Getting a physical education teacher job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

How did you get your start doing physical education teacher work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Fresno, California

116 months ago

Start by coaching while you are in college. When you are finished you will have connections that will help you get the teaching job.
Get a B.S. in Kinesiology

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

daCat in Encinitas, California

106 months ago

Good luck man. There are no PE jobs in CA. If there are, your in east LA or the desert.

Reply - Report abuse

Helena in Fayetteville, Arkansas

106 months ago

Reply - Report abuse

joew in Duncan, South Carolina

102 months ago

Chris in Fresno, California said: Start by coaching while you are in college. When you are finished you will have connections that will help you get the teaching job.
Get a B.S. in Kinesiology

A a BS in Kinesiology will NOT help you. since you must have a valid teaching certificate and a BS in Physical Education. You have to Pass the National Praxis 1 witch has 3 different tests and then pass 3 National Praxis 2 tests. Each has a different content area. If you want or need to teach Health along with it, you'll prolly have to take an additional 18 hours in that and pass the Praxis 2 for it as well.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

wannateach in baton rouge, Louisiana

95 months ago

I want to teach 2nd grade I have a BA I have taken the praxis test twice missed it by 4 points 1st time and 12 2nd time.......any suggestions on how to pass

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Liberty in Woodruff, South Carolina

95 months ago

wannateach in baton rouge, Louisiana said: I want to teach 2nd grade I have a BA I have taken the praxis test twice missed it by 4 points 1st time and 12 2nd time.......any suggestions on how to pass

Maybe your problem isn't the test itself.Perhaps a refresher on study skills and test taking will help.Test taking is a skill I feel is very under taught. As a tutor, I find many who know but dont show it at test time. You obviously have a broad knowledge base or you would not have done as well as you did.The test is knowledge based and you are at a disadvantage not having classroom experience.Can you observe classes you are interested in teaching and see how they handle situations? Be sure to tell the teacher your purpose so the students won't "act proper for company" and you can observe the real experience.

Reply - Report abuse

chris in Little Rock, Arkansas

95 months ago

Liberty in Woodruff, South Carolina said: Maybe your problem isn't the test itself.Perhaps a refresher on study skills and test taking will help.Test taking is a skill I feel is very under taught. As a tutor, I find many who know but dont show it at test time. You obviously have a broad knowledge base or you would not have done as well as you did.The test is knowledge based and you are at a disadvantage not having classroom experience.Can you observe classes you are interested in teaching and see how they handle situations? Be sure to tell the teacher your purpose so the students won't "act proper for company" and you can observe the real experience.

Good info. Thanks. Good to see someone from South Carolina on the board. I am from Enoree, South Carolina. Thanks for the info!

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.