My experience, current PTA student, Please ask any questions about it

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

PTA student in Chesterfield, Missouri

19 months ago

Before starting PTA school I have been a Licensed Massage Therapist for 4 years. I went to Western States Chiropractic College and received a rigorous education, I passed the national exam three months before graduating school. I have attended several colleges and have no bachelor degree and my GPA average is 3.0. My GPA average for anatomy and physiology, kinesiology, medical terminology, and pathology is 3.25.
I applied to a community college program here in MO last year and was told it was a 3 year wait. I got in starting the fall of the same year I applied (I waited 6 months) and was easily accepted with my credentials listed above. So when I read on this forum about people with bachelor degrees with 3.5 GPA's being wait listed or not getting into programs makes me wonder what kind of "soft" skills these people possess. Soft skills are mainly communication skills. You can be brain smart, but if your not people smart healthcare isn't going to work for you. I think that's why I have never had a problem being accepted to any school I've ever applied to for any program. I left the program on the first day of class because the program director was very condescending about the role of PTA (she was a PT). So I didn't need that negative transference being handed to me for two years.
I applied to a private school and took the HESI exam, filled out letters of recommendation, etc. I was accepted right away from speaking to the program director the same day and I hadn't even sent my transcripts! Lesson for those reading, SOFT SKILLS MATTER! It's all about communication and how people view you and communicating your experience and dedication to excellence in patient care.
This program took all general education courses as transfer and I'm completing the PTA program in 1 year! That's right, 1 year! 18 credit hours a term is inevitable. School is what you make of it, you can CHOOSE to know a lot or choose to know only what is required.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jrmavc in you'll never know, California

16 months ago

So basically, what you're saying is that you went from a program at a Jr. College that could've cost between 4-8K, after being accepted, and switched over to a private for-profit college that will set you back anywhere from 30-50K?

I would take the instructor's sh*@!y attitude, if it were true, and have sucked it up. You're gonna deal with different personalities all the time, even as a pta.

I think your soft skills failed you this time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

MsMisha in Canton, Michigan

16 months ago

Sorry, but something doesn't seem right here. What PTA program is only 1 year?? Most are at least 3 core semesters of PTA coursework and 1 full semester of clinicals. No school is gonna let you bypass that, I don't care how well your "soft skills" are. Plus, you decided to leave a program at CC because you felt the instructor talked down to you?? So you went and enrolled in a more expensive school because they may not talk down to you?? Fail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

MsMisha in Canton, Michigan said: Sorry, but something doesn't seem right here. What PTA program is only 1 year?? Most are at least 3 core semesters of PTA coursework and 1 full semester of clinicals. No school is gonna let you bypass that, I don't care how well your "soft skills" are. Plus, you decided to leave a program at CC because you felt the instructor talked down to you?? So you went and enrolled in a more expensive school because they may not talk down to you?? Fail.

Exactly what I said. Makes no sense at all. MsMisha are you in pta school now? How is the pta field/job outlook for Michiganders?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

jrmavc in you'll never know, California said: Exactly what I said. Makes no sense at all. MsMisha are you in pta school now? How is the pta field/job outlook for Michiganders?

Yes, I'm almost done with my 1st year. I'm calling bs on this person.

The pta field is looking very good here in Michigan! Plenty of jobs, especially in snf's and acute care.

16 months ago

MsMisha in Canton, Michigan said: Yes, I'm almost done with my 1st year. I'm calling bs on this person.

The pta field is looking very good here in Michigan! Plenty of jobs, especially in snf's and acute care.

Great! Do you work during school? If I get into the school I want I will be able to work the 1st semester. Not sure about the second. I'm currently a Respiratory Therapist per-diem, so I can work whenever I want or don't want, just given that there's work. I can work Fri and Sat nights.

16 months ago

Yup, I still work. I work as a tech in a snf and they work around my school schedule. Once school resumes in the Fall, we will have 1 week clinicals in Sept, Oct and Nov...followed by fulltime clinicals Jan-April. Won't be able to work then.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.