Are photo editor job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most photo editor opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Brooklyn, New York

79 months ago

Definitely declining. The industry is changing- magazines are closing and photo agencies are laying people off left and right. It is incredibly hard to break in as photo editors tend to stick around- the turn over rate is very low. I suspect that the only way to hear about new positions is to have close relationships with others in the same field. But all isn't lost- websites are hiring. You must stay right on top of changing technology trends or you will get left behind. I frequesntly look on the usual jobs pages and I find the listing are getting more demanding. They want more technical skills and more experience. i believe much of the industry is currently getting into the retirement age. This is great for younger editors but bad for people mid career as they will be forced to go back to school to learn new skills (not bad- just time consuming) and to take lower wages for jobs they do find since the competition will be high.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.