Foreign Trained Physical Therapy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

ZK in Houston, Texas

27 months ago

Hi

I'm a foreign educated physical therapist who graduated in 2003. Soon after I moved to U.S. and completed my PHD and Postdoctoral training in the field of Kinesiology and Human Movement Science. I will be taking my NPTE in October, but I am afraid of the job prospects. I spoke to couple of agencies but they told me it would be hard to find a job given that I don't have any experience in the U.S. and that I have mainly done research, even though my research has been in the area of evidence based rehabilitation in neurologic patients. I live in Houston, TX and I am hoping to find a job here. Any suggestions on making the job hunt easier? Does anyone know of any good recruiting agencies?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RachelPT in Maine

27 months ago

Hello ZK,

I read your post. There's so many list of Job seeking for physical therapist here in the states and it doesn't matter if you graduate from a foreign country and hasn't work as a PT here in US because I have a couple of foreign PT friends and applied and got accepted to hospitals/Rehab. You shouldn't be afraid. You have a very promising career especially you completed your PHD. Have you ever tried to apply for Limited Permit so you could practice before you take your NPTE(only offered for first time taker & good for 3 months)? Try to go to this website www.ecptote.state.tx.us/. You could call and ask them. I have called them numerous times whenever I need some information.
I'm also a Physical Therapist and will be taking my NPTE before the end of this year. Goodluck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ZK in Houston, Texas

27 months ago

RachelPT in Maine said: Hello ZK,

I read your post. There's so many list of Job seeking for physical therapist here in the states and it doesn't matter if you graduate from a foreign country and hasn't work as a PT here in US because I have a couple of foreign PT friends and applied and got accepted to hospitals/Rehab. You shouldn't be afraid. You have a very promising career especially you completed your PHD. Have you ever tried to apply for Limited Permit so you could practice before you take your NPTE(only offered for first time taker & good for 3 months)? Try to go to this website www.ecptote.state.tx.us/ . You could call and ask them. I have called them numerous times whenever I need some information.
I'm also a Physical Therapist and will be taking my NPTE before the end of this year. Goodluck!!!

Thank you for your response Rachel, I will look into getting my temporary license. I feel so much better now!

RachelPT in Maine

27 months ago

By the way, here's the other link for more information: www.ptsponsor.com/all_agencies.php

ZK in Houston, Texas

27 months ago

Thank You Rachel, you have been most helpful. I also wish you luck on your upcoming exam.

priyank1 in Manhasset, New York

24 months ago

HI is there anyone taking NPTE in october 2012

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.