Is working PRN as a new grad PTA an okay idea?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

KingV911 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

25 months ago

Hi all,

I'm a new PTA grad and have been having a hard time finding any permanent PT or FT positions in my area. However, there are a number of PRN opportunities at various SNF and swing bed places. I've been hired for one PRN position already but haven't went through orientation yet, so I haven't been called for a shift at this point. I'm a little concerned I may not be prepared as a new grad to just come in and get a full caseload of patients on day one at a totally new facility. I realize new employees kind of have to go through this a little bit, but as PRN won't they just expect me to jump in 100% and get it done? I think I'll do fine, but I'd like to hear what people who have a lot of experience think. I'm just nervous I'll get called in some weekend and be at this place by myself with some complex patient and feel stuck. I only had one internship at a SNF and coincidentally all the patients coming into PT at that time were pretty straightforward. When I shadowed at my new job the other day to "get a feel" for the place there were lots of advanced cases and I was kind of overwhelmed. Just little things, like I've never had to use a Hoyer lift before, or treat a severe stroke patient with dementia. Am I ready? I tend to get myself worked up, as you can see. Any advice is helpful. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

SPTA no more in South, Texas

25 months ago

KingV911 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin said: Hi all,
Thanks.

Take a deep breath, relax, calm the mind, be confident in your abilities, and never, NEVER, let them (staff or patients) see you sweat.You are a professional. Exude confidence in your abilities and when in doubt, ASK!! It's the only way to learn. Everyone goes through it and there is no other way to learn.
I, like others I suppose, was under the illusion (or delusion)that once licensed and in the real world there would be this incredible "mentoring" process taking place. I'm sure for some that has been a reality, God bless them, mine has been a get it done, meet productivity, PT is 50miles away if needed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RAFFMAN in Red Deer, Alberta

25 months ago

Accepting casual work is a good opportunity to get your foot in the door. I do not think a PT in charge with leave you working by yourself knowing your new and the facility have complex cases. They will always ask you if you will be comfortable working by yourself. But every profession who are entitled to have license are expected know something in their chosen field. You need to bring out your learned skills into work now. Good luck.

Raffman, BSN, RN, BSPT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.