What are the best photo assistant qualifications and training to get ahead?

Comments (2)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a photo assistant? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective photo assistant?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

David in New York, New York

26 months ago

I attended the photo assistant boot camp at www.photoassistantbootcamp.com and it was outstanding. The instructor James has been in the photo industry for years and what I learned from him in 2 days was more that I learned during 4 years of photography school. The best part of this workshop is it's 'Hands on approach' to everything. within the first 30 minutes the entire class was working together setting up lights and learning about every part of the setups and the equipment as we went along. This seeing and doing in real time really made for a better learning experience. The depth of James photographic knowledge is just amazing and his ability to speak to the entire class in a clear concise manor is refreshing. He really made everyone feel as if they were getting his personal attention at all times. I thought the course fee was a little high but after those 2 days and the 18 different lighting setups we did I really felt that I got more than my moneys worth. As if all hands on training wasn't enough we also received an interactive DVD with of all of the lighting setups we covered during the workshop.
With those new skills I more than made back the cost of the workshop in the next 2 weeks of jobs I was hired for.
Well worth the investment in myself.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.