PTA courses in Denver - Arapahoe Community College or PIMA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 53)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

mimmik in Boulder, Colorado

69 months ago

Hi, I'm a CMT looking at PTA programs in the Denver area and found only two. I have info off their websites and have spoken briefly to each, but can't find any student opinions - is there anyone out there with experience or knowledge of either/both of these programs? I'm leaning towards ACC but I'd love to hear pros and cons of both.

What I know so far:
ACC is public and ~$10,000 a year+ fess, books, etc
accredited since the 90s
it's 5 semesters over 2yrs
you get an Assoc of Applied Sciences

PIMA is private and a whopping $24,000 for everything included
has been accredited since '06
it's 20 months with only time off for xmas/new year's and naitonal holidays
you get an Assoc of Occupational Sciences

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Anybody? Beuller? :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DavidT in Berwyn, Illinois

69 months ago

do you need a license in Colorado yet??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

mu understanding is generally you don't need one, but i think there's a new stipulation where you need one now to work with medicare patients - maybe someone who's a PTA could clarify that.

btw, i got some feedback from a clinic that hosts PTA students from both colleges during their externships that graduates from ACC are better prepared than from PIMA in case anyone out there wants to chime in with their 2 cents...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SPTA in Golden, Colorado

68 months ago

OK, I'll bite. I was accepted into PIMA's program (after taking a tour, doing some interviews and taking some tests), then, after weighing the costs, decided to apply to ACC and ended up being accepted and going there. I like both programs. I like how I was treated at PIMA and feel fortunate to be in ACC's program. One thing that's tough at ACC, something that's kind of hanging over your head the whole time, is that you cannot get less than 75 percent on an exam; if you do, you get one chance to retake it. Get worse than a 75 on the retake, and you are out of the program. (Yes, even if you are getting A's in every other class; yes, even if you'd still have a B average in that class after the exam is factored in). I understand the philosophy, and even agree with it: Who would want to be treated by someone who missed a quarter of the questions on an exam? But it does create an additional stress in your life that I don't think you would have at PIMA. (I'm not positive they don't have a similar policy). ... Something I really like about ACC is volunteer time, PTA Club time and CEUs are REQUIRED. We are forced to do more than just show up for class, which will make us more well-rounded when it comes time to get a job. ... Good luck with whichever program you choose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Hey thanks so much for your comments, that helps a lot, though I've already decided to go for ACC. The 75% thing is an added pressure, but I'm up for the challenge!

Can you say a bit more about what the volunteer time, PTA club and CEUs are all about?

One thing I'm not looking forward to (assuming I'll be accepted) is that I'll be commuting from Louisville/Boulder - but I see you're in Golden, how is the drive from there?

SPTA in Denver, Colorado

68 months ago

There's a points system associated with the volunteer time, PTA Club, CEUs, etc. If you want specifics, I'd suggest talking to Paula. It's all totally manageable, though, and quite rewarding. The required volunteer time comes to 30 hours over 2.5 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

ok, thanks - and good luck with exams if you haven't finished them yet :)

Jason in Colorado Springs, Colorado

67 months ago

Any info on Pueblo's program?

sdansby in Colorado Springs, Colorado

67 months ago

Did anyone have trouble finding a PT to volunteer with before applying? No one seems to be returning my calls for getting my recommended 25 hours of volunteer time before I apply. Any ideas what I should say or recommendations of a PT that is willing to work with me? I am in Colorado Springs but am willing to travel either to Denver or Pueblo.
Thanks!

67 months ago

i'm in the same boat and about 1 person in 10 is calling me back, though i do have some PTA observation hours now. have you tried the local hospitals to see if they have inpatient/outpatient PTs and PTAs? that's been the most successful so far for me.

i'm starting to hesitate about the course a bit because i'm not seeing a huge job market in this area and from what i've seen and heard so far the pay here in CO is fairly low compared to places like TX, the east coast, etc. but maybe some existing PTAs in CO can shed some light on this?

sdansby - i'm going to try and set up a time to go to ACC in the next week or so to talk to the PTA program director and if possible to talk to some students and hopefully even sit in on some classes (not sure if that's possible tho). shoot me an email if you like and we can swap ideas - mimmik_tt at yahoo dot ca (not dot com) :)

sdansby in Colorado Springs, Colorado

67 months ago

mimmik in Boulder, Colorado said: i'm in the same boat and about 1 person in 10 is calling me back, though i do have some PTA observation hours now. have you tried the local hospitals to see if they have inpatient/outpatient PTs and PTAs? that's been the most successful so far for me.

i'm starting to hesitate about the course a bit because i'm not seeing a huge job market in this area and from what i've seen and heard so far the pay here in CO is fairly low compared to places like TX, the east coast, etc. but maybe some existing PTAs in CO can shed some light on this?

sdansby - i'm going to try and set up a time to go to ACC in the next week or so to talk to the PTA program director and if possible to talk to some students and hopefully even sit in on some classes (not sure if that's possible tho). shoot me an email if you like and we can swap ideas - mimmik_tt at yahoo dot ca (not dot com) :)

Sent you an email. Let me know if you didnt get it.

PIMA fan in Denver, Colorado

66 months ago

I'd pick PIMA. Talk to any student in the program at PIMA, and talk to any at ACC. I haven't heard from many at ACC who are happy with the program (some sound miserable) and the people I know at PIMA really like it. Also, if Pueblo is an option, I've heard it's really hard to get into to, but they treat you great once you're in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

almost done in Littleton, Colorado

66 months ago

Hi! I went to ACC for PTA for a year and absolutely hated it! The teachers there were extremely rude and inconsiderate and had no compassion for people at all! There was one there with initials JB who was just the worst and the whole student body can't stand her! I transfered to Morgan CC to finish up my education and what a difference! The teachers care about how much you understand and learn and make sure you get a positive experience. I know it might be a drive for some, but totally worth it, since you only have to go a couple of times per week! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

PIMA fan in Denver, Colorado

66 months ago

Almost done. Thanks for responding. I didn't mean to leave Morgan CC out of the discussion. I don't know anyone who goes there. Glad to hear things worked out for you. I bet it feels so much better to have instructors who believe in you and are encouraging. Are the programs structured similarly? Did you have to start over at Morgan or could you transfer your credits? Any other differences besides what you mentioned?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lyndsey in Denver, Colorado

66 months ago

I completley agree, the Instructors at ACC are very rude as well as the advisors. I feel that if you are going invest your valuable time and money going to Arapahoe Community College for physical therapy assistant that the instructors as well as the advisors could be at least curteous and helpful which unfortunatley they are not. I live in Denver and am seriously thinking about driving at attending Pueblo Community College.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deviny Herrera in Broomfield, Colorado

65 months ago

I need advice; Im looking of going to the Community College of Denver for Radiologic Technology for my associates but Ive heard that that field has been flooded for the last few years. Im also thinking about going to PIMA for Respiratory Therapy and get an associate of occupational studies degree. Im wondering which would give me a better chance of getting a job but Im concerned that the Occupational degree will look bad but Im honestly NOT sure so if anyone Could help me get the facts i truly need Because i plan on starting in the fall, it would be truly appriciated! thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lyndsey in Aurora, Colorado

65 months ago

Deviny, I was also thinking about about going to the Community College of Denver for Radiologic Technology but I did a lot of research on this field and yes the field is flooded but there have been several job postings for radiology techs in the Denver area. I think the Community College of Denver is a good school and is a bargin for the education that you are getting. However, in my opinion I would seriously think about enrolling at PIMA. My friend went to PIMA in Denver as a medical assistant and she said it was the worst mistake ever going to that school. It it almost twice as expensive as going to a community college and she also said that it was harder for her to find a job because the Doctor's offices that she was applying for did not think highly of PIMA graduates (maybe bad experiences with past graduates interning, I am not sure). She ended up moving to Wyoming to find a job as a medical assistant that only pays $14.00 an hour. I think that is hardly worth the 20,000 plus school loans she still have to pay off. I hope that this helps you some in your decision.

Student PTA in Lakewood, Colorado

61 months ago

Just looking at the difference in overall pass rates on the FSBPT website, I'd take ACC's 96% to PIMA's 51% or MCC's 62% anyday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

doorknocker4success in Denver, Colorado

57 months ago

Student PTA in Lakewood, Colorado said: Just looking at the difference in overall pass rates on the FSBPT website, I'd take ACC's 96% to PIMA's 51% or MCC's 62% anyday.

Great information! It seems like ACC's pass rate is much higher. Although, what other people say in this forum, the Teachers are rude at ACC, and they have had a bad experience at this school.

Does anyone know what is the average salary to start out as a PTA in CO? Is there much opportunity to find work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

lookingforchange in Cleveland, Ohio

53 months ago

I am considering going back to school to make a career change to a Physical Therapist Assistant. Does anyone know if PIMA offers a program where I could still work full time during the day AND attend school? The ACC program says you have to attend school full days on Tuesdays & Thursdays (no nights) and recommends you dont work more than part time. Who can afford to quit their job to go back to school?! I'm starting to get discouranged. Any help would be appreciated.

Devinn in Denver, Colorado

53 months ago

Hi lookingforchange, I just signed up to PIMAs PTA program and they actually told me and it also says in the PTA packet they gave me that they would advise you work no more than part time (20 hours). I am going to go to the PIMA in North Denver Colorado. The adviser told me they recommend this especially when it comes time to do clinicals because they will not change clinical hours to fit your work schedule. If you call them and talk to an advisor they will explain this to you. Also it is such an accelerated program that it might be to much stress to handle but I dont think you should be discouraged because there are people who go to school and work full time so it is possible dont give up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Sedona, Arizona

53 months ago

Devinn in Denver, Colorado said: Hi lookingforchange, I just signed up to PIMAs PTA program and they actually told me and it also says in the PTA packet they gave me that they would advise you work no more than part time (20 hours). I am going to go to the PIMA in North Denver Colorado. The adviser told me they recommend this especially when it comes time to do clinicals because they will not change clinical hours to fit your work schedule. If you call them and talk to an advisor they will explain this to you. Also it is such an accelerated program that it might be to much stress to handle but I dont think you should be discouraged because there are people who go to school and work full time so it is possible dont give up!

I was in the denver program at pima and thought it was great! I transferred to another pima campus for my last 2 semesters, and it was more difficult than the Denver class. The new campus warned me! They said since their state required licenses and that they were more strick with their tests and curriculum. Not sure all that was needed yet, but we shall soon see. Still pulled off honors though. Denver was difficult but not as detailed about some things. Better than any community colleges for sure! I am preparing to take the boards in a month or so, I have no option in my state of practice. Say Hi to Kris and everyone, from Paul!

53 months ago

Hi Paul, I just finished my shadowing of a PT today at Impact Sports and I LOVED it! I actually thought about just going all the way to become a PT instead of assistant. Did you find a job right away in your state? Also all the jobs in Denver that I look up for PTA all say they require a license even though Colorado doesnt, I think it just looks alot better. Im currently at a community college and I hate it it feels like high school so Im looking forward and hoping PIMA isnt like that.

Paul in Sedona, Arizona

53 months ago

Devinn in Denver, Colorado said: Hi Paul, I just finished my shadowing of a PT today at Impact Sports and I LOVED it! I actually thought about just going all the way to become a PT instead of assistant. Did you find a job right away in your state? Also all the jobs in Denver that I look up for PTA all say they require a license even though Colorado doesnt, I think it just looks alot better. Im currently at a community college and I hate it it feels like high school so Im looking forward and hoping PIMA isnt like that.

Devinn,
I did find a job right away, but I cannot start yet. They do not allow us to work on any type of temporary/interim permit here without a license. This state is very strict about everything. I also have to pass a state Jurisprudence exam, and not one of those open book ones either. Ya know, the fact that they want a license in Colorado is probably in part that it looks good, but also that it won't be long till it's law. Employers know that they could loose a good employee a few years down the road if they don't have their license. Difficult to pass it after being out of school for so long too. Pima is no high school by any means. It is very demanding, and overwelming at times. Working during clinicals is near impossible. I'v seen it done, but the student struggled and had to do an entire clinical over again. It was just too much for him to handle. PT rather than PTA? 7 years of school is a lot. Cost is huge also, Not sure how much but in the hundred thousand plus I believe. PTs have less hands on than PTAs for the most part. Evaluations are your main job as a PT. But if your smart enough and have the time go for it!

KenWood in Gilcrest, Colorado

53 months ago

i will be starting May 31 at PIMA. I am wanting to goto class now! I am working as a Project Engineer it SUCKS! I have been in bodybuilding for years and wanted to get into this field(PTA) for a long time. The body has always amazed me. anyone else starting in May?

53 months ago

Hey Paul thanks for all the awesome advice but one more question, what is the interview process with the program director? It says that there is 6 points for communication, 3 points for motivation, knowledge of profession for 6 points, commitment for 2 points, technical standards for 3 points and a short written essay for 5 points. Also if you fail a class do they let you retake it again for free or do you have a pay for it again? Thanks so much!

tee in Denver, Colorado

52 months ago

PIMA fan in Denver, Colorado said: I'd pick PIMA. Talk to any student in the program at PIMA, and talk to any at ACC. I haven't heard from many at ACC who are happy with the program (some sound miserable) and the people I know at PIMA really like it. Also, if Pueblo is an option, I've heard it's really hard to get into to, but they treat you great once you're in.

how's the program so far??

Shelly in Englewood, Colorado

52 months ago

Does anyone know how much out of state tuition at ACC is for the PTA program? Also how long it takes to get into any of these PTA programs?

KenWood in Gilcrest, Colorado

52 months ago

Devinn,
Are you starting May 31?

JCharlesworth in Rifle, Colorado

52 months ago

mimmik in Boulder, Colorado said: Hi, I'm a CMT looking at PTA programs in the Denver area and found only two. I have info off their websites and have spoken briefly to each, but can't find any student opinions - is there anyone out there with experience or knowledge of either/both of these programs? I'm leaning towards ACC but I'd love to hear pros and cons of both.

What I know so far:
ACC is public and ~$10,000 a year+ fess, books, etc
accredited since the 90s
it's 5 semesters over 2yrs
you get an Assoc of Applied Sciences

PIMA is private and a whopping $24,000 for everything included
has been accredited since '06
it's 20 months with only time off for xmas/new year's and naitonal holidays
you get an Assoc of Occupational Sciences

I attended PIMA in Colorado Springs for Veterinary Tech. Asst. PIMA is a for-profit school and their credits do not transfer. Now that I am 10 years older and have been going to my local Community College, I have learned the difference. You should deffinitly choos the ACC program because they are accredited and their credits transfer to any other college. I am signing up for the ACC PTA program for fall 2011. Good Luck!

JCharlesworth in Rifle, Colorado

52 months ago

I attended PIMA for a different degree. It proved to be useless and PIMA is a for-proffit school. 10 years later I still owe them money for a useless degree. Their credits do not transfer to regular colleges. I am applying to ACC for the PTA program because it is an accredited school and the credits are transferable shall I decide to go back to school to obtain my full degree to be a PT. Good Luck! I am applying to the Fall 2011 program.

Happy SPTA in Littleton, Colorado

51 months ago

JCharlesworth in Rifle, Colorado said: I attended PIMA for a different degree. It proved to be useless and PIMA is a for-proffit school. 10 years later I still owe them money for a useless degree. Their credits do not transfer to regular colleges. I am applying to ACC for the PTA program because it is an accredited school and the credits are transferable shall I decide to go back to school to obtain my full degree to be a PT. Good Luck! I am applying to the Fall 2011 program.

Be sure PTA credits transfer. I don't think any PTA credits count towards a DPT. Plus, why go to school to be a PTA, just start a DPT program if that is what you want to do.

Happy SPTA in Littleton, Colorado

51 months ago

I really liked the PTA program at ACC. It was DIFFICULT and I don't suggest working. I didn't see my family much. But, it is only a 2 year program and if you have the passion to do this job, you don't mind the sacrifice.
Even though you only have class 2 days a week, the lab is open 7 days a week and most students are there most days. The teachers are pretty easy to work with if they see you are working hard and putting in the effort it takes to do this job.
Prepare to have a ton of stress and NO free time.

51 months ago

Kenwood I am starting in month in january, my interview is next month.

Ken Wood in Evans, Colorado

49 months ago

Devinn, So did you have your interview? I am into my 6 wk it is going good. I have a guy in the class that came from ACC, he likes PIMA better. I have nothing to bad to say about them (PIMA)
GOOD LUCK

Ken Wood in Evans, Colorado

49 months ago

Devinn in Denver, Colorado said: Kenwood I am starting in month in january, my interview is next month.

Did you have your interview? I am in my 6th wk. I have not been in school for a long time. But I am having a blast.

Devinn in Lyons, Colorado

49 months ago

Hi Ken Wood I just had my interview on the 5th and I havnt heard back from then yet so Im wondering if my interview didnt go as well as i thought. Im so glad to hear that people love it there and makes me so nervous that I wont get in but I hope to hear from them soon. When you interviewed how long did it take for them to call you back?

tee in Denver, Colorado

49 months ago

Devinn in Lyons, Colorado said: Hi Ken Wood I just had my interview on the 5th and I havnt heard back from then yet so Im wondering if my interview didnt go as well as i thought. Im so glad to hear that people love it there and makes me so nervous that I wont get in but I hope to hear from them soon. When you interviewed how long did it take for them to call you back?

Had my interview today and was excepted on the spot if I were u I would call them

Ken Wood in Gilcrest, Colorado

46 months ago

devinn and tee when are you starting. In my 2 sem. WOW it is hard on this ol' fart. LOL

Devinn in Commerce City, Colorado

46 months ago

Hi Ken Wood Im actually going to be starting a program in New Mexico, its the only accredited mostly online PTA school, I have to fly down each semester for a week or two to do labs. I found this to be easier for me to still be able to work. The lady at PIMA never called me back after my interview and after five emails and multiple calls i finally got a rude email saying I wasnt good enough, I had ten credits in college and she said that simply wasnt enough that I needed more than 12, yet Debbie had said I would be fine to get accepted into the program. I can honestly say i felt it was because I am not white because when I went in to see the PTA class thats all there was. I felt the whole time like she was looking down on me and it wasnt right. Im glad you got into the program and are doing great and i wish you all the best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ken Wood in Gilcrest, Colorado

46 months ago

I wish you the best!! Really, on the skin color. my class has 4 mexicans, 22 whitey, 2 asian. The class that just grad. had 3 black 4 asians 10 mexicans and 6 whiteys. 4 semister has 1 black 3 asians I dont know how many mexicans and like 6 or 8 white. WOW I have to pay more attention to the school. It is hard to get in I know it took this one kid a year and half to get in. I had to pull about 20 hours of shadowing. I really do wish you good-luck. Give a yell if you need help on something.

KenWood

JimBob

46 months ago

Does anyone have any info on starting salary for new grad PTA's in the denver/boulder area?
Cheers!

BobJim in Clearwater, Florida

46 months ago

It really depends on a lot of stuff, including a red wheelbarrow.

William Carlos Williams in Clearwater, Florida

46 months ago

so much depends
upon
a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white
chickens.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JimBob

46 months ago

More specifically, denver/boulder new grad salaries for SNF? Also, does anyone know if there are any home health opportunities in that area?

From what I gather, most of the HH opportunities seem to be in Florida, Texas, and CA...

Hank in Kennesaw, Georgia

46 months ago

Devinn - How is the program coming along at PIMA? My fiance and I are moving out to CO and I want to know the best place for a PTA school. Arapahoe or Pima?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ben in Sedona, Arizona

46 months ago

Wow, those are some stats! I went to PIMA and felt pretty well prepared to take the exam, but more prepared for the actual real life work as a PTA, but that's just me. Remember, stats are not black and white and are not created equal, and can be deceptive. Not saying those stats are wrong, just be weary. The question might be: did the sample groups pass on the FIRST attempt? None the less, If you look at the stats of PIMA in states that require certification, like AZ, the passing rate is much higher. I know some classmates I had in CO. said they would not take the exam yet since they did not need it to work in CO. I personally have been to both types of institutions for different occupations, and find the PIMA type of programs deepened my understanding of the course goals at a higher level. Passing the exam is of utmost importance in a huge respect.Knowing how to be a good, safe therapist is important too. And just an FYI, I know several places in CO that prefer PIMA students over other schools for clinical externs.

Kim in Shingle Springs, California

46 months ago

Tebow Fan in Denver, Colorado said: Obviously, the boards shouldn't be the only factor in deciding on a school, but Arapahoe Community College does prepare its PTAs for the exam better than the other schools in Colorado.
The Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy lists the following pass rates for the national boards for the Colorado PTA schools for 2007 to 2009:
PIMA 77.27%
Arapahoe Community College 93.94%
Morgan Community College 66.67%
Pueblo Community College 66.67%
Here's a link www.fsbpt.org/ForCandidatesAndLicensees/NPTE/PassRates/StateList/PRDetail/index.asp?ExamLevel=PTA&PublishYear=2011&label=654

I've heard that perhaps the pass rates for CO are not as high because the state does not actually require a license. It's optional. So maybe everyone does not take the test and that would make the rates lower. Just a thought.

Des in Englewood, Colorado

45 months ago

KenWood in Gilcrest, Colorado said: Devinn,
Are you starting May 31?

Did you start in May? if so, how is it going? I am starting the PTA program at Denver PIMA in January.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.