Top physical education teacher skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every physical education teacher must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your physical education teacher expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

William in Providence, Rhode Island

73 months ago

I know it is likely different in every state. Does anyone know if it is possible to be hired as a Physical Education teacher (in MA) or anywhere for that matter, without a Bachelors in Phys Ed? I have a BA in History, along with a Massachusetts certification in Phys Ed. I have subbed frequently over the last two years for Phys Ed classes. I noticed a lot of job postings for Phys Ed teachers are looking for people with bachelor degrees in Phys. Ed. It doesn't seem to make sense that in massachusetts you can get a full-time teaching job in practically any other subject without having to have a degree in that specific field, yet that may be different for a phys ed job. Can anyone shed any light on this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Ralph in Buffalo, New York

62 months ago

You can teach in NY with a certification in PE however here is the problem. Why would an administrator hire you if they could hire a person with a Certfication and a masters degree, which most applicants now have.
Jobs are far and few between and numerous applications come in for just 1 position.
I have several suggestions which will help:
1) Obtain your master's in physical education or special education. The dual certification will get you a job some where.
2) Subsitute teach in several districts, when you find a district with a teacher close to retirement age, concentrate and network in that district.
Good luck
It took me a few years to join a district after subbing. I knew no one in education and had no connections but thru alot of preserverance I got a job and later became an administrator for the district.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

TC in Irving, Texas

25 months ago

I HAVE A MASTERS N I CANT FIND A JOB... ITS NOT EASY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.