6) green
7) light green
8) lavender
9) gray
10) yellow/gray or orange

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

transmedical in Baltimore, Maryland

30 months ago

Kelly in Fontana, California said: Ok, so I have a job interview tomorrow and I need to know everything about venipuncture tubes. Does anyone know the order of draw, additives, and which test is performed for which tube? Or does anyone know a website that provides all of this information? Thank You very much in advance.

You can pull the information up online to help you retain the info about the order of draw.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Nelly in Suva, Fiji

23 months ago

ORDER OF DRAW
Blood collection tubes must be drawn in a specific order to avoid cross-contamination of additives between tubes. The recommended order of draw for plastic vacutainer tubes is:
1. First - blood culture bottle or tube (yellow or yellow-black top)
2. Second - coagulation tube (light blue top). If just a routine coagulation assay is the only test ordered, then a single light blue top tube may be drawn. If there is a concern regarding contamination by tissue fluids or thromboplastins, then one may draw a non-additive tube first, and then the light blue top tube.
3. Third - non-additive tube (red top)
4. Last draw - additive tubes in this order:
1. SST (red-gray or gold top). Contains a gel separator and clot activator.
2. Sodium heparin (dark green top)
3. PST (light green top). Contains lithium heparin anticoagulant and a gel separator.
4. EDTA (lavender top)
5. ACDA or ACDB (pale yellow top). Contains acid citrate dextrose.
6. Oxalate/fluoride (light gray top)
NOTE:Tubes with additives must be thoroughly mixed. Erroneous test results may be obtained when the blood is not thoroughly mixed with the additive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

yoyokhexp in North Hollywood, California

20 months ago

//i am currently an M.A.X. student in kaplan north hollywood, and as of the october 2012, the order of draw that i am learning goes as follows:

<p>.Sterile yellow-(8 inversions) additive: SPS [sodium polyanethol sulfonate]

.light blue-(inversions 3-4) additive: sodium citrate

.plain red-(inversions 0) additive: N/A

.gold/speckle top/tiger top-(inversions 5) additive: clot activators and gel for serum separation/ SST [serum separator tube]

.green-(inversions 8) additive: sodium heparin

.lavender-(inversions 8) additive: E.D.T.A.

.gray-(inversions 8) additive: potassium oxalate/sodium fluoride.</p>

\\if anyone can help (preferably sometime within the next 24 hours) me with the the tests done in each tube, that would be pretty rad of you......... hahaha i just realized, rad, radiation, xray student, BAzing, i kill me.

hope this helps anyone in the near future, and thanks for your time. -yoyokhexp-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara in San Ramon, California

6 months ago

I have a question: In my externship I preformed the tubes that were called out from the labs computer system. It was my job to do the draw and collect the blood in the correct order of draw. But I have an interview at a lab next week and I was wondering if I need to know the tests ordered by the doctor and match it up with the correct tube color. For instance if the doctor requests a LIPID Panel-Fasting, how do I know what color tube to use, and will I be asked to identify the correct color of tube for a particular test? If that is the case where on the web can I find a guide for tube color and corresponding tests?

Please Help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.