school loan. The only way you could make any money at all is to work overtime as some have stated in here already but you can do this in any job. Please rethink about what kind of school you want to attend. Good luck with your future. As I stated before, it is an all right part time job but to try to support yourself on it/ none at all.

57 months ago

former CVSer said: idiot in granger... Who is the lead tech at edison now? is the witch still the pic? is Tammy still there?
Thanks.. glad I am gone

Tammy is still there and full of it as always. Mike V.H. got "punished" and was moved to CVS Portage Avenue. In the "hood." :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

techinoc in Los Angeles, California

57 months ago

Pharm in Granger, Indiana said: Please, do not waste your time or $$ on a Pharmacy School. It is really just on the job training and just a little above cashier. Sorry but it is true. Yes, it will help if you have a little knowledge about Drugs and their usage but that's about it. Also, you will not get paid much at all to even justify any kind of school loan. The only way you could make any money at all is to work overtime as some have stated in here already but you can do this in any job. Please rethink about what kind of school you want to attend. Good luck with your future. As I stated before, it is an all right part time job but to try to support yourself on it/ none at all.

Yes, I agree, if you really want to work in a pharmacy, try the ROP route, adult ed route if available in your area. the one here in oc cost I think $5 per class, I would not invest a school loan in this type of work, pharmacy school maybe, but not as a tech, if you do, you will regret it later. Why should you pay off loans for a job that doesnt pay enough and is extremely stressful?

windizblowing in Grand Island, New York

57 months ago

actually im only part time and i found a way to get health insurance. :) my boss said i probably woudn't get it. at this point though its probably the only reason why i don't quit. pay sucks and the drive it too long. idk what i was thinking when i accepted this job.

oh and don't bash pharmacists so much. some of them bust their @$$. they buy me food and one is on top of cashing out the patients most of the time. is it just my pharmacy or is it the rule that pharmacists are supposed to cash people out? im not complaining. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

57 months ago

Stop Pharm Tech ABUSE in Decatur, Georgia said: if your lucky 10hr but most start out out 7 or 8 because they hire teens.

How can they hire teens if you have to be certified? I am considering training as I'm a dental hygienist and laid-off for 11 months. Y'all are scaring me!

brown_dude_CPhT in Roslindale, Massachusetts

57 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: How can they hire teens if you have to be certified? I am considering training as I'm a dental hygienist and laid-off for 11 months. Y'all are scaring me!

From what I have observed most of the people I have seen who work in the retail pharmacies are mostly woman in their mid 20s – 30s. Definitely, not teenagers it’s rare to find a teenager working as a pharmacy technician. Racially the environment is mostly Caucasian (consisting of European immigrants (such as Russians and other Eastern-Europeans, Irish, etc.) and Asian (mostly Vietnamese).

I didn’t see too many African-Americans or Hispanics, but there are a few that come and go. I have worked with a lot of Caucasian older woman, age around 50s-60s working in a lot of CVS/Pharmacies as well. However, the job pays teenager/young adult entry-level wages $9.00 - $10.00 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Rochester, New York

57 months ago

KMG365 in Southbridge, Massachusetts said: CVS does suck. They are what are holding back techs from ever becoming anything other then pill counters. Hospital is where it is at for pharmacy technician. However its next to impossible even with experience to get a job in a hospital. Since all hospitals are different and its about who you know. With the exception of IVs, I do not see where any well rounded certified retail tech would have a problem.

I work at a hospital pharmacy in a setting that does not require IVs. It is a hospital for the most part dealing with psych issues. Even that doesn't give me any push when it comes to pharmacy tech jobs in "real hospitals".

I was very close on getting a pharmacy tech job full-time at a local general hospital. Then they hired back someone who worked their 5 years ago.

This is why after about a year of chasing hospital jobs, I decided to go to nursing school. Every job is going to have burn out. Even if your a doctor your going to get burn out, and you can't just not be a doctor anymore. Same thing with Pharmacists.

Find what you like and stick with it. If you want any future for yourself in pharmacy become a pharmacist. Or sleep with someone or pay someone off or know the CEO of a hospital or a Director of Pharmacy, those are the only ways you will get a secure full-time job in a hospital pharmacy.

How is CVS holding you back from being nothing more than a pill counter. It sounds like that is all that you are qualified for. The pharmacists make more money because they had to go to college for 8 years and have massive student loans to pay back. If you want to qualify for higher paying jobs, you have to make that change. You have to make the decision to go to college, pay for it, and do all of the work. You are a pill counter because that is all that your high school education affords you. Don't blame you lack of desire to make anything more of yourself on the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

thank you!

57 months ago

however... i do have a problem with one. is there a way to complain to the cvs corporation about pharmacists who don't do their job? im just the help, not the babysitter.

it also makes me very uncomfortable listening to such unprofessionalism as well, such as personal phone calls to their pharmacy buddies when there is clearly much to do.

this one as well as others are my boss ~atleast for that day right? so... if they say jump, i jump. and if they want coffee and theres 3 pages of scripts in the queue and truck... im gonna go get coffee. its the pharmacist's job to make sure what needs to be done is done by the end of the day. this one got scolded by my lead tech and totally disreguarded it today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

WB in Port Saint Joe, Florida

57 months ago

Nycole in Port Huron, Michigan said: Not to be nosey. But can anyone tell me what the starting wages at Walgreens, Rite Aid, and CVS? Just trying to compare.

I worked for walgreens for 3 yeats and in 2 different states..They too SUCK. we dont get our 15 min breaks in the morning and noon. I have worked at a 24 hour store and have had to work until 12am then be back the next day at 7am..Not much time between shifts. They do make sure you "eat" bbut not actually clock out, sit down, and enjoy the puny 30 minute lunch that you barely have time to inhale. The pay sucks. Starts out 8.50 to 9.00 an hour. The pharmacists dont help they sit on their butts or in the back in a corner on their cell phones..Ijust quit my job at walgreens and thought about going to CVS..But don tknow about that now!

Noshi in La Mesa, California

57 months ago

Wow. Those pharmacies sound like a total crock!

If I worked at a place that ever pulled the 'no breaks' thing I would tell them to put it on paper, record the conversation, whatever it took to make money by suing their idiot asses.

Mail order hiring people to count pills? That is totally STUPID. I would not imagine techs being hired at such a place. If I owned mail order I would run it cost effective by using Parata machines and pharmacists only to double count controlled substances counted by the machine. You wouldn't hire a tech to do the remaining thing of mail order. Just hire a typist clerk. There... all bases covered. I swear these companies are idiots...

Working as a tech in a hospital is holy grail, pay wise. It's also demanding to get in. You need full knowledge as a tech and know how to work in a HUB. You also better know how to present yourself very well and actually be a good person. Chains suck because you don't usually get appreciated so your pay is reflected on it. Unless the district managers hear of you in good light forget about notable raises.

Big Murff in Vallejo, California

57 months ago

Thank all of you for the advice! I'm glad I never went there yet!

Doe02 in Greenville, South Carolina

56 months ago

Sick of CVS in Columbia, South Carolina said: Ive been at CVS for 1 1/2 they have dropped me down to part time bc the pharmacy lead tech hasnt sched me for at least 30hrs a week for the past 14 wks. WTF how is that my fault? A 2 percent raise isnt even worth the headache I get everyday when I walk in the door!!!! Our head RPH is great, but the store mgr and lead tech sux!!!!!!!!! Im a mom of 3 with all kids on my insurance!!!!! this place sux.........

-the pay sucks
-understaffed
-no breaks
-no lunches

Rite Aid is not much better.

techinoc in Cypress, California

56 months ago

Im just trying to hang on until I finish my college program next year then Im leaving, Please everyone go to school , get out, if you stay longer than 10 years you will regret it and wonder why you didnt get out sooner.

cvssucksithard in Ridley Park, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

I've been working for CVS as a tech for 3 years, and my yearly raises average around 13 cents. Is that even legal??? I started when I was 17 years old, I am now 21, a pre-pharm college student, and have just been raised to $8.04/hr. I know for a fact that other techs at other CVS stores make 10-12/hour and have less time than I do. I am part-time and work on average 25-30 hours a week, NO breaks, busy ALL THE TIME, and not to mention I am one of the best techs there. I'm being told 2 different stories when I inquire about the purely ridiculous raises that we get: (1) the company only allows max 2% raises & (2) it has to do with the store manager. I'm going with #2.

56 months ago

Nicole in Rochester, New York said: How is CVS holding you back from being nothing more than a pill counter. It sounds like that is all that you are qualified for. The pharmacists make more money because they had to go to college for 8 years and have massive student loans to pay back. If you want to qualify for higher paying jobs, you have to make that change. You have to make the decision to go to college, pay for it, and do all of the work. You are a pill counter because that is all that your high school education affords you. Don't blame you lack of desire to make anything more of yourself on the company.

The company DOES hold techs back. They cut hours, don't give raises, don't give breaks, then expect everything to get done while baskets pile up, phones ring off the hook, drive-thru is constant, insurance rejections need attended to, and pick-up needs to be taken care of. Maybe if they paid their employees a decent wage and didn't under-staff, things would get done more efficiently. And we all know that without the techs, the pharmacists would be screwed. Techs do WAY more than just count pills, counting pills is probably about 10% of the job. I am a pre-pharmacy student who plans on becoming a pharmacist, but certainly not for retail because being a tech, I know first-hand how their employees are treated.

Maeris

56 months ago

Being a pharmacy tech is deffinately not just counting pills. And EXCUSE ME but I don't just have a high school diploma and became a tech. I actually have a DEGREE on it because in Puerto Rico you are required by law to have one. It's an associate's degree so I did go to college to become one.
Even with the knowledge I gathered in college it still doesn't feel like it's enough. I want to know EVERYTHING about each medicine or at least most of it. So when a patient comes to me with a question or when I get a prescription I'll know every time what it is and not have to ask.
I do aspire to one day become a pharmacist. I would and will hate the responsability but once I become one, and with the experiences I've gathered as a technician I hope to be a better boss and treat other technicians with more respect and gratefulness.
Because, even my pharmacist say it, without technicians a pharmacy would be nothing. Technicians are the ones that have to work with he patients first hand. And when it comes down to it, what do pharmacists do? They just re-read (interpretate) the prescription you entered, the computer tells tem if they are any interactions and they just override them unless they are severe and when you finish filling the prescription just verify that it's correct. And even sometimes pharmacists get that wrong T.T

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kalia

56 months ago

My goodness----I just read through these last whole 3 pages and the pay that I saw is not that great for a Pharm Tech! I am just a customer service rep for a very large company thats been around for 100+ years and get paid $14 w/ just 3 months of being employed there.

I was going to do pharmacy tech since I have some what little knowledge of pharmacy tech. I worked for a mail-order pharmacy before this current job and got paid $13.50/hr at the call center taking orders and other tasks such as answer misc questions.

X-walgreens employee in Port Saint Joe, Florida

56 months ago

They dont pay the techs what they are worth. Coming up soon it will be recommended that you become certified, and I know 2 good techs that arent cert. but they are great techs. Job security should not be based on certification, the test is hard and most of what is on it is just hospital pharm not much retail at all. These places are loosin good employees because they cant look at job performance! I finally quit walgreens after 3 years and not al stores treat their employees like crap. only certan districts do things their own way. The pay is not worth the hard work we do. I can get a desk job that is easy, not stressful, and pays better. You would think that they would also let the employees rotate holidays too. We had to all work christmas day a 3 hour shift! EVERYBODY! When there were a few employees that volunteered towork the whole day they still made the single moms with small children and no daycare open come in and work. That is so not fair.. The store I worked at had very poor managment. They let the SR tech overrule over the rest of the techs. she made the schedule where is was to her advantage. she worked hersself with the people she know she could run over..cause she didnt want to work herself. The is an open door policy to report stuff like that but it didnt do no good. SO if you think about working at walgreens in lynn haven i would think twice!!

56 months ago

Nicole in Rochester, New York said: How is CVS holding you back from being nothing more than a pill counter. It sounds like that is all that you are qualified for. The pharmacists make more money because they had to go to college for 8 years and have massive student loans to pay back. If you want to qualify for higher paying jobs, you have to make that change. You have to make the decision to go to college, pay for it, and do all of the work. You are a pill counter because that is all that your high school education affords you. Don't blame you lack of desire to make anything more of yourself on the company.

NOT RIGHT!!! You have alot more to do than just count pills. It makes me so mad when someone says all you do is count pills how is this stressful. we deal with insurance, machines, compounding, and much more. It is not all that i am qualified for because now you have to be certified!! Its a board exam! I myself did go to school to get the pharm tech degree so I couldbe more advanced and paid more which is why one goes to school..To be able to advance!! I have that student loan to pay back now, too and they are still not paying me crap and drag their feet on promoting to SR tech which is only one dollar more an hour. So I had to learn the hard way that school was a waste of time and money. SO now my next step is to goback to school and start over... GO TO COLLEGE,AGAIN, DO THE WORK, AGAIN, AND PAY MORE MONEY TO GET A BETTER JOB.. So before you go around assuming some didnt work hard and only have a high school education get the facts. Some of us cant afford a University education..If I would have known going to college and getting the degree in pharm tech would nothave done me a bit of good i would not have wasted the 3 years that I did!!!Luckily the only reason I am able to go back to school and get a better education is because the military is helping me pay. I am just upset that i have wasted about 6 years for having to start over.

dbyrd in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida

56 months ago

NOT RIGHT!!! You have alot more to do than just count pills. It makes me so mad when someone says all you do is count pills how is this stressful. we deal with insurance, machines, compounding, and much more. It is not all that i am qualified for because now you have to be certified!! Its a board exam! I myself did go to school to get the pharm tech degree so I couldbe more advanced and paid more which is why one goes to school..To be able to advance!! I have that student loan to pay back now, too and they are still not paying me crap and drag their feet on promoting to SR tech which is only one dollar more an hour. So I had to learn the hard way that school was a waste of time and money. SO now my next step is to goback to school and start over... GO TO COLLEGE,AGAIN, DO THE WORK, AGAIN, AND PAY MORE MONEY TO GET A BETTER JOB.. So before you go around assuming some didnt work hard and only have a high school education get the facts. Some of us cant afford a University education..If I would have known going to college and getting the degree in pharm tech would nothave done me a bit of good i would not have wasted the 3 years that I did!!!Luckily the only reason I am able to go back to school and get a better education is because the military is helping me pay. I am just upset that i have wasted about 6 years for having to start over.

Why not look into working as a civilian in a military pharmacy? There are bases in your area that are hiring.

56 months ago

The base im on is not at this time, but I do have an application in there too.

What? in South Bend, Indiana

56 months ago

I am so sorry you "wasted" you $$ on. Still look at it like this, school is never a waste. I work part time for CVS as a Tech. They want me to get certified. It is not going to happen. I will get maybe a 25 cent raise and just the mileage, time and gas would take me over 1 year to get back:)
I have druggies who have more authority than I do. It is pathetic. Management is a joke. No wonder we are being looked at as idiots by customers. Management and the pay shows us we are!

TIME TO START A PHARMACY TECH STRIKE in Houston, Texas

56 months ago

HopeCVSgoesbankrupt69 in Missouri City, Texas said: I WORK IN A CVS PHARMACY IN KATY TOO. I HATE THE PAY. THEY PAY US LOUSY PAY. I MEAN WORK AT MCDONALDS YOU GET PAID THE SAME AND MORE BENEFITS. AT LEAST THERE YOU GET A CHEESEBURGER AT THE END OF THE DAY! AT CVS YOU DONT MAKE ANY MONEY YOU WORK SO HARD AND NO ONE RECOGNIZES IT. I MEAN I COULD CARE LESS IF ANYONE LIKES ME BUT PAY ME WHAT I DESERVE.

WHO WANTS TO START A PHARMACY TECH STRIKE? LETS STRIKE FOR GOOD PAY AND BENEFITS AT LEAST $17-25 dollars an hour! WE SHOULD ALL BAND TOGETHER AND STRIKE AT CVS PHARMACY & WALGREENS STRORES! IM TIRED OF THIS BULLCRAP. WE DO A SERVICE TO SOCIETY BY FILLING THIER PRESCRIPTIONS AND CARING FOR THESE PATIENTS! SAME AS NURSES & DOCTORS & EVERYONE ELSE IN THE MEDICAL FIELD BUT OUR PAY SUCKS COMPARED TO EVERYONE ELSE. CVS, WALGREENS, WALMART ALL YOU OTHER CORPORATE PHARMACIES ITS TIME TO MAKE A STAND FOR DECENT PAY FOR PHARMACY TECHS! IF YOU GUYS WANT TO STRIKE LETS MAKE A DATE TIME AND PLACE! F*** these corporate pharmacies!

windizblowing in buffalo, New York

56 months ago

I work at CVS in western NY and we just resently got a new computer program. Rx Connect. any1 heard of it? Its nice but we've been back up on work especially on truck day and we can't seem to get it all done by the end of the night. o and the pay still sucks.

56 months ago

windizblowing in buffalo, New York said: I work at CVS in western NY and we just resently got a new computer program. Rx Connect. any1 heard of it? Its nice but we've been back up on work especially on truck day and we can't seem to get it all done by the end of the night. o and the pay still sucks.

i HATE rx connect.

BriBri0817 in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

55 months ago

I COMPLETELY agree with all of the comments that CVS sucks! I have been state certified for 2 years and Nationally certified for 1 and I don't even make $11/hr! I never had much of a problem with breaks however, unless it was an extremely busy day, and usually when that happened our Pharmacist would buy all the techs lunch and we would just eat when we could. I did recently move to SC however, during which time I was out of work for a few weeks ( 1 week for the move and the others because my "new" Pharmacy supervisor didn't know which store she was going to put me in). They finally decided on a store AN HOUR away from my new place, when they were at least 15-20 stores in a 15 mile radius!! It has been horrible....ALSO the CVS computer system just kicked me to PART TIME status because of HELL of a time getting anything worked out with my managers. I lost all of my benefits, vacation pay, EVERYTHING! But the best part is that they are STILL TAKING MY MONEY out of my checks, even though my insurance has been cancelled. This district that I am in now has the worst upper management. I need to find something better than this. Sorry and good luck to those who are in a similar situation with CVS. WE DESERVE BETTER!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BriBri0817 in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

55 months ago

Sorry I re-read my comment and realized I must have erased part of my comment by mistake! I meant to say that the system bumped me to PART TIME status because of my move and I've had a HELL of a time getting anything worked out... ;)

New Jersey CVSer in Middletown, New Jersey

55 months ago

I have been working as a certified CVS pharmacy tech for 4 years, and my wage is up to $8.51/hr, in the state with the highest cost of living, $8.51 barely buys food for the week. This company is garbage, plain and simple.

55 months ago

I've been working at CVS in western NY for a year and I still am at $7.97. Granted I was trained on the job and never took the test. But they couldn't even get to $8 like they promised once I was fully trained.

55 months ago

but again like I said I don't have a pharm tech degree or took the board exam so I guess that fair as compared to what others have.

goddess65 in Alexandria, Minnesota

55 months ago

to pharmacy tech strike,
good luck on that. i was on this site asking about starting national cpht union. i got nothing in this regard.

in regards to our wages. Its crap! plain and simple. i started in 1989 at 4.25 and ended in 2007 15.55 Self appraisal and review in july with a 4% raise and fired in august cause i threatened to file a grievance. lost my unemployment hearing as employers lie and judges are not for the employee.

i wouldn't recommend this field to anyone.

its been two years out of the business and i miss it. i miss my customers and doing for them not the boss. i miss the "feel good" by letting the customer know how to save $$, getting the child samples cause parents cant afford ect. compassion is what were supposed to show and still can if you have your heart and soul in it, but as you can see even this doesn't matter cause long and short of it is this: a technician is not of authority nor superior. that description is for the rph and the rph only in the long run.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

I work part time and make $9.14 an hour here in South Bend IN.
At this moment we are being ask to do more and more and we have to pick on which one we will get in trouble any given week because there is always something we can not do. The stress with the new system which breaks down every so often is not being addressed at all by upper Management. I am also not certified BY CHOICE!!! Why would you? We have to drive 2 hours away from our homes. By the time I consider gas and mileage on my car and maybe a raise of 10 cents an hour I have to work for 1 year the hours I am working to get even with what I paid out:) I work in a crappy, crappy area in SOuth Bend. Everybody is on Welfare and wants, wants, wants everything free and right away. To be compassionate left my Pharmacy a long time ago. Now about the stupid UPSELL!!! What a joke. If we do not scan the extra care card we are going to be written up. If we do not sell BATTERIES we are going to get written up. I have not done either and I am waiting for it. LOVE to rock the boat. I am so happy I am able to do so since this job is not anything we really need to function as a Family. What I do not like is that most Techs do not stick together. Well anyways, to all a Merry Christmas and slow down at work. Do not give upper Management everything you have. Hold back a little. They DO NOT VALUE us at all but they do know how difficult it is to train somebody knew.

goddess65 in Alexandria, Minnesota

55 months ago

Well seems your right on compassion, definitely not in your store the way it sounds. As far as "wrong side of town" and "welfare" guess we all need a place to live and welfare is a necessity for some. Don't get me wrong I believe welfare is not meant to be permanent and there are those who abuse it. I guess I like to think if these folks had some inspiration and a chance they wouldn't be in the system. They have learned to treat people as they have been treated. (looked down upon) it is sad. Personally, these folks are the people I liked to help the most. The "underdogs" less fortunate than you and I. I have noticed that a lot of techs on this site are complaining about wage and duties. With over 18 years of experience I can tell you that being a pharmacy tech is not for the money, nor is one fully trained in one or even two years for that matter. It is never ending learning and one must have an a open mind with all the 3rd party insurance, Medicare, Medicade, changing constantly, old and new drugs to learn and keep up on, inventory, perpetual log, adjudication of billing, accounts receivable and payable, phones ringing, etc, etc..... You know the drill.
Agreed on techs do not stick together and this is sad. In fact, she whom I took under my wing and taught as no other tech liked her assisted with my termination with false accusations as she was jealous of my knowledge and my looks. (Pathetic huh) Tho my so-called two-faced employer was pathetic for believing a 1yr employee over an 18yr employee. His A-- was on the line so he used what ever he could. Those that stab and twist the knife will suffer for doing so.

You are fortunate that you don't need the job and I'd suggest for your own sanity to hang it up or work somewhere else. There is no way I would of stayed as my first 6 months back in 1989 consisted of crying everyday after work. I hung in there, fell in love only to end up crying 18 years later feeling like I wasted half my life.

55 months ago

Oh, I understand what you are saying about people on Welfare. I also must tell you that it is truly a way of life for those people in the area I work at. I do go above and beyond when it comes to kids but if the parent must pay 10.99 for some cough syrup they go nuts. BUT the smell of dope and Alcohol is there. I am not a social worker, I leave that job to people who can deal with it. Not me:)
I am sorry you lost your job. By the way, I am not really complaining about my wages since it is pretty good for being part time. However, I am complaining about the extra workload being added on a constant bases without any raises. Like the saying :" You get what you paid for." I believe it goes for wages as well. My other job requires many of my "brain cells" but I am being paid for it. I do actually like the job in itself and most of my co workers. I just which there would not be so many back stabbers there. Not to me personally so thats fine:) I wish you a Merry Christmas!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.