UK trained PT resident of CT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (50)

Jodie Finney in Hartford, Connecticut

72 months ago

Hi,

I am a UK trained PT and permanent resident of CT.

I had my education r/v by FCCPT and they said I have to do classes in integumentary and pharmacology to be eligible for the NPTE.

Three years later I have still not found any college in the whole country that allows a student to take just 2 classes of a PT degree (they have to be part of a PT degree), and I also know that other PTs have been licensed in CT without integumentary.

What's going on?!

Can anyone help me with NPTE eligibility? I don't need any help with visas as I have a greencard already - that was a piece of cake compared to the FCCPT process!

Thank you,

Jodie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Milina in Honolulu, Hawaii

72 months ago

JOdie,

Have you tried to apply for NYS or HI?
you might be eligible for these states.

Divya in Chicago, Illinois

72 months ago

Jodie Finney in Hartford, Connecticut said: Hi,

I had my education r/v by FCCPT and they said I have to do classes in integumentary and pharmacology to be eligible for the NPTE.

Three years later I have still not found any college in the whole country that allows a student to take just 2 classes of a PT degree (they have to be part of a PT degree), and I also know that other PTs have been licensed in CT without integumentary.

What's going on?!

Can anyone help me with NPTE eligibility? I don't need any help with visas as I have a greencard already - that was a piece of cake compared to the FCCPT process!

Thank you,

Jodie

Hi,

You should go thru the website www.rehabessentials.com.They offer
'pharmacology in rehab'in a cd based format so that u dont need to join any college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

twins in Saint Paul, Minnesota

71 months ago

What's going on?!

Thank you,

Jodie

Hi Jodie:

I understand your frustration.I am a PT from Germany and have been licensed in Illinois, Ohio , Wisconsin and now, finally after a 4 year battle in Minnesota. Immigration was a piece of cake compared to the licensing procedure in MN. I can't give you any specific suggestion in regards to the eligiblity to take the exam but I would contact your state representative since you are dealing with a state agency in from of the licensing board and explain your situation. It has helped me in two if the states to do so.It doesn't matter if you are a citizen ( I am not) or a resident, you are still a constituent and they are ususally very willing to help.

Sibylle

Jodie in West Hartford, Connecticut

71 months ago

twins in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Hi Jodie:

I understand your frustration.I am a PT from Germany and have been licensed in Illinois, Ohio , Wisconsin and now, finally after a 4 year battle in Minnesota. Immigration was a piece of cake compared to the licensing procedure in MN. I can't give you any specific suggestion in regards to the eligiblity to take the exam but I would contact your state representative since you are dealing with a state agency in from of the licensing board and explain your situation. It has helped me in two if the states to do so.It doesn't matter if you are a citizen ( I am not) or a resident, you are still a constituent and they are ususally very willing to help.

Sibylle

Hi Sybylle,

Thank you so much for your reply - I really appreciate it. I lived in germany for a year (Hamburg) and loved it so much I almost stayed to study PT at Hamburg University. When I applied for my education review through the FCCPT, it said if you had a degree from Germany that you should speak to them before you apply as the German degree is not equivalent to the US degree - how rude and presumptious! Getting a degree in the US is a lot easier than Europe - I'm doing another one now out here in CT.

Congratulations on getting licensed in 4 states and getting your state rep involved - I absolutely applaud you. It's time the education agencies out here realized the US education system is not in any way superior to that of the rest of the world. (Ok I've said my piece!)

Thanks again for your advice,
Jodie

Divya in Chicago, Illinois

71 months ago

Hi Jodie,

I think you should apply for the FCCPT PLAN PROGRAM.The Fccpt representative will then suggest you how and where to fulfil your educational deficiencies.I applied for the same and it turned out to be very helpful.

All the best and dont lose your patience!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

twins in Saint Paul, Minnesota

71 months ago

Hi Jodie:

You are so right. Our system is superior to the one here. I was a clinical coordinator, supervising students during their clinical affiliations form 3 different PT schools in the Chicago area and I can attest to the fact that their education is not the same as the one I received.

Also, when I had to have my credentials evaluated, the FCCPT did not exist then, I received the equivalent of 164 credit hours (58 in general education credits ,116 in Professional, almost double of what was required here at the time) which shows, that my education from Germany was more than sufficient compared to the US requirements.

When I applied in MN the Licensing Committee notified me that they would recommend to the Board to deny my license, I had the option to go before an administrative judge, which is a right, it does not cost anything and I did. It went like a regular court hearing, my husband and I represented us, the board was represented by the assistant attorney general and the judge ruled in my favor in all three points of contention. The Licensing committee then reversed their decision and recommended to the board to issue my license, the attorney general recommended to the board to issue my license and the judge ruled that there was no reason not to issue my license, and the board still denied my license.

We then went to our legislators, the second time, and by the grace of God, a special bill was passed that allowed me to get my license. (We tried to pass a bill that would allow all PT's to receive reciprocity, the board fought that language in the bill.

There is a shortage of PT’s in this country.I regulary receive recruitment letters and phone calls.The FCCPT does not serve the profession and the patients who they say they are trying to protect by limiting trained and able PT's access to practicing their profession. I thinks it's scandalous! Sibylle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jodie in West Hartford, Connecticut

71 months ago

I really feel the FCCPT are laughing greedily all the way to the bank as they take foreign graduates’ money. I would be interested to know what the World Confederation would say about your experience. I contacted them about my situation and they tried to help. But ultimately it doesn’t seem right that they allow so many foreign graduates with equivalent degrees (in the least) to end-up out-of-pocket with nothing to show for it but frustration and upset, when physiotherapy is supposedly a world-wide career that will take you anywhere. I strongly believe you are right Sibylle, when you say the FCCPT is doing nothing for their profession in the US, and I absolutely applaud you for fighting back!

ali82 in United Kingdom

69 months ago

Hi,
I'm a UK trained physio, with over 5 years experience working over here. I'm looking into moving to the States as my boyfriend is based in SC. It all looks so overwhelming I'm not entirely sure where to start and was hoping you could give me some advice?! Is there any way of getting a visa to do the segments I will need to make up over in the states? Is it true that they won't recognise my GCSEs? How expensive are the courses I will need to take to make up these points?! And is there any way of sitting the NPTE without already having a job offer from someone willing to sponsor me for a H1b visa? Any advice welcomed! Thanks!!

Jodie in Branford, Connecticut

69 months ago

Hi Ali,

There are 2 parts to working in the US as a PT:

1 - Getting your license
2 - Immigration.

Which you tackle first depends on your specific situation. If your boyfriend is a citizen and you are considering marriage, I would strongly suggest you look at immigration first - I can help you with that as I have the tee-shirt!

If this is not the case you need to tackle the license first. This will start by an education review, followed by permission (or denial) to sit the license exam for SC. Don't even think about the license exam at this point, it is prbably a long way off if you are sucessful with the education review.

The education review is usually done by the FCCPT (fccpt.org). They then inform the FSBPT if you are eligible for the exam who then allow you to register for the exam (NPTE). This site might give you an insight (it's specific to SC):

www.llr.state.sc.us/Pol/PhysicalTherapy/index.asp?file=exam.htm

Go to the fccpt page and download the type 1 application. The first thing you'll have to do is get your results (GCSEs and A Levels from the actual exam boards, not your school)along with a full course transcript (handbook of your degree and results) sent directly to the fccpt. This took me a long time and cost money because you have to pay each exam board for each transcript.

It takes time and money which ever way you do it, but it's essential to do it right first time. It can be overwhelming, but I'm sure if I had help in the first place it would have been a lot quicker, easier and cheaper!

To answer some of your questions: The cost of the courses for making up credit if you need it depends on where you do them - I'll explain the education system here later if you need to know more. They will recognise your GCSEs, but your A Levels are more important. You can't sit the NPTE until you are found eligible by the FCCPT.

Email me jodie.finney@comcast.net - let me know your situation :-)

mandy in Spokane, Washington

67 months ago

Sibylle

Hi Sibylle! I just have a quick question for you. I'm a PT, originally from NC and now am in WA, that is possibly going to Germany next year. My husband is military and I was just wondering if you have any information on contacting the licensing board in Germany. I've tried google and I can't find anything. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm going to be able to work over there if that's where get stationed. I think if I can find a job on base then I'm ok but those jobs are really hard to come by. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. please respond to sqrt26@hotmail.com
Thanks!
Mandy Wiggins

Sibylle Gridey in Saint Paul, Minnesota

67 months ago

Hi Mandy:

The issue of working in Germany is not so much your license but more so that as a foreigner, you can not work in Germany.
Licensing in Germany is handled very differently than in the US. Once you graduate from PT school, you do a one year PT internship at a recognized teaching hospital and receive at least 100 lectures and lessons during that time. At the end of the year the requirements have to be signed of and sent to the state that you went to school in to receive your license which does not have to be renewed and is good anywhere in Germany as well as in most European countries. The idea to be licensed in every state new is an unknown concept in Germany.

The next thing is, that it is not so easy anymore to find a job as a physical therapist, we have more PT’s than jobs and then, of course the language. You would have to speak fluent German in order to work there. Your best bet probably would be to be able to work at an American hospital there.

I hope this helps some. Please e-mail me with any other questions.

Sibylle Gridley PT

Peachie Cuanang in Wembley, United Kingdom

66 months ago

Hi Sybille,

I was wondering if you could give us some advise. My husband is Filipino-trained senior physiotherapist here in UK and he's a citizen as well. FCCPT did not find his education to be of US standard so he went for a re-evaluation and got the same answer. The irony of this story was a batchmate of his passed the FCCPT evaluation when in fact they have submitted the same documents. We did a comparison and he was lacking in evidence with many subjects listed in their requirements and was given a lower credit hours with some subjects compared to his batchmate's evaluation. Moreover, they have made a list of "courses not used" which are a list of subjects they surprisingly have given credits on his batchmate's credential review.

He is planning to appeal their decision but we've read the appeal process and it's asking for more money. Am a physiotherapist too and had my credentials evaluated by ICD back in 1999 which I did pass. My husband and I were graduates from the same school and same batch.

As we are based in UK at the moment and planning to move to US, he decided to take steps on how he can work in US. He is under an agency which chose FCCPT for his credential evaluation. Am inactive with my PT profession and did not pursue taking an exam.

As we disagree to cough out more money to solve this problem, do you know any other organization that can help us? I have a got feeling they will ignore his letter despite citing a precedent (batchmate passing her FCCPT evaluation) and will definitely ask for more money as mentioned in their appeal procedure.

We have been shouldering the cost for his application and we hope he'd be given a justified review as FCCPT claimed "consistency of review with all foreign-trained applicants.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Warm regards,

Peachie

Peachie Cuanang in Wembley, United Kingdom

66 months ago

Hi again Sibylle,

Sorry if I misspelt your name on my first message. Excuse my spelling error as I realized I typed got instead of gut before the last sentence.

Thanks in advance for taking time to read my message and hope you can give us guidance on this matter. You mentioned "World Confederation" in one of your messages and am not sure if they can help and how we should lodge a complaint. At the moment we are waiting for my husband's batchmate reply to see if she will agree to have her FCCPT records used as a reference in our appeal letter.

Thanks again,

Peachie

juan naki in Manama, Bahrain

66 months ago

omg! i was planning to apply for an fccpt myself!but reading all these?i dont think i want to waste my hard earn money for this comission!

American Therapy Jobs in Old Bridge, New Jersey

66 months ago

Peachie Cuanang in Wembley, United Kingdom said: Hi again Sibylle,

Sorry if I misspelt your name on my first message. Excuse my spelling error as I realized I typed got instead of gut before the last sentence.

Thanks in advance for taking time to read my message and hope you can give us guidance on this matter. You mentioned "World Confederation" in one of your messages and am not sure if they can help and how we should lodge a complaint. At the moment we are waiting for my husband's batchmate reply to see if she will agree to have her FCCPT records used as a reference in our appeal letter.

Thanks again,

Peachie

Hi Mam Peachie! I think I know you... I was one of your students in DLSU HSC wayback. Regards to Sir Albert! :)

Steph M in Dallas, Texas

63 months ago

I am having similar problems with the FCCPT. I am a UK trained PT with 3 years experience over there. My review came back saying I was lacking in certain areas of general education. I am trying to get registered in Texas. I emailed the woman directly and argued that they had not given me points for areas that I had covered.....i.e. English Composition?! Having studied English for 8 years at school and achieving my Scottish Higher, I find it very hard to understand this! I provided more evidence from the exam board in the UK (free of charge, as I told her it was ridiculous and I was not paying more!) and this morning they have come back and advised that they will increase my physics level but nothing else. I am not annoyed, angry and upset right now! At present I am going to have to return to college to study chemistry, physiology, psychology, maths-statistics and english composition. Despite them being happy with my university degree!? How can they be ok with my PT training but not happy with things that are a lower level!? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Steph

Lady in Amman, Jordan

63 months ago

Sibylle

can you please tell me if there is a PHD programs in Germany for physiotherapy or close to the field as biomechanics,musculoskeletal medicine,manual therapy

CHD in Sarasota, Florida

62 months ago

Sibylle

Hi Sybille,

I came across your answer on indeed.com. I am from Germany also and a PT in Germany and I have tried to get the eligibility for the Exam here in the States once in KY and once in Fl. Both times it came back telling me that I was not eligible because of the difference in school systems and I would have to go to university all over again.
What did you do? Any advice?

Thank you for all your help

Christina

fares sergio abdouni marcellan in London, United Kingdom

62 months ago

anyone knows how well does the spanish physios do to do the new york credentialing?

Lenny in Brooklyn, New York

59 months ago

Hello everybody. Please help. I am trying to get Colorado license. They require aerosol applications in wound care. I have searched and searched and searched and I just cannot find a school that teaches that. If anyone knows of the courses in aerosol applications, please let me know.

Thanks

lenny

Dr Glenn in Bridgeport, Connecticut

58 months ago

I am looking to hire a part time PT in Bridgeport CT. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
gchasanoff@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

physio in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

57 months ago

Hi Jodie!
Talk to Mr.Bini Litwin at Nova Southeastern University, you would be able to take up to 2 courses in their Program as a non-matriculated student. (blitwin@nova.edu)
You can also try Florida Gulf Coast University.
Good luck!

Bharanidharan in Madras, India

56 months ago

Hi,
I am looking physical therapy job in UK. But i don't know the procedures to get job there. Please give the needful information.
Thanking you.
With regards,
Bharanidharan.D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cilantro in Springfield, New Jersey

54 months ago

What's going on?!

Thank you,

Jodie

Are you still looking to relocate? Have you looked into the reuqirements for NJ licensure?

GKoller in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

Jodie in Branford, Connecticut said: Hi Ali,

There are 2 parts to working in the US as a PT:

1 - Getting your license
2 - Immigration.

Which you tackle first depends on your specific situation. If your boyfriend is a citizen and you are considering marriage, I would strongly suggest you look at immigration first - I can help you with that as I have the tee-shirt!

Thanks for the info it is very helpful could you tell me some info about the 2nd step, Inmigration.

Thanks

Sunny in Winter Springs, Florida

41 months ago

I am a PT from berlin in Germany and gave up on getting licensed in US. I went back to college and got 30 more creadit in general educationas. FCCPT said german education is not equalvalent to US not even for PTA. I went PT school not PTA school so I am not elegible for PTA exam. I think, I tried everything but not succes just lost lots of money.I would like to go back to germany if I can find a job.

It is so nice to read Sibylle's succes story!
if anyone want share your story please E mail me
bong375@aol.com

Sibylle gridley in Saint Paul, Minnesota

41 months ago

That is really a sad story and the information you have received so wrong. Our training in Germany is superior to the one here, especially when it comes to general education. I received 52 general education credits for my 13th high school year and 116 credits for professional education for two years of physical therapy school plus one year of PT internship. I have worked with PT students here in the US as their clinical supervisor and was able to compare their education to ours: they learn a lot of head knowledge, not enough practical skills. But may it as be, who told you that your education was not equivalent to the American one?
I know that things have changed much since I came here and educational requirements are different (Masters degree is now required compared to a bachelors years ago and there is the push for a DPT) but nevertheless some of the states PT boards are very obstructive when it comes to foreign therapist, all the while there is a shortage in this country.
The job market in Germany is not the greatest for therapists. Physicians are hesitant to prescribe therapy as the insurance companies are clamping down on claims and allowances for therapy.
I wish you good luck and let me know id there is anything I could help you with

Sunny in Winter Springs, Florida

41 months ago

Hi Sibylle
I came to armerica 20 years ago I tried 2-3 times in 10 years.
Currently, I am working with disabled plople as a coordinator with less money also can not say I am a PT. I went 1992 Berlin worked at the out pt clinic and two other part time jobs as a PT. I have worked three jobs and was very happy because I was able to work as a PT and can say I am a PT. I applied New york and connecticut license, after they had board meeting I got a letter saying I need to complete 32 post-secondary education they recommened going back to PT school finish 2.5 semester. I had such great PT education and many years of all kind experience, going back to school wasn't my option at that time. Now I am too old to pursue a PT license in the state. I have daughter who is a DPT and runs clinic.

I really appreciate your quick repond and willingness to help.

Thank you again
Sunny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hanna in Virginia Beach, Virginia

41 months ago

I also came to America 20 years ago, from Poland, NY State approved all my education from Poland and I just had to pass the board exam, but that was 20 years ago. Working in US I know that the need for PT’s and PTA’s is great. I know that companies that I worked for get PT’s and PTA’s from all over the world. I would suggest contacting future employers directly; it will help with emigration and with licensing. For example major hospitals, Sentara healthcare, or State healthcare agencies.

Hanna in Virginia Beach, Virginia

41 months ago

Hi Jodie:
My Name is Hanna, I came to America 20 years ago, from Poland, NY State approved all my education from Poland and I just had to pass the board exam, but that was 20 years ago. Working in US for all this years, I know now that the need for PT’s and PTA’s is great here. I know that companies that I worked for get PT’s and PTA’s from all over the world. I would suggest contacting future employers directly; it will help with emigration and with licensing. For example major hospitals, Sentara Healthcare, or State Healthcare Agencies.

On the other hand I am trying to get closer to home, Poland, and currently I am looking for jobs in UK, I just started formal paperwork to be licensed in UK.
What is your opinion of work ethics and overall PT field in UK, any hints?

Hi there in Taipei, Taiwan

34 months ago

Sybile

"I received 52 general education credits for my 13th high school year and 116 credits for professional education for two years of physical therapy school plus one year of PT internship. I have worked with PT students here in the US as their clinical supervisor and was able to compare their education to ours: they learn a lot of head knowledge, not enough practical skills. But may it as be, who told you that your education was not equivalent to the American one?
I know that things have changed much since I came here and educational requirements are different (Masters degree is now required compared to a bachelors years ago and there is the push for a DPT) but nevertheless some of the states PT boards are very obstructive when it comes to foreign therapist, all the while there is a shortage in this country.
The job market in Germany is not the greatest for therapists. Physicians are hesitant to prescribe therapy as the insurance companies are clamping down on claims and allowances for therapy.
I wish you good luck and let me know id there is anything I could help you with

I'd like to get the scoop on all of this. I am an American citizn, currently living in Asia. There is ONE DPT program, here, and I also finished my undergraduate in America in 1996.

When I went to the website fsbpt.org, I saw all the CWT forms for foreign-trained PTs.I have a feeling life might be easier by simply taking the courses in the United States, instead of Asia.
Of course, I am interested in evidenced-based DPT research, and do not know the current trends in PT, as I am not a licensed practitioner nor have I lived in the United States for over 6 years.Please answer the above comments. I also have questions about physicians prescribing therapy in USA

Sola in Cleveland, Ohio

34 months ago

ali82 in United Kingdom said: Hi,
I'm a UK trained physio, with over 5 years experience working over here. I'm looking into moving to the States as my boyfriend is based in SC. It all looks so overwhelming I'm not entirely sure where to start and was hoping you could give me some advice?! Is there any way of getting a visa to do the segments I will need to make up over in the states? Is it true that they won't recognise my GCSEs? How expensive are the courses I will need to take to make up these points?! And is there any way of sitting the NPTE without already having a job offer from someone willing to sponsor me for a H1b visa? Any advice welcomed! Thanks!!

Hi,
As a UK PT, I was living and working in UK when I sat for THE NPTE Exam. The first step will be to send your documents to FCCPT for evaluation nad if they approve you for the exam, then you can sit the exam. If they raise any concern about any deficiency, you can still talk to them about what courses you could do to make up for the short comings. When that is cleared, you could then plan to sit for the exam. You will have to travel to the States to do the exam though. You do not need an employer to sit for the exam but you will need an employer to file for your visa. I relocated to USA just over a year ago and I am loving it.

All the best

ali82 in Concord, New Hampshire

34 months ago

Hi Sola,
It's good to hear that the process went well for you!
I'm actually living in New Hampshire now, with my now husband, and as I now have a visa which would allow me to work, am hoping that the transition might be slightly easier!! I am actuallly just preparing to send my documents to the FCCPT - is it worthwhile me sending my stuff for Alevels and GCSEs even though they say they won't recognise anything over 5years old? Did you have any problems with deficiency? Any help is much appreciated, I am dreading this whole evaluation thing having heard so many nightmare stories about it!! I wish my 8years experience counted for something!!
Thanks.

Sola in Cleveland, Ohio

34 months ago

I will advise that you submit your A/levels along with the PT training program. The reason is that USA education is 4 year program while UK is 3 year program as A/level was part of it. The outcome will determine what would happen next. I did experience FCCPT issue on the review that it was deficient but the board waived the issue and allowed me to sit for the exam. My email is solademi@att.net, if I could be of any further help.

PREETHA in Morristown, New Jersey

33 months ago

Hi,

Try A.T.Still university/Arizona.There non degree DPT program allows foreign trained therapist to ful fill FCCPT`s deficiencies.They work well with foreign trained therapist.Tamara Roheling is the PT co-ordinator.Good luck.Preetha.

What's going on?!

Thank you,

Jodie

sokinde in Dolton, Illinois

31 months ago

Hi sola, so did you graduate from the UK or Nigeria?

Carol in Silver Spring, Maryland

27 months ago

Hi, good day,

My boyfriend is a UK trained PT and we are planning for him to move here to me in Silver Spring MD in the US. What does he have to do to get a license to work as a PT in the state of MD? Thank you

Sola in Cleveland, Ohio

27 months ago

J-Rapha Therapy (www.jraphatherapy.com) are currently recruiting from UK and you might want to ask him to review the website and fill in the form under therapist to start the process.

Sibylle gridley in Saint Paul, Minnesota

27 months ago

The requirements vary from state to state and also depend on the education he has had in the UK. COntact the board of physical therpay in MD to learn their requirements for foreign trained PT's.

Nathan in Severna Park, Maryland

27 months ago

What are his requirements it might be as well applying to the dc board as i have and then transfering once license is issued and npte is passed

anna in Chicago, Illinois

17 months ago

Milina in Honolulu, Hawaii said: JOdie,

Have you tried to apply for NYS or HI?
you might be eligible for these states.

I need help to me they gave 1yr deficit in pt for New york board where can i take that class.I enqire everywhere in usa ,nearly 2yrs. I need help plz

17 months ago

Sola in Cleveland, Ohio said: I will advise that you submit your A/levels along with the PT training program. The reason is that USA education is 4 year program while UK is 3 year program as A/level was part of it. The outcome will determine what would happen next. I did experience FCCPT issue on the review that it was deficient but the board waived the issue and allowed me to sit for the exam. My email is solademi@att.net, if I could be of any further help.

HI ,I need help too how come which board i need help too

17 months ago

Jodie in West Hartford, Connecticut said: Hi Sybylle,

Thank you so much for your reply - I really appreciate it. I lived in germany for a year (Hamburg) and loved it so much I almost stayed to study PT at Hamburg University. When I applied for my education review through the FCCPT, it said if you had a degree from Germany that you should speak to them before you apply as the German degree is not equivalent to the US degree - how rude and presumptious! Getting a degree in the US is a lot easier than Europe - I'm doing another one now out here in CT.

Congratulations on getting licensed in 4 states and getting your state rep involved - I absolutely applaud you. It's time the education agencies out here realized the US education system is not in any way superior to that of the rest of the world. (Ok I've said my piece!)

Thanks again for your advice,
Jodie

Why not all we all unite and fight for our right ,why credentials is neccessary

17 months ago

Sibylle

HI I need help too

Lorna in Preston, United Kingdom

14 months ago

Hi,

I appreciate it's been a while since the main discussion but I stumbled upon this forum and found it to be very useful.

My american spouse and I currently live and work in the UK but our long term goal has always been to move to California. Recently we have become eligible to apply for a green card so we are looking to be in the best position career wise when we move over. I am currently a fitness instructor at a university and have a BSc in Sport and Exercise Physiology. I am in the process of applying to several schools to study an MSc in Physiotherapy (Physical Therapy, which is funded by the national health service in various locations in the UK. After doing a bit of research and finding this thread I told my partner how hard it appears to be to get licensed so she suggested that I wait and go to school to study Physical Therapy in America. Obviously this will be very costly and I would have to get a loan but means my qualifications would be recognized.

Does anyone have any thoughts of what would be best to do?

Thanks,

Lorna

ali82 in United Kingdom

14 months ago

Hi Lorna,
As a UK trained physiotherapist with 10years experience working in the UK, I have currently been unable to practice for the 3years I have been living in the US (with a greencard)because they make it so impossible to get licensed over here.
A friend of mine is head of rehabilitation for his NHS trust, had a job offer over here, and still wasn't allowed to sit his exams in the US without resitting a load of high school and undergraduate courses.
However, whilst I was doing research into various avenues, I noticed that the MSc physiotherapy course in Aberdeen is the only UK course recognized by the FCCPT. This was the case a few years ago, I assume that if you check the list of accredited institutions, you can see if any other UK universities have made the grade since then. Anyway, my advice would be to put up with two years of University in Aberdeen, then apply to sit your NPTE just after your final exams.
You could go to PT school over here, but you would need to do a lot of research before moving to avoid as much debt as possible. Different schools have different fees, and some charge less for instate residents, (if you choose to live here for a few years before starting PT school). But fees can be up to $80,000 per year, for 4 years. Which is a crazy amount of money.
My husband and I are currently stuck in the situation that we would really like to move back to the UK, because I miss my job a lot, but we would never be able to pay back his $250,000 medical school debts working on NHS wages.
Good luck with your situation whatever you decide to do!!
Ali

ANA in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

HI,
i NEED help i lack 1 yr in pt for new york and under graduate and masters on other state ,plz email me or your number

Lorna in Preston, United Kingdom

14 months ago

Hi Ali,

Firstly I'm sorry to hear about your situation, I still can't believe it's that strict and hope something gets changed soon!

Secondly thank you so much for being so helpful, I really appreciate it. I looked into Aberdeen Uni last night and you are correct, it is the only course in the UK that will allow me to sit my NPTE after final exams. I will be calling them today to discuss the course so have my fingers crossed for getting a place. After pretty much accepting that there was no point studying any physiotherapy degree you have given me a glimmer of hope.

Thanks again,

Lorna

ana in Chicago, Illinois

11 months ago

You are so right. Our system is superior to the one here. I was a clinical coordinator , supervising students during their clinical affiliations form 3 different PT schools in the Chicago area and I can attest to the fact that their education is not the same as the one I received.

Also, when I had to have my credentials evaluated, the FCCPT did not exist then, I received the equivalent of 164 credit hours (58 in general education credits ,116 in Professional, almost double of what was required here at the time) which shows, that my education from Germany was more than sufficient compared to the US requirements.
HI i
When I applied in MN the Licensing Committee notified me that they would recommend to the Board to deny my license, I had the option to go before an administrative judge, which is a right, it does not cost anything and I did. It went like a regular court hearing, my husband and I represented us, the board was represented by the assistant attorney general and the judge ruled in my favor in all three points of contention. The Licensing committee then reversed their decision and recommended to the board to issue my license, the attorney general recommended to the board to issue my license and the judge ruled that there was no reason not to issue my license, and the board still denied my license.

We then went to our legislators, the second time, and by the grace of God, a special bill was passed that allowed me to get my license. (We tried to pass a bill that would allow all PT's to receive reciprocity, the board fought that language in the bill.

There is a shortage of PT’s in this country.I regulary receive recruitment letters and phone calls.The FCCPT does not serve the profession and the patients who they say they are trying to protect by limiting trained and able PT's access to practicing their profession. I thinks it's scandalous! Sibylle

HI i need help my credential eval

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.