Getting started after receiving Phlebotomy certificate

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 122)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

chamogirl in Dudley, Massachusetts

44 months ago

I went thru a training course in Massachusetts and once the internship was completed I was certified and now can take the National.
Finding work you just apply to everything and then let them say "No".
You have to apply on line to hospitals even though they may be connected to one another -each gets a resume plus the online application. the reasoning is that since they receive federal money the employment process can't stink of bias so the applications are used as a guideline - try posting on Craigslist but be cool about personnel info-now get out there and network-one way to get your foot into the door is to apply to monitor patients on a per diem basis at a hospital-thats how I got interested and how i am networking - looks good on resume also. In my case the Phlebotomy supervisor can't stand me so I am looking else where.
Good luck you can do this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

cassey in Lincolnton, North Carolina

44 months ago

tina in Charleston, South Carolina said: i'm suppose to take the ASPT certification this weekend..but it sounds like a waste of time and money. i've been looking for a job too but no luck.

exactly my situation after straight A's and passing the national exam, and doing 100 sticks + at hospital clinicals. It has been heartbreaking to learn no one will hire me. I've spent money for 5 years getting CEU's to stay certified. What a WASTE ! and how unfair they our school in hickory, nc told us if we passed the exam and did good in clinicals, {and I had a great letter of recommendation from the hospital}, yet STILL cannot get hired because any potential employer wants you to have already worked for 6 mos to a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

I work at a hospital and tonight i learned the supervisor hired another phlebotomist over me once again. Hate to whine but really? she had less experince than me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tina in Nashville, Tennessee

44 months ago

Try looking up Aspt on the internet. They are located in north and south carolina.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mr. C in Tracy, California

43 months ago

I have my CPT1 in CA. Going to these schools give you a false hope that you're gonna find you a job. I got hired off my internship by out working full timers. Find out if your intern site has an opening and work hard. Volunteer at a site that you want to work at. Work hard and you may get put on at that site. That's one way to get put on with no experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

I have tried volunteering but it's a no go so far - I'm pretty disappointed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sabrina the Medical Assistant in Southfield, Michigan

43 months ago

Jaime in Boca Raton, Florida said: Hi,
A little off the subject. I am about to start school for a 2 year degree from an acreditted school for sonography. But, in the meantime before I do that, I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was anything in the medical or any other area, that I could possible earn something qick (certificate etc) that will help me get a decent job in any particular area?

Any help would be appreciated. I currently do not have any experience in the medical field except for working in the admission dept of an ER.

Im just wondering if I could earn something quick in the meantime. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have. :) Jaime

Your ER admissions experience might be useful toward a medical office secreterial position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

andreacosta88 in Alhambra, California

43 months ago

I feel the same way! I got certified in October 2010, found a job right away. After my assignment was completed, I have not worked since then. I get upset and discouraged, but remain confident. I am only 22 and have already made it this far. I will not let myself fail. We just got to keep our heads up and know things will get better. Keep applying, even if its the same place over and over. People will see you are determined. I have not found a job yet but I remain optimistic. The place that hired me right away was actually an agency called Medix Staffing, Inc.

Scrapbooker in Adrian, Michigan

39 months ago

Cathy in Manchester, Maine said: I have,since my training,applied over and over, even to some of the same places. No response or "no thank you" at this time. Since then I have noticed numerous ads for these same jobs. That tells me,that those with the experience don't have a work ethic or aren't any good. Guess all that experience hasn't helped the employer has it?! I guess my AGE wasn't a factor...right??

I've done the same thing...but I've given up, it's been 2 yrs. for me...knowledge is gain...guess we all know more about how phlebotomy works...the sad thing is you can loose what you don't use...at least the educational systems are making money!

Scrapbooker in Adrian, Michigan

39 months ago

Sabrina the Medical Assistant in Southfield, Michigan said: Your ER admissions experience might be useful toward a medical office secreterial position.

Don't waste your time in Phlebotomy....finding a job is next to impossible!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

James Devitt in Boynton Beach, Florida

36 months ago

I have been a Certified phlebotomist for the past two years now and I still can't get a job. I applied for jobs at hospitals, clinics, quest, lab corp and others and I never get calls back. When I attended school I was an A student with a 4.0 GPA. I don't know if it's because I went to Medvance institute Or if it's my resume/Cover letter. I am currently unemployed and thinking about going back to school to become a Pathologist assistant and then later on becoming a Pathologist. I was wondering if since I am unemployed and still have student loans if I would get financial aid. If anyone has any advice for me feel free to email me @ jaymzdevitt@yahoo.com and just let me know that you are from the Phlebotomist job forum on Indeed.com. Thank you!

NEWCPT-1 in Buena Park, California

35 months ago

I live in Buena Park CA, and I have applied to mobile labs, hospitals, life insurance companies, and NOTHING! I'm a VERY hard working person and would be open to a part time to full time work. Is there anyone out there that knows of someone that can help me out. I would love to get started in my career as a Certified Phlebotomy Technician. Although I do live in Buena Park, I am open to commuting if there is something out there for me. Thanks everyone!

Endonesya in Fredericksburg, Virginia

34 months ago

A few schools have automatic job placement soon after you finish for example. Germanna has a contract set up with Mary Washington Hospital. So they only hire those ppl who attended their school. well I dont really believe that theres a contract. I do know, that most PBT managers are teachers. So they only kinda hire their own students. Which is very unfair, so honestly I would consult with a PBT manager. before you even spend your $ on school. also make sure u become certified with the right board of certification. example ASCP Best of luck to everyone same struggle here <3

Ms. Melba in Detroit, Michigan

34 months ago

I am coming up on my 2 year mark as a graduate from Everest Institute in Southfield, Michigan. I have yet to find a job as a medical assistant (course study) or phlebotomist. I want to go into an OTJ position so that I will gain the experience, as well as, keeping up with any changes and not get stale on the information that I paid for! Someone said next to or impossible...well that's the correct, I'm living proof. Does anyone know of a site that I could check that may help everyone on this page!?!

Tina in Daphne, Alabama

34 months ago

I trained in south carolina at American society of phlebotomy technicians. You can join as a member and take yearly ceu to keep up your training.

LaTonya in Atlanta, Georgia

33 months ago

I finish my training in April, I live in Atlanta and I have no luck if any one is hiring please don't hesitate to contact me at latonyakelley2@yahoo.com

James Devitt in Boynton Beach, Florida

33 months ago

I have completed a Medical assistant program at Medvance Institute two years ago. After I graduated I became a Certified Phlebotomist. I have been applying for Phlebotomy jobs since graduating from school with no luck at all. When I did my internship I wasn't allowed to draw blood, all I did was take vital signs, sometimes do EKG's, file patient chart's. Where can I apply without having experience? Should I get my Medical assistant certification as well? I need help finding a job. I have been unemployed on and off for the past two years now. If anyone has any suggestions or comments feel free to reply. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

billip2131 in Stockbridge, Georgia

32 months ago

Cathy in Gardiner, Maine said: I've completed my course in Phlebotomy and received a certificate. How are you supposed to get a job as a Phlebotomist, when no one is willing to hire you even as a trainee or to have an apprentice type position to start to see if you could do the job?

I haven't found one and I completed an externship. I am tired of rejections and the lab corp help ads because they want two years exxperience. They need to advertise on their own websited and stop clogging up the ones new graduates use: monster.com, indeed.com, to name a few.

Dr. Gillani in Alpharetta, Georgia

31 months ago

billip2131 in Stockbridge, Georgia said: I haven't found one and I completed an externship. I am tired of rejections and the lab corp help ads because they want two years exxperience. They need to advertise on their own websited and stop clogging up the ones new graduates use: monster.com, indeed.com, to name a few.

I am looking for a part time phlebotomist in Alpharetta, GA. If interested please email drgillani@naturalhealthatlanta.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mira in Brooklyn, New York

30 months ago

Hey i live in Baltimore and I took my Phlebotomy at sojourner Douglass for about 790 in 2010. I have been applying for jobs with no hope until now and its 2012. I just got hired as a collection tech 2 for American Red Cross and i have no experience..the great thing about them is that the don't require u to have experience they will put u a 12 week paid training course.I'm starting out with 12.66 not much but thats good for someone with no experience u guys should check them out

Immamom in Santa Barbara, California

30 months ago

Cathy in Gardiner, Maine said: I've completed my course in Phlebotomy and received a certificate. How are you supposed to get a job as a Phlebotomist, when no one is willing to hire you even as a trainee or to have an apprentice type position to start to see if you could do the job?

The phlebotomy schools in Central CA are a total scam. They are focused on getting the $$!, with NO Job assistance. I graduated Top in my class, with a very high AMT score. I can't get a job anywhere! I've applied probably about 45 different openings. It's like tossing my resume' into the abyss. Always a NOT AT THIS TIME response, only to see the same job opening posted again and again. The hospitals here won't accept volunteers, neither will the blood banks or labs. I've been told if you're not employed in the first 6 months, then you're considered "stale" and no one will hire you then either. I feel so ripped off. Check out the school sites before you pay your money....see how many students actually have jobs in 6 months after graduation. I'll bet the percentage is really low...my estimations put it at about 3% of the students from each class! Ask for the numbers before you pay!!! I wish someone had warned me..... :(

Laura in South Bend, Indiana

30 months ago

I understand your frustration...I just finished my Associates for Medical Assisting with a 4.0 GPA, excellent references from externship, and no one will give me a second look, not even for a home health aide or companion. I'm beginning to think that going back to college was a grand mistake as now I am $28,000 in debt with student loans and no job. ???

Ivy's Mother in Oakhurst, New Jersey

29 months ago

Lori, Metairie, LA in Metairie, Louisiana said: I am having the same problem, I have my certificate, but all the jobs are asking for experience. I am becoming frustrated with job placement. The hospitals are requiring prior hospital experience...where do i go from here?

I am Having the same problem.... this sucks !

Sandy in Sylva, North Carolina

29 months ago

I too went for the Phlebotomy course and did do an outside clinical. I have not taken the Nationals yet. I cannot find a job, not will any company give you a chance to get the training and experience you need to obtain a job in the field. What are the schools that teach this course thinking? I do not have extra money to waste taking courses that land no job in the end. Someone needs to put a stop to this type of education. What a waste of time!!

Karaya Williams in Franklin, Michigan

29 months ago

Did you go to a College and was this just a one time course class or you had to take other classes?

madis0n in Glendale, California

27 months ago

I received my Phlebotomy certificate back in 2008, completed a 2 week internship but never got a job after. I now want to get a job as a phlebotomist but need to renew my certificate. How do I do that exactly? Continuing education? How long and how much? Do I need to complete another internship? How long? And any other information you could give would be so helpful. Thank you!

madis0n in Glendale, California

27 months ago

I received my Phlebotomy certificate back in 2008, completed a 2 week internship but never got a job after. I now want to get a job as a phlebotomist but need to renew my certificate. How do I do that exactly? Continuing education? How long and how much? Do I need to complete another internship? How long? And any other information you could give would be so helpful. Thank you!

bewise in Los Angeles, California

27 months ago

I got my phlebotomist licesne back in 2011, the end of the year.
And work my way to volunteer for free clinics, and also hospital and also American Red Cross.

Although I have not got hired as a phlebotomist, I have a routine place where I continue my drawing on weekly basis and also sharpen my skills.
Also, through networking, I managed to get a job which requires a phlebotomy license for part-time.

At the meanwhile, I also took not-expensive courses on EKG and also medical billing and got those two certificates as well.

Yes, it is so hard to find a job for real as I have been applying and never heard anything back and not even an interview. However, I do think to continue to find ways for yourself is important and at the meantime to keep at least some extra cash coming in.

I have heard from ppl that once you get hired, the jobs will be nonstopping coming to you. Just need to stick with what your goals is and also make sure the finance is being taken care of at least for the basic needs.

It is not only this field but most of the fields around the country is like that.
Do not give up and keep on fighting.

Good luck!

Karen Densmore in Locust Grove, Georgia

26 months ago

I have been certifed in GA as a Patient Care Technician, and Phlebotomist Tech and CNA. Iam working in the field of PCT and CNA but I would like to use my Phlebotomy shills also. I have applied for may positions but with no experience my search goes nowhere. I have medical experiece since school and would love the chance to get an entry or even train for a Phlebotomy position. I would work for no pay just to get the experience. If there is somebody that would love a hard, dedicated medical employee I can be reached by email at kdensmore513@yahoo.com

James Devitt in Lake Worth, Florida

26 months ago

I have been a certified Phlebotomist for three years now with no luck getting a job. I just recently put an application in at the Community Blood Centers and I Got an interview, they put on the mobile blood drives. They told me they would rather hire people with less Phlebotomy experience because people with more experience have a hard time changing their own way. They have a two week training class with pay. Good luck to you.

Best Regards,
James Devitt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marilyn in san francisco, california

24 months ago

I recieved my CPT1 certifications in 2010 .I have been certified for a couple years. My last and only experiance in the field was my externship at General Hospital. I need to be refreshed on my skills and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on training classes that I could use to help me out.

Kiara Rawls in Winterville, North Carolina

24 months ago

I am a NHA certified phlebotomist and received my certification in February of 2012. I applied for jobs when I finished the program but I didnt look hard because I was also studying for another degree at the same time. There are always a lot of places hiring for this position and since I was out of school for summer I decided to really pursue looking for a job and I found one within a few weeks. I went to a plasma donation center and put in an application with a resume (including training and clinical hours and description, # of sticks completed and copies of both my national cert. and school cert.) i was called in for an interview and called back within two days with a job offering. I start on Wednesday and I'm really excited. Try somewhere like a plasma center or temp agencies. I wish you all best of luck!

CDJ in Barberton, Ohio

24 months ago

sueliz151@monmouth.com in Asbury Park, New Jersey said: From Suzanne:I have FINALLY gotten a job with LabCorp. I am very excited!!! Don't GIVE UP just keep on applying!!!

Are you certified now as a phlebotomist?? how long did it take to get the job ??

Michael in Blytheville, Arkansas

24 months ago

I worked as a Phlebotomist for 8 years, it can be difficult to get someone to give you a try. The best thing is to go to a school that has a good internship program, but volunteering might help so they can see your abilities before they spend money hiring you. Good Luck.

www.theworkingbee.com

Kazzy in Freeport, Maine

24 months ago

Hi Cathy,

Where did you get your phlebotomy training?

Wellington in Fort Lee, New Jersey

24 months ago

My name is Maxwell and I'm going nuts filling out all of these online applications with no results. I've been looking for an entry level Phlebotomy job for about 6 months now. I thought this field was supposed to be easy to get hired in and now I'm out about 1,200 dollars. I even have an uncle who works as a director of pediatrics in a major NYC hospital, and I still can't get an in despite that patronage. If you ask me its incredibly unfair for all of these labs and hospitals to be unwilling to hire someone with several months experience AND national certification. I'm about 7 or 8 months short of qualifying for these positions and they won't dare use any resources to train an employee who is new to the field. As I'm sure you've all asked yourselves: HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET EXPERIENCE WHEN EVERYONE WANTS PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE!?!? Not to mention the fact that no one will accept a volunteer Phlebotomist including the Red Cross. It is very frustrating and I just needed to vent after filling out my daily handful of these online applications. Maybe I'll try dating someone who works at the hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

C Rosebrock in San Antonio, Texas

24 months ago

cassey in Lincolnton, North Carolina said: i am in lincolnton nc and studied phlebotomy in 2002 made straight A's and did my clinicals successfully at the hospital , drawing on 100 patients and the lead phlebotomist signed off behind each draw.

i also passed the national exam. right after that as i was starting to apply for job, a car accident happened that caused me a year of physical rehab, and during the healing period, time lapsed. i kept my certification current by earning CEU's, but could not get hired due to being asked where have you worked.

thought you're in indiana, could you possibly know of anywhere in NC to get refresher training. I've called everywhere to no avail

I recently added phlebotomy training with my CNA, MA, for CEUs. The company was swphlebotomy.com and Linda Sanchez and her team did an excellent service. She travels from AZ so you may like looking at her site or leaving a contact message. I work with traveling/temporary nurse field in disaster relief. Other good places are Federal, State, and nonprofit clinics (shelters, schools), service providers (WIC) which you may have cross-over skills to meet employment hours.

zebra$40 in Fairhope, Alabama

24 months ago

Try american society of phlebotomy technicans,inc. they are located in north carolina.

Eileen in Beacon, New York

23 months ago

Wayno in Portsmouth, New Hampshire said: Cathy & others......I may have an avenue for you. Email me if interested. No, I'm not selling anything. Anyone know the location of the free Phlebotomy location in NYC?

I was wondering if anything has changed since this post? Also are you referring to the red cross in NYC?

I am thinking about taking their course late Sept. but am leary now of being able to find a job after, their training doesn't have too much practical.

Any help would appreciated.

Dee Dee in Chicago, Illinois

23 months ago

I'm in the same boat as many of you. My cousin recommended this field to me. She was able to secure a job pretty much right out of school by lying in her resume.. I didn't exactly want to take that route, but what are the other options?

gloriama in Pretoria, South Africa

22 months ago

HI MY NAME IS GLORIA I M GOING FOR INTERVIEW OF PHLEBOTOMY LEARNSHIP AT AMPATH AFTER READING YOUR E-MAILS I DONT WANT TO DO BECAUSE I WAS SO HAPPY I THOUGHT THAT WANT I WANT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rebecca gibson in charlotte, North Carolina

22 months ago

Hi to everyone who is trying to find a
Phlebotomist job, I went with a mobile
Paramedical insurance examiner job.
I was hired, and keep my skills up
It's not enough work to pay the rent, but
At least I am drawing blood, I am also a
CNA 11 I do EKG, vitals etc.
so you may want to try being a mobile
Phlebotomist? It's hard I know!!!
Hope this helps, oh I live in Wilmington NC

david in San Pedro, California

22 months ago

Two months ago I was hired by LabCorp as a full-time phlebotomist.

It is INCREDIBLY hard to find a job as a starting phlebotomist, especially in California. I had no idea what I was getting into when I applied to get my license six months ago. The school promised getting a license within three weeks, but it takes much more time than that when you consider your didactic, externship, state-exam, and the typical one month waiting period when your license is mailed to you by the state. What seemed like a quick fix to get a license within three weeks actually took me two months.

But that's the easy part. What is difficult is actually finding a job with your license. Without any paid experience, your license is literally a piece of paper compared to the dozens of other students these phlebotomy schools pump out every couple of months. The only way to actually get employed is to 1) know someone within the company who can get your foot in the door or 2) be extremely lucky. I ended up falling into the latter category.

After obtaining my license, I applied all over: hospitals, Quest, LabCorp, private labs. None of them every got back to me. I was stubborn after dropping $1200, however, so I continued to brush up on my skills by volunteering as a phlebotomist at Venice Family Clinic for six months. I didn't do it enough to where my drawing skill became better, but it was enough so I didn't forget it. In June 2012 LabCorp finally got back to me for a full-time PST position in the South Bay. I struggled the first couple of weeks with my draws, but it got better after the first month.

Anyway, what I want to say is that it can be done! I remember looking at these forums during that interval of time when I was unemployed, wondering when a company would call me in for an interview. Phlebotomy is a great profession, but it is very difficult to get that first job. Just have to be persistent and a little lucky : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

DeeDee in Haledon, New Jersey

21 months ago

Barbie in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Hi my name is Barbie. I live in Indianapolis. I am 45 years old and worked for Anthem 24 years and was laid off. Getting over the shock was overwelming enough. I wanted to try the other side of the field and took a course in phlebotomy and received my certificate. I have applied for multiple positions within hospitals and independent labs with absolutely NO LUCK. I have also not received any news, denials, etc. What can I do about this. I lost my parents and watched them frown when labs were drawn so I know I have alot of empathy towards patients. I can't find a job!!!! Any information anyone may have I would greatly appreciate it.

@ Barbie try to get a job in an OB/GYN office.You'll get alot of experience. There's pregnant women that need blood drawn throughout their pregnancy. Or apply to pediatrics. That's also a good plCE TO get experience also.

21 months ago

Kimcl in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Barbie.
I have a question when you took your course at med tech did they have you do an extern for a bit?
I took my class and am finished i am not havingany luckfinding a job. I talked to this lab and they said we should of done some kind of program like extern or clincals. I was not offered this at all.
thanks kim

@ kimcl labcorp usually have externs, and they usually hire the externs. Check it out

21 months ago

rebecca gibson in charlotte, North Carolina said: Hi to everyone who is trying to find a
Phlebotomist job, I went with a mobile
Paramedical insurance examiner job.
I was hired, and keep my skills up
It's not enough work to pay the rent, but
At least I am drawing blood, I am also a
CNA 11 I do EKG, vitals etc.
so you may want to try being a mobile
Phlebotomist? It's hard I know!!!
Hope this helps, oh I live in Wilmington NC

Do they reimburse you for mileage?

21 months ago

To everyone don't give up. It took me a while to get a job as a phlebotomist. I started off as a medical assistant working in OB/GYN, pediatric offices, then I got a job at a blood bank worked there for about 5 mnths, then applied to Labcorp,then Quest. still working as a phlebotomy. YOU GUYS CAN DO IT :)))))))

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rebecca gibson in charlotte, North Carolina

21 months ago

No you don't, you have to take mileage
Off of your taxes.

jennifer in Flushing, New York

21 months ago

I too am getting frustrated with applying for phlebotomy jobs, i dont have experience other then the school... ive completed the progrm and passed the national exam since August. Congrats to all those who have gotten employed, I guess all I can do is keep my head up, and type till my hands bleed! lol, if anyone know of any companies hiring in the new york area, even jersey as far as hackensack casue that all i know abou jersey..please swing it my way thanks :-)

Gabriela in Lake Villa, Illinois

21 months ago

Katie in Ferndale, Michigan said: I'm in Michigan, I finished my phlebotomy training over a year ago. I was able to work for about 7 months within Quest diagnostics as a temp, making right around $11, and working less than 30 hours a week on average. I could not live on that...assignments dried up in January as Quest downsized and put a lot of their permanenet employees on part time. I have not worked in over 2 months and am considering now going back to school, this time to a school that has job placement assistance, which my program did not.

It was not a horrible investment though. My course was 12 weeks and only cost $850 but I too am in that grey area where I have some experince, but not enough, certainly not enough to work in a hospital which is where the big money is. I looked into traveling insurance exams but one company paid only $16 per exam and no money for gas/millage.[/QUOT

Hi, could you tell me how long after the finishing the phlebotomy class, is timeline for certification exam. I gonna finish my class and clinicals on January 2013 and I need to know, how long I have to wait and prepare for the Certification Exam.

Thank you Gabi

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.