Concorde Career College PTA program (San Diego)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

K. in San Francisco, California

39 months ago

Good evening.

I am in the application process and would love any and all feedback from current PTA students at Concorde in San Diego.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

N in Newark, California

38 months ago

I know about new PTA program in San Mateo, CA - Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mike jones1999 in san diego, California

34 months ago

Yes I am looking into Concorde as well. Hope to hear some reviews from present and graduated students to see how they like it. Also if they found any jobs afterwards.

student help in San Diego, California

29 months ago

I'm having a hard time getting observation hours. I've called over 20 locations, some SNF saying Hipaa prevents them and some no call backs or simply saying they can't accomidate me. Is there any PT in here kind enough to let me observe at their facility or if anyone knows which facilities that will let me observe. I'm located in San Diego. Thank you

tbol in San Diego, California

23 months ago

I just spoke with an admissions counselor today at the San Diego location and overall I liked it! I asked alot of questions and was very cautious and didn't automatically believe everything he said since I know the admissions counselors are sales people! He wasn't pushy though and seemed pretty genuine and answered my questions without beating around the bush or anything.

So I am planning to start next year. He says it will be starting sometime in Spring 2015 but couldnt tell me the exact month which was weird. I thought it would be the same every year. I guess they are picky. I was under the impression that as long as you are willing to pay the $$$$ you'd be accepted but that's not the case. You do have to pass 3 tests, they do seem pretty easy though, and have to be qualified for the loan if you are gonna take out loans. Only 30 students are accepted each year and he says there are like 60 applicants and they choose the ones that have a good academic background. If math isn't your strong subjects you most likely won't get chosen.

From what I gather they do wanna choose the people that will most likely succeed, ones that don't need to work while going to school, and ones that can deal with the fast paced structure. The school schedule is like a job. Mon- Fri 8-5. But I think he said the 1st term is 8-12 or something.

If you have already taken Anatomy and Physiology, within the last 5 years, they will give you credit for that and you wont have to take English and those kinds of classes if you can pass a CLEP test to show that you are proficient enough.

The location is fine, right off the exit, and the building itself was nice and clean. I am gonna try to get my testing done next week.

I saw lotsa nursing students (they were talking about nursing stuff) but I really wanted to talk to some current PTA students when I was there but didnt know which ones were.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

He did admit that it was very expensive but like others on here have stated, time is money, and the cost of the school is offset once you graduate and start making money instead of waiting around for the CC to accept you, if at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

verylblakely@*****.*** in San Diego, California

14 months ago

Hi T Bol,

I hope you get this. How's it going? Are you in the Concorde PTA program now? What do you think of it so far?

Thanks,

Veryl Blakely

14 months ago

Hi Veryl,
I coulda swore I posted an update about this on here, but anyway, I have decided against Concorde. I filled out all the paperwork, paid the registration fee, was getting ready to quit my job when I just had this gut feeling that Concorde just wasnt right for me. I already have a Bachelor's degree, yet I have to retake English 101 and College Algebra and some other GE classes which dont make sense cause I already have a Bachelor's so that should take care of the GEs. But nope, I would have to retake them and they came out to be roughly $1500 each class!!

Also the program is 20 months, yet maybe 2 or 3 months is the GE classes you have to take. And the program is $45K. That doesnt add up right. Mesa's program is roughly 24 months, way cheaper, and you start the core classes right away.

I have a feeling I probably wont get into Mesa's program AGAIN, so I am planning to apply to OTA programs as well.

The biggest thing was that it was just tooo expensive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

verylblakely@*****.*** in San Diego, California

14 months ago

Thanks T Bol,
I'm heading over to Concorde in 30 minutes to discuss their program, and I have similar concerns. I'll let you know if I find out anything different from what you stated.

A.C. in San Diego, California

12 months ago

Hello Everyone,

I was looking for info on the PTA program at Concorde and I found you guys. : )

I haven't contacted the school yet. Just feeling out my options. I have the GI bill benefits for 13 months only. I know the program is 20, but I have two associates degrees that I hope transfer over to shorten that time.

Verylb, how did your meeting w/ Concorde go? Still considering the school?

T Bol did you find a school you liked? Are you in a PTA program now?

I would love more info on PTA ...if there are anymore programs in San Diego? ....is there anyone in a PTA program now or a graduate?... any advice would help.

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

A.C. in San Diego, California

12 months ago

Oh one last thing I forgot .... does anyone know the start date for Concorde PTA prog. in 2015?

verylblakely@*****.*** in Lemon Grove, California

12 months ago

A.C. in San Diego, California said: Hello Everyone,

I was looking for info on the PTA program at Concorde and I found you guys. : )

I haven't contacted the school yet. Just feeling out my options. I have the GI bill benefits for 13 months only. I know the program is 20, but I have two associates degrees that I hope transfer over to shorten that time.

Verylb, how did your meeting w/ Concorde go? Still considering the school?

T Bol did you find a school you liked? Are you in a PTA program now?

I would love more info on PTA ...if there are anymore programs in San Diego? ....is there anyone in a PTA program now or a graduate?... any advice would help.

Thank you!

Hi AC,

There are two programs in San Diego. Concorde and Mesa College. While the man I sat down with at Concorde was very friendly, not all of his answers had the ring of sincerity. Just across the parking lot is a Career center to help those unemployed and seeking assistance. These people are well funded, well educated, and experienced. They advised me to steer clear of Concorde.

That being said, when I did my own shadowing of PTA's in various venues as I sought a deeper understanding of just what PTA's do, I did meet someone who had graduated from Concorde. He was a PTA who had already long been working in the US Navy as a PTA, so for him I think it was just a formality, and seeing as how the Navy paid for it, he had nothing to lose, and consequently made a smooth transition to being a civilian PTA.

For people like me, the San Diego Metro Career Center advised against trusting Concorde. Mesa College offers a program, but as you've probably already discovered, it's impacted, and the randomly generated computer selection process might cause you to have to wait for many years before you're accepted.

I seem to have surpassed the word limit here. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

Hi AC,
I dont really care about finding a school I like, it is more about finding a school that accepts me and is affordable! lol In San Diego, THAT is hard to find!

I am not in a PTA program now, I actually have to retake A&P so I can REAPPLY to Mesa and am also considering applying to OTA programs as well and schools in OC or LA.

Concorde's PTA program is once a year, I think in February, unless they changed it. If your associates degree classes are not within the last 5 years they wont transfer.

As you may already know Concorde doesnt have a great reputation. Just go there and see for yourself and ask TONS of questions. The "admissions counselor" I met with used to be a loan officer, so he knows how to charm and is eager to "close the deal".

verylblakely@*****.*** in Lemon Grove, California

12 months ago

For what it's worth, I went to an informational meeting for prospective occupational therapy assistants at Grossmont College about five weeks ago. It was very interesting, and it seemed to me if you were undecided it would behoove you to attend one of these meetings and learn more. Of course, you can also shadow PTA's and COTA's where they work in the same environment such as a SNF, but there's so much overlap, I'd highly recommend attending a meeting such as the one I went to at Grossmont. Good luck!

AC in San Diego, California

12 months ago

Thanks for both of your responds. They have been helpful and now I have to figure out what to do... plan B or C

Not sure if it's worth going to Concorde. I don't think they will be the right fit.

Good luck to everyone : )

gixerkiller in Gardena, California

12 months ago

Why would you waste your money on a "for profit school"? I still do not understand this.

Corinthians is bankrupt, Everest is under investigation, so is ICDC, University of Phoenix, and a number of other schools. Charges of over charging for classes, canceling classes, un licensed instructors,no accreditation of violations of said rules for accreditation..

I guess the old adage is true about a sucker born every minute.

don't waste your time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Oceanside, California

7 months ago

T Bol in San Diego, California said: Hi Veryl,
I coulda swore I posted an update about this on here, but anyway, I have decided against Concorde. I filled out all the paperwork, paid the registration fee, was getting ready to quit my job when I just had this gut feeling that Concorde just wasnt right for me. I already have a Bachelor's degree, yet I have to retake English 101 and College Algebra and some other GE classes which dont make sense cause I already have a Bachelor's so that should take care of the GEs. But nope, I would have to retake them and they came out to be roughly $1500 each class!!

Also the program is 20 months, yet maybe 2 or 3 months is the GE classes you have to take. And the program is $45K. That doesnt add up right. Mesa's program is roughly 24 months, way cheaper, and you start the core classes right away.

I have a feeling I probably wont get into Mesa's program AGAIN, so I am planning to apply to OTA programs as well.

The biggest thing was that it was just tooo expensive.

You may want to check their policy. I'm looking at the program in Denver Concorde for PTA. 12k less and cost of living is less. They both have same start date, Jan 19th of 2015. But the admin person told me they had a recent policy change and only science classes have to be in 5 years or less. Everything else like Math and English, Sociology/Psych should transfer over. I do not know if this was ONLY in colorado or if its applicable.

7 months ago

student help in San Diego, California said: I'm having a hard time getting observation hours. I've called over 20 locations, some SNF saying Hipaa prevents them and some no call backs or simply saying they can't accomidate me. Is there any PT in here kind enough to let me observe at their facility or if anyone knows which facilities that will let me observe. I'm located in San Diego. Thank you

Palomar and Scripps will. You have to complete their volunteer training and they both have considerable lists and require a 100 hour committment. You will also have to provide immunization proof, pass a background check etc. This processs DOES take a while, so be aware. The volunteer training is typically held once a month or every other month and fills up fast.

7 months ago

A.C. in San Diego, California said: Oh one last thing I forgot .... does anyone know the start date for Concorde PTA prog. in 2015?

January 19, 2015 same as the one in Aurora (Denver)area.

7 months ago

verylblakely@yahoo.com in Lemon Grove, California said: Hi AC,

There are two programs in San Diego. Concorde and Mesa College . While the man I sat down with at Concorde was very friendly, not all of his answers had the ring of sincerity. Just across the parking lot is a Career center to help those unemployed and seeking assistance. These people are well funded, well educated, and experienced. They advised me to steer clear of Concorde.

That being said, when I did my own shadowing of PTA's in various venues as I sought a deeper understanding of just what PTA's do, I did meet someone who had graduated from Concorde. He was a PTA who had already long been working in the US Navy as a PTA, so for him I think it was just a formality, and seeing as how the Navy paid for it, he had nothing to lose, and consequently made a smooth transition to being a civilian PTA.

For people like me, the San Diego Metro Career Center advised against trusting Concorde. Mesa College offers a program, but as you've probably already discovered, it's impacted, and the randomly generated computer selection process might cause you to have to wait for many years before you're accepted.

I seem to have surpassed the word limit here. Good luck.

There is also a Community College near L.A that offers it, Cerritos College and Loma Linda University which has the best rated program in all of the West have it. Cost at Loma Linda is about the same as Concorde. But they are a medical and dental school so legit and BEST of all REGIONALLY accredited. Meaning that they're not just accredited by the Physical Therapy Association but also by the education body that accredits Universities and Community Colleges. Translation. ANY CREDITS YOU EARN HERE YOU CAN APPLY TO A BACHELOR'S degree at any other state or regionally accredited university. Most for profit vocation schools are NOT regionally accredited, so any credits taken there will not transfer towards a Bachelors.

7 months ago

What program are you looking into verylblakely?
I attended the respiratory therapist and ota one and I definitely would rather give my money to Grossmont. Too bad they have such long waitlists. OTA is the longest waitlist out of all is what Ive been told. I really like the campus and the instructors at Grossmont!

7 months ago

gixerkiller in Gardena, California said: Why would you waste your money on a "for profit school"? I still do not understand this.

Corinthians is bankrupt, Everest is under investigation, so is ICDC, University of Phoenix, and a number of other schools. Charges of over charging for classes, canceling classes, un licensed instructors,no accreditation of violations of said rules for accreditation..

I guess the old adage is true about a sucker born every minute.

don't waste your time

Because its the fastest way to get your license. And if you don't care about going on to a bachelor's you can be out and working once you pass the state licensing exam. All the state programs are HUGELY impacted and most take 2 years. Who can blame them. PT demand is huge in CA and who wouldn't want to pay 3k in tuition for a certification/degree that pays and average of over 50k? So for some people that just want to be elligible to sit for the PTA exam, this is a valid option. But anyone going this route should do themselves a favor and get all their pre-reqs done at a Community College. Cheaper than doing it at Concorde and you can use them later on if you wanted to go on to lets say a BS in Exercise Science, or any further degree.

7 months ago

Jane in Oceanside, California said: You may want to check their policy. I'm looking at the program in Denver Concorde for PTA. 12k less and cost of living is less. They both have same start date, Jan 19th of 2015. But the admin person told me they had a recent policy change and only science classes have to be in 5 years or less. Everything else like Math and English, Sociology/Psych should transfer over. I do not know if this was ONLY in colorado or if its applicable.

Hmm that is good to know. They will be my last last resort. I am waiting to hear back from an OTA program in Santa Ana by the end of this month.

7 months ago

PTA program at Mesa will be accepting apps March - June. Ill probably apply for the heck of it.

7 months ago

mike jones1999 in san diego, California said: Yes I am looking into Concorde as well. Hope to hear some reviews from present and graduated students to see how they like it. Also if they found any jobs afterwards.

Yes, I applied there and got conditional acceptance. I'm waiting to see if I can pass physiology which they require as a pre-req. Seems like a good program though new. All their students passed and all but one (who is a stay at home Mom right now) have found jobs. They are also very close to Stanford University Hospital. I liked that they seem to be more picky, and the head of the program has been a PT for 20 years. Also the person doing my interview was a PTA, so I got to ask questions of someone IN the field. They are the same $ per credit hour as most other private programs, but you come to them with all your basics done, so you're not paying for them there. If I had to do it over. I would have saved myself the trouble and applied to Loma Linda... I still might if I don't get in. They are great medical school, you're surrounded by future drs and dentists and next to a teaching hospital. 2 hr drive to Sand Diego approx.

7 months ago

T Bol in San Diego, California said: Hmm that is good to know. They will be my last last resort. I am waiting to hear back from an OTA program in Santa Ana by the end of this month.

Sweet! Where? Sending you good vibes. Not sure if you have interest in taking it further but some places have an OTA to OT bridge programs. So at some point you can be a full on OT if you want to. It does seem to come with a nice salary bump. And you don't need a doctorate currently only a masters. But you think you might want to go that way get your OTA degree at a state school. I've been researching all this crap for months and man is there a lot to sort through. Good grief. Wish I'd done it 10 years ago when I had the chance. I'd have my masters in PT and be grandfathered in to practice with it. Hindsight. 20/100 in my case... Ugh... I think longterm I will go for OT after I work as a PTA for a couple of years and save some $$

7 months ago

N in Newark, California said: I know about new PTA program in San Mateo, CA - Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts.

Yes, I applied there and got conditional acceptance. I'm waiting to see if I can pass physiology which they require as a pre-req. Seems like a good program though new. All their students passed and all but one (who is a stay at home Mom right now) have found jobs. They are also very close to Stanford University Hospital. I liked that they seem to be more picky, and the head of the program has been a PT for 20 years. Also the person doing my interview was a PTA, so I got to ask questions of someone IN the field. They are the same $ per credit hour as most other private programs, but you come to them with all your basics done, so you're not paying for them there. If I had to do it over. I would have saved myself the trouble and applied to Loma Linda... I still might if I don't get in. They are great medical school, you're surrounded by future drs and dentists and next to a teaching hospital. 2 hr drive to Sand Diego approx.

7 months ago

mike jones1999 in san diego, California said: Yes I am looking into Concorde as well. Hope to hear some reviews from present and graduated students to see how they like it. Also if they found any jobs afterwards.

This info can be verified through the school. They are required to keep pass rates for the program and job placement stats as part of their accredation with the PT association. So just call them and ask for those numbers.

7 months ago

Jane in Oceanside, California said: Sweet! Where? Sending you good vibes. Not sure if you have interest in taking it further but some places have an OTA to OT bridge programs. So at some point you can be a full on OT if you want to. It does seem to come with a nice salary bump. And you don't need a doctorate currently only a masters. But you think you might want to go that way get your OTA degree at a state school. I've been researching all this crap for months and man is there a lot to sort through. Good grief. Wish I'd done it 10 years ago when I had the chance. I'd have my masters in PT and be grandfathered in to practice with it. Hindsight. 20/100 in my case... Ugh... I think longterm I will go for OT after I work as a PTA for a couple of years and save some $$

It's Santa Ana Community College so it is pretty cheap, around $5K. Apparently they stopped accepting applications for a while to take care of their long waitlist. They started accepting again this year but now it is based on a lottery, just like Mesa. Stupid lottery system, so I am prepared for the worst case scenario. Ive been rejected twice from Mesa so Im kinda used to it lol. But I do hope I get in!! We will see. They also have a fall and spring start date so that can get more people in.

Ah yes I have researched the hell outta OTA,PTA, PT and OT as well!! I even considered speech therapy but it is not my thing. I did see the OTA to OT bridge program but none near me. I went to CSU Dominguez Hills info session on their OT program, it is only 2 years since I have a Bachelor's but it is super competitive and I need to take the GRE and some other stuff before I can apply. My plan is to do either PTA or OTA for a few years and then maybe Physician Assistant. But I dont need to be thinking about that just yet, Ill cross that bridge after I get an acceptance letter from somewhere!

7 months ago

Earlier this week I talked to a PT that works in the plaza where I work and he said he just hired a PTA from Mesa AND Concorde. So Im pretty Concorde graduates have the same chances as other PTA grads from not for profit schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.