PTA versus OTA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 71)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Kim L in El Dorado Hills, California

68 months ago

Thank you both for the comments, very constructive. I'm going to check into it and learn more about it....as an option, not a back up. i was worried reading so many negative comments on the OTA board and people are pretty up beat on this one. Just from what i've read about the program it's looks more intensive, and more expensive, than PTA I guess I've just been working so long towards PTA and was disappointed.

Any more comments out there......... pros and cons.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Not sure if either of you know this, but is it hard for OTAs to find full time work?? Is is all hospital work or varied like PTA??

thanks again

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

David,
thanks for your response. are you a PT or PTA??? if so, are you enjoying that? Seems like you aren't really happy where you are at. do you work inpatient??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

OTdude in Piscataway, New Jersey

66 months ago

DavidT in Berwyn, Illinois said: Coming from experience and many OTR's and COTA's bitching to me.. at the end of the day, familys, doctors, patients, insurance agency etc, dont care about the OT aspect of a person rehab Family members arent interested in how well mom/dad can button their shirt or screw a bolt.. When families call the facility, they want to speak with the PT/PTA responsible for treating mom or dad. They want to know if the patient will be able to get up and go again. I constantly have to tell my patients who refuse to "go and play" with the OT's at their tables. They often tell the OT/COTA's to their faces that its a waste of time and they would prefer to just practice walking.

So if you're interested in being a COTA, prepare yourself for that.. but on the other hand, when i have back problems from heavy lifting, you guys will be watching and laughing at how easy your job is just sitting there thinking of ways to make pointless tasks seem purposeful

Tell that to your friend or family member that acquires a brain injury and can't figure out how to comb their hair, brush their teeth or put their socks on. I do agree that most families are only interested in ambulation, but walking with max A x2 with RW get you far in life. There are many silly things in OT but there are also some true services that we can provide that ARE life changing. DavidT, next time you feel like God, just pray that you don't ever suffer a stroke and need to learn how to care for yourself with one hand. Oh I forgot, you'll walk with that hemi-cane and have your family bathe you, dress you, and wipe your butt for the next few decades.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (86) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

KappaTm in Cincinnati, Ohio

64 months ago

To the OTdude-Hilarious! I think I literally laughed out loud! Very Very true though, valid points. I also am looking at pta or ota not sure...transfering from a nursing program...Anyone with intelligent facts about either or programs feel free to email me... theresa.kappa@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Calgary, Alberta

63 months ago

rose in Mississauga, Ontario said: Hi,

I will be taking ota/pta program by this sept 09. Does anybody know if this can be continued to PT or OT program? if there is, how long will it be?

please help me.

thanks.

No. I graduated with a diploma in PTA/OTA, and have looked into continuing my education in the OT field. There is no way around it. You have to have a university BA and only then can you apply for the Masters program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Gulfport, Mississippi

62 months ago

DavidT in Berwyn, Illinois said: im PTA and i love my job. I just think its funny when OT's/OTA's complain to me about how families dont really care about what they do with the patients and it makes me feel really important to the patients well being. It almost gives me a god complex. I've worked in both Canada and the US and its been the same in every place i work. Nobody cares about how well a person and do their ADLS. they only care about how the patient is with moving around.

I think it is so professional that you say that OT and COTA "bi@ch". That was sarcasm if you didnt get that. Im sure you "bi@ch" about parts of being a physical therapist. Im sure you will if you ever have to have back surgery. You make physical therapy sound like its the top priority. Occupational therapy and Recreational therapy are just as important! ADLs are important because we do them everyday! So quit with the big ego because its making you look really bad!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Gulfport, Mississippi

62 months ago

OTdude in Piscataway, New Jersey said: Tell that to your friend or family member that acquires a brain injury and can't figure out how to comb their hair, brush their teeth or put their socks on. I do agree that most families are only interested in ambulation, but walking with max A x2 with RW get you far in life. There are many silly things in OT but there are also some true services that we can provide that ARE life changing. DavidT, next time you feel like God, just pray that you don't ever suffer a stroke and need to learn how to care for yourself with one hand. Oh I forgot, you'll walk with that hemi-cane and have your family bathe you, dress you, and wipe your butt for the next few decades.

Im with OTdude. If DavidT walks with that hemi-cane, he will have to go see an OT to bathe him, dress him, and wipe his butt for the next few decades. lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lmtlv in Las Vegas, Nevada

58 months ago

Johnson in Nashville, Tennessee said: I want to either be a OTA or PTA, i live in Nashville i have a full-time job where i work 7am everyday im @ work, my job will reimburse me for schooling i can't find a community college that offers the two programs @ night, what advise would u give me, & which job pays the most?

i attended a health program orientation at csn (las vegas)few days ago. for PTA...unfortunately you have to quit your job before you enter the program because fieldwork must be done during the day. OTA there is an option to be part-time in the program. check with your health programs advisor at your school or ask for a program advisement sheet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Johnson in Nashville, Tennessee

58 months ago

Thanks for ur feedback

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Giz in Hamilton, Ontario

57 months ago

Ok. Here is my two cent. I am an OTA/PTA. Yes BOTH. I have a diploma and working full time for about 6 years.I work in long term care.I do ADL-s in the morning and meal times for proper functionig with clients who WANTS TO IMPROOVE THEIR ABILITY TO CARE FOR THEMSELFES. The rest of my day is mostly mobility and exercises.About 2x/week I practice dexterity and fine motor skills which again falls under the OTA part.I have to add though most of the programs our clients prefer are functional .You have to know your clients to improove their functions.Some will do the peg board but some will only responds to a chess game. Either way you improoving dexterity.Want to be an OTA you have be creative and use the right side of your brain. Its a great job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Giz in Hamilton, Ontario

57 months ago

Please excuse my spellin mistakes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Giz in Hamilton, Ontario

57 months ago

Spelling!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in San Diego, California

53 months ago

I hate to be the materialistic person in here, but who gets paid the most? I looked it up under the bureau of labor statistics website, and they reported that OTA make a bit more than PTA...but when i searched other websites (payscale.com, etc), they're saying that PTAs make at least 2 grand more than OTA (yearly).

www.bls.gov/oco/ocos167.htm

www.bls.gov/oco/ocos166.htm#oes_links

i know a couple of grand doesn't make a difference, but i will need all the money i can get, since i will be majoring in micro while working as an OTA or PTA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

paula in Wallingford, Connecticut

53 months ago

Ashley,
I realize that this is a very old thread, but I wanted to ask you about being an OTA, how difficult is the schooling? is it very intense? I'd think that it would be slightly easier than being a PTA, what do you think? Also, do you have to bathe people? If you could answer any of these questions I would really appreciate it. -thanks, Pamp

Ashley in Lima, Ohio said: Im going to school for OTA and i love it, I almost did PTA and im thankful everyday that i choose to change. In OT you get to deal with more than just muscles and bones, thats bascially all PT's do. When you do OT you deal with the physical part as well as the emotional part, when someone is injured and is unable to participate in an activity that makes their lives meaningful, you find ways to enage them in this "occupation"..you also do strengthning in the upper body mainly, splinting, stretching ect... You also get to deal with a pysch aspect which to me is vrey interseting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in El Cajon, California

52 months ago

Rick in San Diego, California said: No way do COTA's make more money than PTA's. I too live in San Diego and the jobs for OTA's is few and far between. I retired from OT and now work as an ATC making more money and working with clients who don't refure to work with me. I love my new career. Go get you're PTA, You will be much happier.

Hi Rick
I'm in SD as well. I have my BS but am looking at going back to school for either COTA or PTA. Are PTA jobs easier to come by in SD that OTA jobs? How competitive is it to get a job with the school district as either COTA or PTA her is SD. Thanks any input is greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

OTA student in South Bend, Indiana

49 months ago

Julie in Calgary, Alberta said: No. I graduated with a diploma in PTA/OTA, and have looked into continuing my education in the OT field. There is no way around it. You have to have a university BA and only then can you apply for the Masters program.

There are combined four year/masters degree programs available. They generally take three years and you can transfer to these programs once you attain the two year degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

diane in Boynton Beach, Florida

49 months ago

i was thinking of going for ota verses pta primarily because i want the option to be able to further my career. I heard that once a pta you really would have to start from beginning to do a pt program. as with ota you can get an associate degree and then obtain some more sciences until you meet all the requirements to apply for grad school to get your masters.
although i still am not 100 percent sure what one i want to go to school for. do you make a good living on a pta paycheck? is there any room for advancement for pta's? do ota's make more money? Are there more jobs that otcs can do. do otcs only help a person brush teeth and bath or is there a lot more they can do. can they specialize in any one area. i want to be able to better peoples lives and help them be able to function at their maximum. any replies or input would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much and good luck to all you other students out there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

kcocco in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

I am an older student and I too, was on the fence for PTA/OTA. I finally chose OTA because of the flexibility: you can do sensory intervention with children with autism or a skilled nursing facility or assisted living. You can run mental health groups, etc. etc. You do have extensive training with the muscles for UE (upper extremity) for range of motion and splinting. It is diverse and never seems to get dull. I probably would have been happy in the PTA program but am personally happy to get into the OTA aspect. Are jobs plentiful? Yes, and they probably will more so in the future because there will be more older people and unfortunately, there are more children with autism than ever before.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

LBeck in San Diego, California

48 months ago

Mark in San Diego, California said: I hate to be the materialistic person in here, but who gets paid the most? I looked it up under the bureau of labor statistics website, and they reported that OTA make a bit more than PTA...but when i searched other websites (payscale.com, etc), they're saying that PTAs make at least 2 grand more than OTA (yearly).

www.bls.gov/oco/ocos167.htm

www.bls.gov/oco/ocos166.htm#oes_links

i know a couple of grand doesn't make a difference, but i will need all the money i can get, since i will be majoring in micro while working as an OTA or PTA.

I read the same thing in regards to the OTA making a little more then an PTA. I have a question for you though and I hope you can help.

I was wondering where you went to school for an OTA? I also live in San Diego and want to make a career change. I am having difficulty finding the right school and the direction I need to go. Does anyone know if there are any forms of online education for either OTA or PTA or both?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in San Diego, California

48 months ago

hey liz,

as far as i know, they only offer these assistant programs at community colleges. i'm currently in the waitlist for the OTA program down at grossmont community college. mesa college offers the PTA program.as for the prerequisites, you need general bio, human anatomy, human physiology, i believe chemistry, and some basic english and math courses. the program takes about 2 years, and the prerequisites around a year and a half. altogether, expect to be in school for about 3 1/2 years providing they accept you right after you finish your prerequisites.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LBeck in San Diego, California

48 months ago

Mark,

Thanks for replying. I will look into it further. The only one I had found offering anything at a community college was Mesa for PTA and they are actually on academic suspension for that program. Not sure of the whole story but came across it in my search for schools that offer PTA or OTA. Thanks again for your info.

Have a great new year!
Liz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dave18 in TORONTO, Ontario

46 months ago

Hello Everyone,. Thank you for posting the information.

but I am just a little bit confused. Currently enrolled in York University for Humanities, but I feel that it is not really for me. and just wanted to ask that i have got in to OTA/PTA diploma program here in canada. Just want to ask that am I making a wise decision about going to college and doing OTA/PTA? or should I continue doing what I am doing right now? What would the scopes would be for OTA/PTA's in let's say 2 years?

I don't know what should I do? My parents are not ready to let me go to college because I am in university and going to colloge means going down a level. Please help me with more information.

dawn malone in Clermont, Florida

46 months ago

Johnson in Nashville, Tennessee said: I want to either be a OTA or PTA, i live in Nashville i have a full-time job where i work 7am everyday im @ work, my job will reimburse me for schooling i can't find a community college that offers the two programs @ night, what advise would u give me, & which job pays the most?

In Nashville, Belmont University has an OT Program.

Aleks Voultrini in Houston, Texas

45 months ago

Hi,
I am right now doing my general pre requisites courses but i am not sure of which program to go into. I have heard many stories and I think personally its getting me more confused. I really want to know if the OTA program is hard as in challenging? is it worth it? Or should I try to get in the PTA program? I have an aunt who is a LVN and works at a health agencie, she says its about the same and they do about the same and pretty much get paid the same. But I hear all these other comments and frankly am lost. Do OTA REALLY HAVE TO BATHE PEOPLE??
I started college persuing PTA program but now I really need to start working and need money and OTA is a much shorter program timewise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

daphne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

44 months ago

Kim L in El Dorado Hills, California said: After a few years getting the prereq's out of the way I didn't get in to PTA school because too many people applied. I'm considering looking into OTA as a backup. the OTA forum is full of negative comments and unhappy people. I was wondering if anyone here had experience of input about OTA.

I don't mind waiting one year to get in but there are no guarantees that I will get in next year and I need to get on with my life and make some money.

thanks for any input.

Hi Kim L. Wow! Ive finally come across someone whose gone through the same mess as me. I too spent 3 yrs of my life dedicated to getting into a PTA program just to get denied twice. Apparently a 3.2 gpa isnt good enough because im competing against over 300 applicants for a class of only 30 available seats. in south florida its way too competitive and so i was debating on switching to OTA. Ive been put on the OTA waiting list at Keiser University but my heart is still set on PTA but Keiser's wait list for PTA is much much longer than OTA. im kind of at a crossroads in my life and its become quite stressful and depressing and im only 20yrs old. I was debating on moving to north florida where its less competitive to get in the PTA program and just live with my sister. but moving has become a hard decision too since ive grown really fond of a guy and feel my chances with him will be gone if i move (thats a whole nother story lol) but I was just wondering Kim what u decided to do with ur life since ur post is about 2yrs old now? Did u do OTA or stuck to PTA or even something completely out of the therapy field? If anyone has any input in my situation id be happy to hear them (or read them lol) thanks!

Kim in El Dorado Hills, California

44 months ago

Hey Daphne,

Thanks for the questions. I am now just finishing up the first year of the program and it's going great. I was so disappointed not to get in the first time but went back and tried it again. OTA was just not what I wanted to do.

I wish you luck in your decision. I can just say, follow your heart. If PTA is where it's at, find a way to make it happen. Even a move can be good. I moved back home with my mom to make it easier and really couldn't do this if I had to work full time.

If he is the right guy it will work out, but don't forget the things you want to accomplish, a relationship cannot fill that. Just from my past experience of putting a relationship ahead of pursuing my own goals.

I'm sure you'll figure it out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Colorado Springs, Colorado

43 months ago

I have a BS in Health Care Science/ Sports Health and Wellness, and I am ACSM certified Health fitness Specialist. Also i have been personal training and teaching group fitness for one year now. I want to do one of these programs, but with a Bachelors and all the prerequisits already, PT or OT would make more sense. I would likely need more science and physics though :( and either way, money and time are a huge obstacle(I have small children). Any thoughts?

lucy in Portland, Oregon

42 months ago

DavidT in Berwyn, Illinois said: Coming from experience and many OTR's and COTA's bitching to me.. at the end of the day, familys, doctors, patients, insurance agency etc, dont care about the OT aspect of a person rehab Family members arent interested in how well mom/dad can button their shirt or screw a bolt.. When families call the facility, they want to speak with the PT/PTA responsible for treating mom or dad. They want to know if the patient will be able to get up and go again. I constantly have to tell my patients who refuse to "go and play" with the OT's at their tables. They often tell the OT/COTA's to their faces that its a waste of time and they would prefer to just practice walking.

So if you're interested in being a COTA, prepare yourself for that.. but on the other hand, when i have back problems from heavy lifting, you guys will be watching and laughing at how easy your job is just sitting there thinking of ways to make pointless tasks seem purposeful

david's comment wa a bit harsh in my opinion. i am going into the field of ot because of the ot help understand my sons sensory seeking behavior. so to me "pointless tasks" help my son a lot more then physical activity. coming from a mom of a kid that had ot services i felt this was harsh.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

bw in Zanesville, Ohio

42 months ago

David your a dick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Oak Park, Michigan

41 months ago

Does anybody know if its true that COTA's make more than OT's??? and what is the difference in the positions? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

justme in Gurnee, Illinois

41 months ago

Lisa in Oak Park, Michigan said: Does anybody know if its true that COTA's make more than OT's??? and what is the difference in the positions? Thanks

Cota's do NOT make more than OT's...OT's make 20,000+ more than cota's. Ot's are in charge of assessing the patients needs and determining their treatment plan...Cota's follow the OT's orders and document the patients progress.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

Kim in El Dorado Hills, California said: Hey Daphne,

Thanks for the questions. I am now just finishing up the first year of the program and it's going great. I was so disappointed not to get in the first time but went back and tried it again. OTA was just not what I wanted to do.

I wish you luck in your decision. I can just say, follow your heart. If PTA is where it's at, find a way to make it happen. Even a move can be good. I moved back home with my mom to make it easier and really couldn't do this if I had to work full time.

If he is the right guy it will work out, but don't forget the things you want to accomplish, a relationship cannot fill that. Just from my past experience of putting a relationship ahead of pursuing my own goals.

I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Thanks so much Kim. You really helped me with my decision. Ill stick to PTA since its what I really want. I hope for the best for you in the PTA program. Im sure your wrapping up now if not complete with the program. Feel free to share your experiences in it. How intense is it? Any regrets? Hope to hear from you soon!

kim in Shingle Springs, California

39 months ago

daphne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Thanks so much Kim. You really helped me with my decision. Ill stick to PTA since its what I really want. I hope for the best for you in the PTA program. Im sure your wrapping up now if not complete with the program. Feel free to share your experiences in it. How intense is it? Any regrets? Hope to hear from you soon!

hey Daphne,

Glad I could help in your decision. You just have to go with how you feel and see how it works out.

I'm in the first part of the second year now. Definitely no regrets. I'm just trying to keep up with the pace of the program now. next month we start full time internships and will be a nice break from the school work.

hope your classes are going well and you find a school to apply to.
Kim

RESEACHER in Los Angeles, California

39 months ago

If your thinking of becoming a PTA may I suggest that you research the RC-311( you can even research it her on indeed). It is a new rule that is going to go into affect that will allow PT's to utilize who ever they want to perform PTA duties. In other words, they will be able to train massage therapist, athletic trainer or who ever they want to provide services. No longer will they be restricted to using only PTA's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

Will this affect OTAs as well?

RESEACHER in Los Angeles, California said: If your thinking of becoming a PTA may I suggest that you research the RC-311( you can even research it her on indeed). It is a new rule that is going to go into affect that will allow PT's to utilize who ever they want to perform PTA duties. In other words, they will be able to train massage therapist, athletic trainer or who ever they want to provide services. No longer will they be restricted to using only PTA's.

anna in Pensacola, Florida

38 months ago

Just wondering are there any programs in the United States where you can become a PTA/OTA at the same time? I know not many people do this, but I really want to do both

Anna in Denver, Colorado

38 months ago

State law governs who can provide physical therapy. APTA does not make laws. So, check your state practice acts, which is government legislation. In Colorado, ours says that only PTs and PTAs can perform physical therapy. The insurance companies have a role in this too, they might not reimburse for physical therapy treatments that are not performed by a PT or PTA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Future PTA in Tacoma, Washington

38 months ago

^If the APTA adopts this position, they will then begin the process of lobbying state officials to change their laws to conform with their new rule. The APTA lobbying against its own profession...how totally bizarre would that be?

becoming an OTR in Indianapolis, Indiana

38 months ago

I am a COTA and I have NEVER found that families undervalue what I do..because I educate them, the OTR educates them, and it becomes clear why there is delineation between these two fields. I am also happy to say that I haven't ever encountered boorish, rude, and hostile PTAs or PTs...except on here. I have 10 years of experience in multiple settings, and I love this job. I am working for my Masters degree. I haven't ever had difficulty getting a job! If I wanted to leave the field, I have skills that are highly valued in the current economy and would apply in other areas. You should do what you love. Both fields require strong written and verbal communication, a decent memory, and good math and science foundations. If you are more psych oriented, like problem solving, and don't have difficulty advocating for yourself, you will like OT. If you are more biologically oriented, prefer clearer cut and more structured activities, you will prefer PT. Ideally, you would work in an area where these two fields are working collaboratively for the most positive patient outcome possible. It's a little disturbing to me that someone on a team of caregivers would so completely disrespect and undervalue their peers. In my current market area (midwest) there is very little compensatory difference for OTA/PTA. In the more rural areas, OTA's earn slightly more because there are fewer of them. The markets for all of the allied health fields are all extremely regional and have fairly wide pay variance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No Reply - Report abuse

herk in Youngstown, Ohio

37 months ago

I just started @ penn State for the PTAQ program, only to find out that the school is going to also offer the COTA program next fall. I thought by reading this forum I could decided if I wanted to perhaps change to COTA. I am a massage therapist and I do some holistic things. If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it. thank you (love& light)

becoming an OTR in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I am a COTA and I have NEVER found that families undervalue what I do..because I educate them, the OTR educates them, and it becomes clear why there is delineation between these two fields. I am also happy to say that I haven't ever encountered boorish, rude, and hostile PTAs or PTs...except on here. I have 10 years of experience in multiple settings, and I love this job. I am working for my Masters degree. I haven't ever had difficulty getting a job! If I wanted to leave the field, I have skills that are highly valued in the current economy and would apply in other areas. You should do what you love. Both fields require strong written and verbal communication, a decent memory, and good math and science foundations. If you are more psych oriented, like problem solving, and don't have difficulty advocating for yourself, you will like OT. If you are more biologically oriented, prefer clearer cut and more structured activities, you will prefer PT. Ideally, you would work in an area where these two fields are working collaboratively for the most positive patient outcome possible. It's a little disturbing to me that someone on a team of caregivers would so completely disrespect and undervalue their peers. In my current market area (midwest) there is very little compensatory difference for OTA/PTA. In the more rural areas, OTA's earn slightly more because there are fewer of them. The markets for all of the allied health fields are all extremely regional and have fairly wide pay variance.

tracy703 in San Diego, California

35 months ago

Does anyone know how long the waitlist is at Grossmont College after finishing prereq's?

Bobbie Abbott in Ocala, Florida

34 months ago

I have been licensed as a PTA for 28yrs and just got finished with an OTA program. There is definitely a difference with the how each program is done. As far as decided what field you want to be in, as a PTA you are able to treat the whole body as to the OTA concentrating more on the upper extremities. If you have a background in personal training then you will probably like the PTA better. If you have been a HHA, or CNA then probably OTA would be more similiar. Are you a foot or hand person, which you would prefer to touch. Would you like to teach someone how to walk or to get dressed? Why did I decided to go to OTA, I like working with hands and in the school system so in these setting OTAs are used more than PTA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Blake Chavis-Newsome in Ahoskie, North Carolina

29 months ago

Giz in Hamilton, Ontario said: Ok. Here is my two cent. I am an OTA/PTA. Yes BOTH. I have a diploma and working full time for about 6 years.I work in long term care.I do ADL-s in the morning and meal times for proper functionig with clients who WANTS TO IMPROOVE THEIR ABILITY TO CARE FOR THEMSELFES. The rest of my day is mostly mobility and exercises.About 2x/week I practice dexterity and fine motor skills which again falls under the OTA part.I have to add though most of the programs our clients prefer are functional .You have to know your clients to improove their functions.Some will do the peg board but some will only responds to a chess game. Either way you improoving dexterity.Want to be an OTA you have be creative and use the right side of your brain. Its a great job.

Do you think, with both degrees, you are making more money then your co-workers. I'm thinking about obtaining both degrees. Yes, I want a high salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bridgette8808 in Las Vegas, Nevada

29 months ago

Anybody who will take the exam on tuesday st george ut? Thanks

Brian A. in Bothell, Washington

29 months ago

Hope this will help someone: this is a chart comparing the PT career with the OT career. Was created with help form APTA and AOTA advisors.
www.allalliedhealthschools.com/health-careers/career-comparison/occupational-therapist-vs-physical-therapist

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Norma in New York, New York

29 months ago

Brian A. in Bothell, Washington said: Hope this will help someone: this is a chart comparing the PT career with the OT career. Was created with help form APTA and AOTA advisors.
www.allalliedhealthschools.com/health-careers/career-comparison/occupational-therapist-vs-physical-therapist

What a great chart! Thank you for clearing up my curiosity!
Norma

28 months ago

Hi Again,
Since I have some time on my hands before schools starts again. I'm rethinking my choice PTA or OTA. Just completed my externship and I realize I like working with seniors and people who are unable to walk or move with limited range of motion, rather than pain management. I’m reconsidering my choice. Also I thought since I'm a personal trainer, OTA maybe a better choice for me. I was wondering if anyone can share some further thoughts on the subject PTA vs. OTA. Anyone recently made a switch? Also if anyone is attending a NYC OTA program, such Touro or LaGuardia..or ??

I appreciate your comments!

Thank You

bobbieabbott in Clermont, Florida

28 months ago

I want to make clear that both disciplines deal with pain.If you want to address specific gait deviations then PTA. If more of the functional aspect of ambulation then OTA. If you like to specifically adress ROM/strength then PTA. If more the ability to perform a functonal activity then OTA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Hi Bobbieabbott,
Oh, Ok..thank you..Since I'm doing my pre-reqs now, I have some time to investigate a bit further..
Thank You,
Norma

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.