Insight from thoses in the PTA program

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 225)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

russ1220 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

39 months ago

It's always nice to hear from those who are already in the field and it gives me great motivation to work hard. But, I would like to hear from those about experiences and tips on getting excepted into a program. Also, insight on once one is in the program what is to be expected.

Im currently attending Broward College, and I'm very sure of my major being PTA. I am very excited to be moving in the right direction and making progress at achieving my goal. I'm a older student and am determined to succed. I feel at the point there isn't much that can detour me from reaching my goal.

I appreciate this forum. The information and tips that are provided.

Everyone keep up the good work!
Thanks for any insight you can provide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Future PTA in Scottsdale, Arizona

39 months ago

As somebody who just finished with the application process, I think I have quite a bit to add here. Most of the answer to your question is going to depend of course on whether you are already committed/tied down to a particular school or geographic location. In those instances, of course the answer to the question is to just call the schools or look on their websites and see what the criteria for admittance is.

I'm assuming you're looking to apply for admittance for Fall 2012, since all the application dates are pretty much already passed for this Fall.

For myself, the only PTA program in my area had a three year waiting list, which basically meant that if I wanted to attend school in the near future I would have to move. What I did was compile a list of every public PTA program in the country. I excluded all the private programs because they are more expensive, less competitive, and generally less reputable than public programs.

I then made an excel sheet with every school's website, and a bunch of cells noting things like contact information (e-mail and phone numbers) how much tuition costs, how long the program takes to finish, what the outcomes of the programs were graduation wise and licensing wise, etc.

I then started making notes about which programs seemed like I had the best chance of getting into based on what they were looking for. Tons and tons of programs were eliminated because I just wasn't a good fit for the particular criteria they were looking. At the end of this whole process, I was left with my "Top 5" programs that I was going to apply to, with one being a long shot and 4 being pretty solid bets.

Things worked out exactly as I had expected. I was accepted into 4 of the 5 programs and had my pick of the one I most wanted to attend. I understand that doing it this way is not an option for everyone, as many people are rooted to a particular geographic location.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Future PTA in Scottsdale, Arizona

39 months ago

A few other things to keep in mind is that, for me, the key to success was finding the schools that fit my strengths, as opposed to messing around with schools that really just weren't a good fit application criteria wise. The low hanging fruit is always the path of least resistance.

You can find a list of every accredited program in the country by visiting the APTA website.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

russ1220 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

39 months ago

Thanks for the input @ Future PTA. Yes, I myself am limited by the distances of the schools but I have 2 or 3 at least to choose from. Congrats on the acceptances, you must be over joyed!

Why do you think you we're accepted by 4 colleges, what did you have or present that made you stand out of the bunch? That's more so the question i'm asking. What is it I should be doing before the application time to gurantee a spot.

I am very confident about the whole process and very much excited. At this point in my life I don't see failure in my future. So i'm taking all the wisdom from those whom have already walked in my shoes!

Thanks a bunch, take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Future PTA in Scottsdale, Arizona

39 months ago

Well, that's kind of what I was getting at is that what you have to do depends entirely on the program. Admittance criteria varies widely. Have you talked to the schools yet? How you go about standing out depends greatly on what it is they are asking for.

Some general pointers of course:

-Highest GPA possible in all the prereq courses

-High general GPA (if they look at this)

-Strong letters of recommendation (if they ask for them)

-Lots of volunteer hours (varies depending on how they score the apps)

See where I'm going with this? It just depends on what they want. Do you know what the schools are looking for and what you need to turn in to apply? Give me some of that information, and I'll do my best to give some hopefully helpful pointers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

honeybee7606@yahoo.com in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

39 months ago

I think the majority of public college would require that you have a high GPA and completed most of the required preq. They mostly go by a point system, so the more classes you've taken and the higher your GPA the better your chance. Now the private colleges may be a bit more lentient because of course the more student the better for them.

I don't prefer a private vs a public for a few factors, price, price, and may not be well recognized. The ones that my be a possibility are Broward College/Edison, State College (both public, then Keiser or South University (both private).

I been doing my research so for the most part I am quite aware of what is required. You been excepted already, did you have a high GPA and have completed most of the preq?

I know when the time approaches I will be ready for what is to come. Failure isn't in my forecast.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PTA in Weston, Florida

39 months ago

Russ,

I'm also at Broward College PTA program. I can tell you that it is VERY competitive to get in. The PTA field is very hot right now. Everyone and their mother is trying to get in. While getting my pre-reqs I saw a lot of students pumping professors for answers, average "C" students were getting A's by working/pumping the professors to make their GPAs look good for their PTA application. People will do just about anything to get in, they'll even try to bias the screener and manipulate the system by befriending the screener (BC only has one person who looks at all the PTA applications and everyone knows who it is), i.e. this person runs a database search with the criteria of highest points to lowest points. So you are at their mercy and bias. I'll give you my advice below.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

honeybee7606@yahoo.com in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

39 months ago

@PTA in Weston, Florida
Hello,nice to hear from someone close to home. So I guess I will be needing that persons name so I can start bribeing them early. Lol:-) When I apply for the program I will thn live on the west coast so I would apply to the Edison campus and I think they only except like 20 or so.

This is not good newa! All I can do with the information I have is do my very best, keep the faith, and keep my options open. I guess if push comes to shove there are the private schools(which I don't prefer). I was viewing State College of Florida in Sarasota, they don't require much in comparision to BC but there app process starts in March and I won't have completed the req. preq.

There aren't many schools to choose from in S. Fl, at least public ones. Let me know your advice.

Thanks for your input!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

PTA in Weston, Florida

39 months ago

Russ,

The Broward College PTA Program uses a points-only system where you can earn up to 34 out of 34 points by completing all the pre-reqs plus your GPA. No PT volunteering hours or letters of recommendation are required.

Broward College is the best PTA school in the area with a NPTE passing rate of 95% vs Miami-Dade's 86%. It's also a good value at around $10,000. Here are some hard numbers I acquired directly from the PTA Program's Associate Dean and Associate Registrar. They had 338 applicants for the May 2011 PTA class, 36 candidates were accepted who earned between 32 to 34 total points, and had GPAs of 3.35 or higher. The drop-out rate for the PTA Program is 40-50% during the 2-year program, which suggests the vetting/screening process is not discerning enough, or someone is helping people get into the program who are less than qualified or determined. Unfortunately, BC uses a single screener, so there is no acceptance review board for checks and balances. This creates opportunity for bias in admissions process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

PTA in Weston, Florida

39 months ago

Russ,

As I said above, there is no waiting list at Broward College, they use solely a points-only system. So...

My advice: Get straight A's in ALL the pre-req courses. That way you will have zero doubt of the outcome, and BC will have no excuse. They'll have to accept you 100%, and you will not have to sit and wait indefinitely like so many students with low GPAs whose acceptance letters never come and they sit and wait for 3 to 5 years. If you do not get accepted after getting straight A's, you have several options that you will not have with a low GPA: 1) Talk with the Dean, show them your records and explain why you should have been accepted, and ask for a review/appeal (there is no transparency/visibility into the screening process so abuse is very possible, especially when your GPA is less than perfect), option 2) hire an attorney, get a subpoena for the student records of everyone accepted, and commence an immediate discovery process looking for people who were less qualified than you but were accepted, indicating a bias.

If you look at the hard numbers above, there is no way that all 36 candidates will have a 4.0 GPA and 34 out of 34 points. That's why a high GPA is the ONLY option if you don't want to sit and wait indefinitely. Hiring an attorney to subpoena records may seem radical, but to someone who has spent a year doing pre-reqs, thousands $$$, and thousands of hours studying, there are no other options, but acceptance. Unfortunately, in every admissions process, at every University, large or small, there is bias because there are human emotions involved on both sides and there is always some parent (or student) that picks up the phone and calls in a favor from the people (or person in the case of Broward College) involved in the applications review process. So, if you are really determined to get in, you have to be willing to fight for it.

Good luck, and remember, get the highest GPA possible. That's your ace in the hole.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PTA in Weston, Florida

39 months ago

Russ,

As I said above, there is no waiting list at Broward College, they use solely a points-only system. So...

My advice: Get straight A's in ALL the pre-req courses. That way you will have zero doubt of the outcome, and BC will have no excuse. They'll have to accept you 100%, and you will not have to sit and wait indefinitely like so many students with low GPAs whose acceptance letters never come and they sit and wait for 3 to 5 years. If you do not get accepted after getting straight A's, you have several options that you will not have with a low GPA: 1) Talk with the Dean, show them your records and explain why you should have been accepted, and ask for a review/appeal (there is no transparency/visibility into the screening process so abuse is very possible, especially when your GPA is less than perfect), option 2) hire an attorney, get a subpoena for the student records of everyone accepted, and commence an immediate discovery process looking for people who were less qualified than you but were accepted, indicating a bias.

If you look at the hard numbers above, there is no way that all 36 candidates will have a 4.0 GPA and 34 out of 34 points. That's why a high GPA is the ONLY option if you don't want to sit and wait indefinitely. Hiring an attorney to subpoena records may seem radical, but to someone who has spent a year doing pre-reqs, thousands $$$, and thousands of hours studying, there are no other options, but acceptance. Unfortunately, in every admissions process, at every University, large or small, there is bias because there are human emotions involved on both sides and there is always some parent (or student) that picks up the phone and calls in a favor from the people (or person in the case of Broward College) involved in the applications review process. So, if you are really determined to get in, you have to be willing to fight for it.

Good luck, and remember, get the highest GPA possible. That's your ace in the hole.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melissa Dianne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

39 months ago

Thank you PTA in Weston, this is very insightful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

daphne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

38 months ago

Ive been rejected by BC's PTA program twice! i have all As and Bs except in the anatomy's. so ive gone out of my way to retake both classes at Keiser University with the plan to transfer back to BC with As in these classes and hopefully make me competitive enough to get into the May 2012 class. I retook A&P 1 and recieved an A. Now im starting A&P 2 on monday. Someone just told me that that i wasted my time doing this because BC is only going to average the previous grade with my new grade and not actually replace it. therefore that means the best i can do is a B because thats what an A and C averages out to. Now im unsure if I'll get in with that. does anyone know if the dean may look at me and see that i made the effort to do better for the program and accept me? if that doesnt work i'll be already on Keiser's wait list for the PTA program and I could start some time next year there. has anyone taken the program there and can give me any advice about it? thx in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Determined PTA in Hollywood, Florida

38 months ago

Daphne,

They are correct. You can't just retake the course at another school to improve your GPA. Those grades will become part of the overall GPA average. So it will help very little. You needed to drop these courses before completing them at BC to avoid getting the C's put on your transcripts to begin with. Then retake them at BC. But that's water under the bridge. You'll have to live with that GPA now. The PTA Associate Dean will not help you at all. Even if you contact her, she will distance herself from the "review" process and tell you that she "has nothing to do with the admissions process". Which is not true. I was told (by someone in the know at BC) that she can ultimately override anything and allow anyone she wants into the program by making a phone call to the person who sends her the final 36 selected, but obviously you would have to be very close to her(a friend or family) to get such a favor.

Good luck to you. If your GPA is below 3.35, you will probably get into another school before BC accepts you. For now, PTA is very competitive, many applicants at BC have BS and MS degrees, some in nursing or other medical fields. I for one have a 4.0 in my pre-reqs and a Master of Science. If I don't get in for May 2012, all hell will break loose for these people and I will definitely subpoena their records to expose transparency and find out why.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

daphne

38 months ago

Wow! I kind of feel discouraged now but ill keep trying my options. Taking anatomy 10x times seems a little too much for me and desperate. I don't really have the money to spend that much money over n over on one class like that. But I'm thinking of sticking to keiser. BC has tried me one too many times for me to continue puting my time n faith in that school any longer. thanks for the suggestions though guys. But if anyone had taken the program at Keiser please let me know how it was. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

daphne

38 months ago

Wow! I kind of feel discouraged now but ill keep trying my options. Taking anatomy 10x times seems a little too much for me and desperate. I don't really have the money to spend that much money over n over on one class like that. But I'm thinking of sticking to keiser. BC has tried me one too many times for me to continue puting my time n faith in that school any longer. thanks for the suggestions though guys. But if anyone had taken the program at Keiser please let me know how it was. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Future PTA in Gilbert, Arizona

38 months ago

Take the class ten times? That would take five years. You're surely joking?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

daphne

38 months ago

@Future PTA, I would never take a class that many times. That's what Cool with Skool suggested to me. I'm hoping that was a joke too lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RUSS1220 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

38 months ago

Hello to all,

It's nice hearing everyones experience and knowledge. It's is also a bit discouraging, but I guess it is reality. @daphne, so you've already tried twice with no success,wow! I anticipate applying for next year and to the Edison campus. I wonder if there is anyone out there with knowledge of the pro's and con's of the Edison
location. Has anyone thought about applying to Miami-Dade, when there are options we can't put all our eggs in one basket.

If I were to remain here on the east coast I would have more options (Miami-Dade, Keiser, South University. There aren't many options on the west coast that aren't hours away. With the experiences such as ones listed seems like private accredited schools are an option, even with the prce.

I am still determined and positive and look forward to the future.

The best of luck to everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

daphne

38 months ago

@RUSS1220 yea I got 32 points for this year. Although they accepted ppl with 32 points they didn't choose me. I'm sure its cause of my Cs in anatomy 1 and 2.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joyie in San Diego, California

38 months ago

I need help. Where can I find the PTA salaries in california? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in El Dorado Hills, California

38 months ago

Joyie in San Diego, California said: I need help. Where can I find the PTA salaries in california? Thanks

www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcst.htm

www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes312021.htm

I've heard of higher wages but I guess that's the median. $23.95.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joyie in San Diego, California

38 months ago

Thanks, Kim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

elgreenpta in Perry, Florida

38 months ago

Hello all,
I am sorry to hear about all who have been rejected from clinical programs. I will interject a happy note and say that I have recently been accepted to my program at Florida Gateway College in Lake City, Fl.I finished my prereq course exclusively online ( except for A&P labs) and by credit by exam options.To get in any program, you simply have to excell in A&P. It is the core of our field and would be wrong to lower that standard. I was required to achieve an average score in A&P and a conceptual physics course that totaled up on a point system of one to five for consideration. The other courses had to be at least a C avg to consider. The 30 highest students are accepted. The school and area population are small and the program somewhat new and there were 67 applicants.
You guys at broward are describing crazy competition and I do feel for you. In any school you'll need around 3.5 gpa or better to make a fair showing. You just have to take your grades seriously and focus completely. I did my prereqs.very quickly and decisively. I would hate to have to do it again but I will say it is certainly worth it and if I can do it most of you can too :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeremiah in Sanderson, Florida

37 months ago

elgreenpta,

Tell Dr. G and Saralee I said hello! Please study those muscles...if I cannot possibly understate how much further you will be in your class if you learn at least the upper extremity muscles.

regards,
Jeremiah

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

282 in Perry, Florida

37 months ago

Jeremiah in Sanderson, Florida said: elgreenpta,

Tell Dr. G and Saralee I said hello! Please study those muscles...if I cannot possibly understate how much further you will be in your class if you learn at least the upper extremity muscles.

regards,
Jeremiah

Thanks Jeremiah,
When did you graduate from the program? Where are you working now? Thanks for your insight. I am all ears and am open to any help or encouragement you may give me. It is nice to hear from you. Have a great day :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeremiah in Lake City, Florida

37 months ago

I graduated in July 2010 and work OP in Macclenny, Fl. I recall them telling us, "learn those muscles!". After two weeks into the program I clearly understood why. You'll have a blast!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeremiah in Lake City, Florida

37 months ago

I graduated in July 2010 and work OP in Macclenny, Fl. I recall them telling us, "learn those muscles!". After two weeks into the program I clearly understood why. You'll have a blast!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Previous Student in Hollywood, Florida

37 months ago

RUSS1220 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Hello to all,

It's nice hearing everyones experience and knowledge. It's is also a bit discouraging, but I guess it is reality. @daphne, so you've already tried twice with no success,wow! I anticipate applying for next year and to the Edison campus. I wonder if there is anyone out there with knowledge of the pro's and con's of the Edison
location. Has anyone thought about applying to Miami-Dade, when there are options we can't put all our eggs in one basket.

If I were to remain here on the east coast I would have more options (Miami-Dade, Keiser, South University. There aren't many options on the west coast that aren't hours away. With the experiences such as ones listed seems like private accredited schools are an option, even with the prce.

I am still determined and positive and look forward to the future.

The best of luck to everyone!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Professor Hollodak at BC is horrible, I was in the program. You are not missing out by not going there. If they get a new professor, then there is some hope.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PTA in Weston, Florida

37 months ago

Previous Student in Hollywood, Florida said: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Professor Hollodak at BC is horrible, I was in the program. You are not missing out by not going there. If they get a new professor, then there is some hope.

Previous Student,

Did you graduate as a PTA from BC? If so, where are you working at? Can you expand on what was so horrible about Hollodak? I'm going to be taking classes from her and I want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks for your insights!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Previous Student in Hollywood, Florida

37 months ago

PTA in Weston, Florida said: Previous Student,

Did you graduate as a PTA from BC? If so, where are you working at? Can you expand on what was so horrible about Hollodak? I'm going to be taking classes from her and I want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks for your insights!

I did not graduate from the program, I withdrew in the second semester. You can read about her on RateMyProfessors: www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=413641 Her name is Maria Holodak, but on the site it is spelled Maria Hollodak. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PTA in Weston, Florida

37 months ago

Previous Student in Hollywood, Florida said: I did not graduate from the program, I withdrew in the second semester. You can read about her on RateMyProfessors: www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=413641 Her name is Maria Holodak, but on the site it is spelled Maria Hollodak. Good Luck.

Previous,

Did you ever have Jodi Goodkin as an instructor at BC? How was she? Can a student in the program choose which instructor to enroll with or are you automatically assigned classes/instructors every semester? In other words, is the enrollment for the PTA classes like any other class where you enroll online with the instructor you want. I believe they only have 2 instructors for the PTA courses, correct? Thanks for you help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Previous Student in Hollywood, Florida

37 months ago

PTA in Weston, Florida said: Previous,

Did you ever have Jodi Goodkin as an instructor at BC? How was she? Can a student in the program choose which instructor to enroll with or are you automatically assigned classes/instructors every semester? In other words, is the enrollment for the PTA classes like any other class where you enroll online with the instructor you want. I believe they only have 2 instructors for the PTA courses, correct? Thanks for you help!

I had Jodi Gootkin as a distance learning instructor. Professor Gootkin works at the Edison College site. You are stuck with Holodak, Agramonte, and Edelstein right now in the BC program; there isn't a way to pick your professors. Edison College in southwest Florida uses Broward College for the program. I rather of went there, but what could I do. Edelstein is the Dean and Holodak and Agramonte are under her.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Previous Student in Hollywood, Florida

37 months ago

Previous Student in Hollywood, Florida said: I had Jodi Gootkin as a distance learning instructor. Professor Gootkin works at the Edison College site. You are stuck with Holodak, Agramonte, and Edelstein right now in the BC program; there isn't a way to pick your professors. Edison College in southwest Florida uses Broward College for the program. I rather of went there, but what could I do. Edelstein is the Dean and Holodak and Agramonte are under her.

Professor Holodak, Agramonte, and Associate Dean Edelstein are at the North Campus BC in Coconut Creek.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

123 in Naples, Florida

37 months ago

daphne said: Wow! I kind of feel discouraged now but ill keep trying my options. Taking anatomy 10x times seems a little too much for me and desperate. I don't really have the money to spend that much money over n over on one class like that. But I'm thinking of sticking to keiser. BC has tried me one too many times for me to continue puting my time n faith in that school any longer. thanks for the suggestions though guys. But if anyone had taken the program at Keiser please let me know how it was. Thanks!

You should really consider if all of the information being posted is accurate. It is always best to speak directly with the program staff regarding your individual circumstances. Visit the website and find out the correct contact person to have these questions answered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

daphne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

35 months ago

123 in Naples, Florida said: You should really consider if all of the information being posted is accurate. It is always best to speak directly with the program staff regarding your individual circumstances. Visit the website and find out the correct contact person to have these questions answered.

Thank you! I will do that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

devine power in Buffallo

35 months ago

I think its most important to study through accredited PTA program or else its a waste.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

devine power in Buffallo

35 months ago

daphne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Thank you! I will do that

Well in this forum everyone gives their thoughts but its always advantageous to talk to program director and clear all your doubts.
For more information please check out www.ephysicaltherapyassistantschools.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jack in Lake Worth, Florida

33 months ago

I'm 16 years employed as a PTA. Prior to being accepted into the PTA program I already had a BA from the University of Maine, and a Masters from NYU. The PTA program had a three year waiting list and the fail ratio was above 50%. With that being said to anyone who thinks the PTA program is going to be a breeze find another field to study. The program is made to fail you, and thankfully so. Not only will you be tested practically daily in anatomy, neurology, pharmacology, pediatrics, kinesiology, physiology, modalities,etc. but if your lucky enough to survive and pass the program the National Boards are awaiting you, and that is another story. The bottom line is only the best get in and only the strong who study hard survive. Good luck. It's a get career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

daphne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

32 months ago

Determined PTA in Hollywood, Florida said: Daphne,

They are correct. You can't just retake the course at another school to improve your GPA. Those grades will become part of the overall GPA average. So it will help very little. You needed to drop these courses before completing them at BC to avoid getting the C's put on your transcripts to begin with. Then retake them at BC. But that's water under the bridge. You'll have to live with that GPA now. The PTA Associate Dean will not help you at all. Even if you contact her, she will distance herself from the "review" process and tell you that she "has nothing to do with the admissions process". Which is not true. I was told (by someone in the know at BC) that she can ultimately override anything and allow anyone she wants into the program by making a phone call to the person who sends her the final 36 selected, but obviously you would have to be very close to her(a friend or family) to get such a favor.

Good luck to you. If your GPA is below 3.35, you will probably get into another school before BC accepts you. For now, PTA is very competitive, many applicants at BC have BS and MS degrees, some in nursing or other medical fields. I for one have a 4.0 in my pre-reqs and a Master of Science. If I don't get in for May 2012, all hell will break loose for these people and I will definitely subpoena their records to expose transparency and find out why.

Well Ive turned in my PTA application at BC for my 3rd time now and im hoping 3rd time is a charm. i did go about retaking 2 of my classes at private college. i no longer have Cs on my record. i calculated my GPA myself and its boosted a bit (from a 3.17 to a 3.35) and im hoping that'll be good enough to enter for May 2012. I was sent a letter from the school that they'll have to manually calculate my GPA since im transfering credits so they should come up with the same GPA total that calculated. Im just crossing my fingers now...I hope you get in too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PTA in Hollywood, Florida

32 months ago

Daphne,

Good luck to you getting in. I got the same emails from BC regarding the fact that their new student records system doesn't automatically calculate your GPA for transferred credits, so I'm waiting too for them to calculate it manually. I ended with a 4.0 GPA and 34 out of 34 maximum points. So I better get in or I'm going to be really pissed. I know for a fact that although they had over 340 applicants last year, very few had 4.0 GPA and 34/34 points. That's why I worked so hard to get straight A's, cause after talking to the people involved in the selection process I got a really bad feeling about some bias. I mean, how can they have over 50% dropout rate if their vetting process is so good that everyone accepted is an A student. No way! So I didn't want to give them ANY excuse to reject me because a lot is riding on this for me.

BTW, I'm also nervous about the one instructor we'd be stuck with for 2 years. I have heard nothing but bad things about her sadistic, rude, bitter attitude. And the Program Director (Edelstein) is aware of the problem but is not willing to do anything to correct it. They are friends. Also, I'm nervous about what's coming in May via RC 3-11. I'm already noticing a drop in the number of job openings, especially here in Florida. It seems that because the reimbursement rate for PTAs may drop, a lot of facilities are stepping up hiring more PTs instead. It's all about their bottom line.

Again, Good luck to you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sucker in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

32 months ago

Holodak is a sadist; horrible person at BC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

daphne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

31 months ago

PTA in Hollywood, Florida said: Daphne,

Good luck to you getting in. I got the same emails from BC regarding the fact that their new student records system doesn't automatically calculate your GPA for transferred credits, so I'm waiting too for them to calculate it manually. I ended with a 4.0 GPA and 34 out of 34 maximum points. So I better get in or I'm going to be really pissed. I know for a fact that although they had over 340 applicants last year, very few had 4.0 GPA and 34/34 points. That's why I worked so hard to get straight A's, cause after talking to the people involved in the selection process I got a really bad feeling about some bias. I mean, how can they have over 50% dropout rate if their vetting process is so good that everyone accepted is an A student. No way! So I didn't want to give them ANY excuse to reject me because a lot is riding on this for me.

BTW, I'm also nervous about the one instructor we'd be stuck with for 2 years. I have heard nothing but bad things about her sadistic, rude, bitter attitude. And the Program Director (Edelstein) is aware of the problem but is not willing to do anything to correct it. They are friends. Also, I'm nervous about what's coming in May via RC 3-11. I'm already noticing a drop in the number of job openings, especially here in Florida. It seems that because the reimbursement rate for PTAs may drop, a lot of facilities are stepping up hiring more PTs instead. It's all about their bottom line.

Again, Good luck to you!!

Hey PTA in HOllywood,

From the sound of your grades, its a given that you will enter but one thing I must advise you is DO NOT NEGLECT THAT 20 DOLLAR APPLICATION FEE. I know someone who had a 4.0 gpa for the program but wasnt accepted because he didnt pay the application fee. Crazy right??! So yea make sure that is cleared.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

daphne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

31 months ago

to continue above, As for your comment about the selection being bias, i totally agree. Last year, like u said, had over 340 applicants. Im sure more than 32 people had 4.0 gpa's. So how is it that 32 people were selected with 32-34 points with a 3.35 gpa and higher?? it doesnt make sense to me. my friend that started the program last year said the whole class was questioning that to themselves for they all knew people who shouldve got in but didnt. that topic has turned to like "the unspeakble". they dont even talka about it anymore. its like forbidden lol. but yea, definitely fishy and theres nothing that can be done about it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

daphne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

31 months ago

to continue again, As for the RC-311 thing Im definitely nervous. although theres PTAs who are like "dont worry, we are fighting it" its still a possibility. on this site there used to be like 10-15 pages of job listings for PTA but now its fallen to the same category as OTA with 4-5 pages of job listings...i hope and pray all my effort to get into this field wasnt in vain. should i look into changing majors?...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

PTA in Enola, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

Central Penn College in summerdale PA, admits two classes each year with 30 students in each class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Miami, Florida

31 months ago

Did anyone get there GPA points yet? I did and I only received 2 points for my GPA when I should have been awarded 4 because my program GPA is a 3.75. I've been emailing and calling the health science admission dept with no response. Has anyone else had this issue?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PTA in Weston, Florida

31 months ago

Chris, that doesn't sound good. Let me know what happens. I have not received any points yet at all for my GPA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PTA in Weston, Florida

31 months ago

Chris, now I'm really nervous. I'm assuming you're referring to Broward College in South Florida? If so, I have not received any points yet and I have a 4.0 GPA, so I should receive 4 points out of 4. You need to email Susan Edelstein, Associate Dean for the PTA program. She always replies to her emails promptly, and copy her manager Gregory Ferenchak. You should get this resolved ASAP before they make their final selection of 36 students. If they've made a mistake with your GPA, they've done it to others, and that's not fair to anyone. So they need to be made aware that they have a problem in the algorithm they're using to calculate everyone's GPA manually before they start sending out letters of acceptance. This is not good!!

Good luck and let me know what happens.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Miami, Florida

31 months ago

Chris in Miami, Florida said: Did anyone get there GPA points yet? I did and I only received 2 points for my GPA when I should have been awarded 4 because my program GPA is a 3.75. I've been emailing and calling the health science admission dept with no response. Has anyone else had this issue?

I contacted the health science department and they re-evaluated my GPA and I received 4 points for my GPA and this change reflects on the Broward College website too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.