Do I need to be thin to do this job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Ambitious in Albany, Georgia

27 months ago

I am very interested in this career and am in the process of applying to DPT schools. But I am overweight and wondering would my weight make me unable to do the job? I'm not really big, I'm moderately active. But I dont want people questioning why I am a physical therapist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Brookline, Massachusetts

26 months ago

Ambitious in Albany, Georgia said: I am very interested in this career and am in the process of applying to DPT schools. But I am overweight and wondering would my weight make me unable to do the job? I'm not really big, I'm moderately active. But I dont want people questioning why I am a physical therapist.

I have been a PT for 17 years and love it. That should be your first consideration in becoming a PT(really liking it). Some areas of PT require more hands on and a somewhat more active lifestyle but most do not. Physically you would be able to perform the duties required. As far as social/professional acceptance with a particular look goes, a lot of MDs give advice which they don't follow or look like they follow but if you have the title and know what you are talking about people will listen, especially when you get them better, which ultimately is what they will respect(not your look). Good luck in your decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.