Is 38 too late to become a physical therapist?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

40yo graduate in Edison, New Jersey

42 months ago

Not at all... in fact it can help in many ways b/c of increased life experience. It can also work to your benefite b/c patients often patients feel more comfortable with someone more mature. Best wishes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenny_PT in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

42 months ago

No. I know several ppl who have chosen this as a second or even third career choice. A few have chosen PTA due to the amount of schooling involved.

I will point out that outpatient PT or possibly pediatics is the least physically taxing area of PT. Most inpatient facilities can be physically taxing to you and your patients due to lifting, transfers, and helping someone ambulate after their specific injury. I don't see very many elder PT's in inpatient settings because of how physical it is.

But to answer your question, no 38 is not too old to enter this profession. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Lake Worth, Florida

28 months ago

I was looking for an answer to the same question. Thank you for asking and who answered it too.
It would be great if I can get some guidelines on how to become a PT or PTA. I will do my homework anyways, but any tip might be good for the road.

I'm in internet and technology field since 15 years which I think is enough for machines, time to consider humans in life.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hound Doggy in East Orange, New Jersey

24 months ago

Stones Fan in Wilmington, Delaware said: Hello,

I am looking into changing careers and was interested in becoming a physical therapist but by the time I graduate I will be around 38. Is this too old to start a career in this field?

No, it's not a matter of being too late. There are plenty of therapists who are in their mid 50's and even in their 60's. The real question is can you handle it? This field is terribly demanding- both physically and emotionally. Being a therapist is also a very, very, extremely high stress job. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sandie in Gainesville, Florida

24 months ago

Stones Fan in Wilmington, Delaware said: Hello,

I am looking into changing careers and was interested in becoming a physical therapist but by the time I graduate I will be around 38. Is this too old to start a career in this field?

I graduated 20 yrs ago from UF @ 38 yo W/ a degree in physical therapy! I wouldn't change a thing! e sooner you get started the sooner you will be practicing. Being an older student definitely had advantages. Don't get bogged down by the small stuff! The goal is to graduate with that degree. Then the REAL learning begins!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Neil_PT in Budd Lake, New Jersey

13 months ago

John in Lake Worth, Florida said: It would be great if I can get some guidelines on how to become a PT or PTA. I will do my homework anyways, but any tip might be good for the road.

I know you posted this a while ago and most likely have made your career decision by now, but in case someone else stumbles on this discussion I've found 2 good resources on becoming a PT and PTA:

PT Guidelines
www.exercise-science-guide.com/blog/3-steps-to-becoming-a-physical-therapist/

PTA Guidelines
www.exercise-science-guide.com/blog/what-are-the-physical-therapy-assistant-pta-requirements/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

castilsh in Jersey City, New Jersey

10 months ago

Hound Doggy in East Orange, New Jersey said: No, it's not a matter of being too late. There are plenty of therapists who are in their mid 50's and even in their 60's. The real question is can you handle it? This field is terribly demanding- both physically and emotionally. Being a therapist is also a very, very, extremely high stress job. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Hi, your post caught my attention. I am interested in PT. You are the third person as PT that says its extremely stressful. I work in financial service. What make PT stressful in your opinion? I keep reading it is a stressful job like most jobs but its the least stressful occuptional. Thank you for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Carlsbad, California

8 months ago

Sandie in Gainesville, Florida said: I graduated 20 yrs ago from UF @ 38 yo W/ a degree in physical therapy! I wouldn't change a thing! e sooner you get started the sooner you will be practicing. Being an older student definitely had advantages. Don't get bogged down by the small stuff! The goal is to graduate with that degree. Then the REAL learning begins!

Hi Sandie,

I was 36 years old when I graduated PT school and I have loved every minute of working as a PT. I agree with getting started quickly as there may be a few programs allowing you to obtain a two year Master's degree versus the three year doctorate. This window is set to close in 2017, as that is the target year for all PT programs to become three year doctorate. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

David in New York, New York

5 months ago

I am a 34 year with a BA in accounting, and I am thinking about going back to school to become a PT. Does any know how much schooling I am going to need and how long it will take me to finish a PT program..I might take Part time classes at first.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.