I 3 years into my BS in Kinesiology and planning to go in PTA school after graduation. Can I transfer some of my classes over??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Dally in Oakland, California

41 months ago

I should, hopefully be done with my BS in Kinesiology in 2 years. I'm planning to go to a PTA program and persue a career as a PTA afterward. From the forums I know a lot of people have walk a similar path so I'm just here to soak up as much information as possible from everyone willing to help.

1)I don't know exactly what classes are required for PTA program, but I assume a good chunk of it is similar to what I'm taking in my BS degree(anatomy, biology, physics, biomechanics, etc) So is it possible to transfer those courses over so I won't have to re-take them?

2)how big a role is physics in PTA program and in reality? I'm horrible at it...do you guys actually apply formulas, etc over to work? or is basic concepts the only thing I need to understand?

3) anyone knows if my BS would help increase my salary? or does it not matter

4)any advice on what I should do now to help increase my chance of getting a job? I heard of job shadowing for experience, and working as a PT aide as well. anything else? and when should i start.

5) down the road if I wanted to go to PT school. would my experience as a PTA in addition to my 4 year degree in KIN help me get in PT school? or will the grade for ever haunt me haha

6) last question: tattoos. I have 2 big tats on my ankles(hermes wings) and planning on another medium size piece on my shoulders. is this discourage in the field? is it required to be hidden?

sorry for so much questions guys. thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Arizona Graduate in Tucson, Arizona

41 months ago

At my school you had to take all their courses, but I'm not sure if other schools let you transfer. One of the courses was physics, mostly basic concepts that could be applied to PT. From what I understand, there is only one school in the country that lets you apply your PTA courses towards your PT degree. In my opinion, if you get your B.S. it would make more sense to apply directly to PT school.

PTAgirl in Concord, California

41 months ago

I tend to agree with Arizona Graduate. If you are planning Oholone college they are specific to what needs to be taken at their school. I recently graduated from Sac City and they took most transfer credits from previous classes taken. Again, best to figure that out on a case by case basis.

PTA school did not have a lot of physics but understanding the basic concepts is helpful.

To my knowledge, it doesn't matter if you have a BS degree or not. They were interested in my active CA license (passing the exam). It could help you down the road if you wanted to go in to some kind of management position or continue your education in some direction later on.

Working as a aide is the best experience you can do for yourself. I wish I had been able to do that but am now learning more on the job. it's not mandatory but helpful to get going in this direction. volunteering is good too. you can start now to whatever fits in to your life. will give you a good idea if this is what you really want to do.

It sounds like you're not happy with your grades thus far. it is difficult stuff and PTA school is also challenging. I had several class mates with KIN degrees, some with other degrees. They found it challenging too. One went on now to get her DPT. being a PTA will be helpful but not sure if it will help with DPT school. couldn't hurt. lots of reasons not to go that way, but give it thought as it's not much more time and will give you many more options in the working world at a PT. If I were younger going back to school I would have chosen DPT, but I'm happy to be a PTA. love my new job.

Tattoos......I would get them in places that can be covered. some of my class mates had a lot of tats, he got a job in a SNF. I wouldn't worry about what you have but wouldn't add to the visible areas. personal decision.

Good luck and do your research.

Dally in Oakland, California

41 months ago

[QUOTE who="PTAgirl in Concord, California"
Tattoos......I would get them in places that can be covered. some of my class mates had a lot of tats, he got a job in a SNF. I wouldn't worry about what you have but wouldn't add to the visible areas. personal decision.

Good luck and do your research.

thanks for the information! So happy physics does not play as big a role as I thought. I'm also planning on going to school in SAC or somewhere around the bay area.

As for the tattoos, when working what are PTA usually required to wear? is shorts a must in any situation? Because i have two big tats on my ankles.

I also heard there are times when you must take your shirt off for exercises in water? is this true? how often is this? thanks.

last question, what do PTA tend to do when they reach an age where they can no longer work? I know going back to school to be a PT is an option but is there anything else? so far I've only heard of becoming a pt, management position, and teaching classes. It just seems so limited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RAFFMAN in Red Deer, Alberta

41 months ago

If your working in aquatics therapy then I am sure you will be required to wear shorts, I have seen people wearing scrubs or casual clothes.

I think in my own opinion, as long you present yourself professional even with the presence of tats/inks, it is acceptable. There are guys nowadays who still wear shirts while in pool.

Do you mean when you retire? can you still work as a PTA? I think so as long as you can work without any limitations.

Once you become a PT, you can do more. You can be a staff therapist be a research consultant or even a clinical instructor.

Raffman, BSPT, PT, BSN, RN

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.