PTA in States versus PT in Canada

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

RAFFMAN in Red Deer, Alberta

25 months ago

Based from the previous post sof other members I read:

1.PTAs working in the States makes more money than PTs in Canada, and

2. PTAs in the States almost makes as much as the RN in the the States.

How's that even possible?

Male Nurse, BSPT, BSN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PTAgirl in Concord, California

25 months ago

From what I have seen, RNs make more than PTAs here. I would think cost of living is the biggest factor as it varies throughout the US as well. Not sure what rate of pay is in Canada, so cannot compare.

The PTA program is very intensive 2 year program with a degree, and national and state licensing. There are continuing education requirements to keep the license up to date as well. All schools are accredited, which is different than I understand in Canada.

Differences in the health care system may also be a factor. Things will be changing here as the health care system goes through changes. I hope all for the good as the current system is broken....coming from a consumer point of view. From a therapist point of view, it's just confusing to figure out what can be billed and not.

hopefully others will have a point of view about this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

PTAgirl in Concord, California said: From what I have seen, RNs make more than PTAs here. I would think cost of living is the biggest factor as it varies throughout the US as well. Not sure what rate of pay is in Canada, so cannot compare.

The PTA program is very intensive 2 year program with a degree, and national and state licensing. There are continuing education requirements to keep the license up to date as well. All schools are accredited, which is different than I understand in Canada.

Differences in the health care system may also be a factor. Things will be changing here as the health care system goes through changes. I hope all for the good as the current system is broken....coming from a consumer point of view. From a therapist point of view, it's just confusing to figure out what can be billed and not.

hopefully others will have a point of view about this.

I see .... the reason I asked this because a guy said in the forum "why take RN when I can make almost as an RN and make more than them" then I am seeing rate pays of $37 - $45 as a PTA. I mean thats the rate pay of a PT in Canada. With regards to RN rate the same but it goes up because of night or evening differentials or weekend differentials. I make more as an RN than being a PT. I am also surprised to see that PTA is an associate degree. PTA in Canada is a diploma. I have my PT degree in another country then went to credentialing and now an RN in Canada.

25 months ago

RAFFMAN in Red Deer, Alberta said: I see .... the reason I asked this because a guy said in the forum "why take RN when I can make almost as an RN and make more than them" then I am seeing rate pays of $37 - $45 as a PTA. I mean thats the rate pay of a PT in Canada. With regards to RN rate the same but it goes up because of night or evening differentials or weekend differentials. I make more as an RN than being a PT. I am also surprised to see that PTA is an associate degree. PTA in Canada is a diploma. I have my PT degree in another country then went to credentialing and now an RN in Canada.

Sorry I meant "why take RN when as a PTA I can make as an RN ......

PTAgirl in Concord, California

25 months ago

It'a interesting to see the differences between the countries. I do think nurses have more potential due to the night time need and scheduling. PT / PTA only work when patients can do therapy.

As I mentioned, rates for PT/PTA vary around the country but those are some average numbers that I have heard. I did not go into PTA for the money, so I'm happy with where I'm at.

25 months ago

Yes, its very interesting to see the difference. In Canada, PT is a masters program now. PTA is a diploma program.

Also, most of the PTAs here have a Kinesiology, Physical Fitness, Athletic Therapy degrees. I think the PTA diploma program is starting to decline now as more and more clinics and hospitals are accepting applicants with the mentioned degrees to work as a PTA.

Raffman, BSPT, BSN

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.