Has anyone ever known a PTA to open their own PT practice and hire PT's to work there?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Barbara

49 months ago

There is no law on who can own a PT practice. But if you become a Medicare provider you will need someone with a Bachelors Degree to be the administrator, also, All insurance companies will be using the PT's license number for you to get issued a provider number in order to bill for services. I'm a PTA and owned a Outpatient Rehab Facility for 6 yrs. You can do it, just a lot of things you need to know up front before you do it. You need to look at demographics, competition, where the Docs are referring and insurance companies only issue so many providerships in a region for therapy so if a big provider like BC BS HMO or specialty contract has already been issued to another therapy practice , it may be yrs for you to get another contract, you can get a contract but if your out of network you will lose the referral base because it will cost the patient more out of pocket to come to you. And don't think you can just tell the pt you will accept just what their provider pays to get their business because that's insurance fraud. My business was very successful, I sold it and it's still open. Just do your homework. There's an old article in Advance for PT's and PTA's about PTA's who opened their own practice. It was many yrs ago but I was interviewed for the article and gave some good info. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

weezy in Sparta, New Jersey

49 months ago

Thanks Barbara. That was useful information. Congrats to you!
One key note on my business is: I already have a strong referral base ready and at least 2 very talented PT's interested in working as soon as it opens.
I would love to run a couple of ideas past you if that would be ok (by email or phone) - I don't want to make too much info public online before I open the practice.
Thanks so much for your post,
Lisa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

weezy in Sparta, New Jersey

49 months ago

You have it wrong, screamer: 'Lisa' isn't my real name and I do not plan to open a PT practice in Sparta, NJ.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ben in Port Jervis, New York

36 months ago

Barbara said: There is no law on who can own a PT practice. But if you become a Medicare provider you will need someone with a Bachelors Degree to be the administrator, also, All insurance companies will be using the PT's license number for you to get issued a provider number in order to bill for services. I'm a PTA and owned a Outpatient Rehab Facility for 6 yrs. You can do it, just a lot of things you need to know up front before you do it. You need to look at demographics, competition, where the Docs are referring and insurance companies only issue so many providerships in a region for therapy so if a big provider like BC BS HMO or specialty contract has already been issued to another therapy practice , it may be yrs for you to get another contract, you can get a contract but if your out of network you will lose the referral base because it will cost the patient more out of pocket to come to you. And don't think you can just tell the pt you will accept just what their provider pays to get their business because that's insurance fraud. My business was very successful, I sold it and it's still open. Just do your homework. There's an old article in Advance for PT's and PTA's about PTA's who opened their own practice. It was many yrs ago but I was interviewed for the article and gave some good info. Good luck.

Hi Barbara, Would a Bachelors degree in business be acceptible or are you referring to a minimum of a Bachelors in PT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

barb in Youngstown, Ohio

25 months ago

Can anyone tell me how to better inform myself on how to run a PT dept per medicare and insurances. I was offered a position with an assisted living facility however, they are counting on me for the answers to ensure the dept is run appropriately. I know that they will hire a per diem PT and I will be their full time pta. I do not know how to bill medicare or insurances for ALF or for out patient which they would also like to do. I would really appreciate some direction because I believe they could have a remarkable business. I am a Home Health PTA with 20 yrs experience and have run PT dept's in the past so I feel confident in my skills but not in business.
Thank you for your reply's

bluelineman in McKinney, Texas

24 months ago

barb in Youngstown, Ohio said: Can anyone tell me how to better inform myself on how to run a PT dept per medicare and insurances. I was offered a position with an assisted living facility however, they are counting on me for the answers to ensure the dept is run appropriately. I know that they will hire a per diem PT and I will be their full time pta. I do not know how to bill medicare or insurances for ALF or for out patient which they would also like to do. I would really appreciate some direction because I believe they could have a remarkable business . I am a Home Health PTA with 20 yrs experience and have run PT dept's in the past so I feel confident in my skills but not in business.
Thank you for your reply's

I don't have an answer to your question, but I would not count on a Per diem/PRN PT to provide direction. They usually are looking for extra hours & don't want to be bothered by things they won't get paid for.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.