Going to school while being PTA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Austin in Ocala, Florida

28 months ago

I want to go to school to be a physical therapist but I was wondering if it is possible to be a PTA while going to school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

funtwo123 in Torrance, California

28 months ago

why go to school to become a pt if youre trying to become a pta? I dont get it..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

funtwo123 in Torrance, California

28 months ago

Did you mean to finish up undergraduate first while going to a pta program? Its possible but you're going to have a hard time.

Austin in Gainesville, Florida

28 months ago

I want to eventually become a PT but while I'm going to school to be a PT I'm thinking about working as a PTA and was wondering how hard that would be?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

PTAgirl in El Cerrito, California

28 months ago

A friend of mine from PTA school is doing that now. She is working per diem at a SNF. If you find the right place you can do it. But you have to go to PTA school first. And pass the licensing exams.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ms3473 in Independence, Ohio

28 months ago

Guys, I currently work in a totally different industry making around 40k a year. I have a bachelors degree, sports management major. My mom is in her 60's and has parkinsons along with some other medical issues and I lost my dad to cancer about a year ago so I have become more involoved in my moms life as far as helping her.

For some reason the idea of a career as a physical thereapy assistant or even a physical therapist seems intrigueing.

My question is, since I'm a college graduate, do you think some of the prereqs i took previously would cover some of the prereqs required in the coursework to become a PTA?

mollyKINS in Diamond Springs, California

28 months ago

I majored in Kinesiology/Pre-PT and I needed anatomy, physiology, english, physics, communications etc. for the pta school I applied to and all of the classes I took for my B.S. transferred to my program and I was accepted this last month :). My college required all general Ed classes before applying which was about a years worth of prereqisites. A lot of other schools only require 3 or 4 classes and then they incorporate the rest into the program. My program will be ONLY pta courses and of course clinicles since I knocked out all the GE courses while completing my B.S. I would go to the apta website and look up the schools you are interested in applying to and see what they require. I think I had all the prerequisites to apply anywhere in the country with the exception of medical terminology. For the school I got into they wanted 8 sem units of English and I only had 4 but because I had a B.S. I didn't have to take that extra English class. That was nice :) So 1st decide where you are interested in applying and then if you have any questions about prerequisites or observation hours email one of the people in the pta department at that school. There should be a contact list on every schools pta web page. Hope this helps! Good luck!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.