Females and Home Health

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Newly Licensed PTA in Austin, Texas

20 months ago

Hi there,

This is a question for all the ladies in the house, specifically those who have worked in the field of home health as a PTA. Simple question: Do you think its safe to be a female and work in the home health setting? Have you ever run across any situations where you didn't feel safe?

Thanks, look forward to what you have to say about this!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bluelineman in McKinney, Texas

19 months ago

Im not a woman but I am in home health & work with mostly women. I wouldnt worry about it. If you feel unsafe when you get somewhere, just call the office & tell them you arent going there.

bray1 in Kentucky

19 months ago

Hi, I am also a female and have an interview soon with a home health company. I graduated last year so only 6-7 months of OP experience but am wanting to work just 2 days a week since I have a special needs kid at home. My question has to do with pay and "per visit" or "hourly"...which should I ask for and does it make a difference, and how much should I be asking for? I have seen discussions on this board saying the going rate is $40-50 but is that per visit? Or hourly? I am really wanting this opportunity to work out because of the flexibility that I need. But I do not want to sell myself short. But on the other hand, I do not want to come in asking for way too much since I do not have HH experience yet. Any ideas??

bray1 in Kentucky

19 months ago

Just re-read my comment...I guess being a female doesn't have anything to do with my post, lol. Also this is for PTA, I didn't clarify that :)

19 months ago

bray1 in Kentucky said: Hi, I am also a female and have an interview soon with a home health company. I graduated last year so only 6-7 months of OP experience but am wanting to work just 2 days a week since I have a special needs kid at home. My question has to do with pay and "per visit" or "hourly"...which should I ask for and does it make a difference, and how much should I be asking for? I have seen discussions on this board saying the going rate is $40-50 but is that per visit? Or hourly? I am really wanting this opportunity to work out because of the flexibility that I need. But I do not want to sell myself short. But on the other hand, I do not want to come in asking for way too much since I do not have HH experience yet. Any ideas??

More than likely the pay will be per visit for PRN. I've never heard of anyone having a choice. Every PRN gig I've had in home health has been per visit. Most of the time drive time is not paid, which for full time it is. So establish your coverage area right from the start.

bray1 in Kentucky

18 months ago

I was offered $50 per visit. Should I ask for any mileage reimbursement?

18 months ago

Yes. Most of the companies here pay mileage. This is tax free $ BTW. If they dont, you can write the miles off your taxes. But I would try for paid mileage.

Heather Lopez in Arlington, Texas

4 months ago

This is a really late response, but I am just curious if you accepted that offer, bray? Do you like working home health? I ultimately want to work 2 days a week in home health, would you recommend it?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.