Is the Job Market Saturated?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

mm1294 in Jacksonville Beach, Florida

54 months ago

I am 41 and have been in medical device sales for the past 10+ years. I have a BS in Nutrition and an MBA with a Marketing concentration. I work specifically in Ortho/Sports Medicine and have strong relationships with many PTs in my territory. I am obviously not ready to discuss a career change at this point with my customers. There are currently (3) schools offering PTA programs in my area (1 is not yet accredited, but is enrolling their 3rd class this Summer). I am wondering if this profession is on the verge of becoming saturated with candidates like Nursing. There are ELEVEN schools in my area that offer RN programs. Finding a job with no experience in this area is tough, and pretty much the norm across the country right now. I would hate to quit my job and pay upwards of $30k for PTA school only to come out with a per diem job. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the market saturation of PTA's vs future job outlook? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

clos in Skokie, Illinois

54 months ago

Thats my fear that the area might be saturated?? But by checking this website I see that are some SNF's hiring in my area(chicago).

You can always do a check...and with nursing new grads forget that they have to pay their dues on the third shift or a facility that doesn't have the word hospital attached to it. I have 2 friends that graduated in the past year both found jobs very quickly by accepting positions working that shift. But I've also heard of new grads that can't find a job in the same area.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

jjwatt in South Carolina

52 months ago

The PTA job market has become very heavily saturated in some areas recently and with certain insurance companies no longer paying for services offered by PTA's it is going to be more difficult in the future to expect to maintain a steady job in the market.

I do home health and BCBS is already denying payment for PTA's now with other insurance companies considering this same option so be very careful if you are interested in being a PTA as the job market is going to push most PTA's back into a hospital setting and possibly LTC or SNF setting as some insurance companies stop paying for home health and OP services performed by a PTA.

Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Waco, Texas

52 months ago

I agree with Jwatt. I am noticing the terrible saturation of this job market. More and more PTA's graduate from school in my opinion who just saw this profession as a way out of doing some other menial job because they knew they could come out of school and make $25 bucks. I rarely see other PTA's beside myself busting their butts with patients to give the quality treatment. It's the lazy and inept ones I want to weed out.

personally I don't trust this career path anymore and am looking to transition into another career after 18 years.

Reply - Report abuse

kay100 in ny, New York

52 months ago

mm1294 in Jacksonville Beach, Florida said: I am 41 and have been in medical device sales for the past 10+ years. I have a BS in Nutrition and an MBA with a Marketing concentration. I work specifically in Ortho/Sports Medicine and have strong relationships with many PTs in my territory. I am obviously not ready to discuss a career change at this point with my customers. There are currently (3) schools offering PTA programs in my area (1 is not yet accredited, but is enrolling their 3rd class this Summer). I am wondering if this profession is on the verge of becoming saturated with candidates like Nursing. There are ELEVEN schools in my area that offer RN programs. Finding a job with no experience in this area is tough, and pretty much the norm across the country right now. I would hate to quit my job and pay upwards of $30k for PTA school only to come out with a per diem job. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the market saturation of PTA's vs future job outlook? Thanks!

www.facebook.com/PtAsPhysicalTherapyAssistants?fref=ts

Post question. The market is no where near as saturated as the RN market is.

Reply - Report abuse

kay100 in ny, New York

52 months ago

jjwatt in South Carolina said: The PTA job market has become very heavily saturated in some areas recently and with certain insurance companies no longer paying for services offered by PTA's it is going to be more difficult in the future to expect to maintain a steady job in the market.

I do home health and BCBS is already denying payment for PTA's now with other insurance companies considering this same option so be very careful if you are interested in being a PTA as the job market is going to push most PTA's back into a hospital setting and possibly LTC or SNF setting as some insurance companies stop paying for home health and OP services performed by a PTA.

They may shorten the coverage. But medicare and most private insurers still cover these services.

Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Carlsbad, California

42 months ago

The true outlook for PTA's is very good. See this link: www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapist-assistants-and-aides.htm

I have worked with many Physical Therapist Assistants and they are valuable members of the treatment team. Salaries and benefits remain excellent.

I am employed as a PT and feel that a career as a PTA is rewarding. You will get to truly make a difference in patients lives.

Reply - Report abuse

homosassagirl in Homosassa, Florida

42 months ago

After passing my state boards less than 2 months ago, I now have a full time job. I started working for this company a month ago and now I am full time. Actually I had 3 full time offers in a SNF in less than 2 weeks. The job I accepted is an hour away but the staff is friendly and the building is beautiful. For those out there looking, try taking a PRN position so you can see if you like the company and for them to see if you are a good fit for them.

Reply - Report abuse

C.J. in Newark, Delaware

42 months ago

Thats awesome homosassa girl. Its encouraging to hear good news in the midst of all this gloomy talk. Hope you enjoy being a full time PTA.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.