PTA salary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

GTdisciple in Elgin, Illinois

54 months ago

Hi, I live near Chicago and Im going into the pta field. I wanted to know what to expect for starting pay and after a few years of experience.

Ive check several different websites and they all have different answers. indeed.com says 79,000 is average where most other sites are between 40-60k. Ive also checked these forums and pay varies from 17-40 an hour.

When I was doing my observation hours I asked the PTA what to expect and he said around 25/hour starting. He then said that he makes about 80k a year. I also asked a PT if the extra school time is worth the pay and she said not anymore. She said that if she were me then she would stick with PTA.

So I would greatly appreciate it if anybody could give me an idea of what the real salary is because I dont know what to believe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

52 months ago

I did a lot of research prior to choosing this field. I feel as though this career field provides on of the highest salaries with the least amount of education in the medical field.

I work part time and make $40 per home health visit with .40 per mile reimbursement. I average 6-8 pts per day. I have been a PTA for 3 years, and started at this wage day 1 after my boards.

Many other students from my class started working in various clinical settings at $12-22 per hour straight out of school. If you enjoy a change of setting throughout the day and want to be on the upper level of PTA income possibilities then speak with a few PTA's working in home health.

I hope this helps, Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

turtleblues78 in Fenton, Michigan

52 months ago

GTdisciple in Elgin, Illinois said: Hi, I live near Chicago and Im going into the pta field. I wanted to know what to expect for starting pay and after a few years of experience.

Ive check several different websites and they all have different answers. indeed.com says 79,000 is average where most other sites are between 40-60k. Ive also checked these forums and pay varies from 17-40 an hour.

When I was doing my observation hours I asked the PTA what to expect and he said around 25/hour starting. He then said that he makes about 80k a year. I also asked a PT if the extra school time is worth the pay and she said not anymore. She said that if she were me then she would stick with PTA.

So I would greatly appreciate it if anybody could give me an idea of what the real salary is because I dont know what to believe.

I am trying to decide between PT/ PTA in Southeast Michigan. I have found a lot of disparity in the salaries for these careers as well. I have heard everything from $20k to $80k per year. I realize location and type of practice makes a big difference. Does anyone have any input on salary for an outpatient PT/ PTA in the Southeastern (far Detroit suburbs) Michigan area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

beach2desert in Gilbert, Arizona

52 months ago

Joe in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I did a lot of research prior to choosing this field. I feel as though this career field provides on of the highest salaries with the least amount of education in the medical field.

I work part time and make $40 per home health visit with .40 per mile reimbursement. I average 6-8 pts per day. I have been a PTA for 3 years, and started at this wage day 1 after my boards.

Many other students from my class started working in various clinical settings at $12-22 per hour straight out of school. If you enjoy a change of setting throughout the day and want to be on the upper level of PTA income possibilities then speak with a few PTA's working in home health.

I've been a PTA for 13 yrs. and am considering a position in home health. The company schedules 5 visits per day which seems like a full 8 hour day. How are you able to see 8 in a day? do you have to be with them for 1 hour, are your clients pretty close together? I 'm afraid if I take this position I will end up working more that 40 hours a week. Honestly how do-able is a home health schedule? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Blanchard, Oklahoma

51 months ago

beach2desert,

Most of my pt's are within 5 minutes of one another. I usually have 3-5 pt's in one town and the rest in a town 20-25 minutes away. I spend at least 30 minutes with each pt or I do not charge for a visit. There is no specified length of time that I must be with each pt. My own personal rule is 50 minutes. This usually always gives me ample drive time between pt's and allows me to maintain approximately 1 pt per hour. I think the main thing that you will need to look out for is a company that schedules many pts spaced very far apart. Most companies don't care that you may only get to see 5 pts per day, and that you spend as much time driving as you do performing PT. They care about bottom dollar, and they do not want to turn any referrals away. I would get some specifics in writing. Such that if you are unable to see X amount of pts per day due to drive time that they make up the difference. They will not like this, so then reply with the idea of only seeing pts in a particular town/city/area to better allow you to make your quota.

Let me know if I could be of further assistance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kerry in Stoneham, Massachusetts

51 months ago

Joe, do you also receive benefits from the home health agency you work for (specifically health insurance)? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

danb in Surrey, British Columbia

51 months ago

pts get 12-21 here in canada.

21 is very rare...

i thought about taking this program but i rather do pysch nursing...29 to start and up to 37. 100% job rate. and lots of OT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

I do not receive any other compensation. No insurance. This is why I am able to bill for the elevated wage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bluelineman in McKinney, Texas

51 months ago

beach2desert in Gilbert, Arizona said: I've been a PTA for 13 yrs. and am considering a position in home health. The company schedules 5 visits per day which seems like a full 8 hour day. How are you able to see 8 in a day? do you have to be with them for 1 hour, are your clients pretty close together? I 'm afraid if I take this position I will end up working more that 40 hours a week. Honestly how do-able is a home health schedule? Thanks

I work home health as a PTA north in the DFW area. My quota is 32-35 visits per week. I almost never hit it because my are is rather large. I typically see 6-8 pts per day like he does. The minimum billing time is 30 min. I typically allow about 40 minutes + 20 minutes of drive time. Seeing pts for 1 hour is very rare. I am hourly, drive time, etc is paid time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

banks78 in Towson, Maryland

50 months ago

Joe,

What would you say you clear each year? Do you get paid time off? I'm guessing you only work 49-50 weeks.

Also, do you have a lot of patients cancel? If so, how do you hit you're quotas?

Lastly, so you went into HH with no experience? I've heard a new grad should work in inpatient acute to get experience prior to going into home health. What is you're take and experience with this?

I'm doing extremely well in my classes. Honestly trying to figure out whether to continue the PTA route vs Nursing or PA. You're right the cost of the PTA degree is so low and the payout good. My program will only cost 5K.

50 months ago

I have another job that I work at full tome. I only perform PTA work 2x per week. I have no additional compensation (ie. insurance paid leave etc.) I do usually take 2-3 unpaid weeks off per year. My canceled pt's vary from 0-3 per day. I am beginning to figure them out though. If I really need the money and do not want any cancels, then they will inevitably cancel. If I want to get home early that day, then I will have no cancels!
I have no quotas because I am PRN. You can't help cancels. I have noticed that some pt's who cancel quite often and become close to not getting enough visits usually get D/C early.
I was told the same thing about getting experience prior to venturing into HH. If you can think on your feet, and are a people person, (which I'm sure you are or you would not have chosen this field) then I'm sure you will do fine in the HH setting. Check with companies in your area, and let them know that you would be interested in riding along with a PT or PTA for the day to observe. This will help in two ways. I believe your confidence in HH will improve, and you will get your foot in the door with said company.
Lastly, If you are doing well in your classes I hope you decide to finish. Most PTA schedules can be so flexible that should you decide to return to school you will be more than able to juggle both (at least until you get to the clinicals).

Good luck in your future endeavors, and let me know if I may be of any further assistance,

Joe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

banks78 in Towson, Maryland

50 months ago

Joe,

If the money is that good in HH, why do you only do it part time? Is you're full time work in a more secure hourly job? I know a someone that works at a SNF till noon, and then does HH in the afternoon.

Thanks again for the help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Yukon, Oklahoma

50 months ago

banks78,

I have a full time job that provides all benefits, such as retirement, medical, and dental. This job has a rotational schedule that allows me at least two weekdays off per week.
As I stated previously, the money a PTA can make in HH is very good, but my full time job does allow me to make a better wage than I could hope to make as a PTA.
If you have any further questions that you would want to speak with me privately about, then please post your email or phone #.

Let me know if anyone has any PTA questions that I may be of any future help with.

Joe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lbirchfield in Manvel, Texas

50 months ago

I am looking into the field of PTA and im wanting to know what the rate of pay is for houston, tx area. is it worth going into? Is the pay good, insurance , dental, etc? I live in the Pearland area which is a growing community for healthcare as well. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DW in Cypress, Texas

50 months ago

Hi Joe,
Hi Joe,
I have a couple of questions for you regarding the PTA program. I work full time in an unrelated field and am considering the PTA or Nursing as a career change. I have two undergraduate degrees (Finance, Business Admin). I am tired of being laid off or asked to relocate to keep my job due to mergers. My question is whether or not it is feasible to continue in my current full time job and complete the PTA program? My job is fairly flexible in that I make my own schedule. My email address is dw_2121@hotmail.com. thanks in advance for your advice.

50 months ago

I attended a community college that was very much geared toward full time working adults. The school and instructors did make allowances for all students at some point when they could not make it to class. I spoke with the program supervisor about this very subject, once I found that I was selected to attend the PTA program. I worked hard and did very well in class and I believe that this helped to give the instructors the freedom to make exceptions at times. The majority of my difficulty did arise when I began my clinicals. There were two clinical sessions in my program. One in the summer after my first year, and one that encompassed the entire last semester. The first clinical took most students 1 month, and took me 1 1/2 to 2 months to complete. The final semester clinical usually starts on or around January 20th. I began this clinical one month early, around December 20th. These were special exceptions that my instructors made for me. Starting early and finishing late allowed me to complete all my required hours. Of course there were some days where I worked partial or extended days to get in all of my hours.

Having said all this, my answer to your question is yes. It is very feasible. I would look for a school that has high graduation and licensure rates, and then set up appointments to speak with the program supervisors at these schools. I am sure that you will be able to find a school that wants an enthusiastic and career oriented student such as yourself.

All the best,
Joe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susie Horton in hawaii in Minneapolis, Minnesota

49 months ago

DW in Cypress, Texas said: Hi Joe,
Hi Joe,
I have a couple of questions for you regarding the PTA program. I work full time in an unrelated field and am considering the PTA or Nursing as a career change. I have two undergraduate degrees (Finance, Business Admin). I am tired of being laid off or asked to relocate to keep my job due to mergers.

JOE i also have questions! my email is horton.susie@gmail.com
i keep getting laid off or asked to relocate, and i dont' want to leave hawaii

49 months ago

Susie Horton,

I have sent an email to susie@gmail.com regarding questions that you may have.

To other persons on this board,
I will be happy to answer questions on this board so that all may benefit from our conversations. However, I do understand that some questions are personal in nature and will honor your privacy should you choose.

Joe

PTA in Laguna Niguel, California

49 months ago

Joe in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I did a lot of research prior to choosing this field. I feel as though this career field provides on of the highest salaries with the least amount of education in the medical field.

Joe, wondering where one can look for the PTA home health care positions? I have not seen any posted, but may not be looking in the right fashion.

49 months ago

They may not be posted, but they are there. You could start with calling local clinics, home healthy companies, nursing homes, and hospitals. Just check the yellow pages. Most everyone you call will either take your application, or give you a lead on someone hiring.
I am assuming that you have your license. Check with local colleges that have PTA programs(possibly the one you graduated from). You may also look for interdisciplinary agencies that include occupational therapy and speech therapy. Try all this, and I am sure you will have several people trying to recruit you to work for their company

Good luck with your job search!

Observation hours in Chicago, Illinois

48 months ago

GTdisciple in Elgin, Illinois said: Hi, I live near Chicago and Im going into the pta field. I wanted to know what to expect for starting pay and after a few years of experience.

I would like to apply on PTA program and i need to do those observation hours. Can you please let me know where did you do that? do you know any good places to do those hours over the weekend? how does it looks like..? Thank you for replay..:)

E E E in Castle Rock, Colorado

48 months ago

Observation hours in Chicago, Illinois said: I would like to apply on PTA program and i need to do those observation hours. Can you please let me know where did you do that? do you know any good places to do those hours over the weekend? how does it looks like..? Thank you for replay..:)

honestly, Looking at the salary ranges on the government site for slaariesis the best way to look at salaries. These stated are not the norm, but extremely high.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

E E E in Castle Rock, Colorado

48 months ago

seems high. there is a gov site on salaries. check that out

Lisa Arriaza in North Hollywood, California

46 months ago

Is a PTA a good career move. Can i make a good comfortable living in this field?

gosia in Chicago, Illinois

46 months ago

Where in Chicago i can do my observation hour? Please mail me back if anyone has idea about any places. gosiak_u@yahoo.com

Bhavin in Mount Prospect, Illinois

45 months ago

Observation hours in Chicago, Illinois said: I would like to apply on PTA program and i need to do those observation hours. Can you please let me know where did you do that? do you know any good places to do those hours over the weekend? how does it looks like..? Thank you for replay..:)

you can get the observation hours anywhere. You can go to an outpatient clinic or even to a nursing home with rehab.

edwards b in Memphis, Tennessee

38 months ago

i wanted to know were the classes hard for a pta and the state test also.was it difficult to find a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.