BA. Pol Sci to Physical Therapy Assistant or Physical Therapy -- Advice needed

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Joseph in Houston, Texas

20 months ago

I'd appreciate help on this issue. I earned a BA in Pol Sci last year, got accepted to grad school for Spring 13. My fiancee and I are at the most critical time of our blessed lives and we agreed that one of us has to venture into Physical Therapy to secure our future financially and for our business plans in Out-patient rehabilitation...etc.

We've worked as a PT Aides for a while so we understand the field. From my observation, PTA's are always occupied with work, and that's good for its equals more money IMO.

Here's my dilemma; My fiancee just got a breakthrough in Oil & Gas, and she's also starting grad skl by January so I decided to be the one to pursue PT which I love and she decided to sponsor my tuition too. If you're in my shoes, would you

1. Go for the PTA program with a bachelors degree? This is faster and would cost less money then transition to DPT later because i already have a BA?
2. Go for a DPT? More expensive and time consuming, but more reputable?

Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Summer in Martinsburg, West Virginia

20 months ago

Joseph in Houston, Texas said: I'd appreciate help on this issue. I earned a BA in Pol Sci last year, got accepted to grad school for Spring 13. My fiancee and I are at the most critical time of our blessed lives and we agreed that one of us has to venture into Physical Therapy to secure our future financially and for our business plans in Out-patient rehabilitation...etc.

We've worked as a PT Aides for a while so we understand the field. From my observation, PTA's are always occupied with work, and that's good for its equals more money IMO.

Here's my dilemma; My fiancee just got a breakthrough in Oil & Gas, and she's also starting grad skl by January so I decided to be the one to pursue PT which I love and she decided to sponsor my tuition too. If you're in my shoes, would you

1. Go for the PTA program with a bachelors degree? This is faster and would cost less money then transition to DPT later because i already have a BA?
2. Go for a DPT? More expensive and time consuming, but more reputable?

Thanks in advance.

I have my BA from Penn State in psychology and went for a PTA degree. I have lots of job offers and I make a good salary. Unfortunately most PTA programs don't transition into a DPT. So if you are planning on transitioning anyway, you may want to go for DPT from the start. Good luck with your decision!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RAFFMAN in Red Deer, Alberta

20 months ago

Transistioning from a PTA to a DPT is not going to happen.

The advantages of pursuing a DPT after you get your PTA is you can work and make some money part time while your pursuing DPT.

Raffman, BSN, RN, BSPT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.