PTA Programs in California

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 63)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

PTA wannabe in Bakersfield, California

50 months ago

Hi. I'm looking into the programs in California and wondering what are your ratings/reviews of the programs from San Diego Mesa, Loma Linda, Ohlone College, Sacramento City College, and Cerritos College. These are the only current accredited programs in California (which I live).

Were the professors helpful/good?

Whats the passing rate for the license exam?

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jared in Glendale, California

50 months ago

Hey wanabe! I'm in the same boat you're in. First of all we should go to schools that are accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), of which there are five and you've listed them. I applied to Cerritos College in April and ended up 100 on the waitlist. 275 applied and 27 were accepted. I had a 3.5 GPA when I applied also!! I think I was on the waitlist cause I had two pre-reqs in progress. I also have a B.A. from UCLA in psych... I'm tempted to look at career colleges like Concorde College.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim L in El Dorado Hills, California

50 months ago

I just started at Sac City College. It's great so far. The pass rate is about 93% to 95% for the NPTAE. This year I heard about 95 people applied, 30 are accepted each year, and that is a little crowded but we are all excited to be there and getting to know each other.

I wouldn't apply somewhere that is not accredited, too many variables.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PTA wannabe in Bakersfield, California

50 months ago

Oh nice. Good for you Kim. :) Kinda jealous. lol.

Yeah I don't think the non accredited programs are such a good idea either.

Was SCC the only program you applied to? Did you get in first try?

Kim L in El Dorado Hills, California

50 months ago

It was the only program I applied to as I live relatively close to the school. A little bit of a commute. It was my second try but there were other classes to take. I do feel lucky.

Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl in Buena Park, California

50 months ago

Jared, you said you're on the waiting list. Does it mean you have a better chance to get in next application cycle?

Patrice in Los Angeles, California

42 months ago

@ Cheryl, no it does not mean you have a better chance at getting in on the next application cycle. When I called they said that you would have to re-submit you aplication. The waitlist is only if someone quits.

@ Jared ,To make your chances better at getting in. The lady told me to complete extra science courses, GE courses, or gain paid employment experience as a PT aid. Cerritos goes by a point system so your GPA is not even a factor when applying. All their looking for is a passing grade. You get 3 pts for each science course you complete,1 pt for any GE course, and 7pts for previous pt aid experience. At the end of the day, its all based on who has the most points not on who has the highest GPA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

marirocks in Long Beach, California

33 months ago

Patrice are you in at Cerritos? How many points should an applicant aim for?

Emzy in Cerritos, California

31 months ago

I'll be applying in 2013. I wonder if my stats will be ok... By the time I'll be applying, I'll have taken Anatomy, Physio, 3 Kinesiology classes, Intro to PT, Exercise Physiology, and Chem 101. I'll have worked over 1.5 years at a clinic as a PT Aide and I'll have my B.A. in Studio Arts (3.7 GPA) by Spring 2013. In total, I've got about ~35-40 points? I'm worried though, because I've got people who are Kinesiology majors with way more classes than me. Kinda sucks that work experience is worth so little points.

Also I called the PTA director at Cerritos College, but she wouldn't answer my questions on the amount of points we should be shooting for. All she told me was that over the last run had 400 applicants... 400!

I hope that I'll make it. I live in the damn city, it'd suck majorly if I had to go somewhere else.

DayWalker562 in Los Angeles, California

28 months ago

Looking at the Application online today and it looks like your GPA does matter. You get 3 points for an A, B=2 and C=1 point. They will notify us this month who gets accepted or not, I think I have around 40 points. anybody else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

damn I didn't get in.. you must need a masters degree to have enough points SOB guess I'll try concorde

27 months ago

didnt' get into cerritos im saying

MsMisha in Canton, Michigan

27 months ago

Sorry, DayWalker. That sucks! My school has a waiting list and that's it. No lottery, no points system. You apply, complete all prereqs and wait until you are within the starting 30. That only seems fair.

wakkawakka in Glendora, California

22 months ago

I'm not sure if anyone still checks this thread, but worth a try anyways. I graduated this past spring majoring in Kinesiology at CSUN. I'm interested in getting into a PTA school but I have several questions that needs to be clarified. Most science classes I've taken, my grades weren't too pretty. I got a C- in my Physiology and haven't taken the lab...will that not be counted at all? As for medical terminology, is that only offered in Cerritos? As for the application, referring to GE classes...what would be considered a Fine Arts or Humanities class? I've taken so many GE classes, I don't think I've taken either subject...Any help would be great, haven't had the best of luck lately...

Mikel23348 in Lakewood, California

21 months ago

Wakkawakka,
I was going to Cerritos college, and applied to the PTA program last time they had enrollment and did not get it. From what I hear the list is very long and you'd basically need at least 50 points to get into the program. Check out their admission application. I chose Concorde Career College instead, it was just accredited and I got into the program this past December. They'll only transfer classes from your school if you have an A or B grade and have taken it in the last 5 years. Otherwise you're going to have to retake the classes. It doesnt prolong the program though, regardless it will still be 20 months. I'm in the 1st term right now and we're taking A&P, English, Psych and Speech. There is no Med term required but it would help. I took med term at Cerritos. The cost of the programs runs about $41K, but worth it if you're in a hurry to finish because it's iffy if you'd get into the program at Cerritos. I have 8 classsmates that also tried to get in at Cerritos and didn't and some have kines degrees as well. The Concorde in Hollywood is also accredited by CAPTE. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

MsMisha in Canton, Michigan

21 months ago

Mikel23348 in Lakewood, California said: Wakkawakka,
I was going to Cerritos college, and applied to the PTA program last time they had enrollment and did not get it. From what I hear the list is very long and you'd basically need at least 50 points to get into the program. Check out their admission application. I chose Concorde Career College instead, it was just accredited and I got into the program this past December. They'll only transfer classes from your school if you have an A or B grade and have taken it in the last 5 years. Otherwise you're going to have to retake the classes. It doesnt prolong the program though, regardless it will still be 20 months. I'm in the 1st term right now and we're taking A&P, English, Psych and Speech. There is no Med term required but it would help. I took med term at Cerritos. The cost of the programs runs about $41K, but worth it if you're in a phurry to finish because it's iffy if you'd get into the program at Cerritos. I have 8 classsmates that also tried to get in at Cerritos and didn't and some have kines degrees as well. The Concorde in Hollywood is also accredited by CAPTE. Hope this helps.

41k for PTA school???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

MsMisha in Canton, Michigan said: 41k for PTA school???

Yep. It's a private school. To me, and everyone in my class we figure it's worth not waiting. It's too hard and long to get into any programs at the community colleges. Don't get me wrong you won't easily get into the program at Concorde either but I figure the pool of students trying to get in is way less than at a CC. Here in SoCal the pay for a PTA is pretty good money with someone working home health starting at around $38-$41/hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

dee in Garden Grove, California

21 months ago

mikel,

whis concorde are you attending? the one is garden grove, or hollywood?

21 months ago

dee in Garden Grove, California said: mikel,

whis concorde are you attending? the one is garden grove, or hollywood?

Garden Grove

21 months ago

Mikel23348 in Lakewood, California said: Garden Grove

Mike,

How was the interview process at concorde? I am thinking about going to take a look at the pta program there. The community colleges in my are have a long wait list, and the other college that has the program is in san diego.

How do you like the program so far? How long have you been in the program? How is the workload as far as homework is concerned?

Thanks

21 months ago

Interview process was done after I was enrolled. They take in 60 enrollees and out of the 60 they choose only 30 people for the program. The whole thing consists of taking an assessment test, then if you pass that, a HOBET test. If you do fairly well you're probably going to be one of the 60 enrolled. The interviewer which is the department head basically wants to know why you want to enroll, if you have any experience working as an aid and any college classes youve taken. So far I like the program, just disappointed I had to take A & P, Psych, Eng and Speech all over again. Ive taken these classes in college already. Work load isn't too bad so far. Compared to college these gen eds are cake. I don't really study that much, but everyones different. I just cant wait to start the PTA term of the program.

21 months ago

that kinda sucks, because i have taken A&P, psych, eng, and speech as well in thge past 2 years. they didn't let you transfer your credits? also did you have prior experience as an aid? what exactly is a hobet test? i have an appointment to go see the campus next wednesday. any advice you can give me? i'm a little nervous about the interviews.

21 months ago

If you took the classes within the last 5 years and got at least an A or B then they'll transfer the classes to Concorde. I took these classes more than 5 years so they didn't transfer. The Hobet isn't too bad, they test you on spelling, grammar, punctuation, math and some science. There are websites they'll give you so you can practice. Who's your appt with? My adviser was Tricia. She's a nice lady, if you're not meeting with her then anyone else is fine too. Interviews are way down the line. You wouldn't be interviewed until about 6 weeks before the program starts, and I think the next one would be starting December of 2013. So you're way early. What times your campus tour next week? I have psych that day maybe we can meet up if I'm on break and you can talk to some of the other people in my class. We usually hang out out front in front of the school.

21 months ago

dee in Garden Grove, California said: that kinda sucks, because i have taken A&P, psych, eng, and speech as well in thge past 2 years. they didn't let you transfer your credits? also did you have prior experience as an aid? what exactly is a hobet test? i have an appointment to go see the campus next wednesday. any advice you can give me? i'm a little nervous about the interviews.

Also forgot I had some experience as an aid, but I was only able to observe since I didn't have any schooling yet. Even observation is ok for the school. There are lots of out patient clinics that'll let you come in an observe. You just call and ask and tell them you're a student about to enroll in a PTA program and you want a little observation experience and they'll most of the time be happy to let you come in. I went in as much as I could with my schedule permitting.

21 months ago

Mikel23348 in Lakewood, California said: If you took the classes within the last 5 years and got at least an A or B then they'll transfer the classes to Concorde. I took these classes more than 5 years so they didn't transfer. The Hobet isn't too bad, they test you on spelling, grammar, punctuation, math and some science. There are websites they'll give you so you can practice. Who's your appt with? My adviser was Tricia. She's a nice lady, if you're not meeting with her then anyone else is fine too. Interviews are way down the line. You wouldn't be interviewed until about 6 weeks before the program starts, and I think the next one would be starting December of 2013. So you're way early. What times your campus tour next week? I have psych that day maybe we can meet up if I'm on break and you can talk to some of the other people in my class. We usually hang out out front in front of the school.

Mike,

My appointment is on tuesday at 3:30. I am meeting with Angela walters. I'm not sure what your schedule is, so i'm not sure if I will be able to see you. I really wanted to say thank you for taking the time to reply. I really do appreciate the info. I don't have aid experience, but I was a certified medical assistant and certified x-ray technician a few years ago.

21 months ago

Not a problem at all, glad to help a fellow student with info. Hope your tour was good today, I'm sure they gave you lots of info. I was talking to a faculty member this morning and he said the next class may be starting in October, but you probably already knew that if Angela told you today. Anyway good luck in whatever you choose to do, if you end up at Concorde let me know so I can say hi.

21 months ago

Mike,

I took the tour and passed the first entrance exam. Hopefully I will do ok on the hobet test too. The thing that scares me is math, I am horrible at it. You have any more advice for me?

21 months ago

dee in Garden Grove, California said: Mike,

I took the tour and passed the first entrance exam. Hopefully I will do ok on the hobet test too. The thing that scares me is math, I am horrible at it. You have any more advice for me?

I'm sure they gave you some sheets for some websites you can visit to practice for the test. If they didn't you can just google practice hobet test and you'll find a bunch online. I'm not sure if all hobet tests are the same, but with mine as far as the math portion was concerned it had a lot of fraction questions. I would say just know how to multiply, divide, add and subtract your fractions at the very least. There are also word problems you'd come across in Algebra. What was the most advanced math class you took in college? I went as high as business calculus, and honestly I am pretty bad at advanced math. Anything higher than calculus I'm pretty much an idiot. But dont worry too much about the math, it's just an entrance exam so they wont throw that many hard questions at you. Just know the basics and you'll be fine. Also you don't have aid experience. I recommend you get some because it'll make you look real good at the interview if you're chosen to do one. If you need help with any aid volunteer work let me know. I have a good friend that can probably get you into his rehab facility, I think they have a few, one's in Irvine and the other is Gardena and Santa Fe Springs. Hope this helps. Lmk if you need anything else.

21 months ago

Yea she pretty much told me that I can find practice exams online. I didn't get too far in math while in college, and to be honest fractions are hard for me. I guess i need to look up how to add/subtract fractions. I've always been bad at math, the numbers just intimidate me.
I wish there was a way to send a private message, because I don;t want to leave my email on a public forum, but THANK YOU for helping me out, i really appreciate it.

21 months ago

Shoot me an email, this is my spam email anyway so it's no big deal. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

lbsunfitness@gmail.com

21 months ago

Thanks, email sent.

Ishida in Los Angeles, California

20 months ago

Hey guys I'm on the same boat! if you guys can rate the best PTA school what would it be?

TJay in San Leandro, California

20 months ago

What do you guys think of Carringon College as a PTA school, particularly the one in Pleasant Hill? The tuition cost is 45k and its about 20 months...private school. I really despise the lottery system, although i haven't been entered in one i haven't finished all the GE's yet. But with Carrington you don't need them...Is it worth it to take the risk of this type of school than to spin your wheels at a CC?

20 months ago

TJay in San Leandro, California said: What do you guys think of Carringon College as a PTA school, particularly the one in Pleasant Hill? The tuition cost is 45k and its about 20 months...private school. I really despise the lottery system, although i haven't been entered in one i haven't finished all the GE's yet. But with Carrington you don't need them...Is it worth it to take the risk of this type of school than to spin your wheels at a CC?

Forget the lottery system at the CC. It'll take forever if you're in a rush. If you do decide on Carrington just make sure you go to the CAPTE site and verify they are accredited or are in the process of being accredited. If they aren't I'd be cautious about attending there. Just make sure.

20 months ago

So I've already been told before by several different program directors that these "lottery's" are not in fact blind...they are actually point based similar to GPA but they assign a value to specific classes. Example...science grades would hold a much higher point value than say english , but that's not to say that it's entirely based on academics. The points just get you in the front door. Carrington's program director also told me that they are reforming their structure from the usual first-come-first-serve to this point based lottery.

What are some of your experiences with these lotteries...if you did get in why?if not why do you think you didn't get in?

20 months ago

Well of course. However considering that PTA is only a AS with no advancement in degree or certificate that doesn't really apply. As far as jobs go they have one of the most availability in terms of positions especially in Ca I know because I'm an aide now in physical therapy and constantly look and explore the field. So out boils down to time spent vs. Program quality. Which is why I'm so much in the air about it.

20 months ago

Funny, I've actually never even seen any of their commercials before. So I don't think it'll be a problem getting a job seeing as I've been working in the field for a whole before hand outs not as complex as RN song as there is only one level even though there are several types of therapy.

20 months ago

I'd like to ask some questions of somebody who has attended or graduated from Ohlone colleges PTA program...

20 months ago

hey mike,

did you by anychance get my email? anyways i passed the first exam & the hobet.

funtwo123 in Torrance, California

20 months ago

Hello, I passed the first exam and the hobet test last week. How does the admission process go? I am a kinesiology student at csulb. I have taken and received B and higher on Math, English, Speech, and English. I am planning to volunteer at a PT clinic in westwood. Am I a good candidate? I am very nervous because I really need to get into this program
-_-;;

20 months ago

Hey Dee yeah I replied to your email a while back. Awesome about your tests! So when do you find out if you're enrolled?

20 months ago

Funtwo, yeah dude you're good to go. I bet you'd get admitted to Concorde. The only thing you should if you haven't taken yet is A & P, if it's possible, otherwise I'm pretty sure you're a prime candidate to get in.

20 months ago

REALLY? wow that takes off some weight on my shoulders. I would take A & P but no time :(
Do they ask you for your school transcript? Do they look at your GPA? btw, we should hear if we got into the school by August.

20 months ago

Mikel23348 in Lakewood, California said: Funtwo, yeah dude you're good to go. I bet you'd get admitted to Concorde. The only thing you should if you haven't taken yet is A & P, if it's possible, otherwise I'm pretty sure you're a prime candidate to get in.

also how did the financial aid process go? do u get any aid? how much you pull out in loan? and do u pay back doing a repayment plan? I'm so sorry asking you too many questions.

20 months ago

They didn't ask me for my transcripts, but I'm pretty sure they got them through the school. It's on you though to get your transcripts for the courses you want credit for. They won't find and apply the credit for you unless you do it, so make sure that's one of your top priorities. Yea I had to pull out a loan through Sallie Mae, got my parents to co-sign since my credit sucks...lol. It just depends on your financial situation. Of course if pull out a loan you'll have to repay it but that won't be until you're done with school and even after that you have a 6 month grace period. Any way feel free to ask any other questions. Hope you get in, maybe I'll see you around campus.

20 months ago

Mikel23348 in Lakewood, California said: They didn't ask me for my transcripts, but I'm pretty sure they got them through the school. It's on you though to get your transcripts for the courses you want credit for. They won't find and apply the credit for you unless you do it, so make sure that's one of your top priorities. Yea I had to pull out a loan through Sallie Mae, got my parents to co-sign since my credit sucks...lol. It just depends on your financial situation. Of course if pull out a loan you'll have to repay it but that won't be until you're done with school and even after that you have a 6 month grace period. Any way feel free to ask any other questions. Hope you get in, maybe I'll see you around campus.

did u get any financial aid? such as grants? did your loan cover everything? are you working while going to school?

20 months ago

haha im pretty sure most students have terrible credit score. Anything I need to know about the school or program btw?

20 months ago

I got covered for about 10K through FAFSA, I took loans out for the remaining balance. I'm not working while I'm going to school. Lucky enough to have a girlfriend that's taking care of everything while I'm in school. Only thing is I have to pay with marriage when I'm done...so you know, I'm screwed...lol. Let's see, regardless of you getting credit for the classes you're going to try and get credit for, the program is 20 months. You're in college now, so these gen ed classes will be cake for you especially if you're going to only have to take Psych and A&P. I unfortunately have to take all 4 gen eds again. So my workload is heavier. But if you've been in college this is no problem. I'm finishing my first term next week and Aced every class, term 2 is the week after and then we start the actual PTA part in May.

20 months ago

haha marriage is expensive. Seems like were on the same boat :D

Wow pta courses in the 2nd term. Sound so much fun!

Oh yeah, how long did the interviews take?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

No PTA starts 3rd term, 2nd term consists of more A&P, Developmental Psych, College Algebra, and Advanced English, mainly a bunch of research papers. They told me it took about 15 minutes, but it seemed to go by a lot faster. Also make sure you get you volunteer work in before the interview. Dr. Reed likes it if you have that experience, even if you're just observing. They'll ask about your grades in high school and college, just be honest in case they do check...lol. Show them that you have a passion for this field, and that you just won't take it and drop out if it becomes hard. They want students who are serious about this field and will do whatever it takes to succeed. Just be confident in your abilities and what you've done already.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.