Working in another country

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Amy in Collierville, Tennessee

32 months ago

My husband's job might move him to Canada, Europe or Costa Rica. I was wondering if it is possible for a US citizen to work as a physical therapist/certified hand therapist in one of those countries and how to go about searching for a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dontwanttobea99er in Somerville, Massachusetts

32 months ago

I'm also interested in this. I know a girl from Australia who says that there are so few workers over there that companies are practically begging people to apply. But I've also heard that it's VERY hard to get a permanent work visa in most countries. If there's a website out there that herds people who are interested in working in other countries in the right direction, I'd like to know about it too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cat in Danville, California

31 months ago

I just came from a PT program in Australia. Each country has it's own requirements. I know for Canada, you would need to get your coursework approved by a credentialing service and then sit the exam there. I'm pretty sure you would need to do the same for AUS. Also, you would need to get a work visa or at least a temporary resident visa, both requiring the fulfillment of points on a checklist. I'm originally from California and barely made the requirements, even though I completed my entire degree and lived there for 3 years. There are also sponsorship opportunities in Aus that can help with the visa/residency requirements too. I know they're hard-pressed for healthcare workers in the rural/remote areas (ie. the outback). Check the government websites. As for Europe, it depends on where you go. I know most countries where English is not their first language (France, Italy, Spain are the ones I looked at) required you to be proficient in their language, as well as a passing score on their exam. You pretty much need to check out the government sites for each country. Countries in the EU may have some agreement that allows you to travel and work between them. Not sure. And some places may only require that you're licensed somewhere in the world. I know, for example, there's an Australian-run clinic in the ski fields of Japan that accepts Australian licensing and does not have a language requirement. It's just a matter of time-consuming research.

Hope I helped a little bit

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.