PTA program at LaGuardia Community College

Comments (13)

larthur in Brooklyn, New York

42 months ago

Hi,

I am trying to find out the stats to the physical therapy assitant program at LaGuardia Community College.
Does anyone know what is the average GPA for all academic work and science pre-reqs? Approximately how many ppl apply to the program and how many get accepted?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

ja5366 in Oralton, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

i got 120 32 accepted from the program director.
these al lied health programs have a waiting line --- i know someone who could not wait and chose to go for robotics training and work in a factory at very good salary --he was an ace in math though and had to move to ncarolina.

ja5366 in Oralton, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

...read this posted on a forum below......you can go for it but you might not succeed at the least your going to wait in line like a dog to get in the program ...

Hi Natalie,

I graduate from La Guardia CC about 10 years ago, it was and still is a very competitive program, with many applicants but only the cream of the crop make it. It is doable, but it is tough. I was studying 7 days a week at times, into the late hours of the night. It was worth it. I got a job right away and have never been without work. I work 9-3. I started is at $30 an hour 10 years ago. That is still the going rate for new grads, now.

ja5366 in Oralton, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

larthur in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi,

I am trying to find out the stats to the physical therapy assitant program at LaGuardia Community College.
Does anyone know what is the average GPA for all academic work and science pre-reqs? Approximately how many ppl apply to the program and how many get accepted?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

read this posted on a forum ......you can go for it but you might not succeed at the least your going to wait in line like a dog to get in the program ...

Desiree in Woodhaven, New York

29 months ago

I know the initial post is kind of old, but for anyone wandering in wanting to know as of 2012.

The minimum GPA for PTA is about 3.6 That was the lowest for the 2011 year. I am hoping to get into the program in 2013. I will know if I made candidacy in one month. (crossing fingers)

Over 112 have applied for only 20 spots (and this does not include waitlisted people!) and the students who have 3.6 may be on a waiting list forever. If you have 3.8 or higher you are pretty much put to the top of the list. Just saying, if you take the pre-reqs and see that you have 3.5 or 3.6 be prepared to receive bad news. It is very competitive.

You really should get only A's in biology because they do look at the courses individually if deciding on that last entrants. For example, if you have 3.6 GPA with a B in Bio and another person has 3.6 with an A in Bio they will choose the other person. Bio is one of the key "double" courses that they really want you to excel in because it is a hard course and will truly show your dedication upon entering the program.

Misswifie in Brooklyn, New York

29 months ago

I know there are four courses you have to pass. But I already have eng 101 and psy 101 from another college. So would my gpa but only the other 2 classes? for one semester If I just wait for admission. And do they check cumulative cuny gpa?

Desiree in Woodhaven, New York

28 months ago

Ahh... I just found out today that I made the program at LaGuardia! The director, Clarence Chan, is so wonderful. I can tell that this is going to be a very close knit class yet very open. So excited.

@ Misswifie, They do not check your cumulative GPA for the program. They just want:

**Eng101
Eng102
**Psych101
Psych240 (developemental)
SCO230 (functional Pathology)
**SCB203 A&P
SCB204 A&P
**Community Health
SCH111 (aging and health)
And an elective (critical thinking, public speaking, or group dynamics)

The prereq classes I marked with an asterisk are the ones whose GPA they count twice. They are also the classes that have to be completed or in the process of being completed, before even submitting the request to enter the program.

BTW.. I just wanted to add that my class is going to be taking the pilot TEASE V exam. This has usually been designated for nursing program but now they are requiring it for all the health science programs. The good thing for me is that since we just found out about it today, it will not determine whether or not we make the program... but it will for other students in the future. Bad thing is, we still have to take it and pay a reduced fee of $40.

I hope you consider applying! The training for PTA that LaGuardia offers far exceeds what I am going to be paying.

Misswifie in Brooklyn, New York

28 months ago

Congratz! What was your grades for the courses, high b's? I hear it hard to get into.

Desiree in Woodhaven, New York

28 months ago

Thanks, I actually had all A's. It is hard to get into... They only take 20 maybe 23 students. I am not sure what the minimum GPA was this year but the other few students I spoke with had 4.0 as well and another had 3.9 . I imagine the lowest could be 3.7. I know the year before it was 3.6, but more people applied this yr.

Ryan in Lao People's Democratic Republic

25 months ago

@Desiree, Congrats on getting into the program!

I'm moving to NYC this summer and am looking into LaGuardia and Kingsborough for the PTA program. Did you look into any other programs other than LaGuardia in the area and what advice would you have for someone beginning the PTA process (volunteering, work schedule, ect.)?

Thanks!

Virginia in New York, New York

23 months ago

Desiree in Woodhaven, New York said: Thanks, I actually had all A's. It is hard to get into... They only take 20 maybe 23 students. I am not sure what the minimum GPA was this year but the other few students I spoke with had 4.0 as well and another had 3.9 . I imagine the lowest could be 3.7. I know the year before it was 3.6, but more people applied this yr.

@Desiree - I'd definitely like to know more about your process of getting into the program. Would you be okay with exchanging email addresses? I feel like just trying to speak to someone at the admissions office has been a struggle and would really like a first-hand account. Thanks!

Norma in New York, New York

4 months ago

Hi!
Does anyone know of a course or class (prep) for the TEAS V exam in New York City???

Norma in New York, New York

4 months ago

Desiree in Woodhaven, New York said: Ahh... I just found out today that I made the program at LaGuardia! The director , Clarence Chan, is so wonderful. I can tell that this is going to be a very close knit class yet very open. So excited.

@ Misswifie, They do not check your cumulative GPA for the program. They just want:

**Eng101
Eng102
**Psych101
Psych240 (developemental)
SCO230 (functional Pathology)
**SCB203 A&P
SCB204 A&P
** Community Health
SCH111 (aging and health)
And an elective (critical thinking, public speaking, or group dynamics)

The prereq classes I marked with an asterisk are the ones whose GPA they count twice. They are also the classes that have to be completed or in the process of being completed, before even submitting the request to enter the program.

BTW.. I just wanted to add that my class is going to be taking the pilot TEASE V exam. This has usually been designated for nursing program but now they are requiring it for all the health science programs. The good thing for me is that since we just found out about it today, it will not determine whether or not we make the program... but it will for other students in the future. Bad thing is, we still have to take it and pay a reduced fee of $40.

I hope you consider applying! The training for PTA that LaGuardia offers far exceeds what I am going to be paying.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI,
Saw your post and was wondering if you have heard of any course or class (prep) for the TEAS V exam in New York City???
Thank You,
Norma

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.