Can a PT Aide challenge the PTA boards?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Scott in Sunnyvale, California

57 months ago

I have been an aide for about 5 years in N.Cailifornia. Can I challenge the PTA boards? Where can I find some information about this, any help reaaly appreciated. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stephen in Falmouth, Maine

56 months ago

The only way a tech can challenge the boards is if you were working as an aide/ tech prior to the creation of the PTA license exam/ education requirement...1970? That is true in every state in the union. The only other exception is if you are a foreign-schooled PT taking courses in the US to be eligible to take PT boards, you can petition to take the PTA exam to work in the interim.
Go to school like the rest of us...there is a reason techs are required by law to have direct supervision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Eric in San Diego, California

55 months ago

Stephen in Falmouth, Maine said: The only way a tech can challenge the boards is if you were working as an aide/ tech prior to the creation of the PTA license exam/ education requirement...1970? That is true in every state in the union. The only other exception is if you are a foreign-schooled PT taking courses in the US to be eligible to take PT boards, you can petition to take the PTA exam to work in the interim.
Go to school like the rest of us...there is a reason techs are required by law to have direct supervision.

you can challenge the boards if you are an athletic trainer, military trained, or if you have put in a specific number of hours as an aide along with some college classes. i have challenged the board and have been working!! i will see if i can find a link with the info!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eric in San Diego, California

55 months ago

www.ptbc.ca.gov/laws_regs/equiv_te_require.shtml

here is the link for California!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chris Sawyer in Apple Valley, California

47 months ago

Eric. Thanks for this link it was very helpful to me as well. My only question is how can someone gain the necessary 18 months experience in an acute setting at this time? Havent current regs made it difficult, if not impossible, for aides to find work in rehab settings now that many levels of care are unable to utilize them? I have 32 months of patient care experience as a rehab aide in a long-term care facility, a BS in Health Science, and I am currently an assistant orthotist who works with patients 1-on-1. Recommendations for how I can fulfill the remaining requirements anyone?!? Thanks ahead of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

... in Fresno, California

41 months ago

Eric in San Diego, California said: you can challenge the boards if you are an athletic trainer, military trained, or if you have put in a specific number of hours as an aide along with some college classes. i have challenged the board and have been working!! i will see if i can find a link with the info!!

Where were you working prior to taking boards? I currently work at a sub acute facility

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Chris Sawyer in Apple Valley, California said: Eric. Thanks for this link it was very helpful to me as well. My only question is how can someone gain the necessary 18 months experience in an acute setting at this time? Havent current regs made it difficult, if not impossible, for aides to find work in rehab settings now that many levels of care are unable to utilize them? I have 32 months of patient care experience as a rehab aide in a long-term care facility, a BS in Health Science, and I am currently an assistant orthotist who works with patients 1-on-1. Recommendations for how I can fulfill the remaining requirements anyone?!? Thanks ahead of time.

Where u able to take boards?

41 months ago

Chris Sawyer in Apple Valley, California said: Eric. Thanks for this link it was very helpful to me as well. My only question is how can someone gain the necessary 18 months experience in an acute setting at this time? Havent current regs made it difficult, if not impossible, for aides to find work in rehab settings now that many levels of care are unable to utilize them? I have 32 months of patient care experience as a rehab aide in a long-term care facility, a BS in Health Science, and I am currently an assistant orthotist who works with patients 1-on-1. Recommendations for how I can fulfill the remaining requirements anyone?!? Thanks ahead of time.

Where u able to take boards?

Gus in Phoenix, Arizona

22 months ago

Hi my name is Gus
i will like to know is is any way to challenge the physical therapy assistant test
i have been working a PT aid for a least 17 years an OT aide too
if you happen to know some info would you let me know
gusa007@cox.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

N in Newark, California

19 months ago

Hello everyone, I've heard that accredited pta program graduates can apply and also Equivalency PTA Applicant. Also this info might be helpful: Gurnick Academy opened PTA program in San Mateo, CA.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.