PTAs in FLORIDA, please help...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

Rosa in Chevy Chase, Maryland

59 months ago

Hi all, thanks in advance for your help. I am planning to move near the Boca Raton Area. I am also planning to study for PTA. Is there any school near that area that offers the PTA program at night or with some flexibility that allows one to work? Is full-time the only way to achive this degree? I have been a Personal Trainer and have a AA in Exercise Science, and I am hoping to be able to get credits for some of the basic courses. Do the program still take 2 years, right? Are there long waiting lists for this program in Florida? What are the best paid places to work as a PTA, I assume nursing homes?
Any aswers to these questions would be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Palm City, Florida

58 months ago

Rosa in Chevy Chase, Maryland said: Hi all, thanks in advance for your help. I am planning to move near the Boca Raton Area. I am also planning to study for PTA. Is there any school near that area that offers the PTA program at night or with some flexibility that allows one to work? Is full-time the only way to achive this degree? I have been a Personal Trainer and have a AA in Exercise Science, and I am hoping to be able to get credits for some of the basic courses. Do the program still take 2 years, right? Are there long waiting lists for this program in Florida? What are the best paid places to work as a PTA, I assume nursing homes?
Any aswers to these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Rosa, South University in West Palm has a night program for PTA, it is 18 months and on the expensive side, around $32K for the program. I will be applying to Indian River State College which would be about 1.5 - 2 hours drive north of you. Also check out Broward Community College. I believe they have a program. Keiser University also has a program down in Broward, but they are very expensive too. Best of luck. Anne

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rosa in Chevy Chase, Maryland

58 months ago

Anne in Palm City, Florida said: Hi Rosa, South University in West Palm has a night program for PTA, it is 18 months and on the expensive side, around $32K for the program. I will be applying to Indian River State College which would be about 1.5 - 2 hours drive north of you. Also check out Broward Community College. I believe they have a program. Keiser University also has a program down in Broward, but they are very expensive too. Best of luck. Anne

Thanks Anne for taking the time to reply, really. Good luck to you too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Jupiter, Florida

56 months ago

im am in the first term of south iniversity in WPB right now. it is expensive but I hear that keiser is worse and does not prepare you as well as south. as far as working full time- The first term(10 weeks) is used as a weeding out process. its kinda silly but thats the way it is because there is almost no requirements to get in. you just have to get B's on all your prereques. It has been nuts but you can work some (20hrs a wk) and make it. from there im told it is less intense and you can work a bit more. But working 40hrs during the whole thing is too much.. I will say this too. I have learned more in the past 9 weeks than I thought possible. If you are really focused and serious about it you will do fine and love it. hope I helped. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rosa in Laurel, Maryland

56 months ago

Thank you Chris! Your reply is very helpful and to the point. Thanks a million. Interesting that you are in Jupiter, I was supposed to move there, but have changed plans to Boca Raton or near by, but still WPB is not that far. Hope we keep in touch. Good luck to you too!

56 months ago

No problem. Glad I could help. If your in Boca and take the Turnpike to school its not bad at all. 25-30 min. All the best

Laurie in Gainesville, Florida

54 months ago

Chris in Jupiter, Florida said: No problem. Glad I could help. If your in Boca and take the Turnpike to school its not bad at all. 25-30 min. All the best

I too was going to move to Jupiter, but am now moving to FT Pierce (long story) and have an appointment with South University on May 18th. Cost is an issue for me, but I missed the deadline at Indian River (wasn't quite sure about the PTA program at the time because I heard PTAs didn't get paid very much--not that pay is the only reason to go into it but one has to make a living, especially with today's cost of living-- and I was also looking into Sonography).

I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions:
Do you have options for your clinical sites? Like would they help me find a site in FT Pierce?

How long of a drive will it be from FT Pierce...google maps says 1 hour and 20 mins, but I've found that those times are not always accurate. What are the class hours?

What about financial aid?

Finally, are you aware of whether PTAs can work evening hours? I am looking for a career that offers a flexible schedule.

Thanks for any help.

Laurie

54 months ago

Laurie in Gainesville, Florida said: I too was going to move to Jupiter, but am now moving to FT Pierce (long story) and have an appointment with South University on May 18th. Cost is an issue for me, but I missed the deadline at Indian River (wasn't quite sure about the PTA program at the time because I heard PTAs didn't get paid very much--not that pay is the only reason to go into it but one has to make a living, especially with today's cost of living-- and I was also looking into Sonography).

I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions:
Do you have options for your clinical sites? Like would they help me find a site in FT Pierce?

How long of a drive will it be from FT Pierce...google maps says 1 hour and 20 mins, but I've found that those times are not always accurate. What are the class hours?

What about financial aid?

Finally, are you aware of whether PTAs can work evening hours? I am looking for a career that offers a flexible schedule.

Thanks for any help.

Laurie

Yes. They would help you find a clinical site as close to where you live as possible. That shouldnt be an issue. You can even find a place and ask the school to set it up w/ them. Ft. Pierce would be about that. 1hr and 1/2. The hours during the first 10 wk term are either 6-930 mon - thur, or 12pm- 9-30pm on Tues Thurs w/ a 2 hour break. Im in 2nd term now and the hours are kina all over the place. Tues all day, thur at *am and fri at 12pm. Financial aid depends on what you make but South is great at helping you get it. If you look at South stats on APTA website you see that 80% of students there get Fin. aid. Im not too sure about night hours- probably in a Skilled nursing facility but thats about it. Mostly day hours.

54 months ago

Chris in Jupiter, Florida said: Yes. They would help you find a clinical site as close to where you live as possible. That shouldnt be an issue. You can even find a place and ask the school to set it up w/ them. Ft. Pierce would be about that. 1hr and 1/2. The hours during the first 10 wk term are either 6-930 mon - thur, or 12pm- 9-30pm on Tues Thurs w/ a 2 hour break. Im in 2nd term now and the hours are kina all over the place. Tues all day, thur at *am and fri at 12pm. Financial aid depends on what you make but South is great at helping you get it. If you look at South stats on APTA website you see that 80% of students there get Fin. aid. Im not too sure about night hours- probably in a Skilled nursing facility but thats about it. Mostly day hours.

Thanks Chris, your answers are really helpful. Are there any options on the hours in the second term because I can't get there in the AM...the earliest would be noon.

Laurie

54 months ago

Its 6pm-930pm on if you do all day tues n thursday. They probably will change the hours in the 2nd term. It was very unorganized this term for some reason. I think they try to keep it night classes or all day 2 days a wk. You would have to check w them though.

54 months ago

Chris in Jupiter, Florida said: Its 6pm-930pm on if you do all day tues n thursday. They probably will change the hours in the 2nd term. It was very unorganized this term for some reason. I think they try to keep it night classes or all day 2 days a wk. You would have to check w them though.

Thanks Chris, I'll ask at my appointment on the 18th.

Debbie in Oklahoma,City in Alvarado, Texas

46 months ago

Do you have to have your basic classes, before you can start a pta program?

Rosy in Cleveland, Ohio

46 months ago

Debbie in Oklahoma,City in Alvarado, Texas said: Do you have to have your basic classes, before you can start a pta program?

Yes, there are basic courses you need to take before getting into the actual program. It is usually an additional year of classes.

daphne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

43 months ago

Chris in Jupiter, Florida said: im am in the first term of south iniversity in WPB right now. it is expensive but I hear that keiser is worse and does not prepare you as well as south. as far as working full time- The first term(10 weeks) is used as a weeding out process. its kinda silly but thats the way it is because there is almost no requirements to get in. you just have to get B's on all your prereques. It has been nuts but you can work some (20hrs a wk) and make it. from there im told it is less intense and you can work a bit more. But working 40hrs during the whole thing is too much.. I will say this too. I have learned more in the past 9 weeks than I thought possible. If you are really focused and serious about it you will do fine and love it. hope I helped. good luck

Hi Chris from Jupiter! im sure by now that you are almost done with the program. How was it overall? Im thinking of applying there. Good idea or should i run for the hills? Im on 20 and the tuition sounds scary but i feel that since i have no real responsibilities (no kids or bills. living with parents) id be able to work and just focus on paying it off after graduation. any advice or thoughts would be soo helpful to me. hope to hear from u soon.

Mel in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

40 months ago

2 months ago

Hello,
I have been reading all blogs that have something to say about Physical Therapy Assistant, because this will be my major. I'm currently attending Broward College. Just wondering if you have enrolled anywhere yet for PTA and what is your insite where ever you have applied at.Being that we're in the same county. I just like to have knowledge on every aspect regarding my major and I like to hear others experiences.I have looked at Keiser and South University but I don't think they will be an option I would choose for now.

rodrigo franceschin in Boca Raton, Florida

40 months ago

Chris in Jupiter, Florida said: No problem. Glad I could help. If your in Boca and take the Turnpike to school its not bad at all. 25-30 min. All the best

hey Chris its been more then 15 months sense you started how's south going ? im thinking of going there but worried i will spend all that money and maybe not get a job.

Rachel L in Deerfield Beach, Florida

40 months ago

Mel in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: daphne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 months ago

Hello,
I have been reading all blogs that have something to say about Physical Therapy Assistant, because this will be my major. I'm currently attending Broward College. Just wondering if you have enrolled anywhere yet for PTA and what is your insite where ever you have applied at.Being that we're in the same county. I just like to have knowledge on every aspect regarding my major and I like to hear others experiences.I have looked at Keiser and South University but I don't think they will be an option I would choose for now.

Hi Mel! I see that you are currently attending Broward College. I am a new student, about to begin my gen-ed classes this Fall, with hopes of being accepted into the PTA course next year. :) How are you liking the program thus far? I understand that that lectures are given via satellite. Do you enjoy this method? The labs are taught by an educator on campus though, correct? Just want to clarify how the curriculum is taught. Thanks!

MEL in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

40 months ago

Rachel L in Deerfield Beach, Florida said: Hi Mel! I see that you are currently attending Broward College. I am a new student, about to begin my gen-ed classes this Fall, with hopes of being accepted into the PTA course next year. :) How are you liking the program thus far? I understand that that lectures are given via satellite. Do you enjoy this method? The labs are taught by an educator on campus though, correct? Just want to clarify how the curriculum is taught. Thanks!

Hey Rachel,

Yes i'm attending BCC but only in my preq as well. I anticipate applying to the program Aug 2012 for the Edison location. I can't answer any of your questions from above, but I too am wondering the same thing.

On another blog I submitted I did get someone whom was just excepted into the program to respond, but only on the tips to being excepted in the program. Maybe we will get someone whom as actually attended this program to give us some insight.

Wishing you well on your endeavors!

Rachel L in Deerfield Beach, Florida

40 months ago

Thank you!! You as well. :)

Rossy in Cleveland, Ohio

38 months ago

Rachel L in Deerfield Beach, Florida said: Thank you!! You as well. :)

Hi Rachel,
Interesting that I started this discusion long ago, I haven't moved yet, but I got in my PTA program. Just moticed that you replied back them, so I am grateful for that.

36 months ago

Mel in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: daphne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 months ago

Hello,

Hi Mel, sorry for the late response. i didnt even know i was responded to til i just re read this thread. click the reply button next time so I'll be notified lol. ok to answer your question, i applied to keiser university. i am on their waiting list however to start May 2014. Ridiculous, I know!! Im only staying on the list because many students have said that these start dates are never accurate and that students get called to start months even years in advance. some students on these lists drop out or dont respond when being contacted and therefore are taken off the list and everyone else on it gets moved up. so to keep my options high i kept myself on the list. Meanwhile, Im still looking at other schools, at the moment, south university. now they told me i can start as soon as January 2012 which is perfect but the catch is 1) its an hour away from me and i dont think my car can do that commute for 2 yrs and 2) theyre asking me alot of money for monthly payments. Im kind of confused at the moment and am seeking advice on what i should do. Im going to put in my 3rd application to BCs program but im not holding my breath since ive been shut down by them twice already. Im in a tough situation right now. Not sure of what to do still. Im just hoping eventually things will turn out well. How have you been doing with your school search?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MEL in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

36 months ago

Hello Daphne,
Thanks for responding! Certain financial sitituations have arised for me with regards to school so i'm not even able to complete my prereq. right now. This whole acceptance things into these schools are crazy. But on the other hand I see why some might pay $40k to get into a private accredited school vs a public. Not sure where I might end up in my career path because it appears I have to take baby steps, but I wish you the best in all your endeavors!

bing in Kissimmee, Florida

34 months ago

daphne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Hi Mel, sorry for the late response. i didnt even know i was responded to til i just re read this thread. click the reply button next time so I'll be notified lol. ok to answer your question, i applied to keiser university. i am on their waiting list however to start May 2014. Ridiculous, I know!! Im only staying on the list because many students have said that these start dates are never accurate and that students get called to start months even years in advance. some students on these lists drop out or dont respond when being contacted and therefore are taken off the list and everyone else on it gets moved up. so to keep my options high i kept myself on the list. Meanwhile, Im still looking at other schools, at the moment, south university. now they told me i can start as soon as January 2012 which is perfect but the catch is 1) its an hour away from me and i dont think my car can do that commute for 2 yrs and 2) theyre asking me alot of money for monthly payments. Im kind of confused at the moment and am seeking advice on what i should do. Im going to put in my 3rd application to BCs program but im not holding my breath since ive been shut down by them twice already. Im in a tough situation right now. Not sure of what to do still. Im just hoping eventually things will turn out well. How have you been doing with your school search?

Hello. I am from kissimmee area but will try to take my placement test in south university west palm beach campus and hopefully pass. I also plan to enroll as PTA student there. We are 3 hours and a half away from the school but if I get admitted to the school we will try to move to jupiter farms fl,which means I will then drive 45- 1 hour depends on the traffic. Good luck .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

bing in Kissimmee, Florida said: Hello. I am from kissimmee area but will try to take my placement test in south university west palm beach campus and hopefully pass. I also plan to enroll as PTA student there. We are 3 hours and a half away from the school but if I get admitted to the school we will try to move to jupiter farms fl,which means I will then drive 45- 1 hour depends on the traffic. Good luck .

Hey. Yea Im going to try to get in for their next start date. I have all the requirements I just have to take their HOBET test of which im gonna start prepping for. Its a 45-1hr drive for me too so it'll be tough if i end up having South University as my last option. Have u taken the test yet? If you have how was it? Good luck to u too!

bing in Jupiter, Florida

33 months ago

i failed the reading comprehension test the third time around so i will not be able to attend south university west palm beach campus,good luck to you.

bing in Jupiter, Florida

33 months ago

TO DAPHNE IN FORT LAUDERDALE: ON THE BRIGHT SIDE I PASSED THE WONDERLIC TEST IN HERZING UNIVERSITY IN WINTER PARK FL. I WILL SEE MEGAN TO CHECK ON MY DOCUMENTS.IF EVEYTHING IS COMPLETED I MIGHT START SCHOOL MARCH THIS YEAR FOR MY PRE REQ'S. I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST.

33 months ago

bing in Jupiter, Florida said: TO DAPHNE IN FORT LAUDERDALE: ON THE BRIGHT SIDE I PASSED THE WONDERLIC TEST IN HERZING UNIVERSITY IN WINTER PARK FL. I WILL SEE MEGAN TO CHECK ON MY DOCUMENTS.IF EVEYTHING IS COMPLETED I MIGHT START SCHOOL MARCH THIS YEAR FOR MY PRE REQ'S. I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST.

Im sorry to hear things didnt work out at South but at least u have other options working out. dont give up. i guess the HOBET is tougher than Im expecting. so Ill definitely have to study a bit. what subjects should i look out for on the test? are there any anatomy questions? any insight would be helpful. thanks

33 months ago

i took the accuplacer test in south university not the hobet test.

33 months ago

daphne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Im sorry to hear things didnt work out at South but at least u have other options working out. dont give up. i guess the HOBET is tougher than Im expecting. so Ill definitely have to study a bit. what subjects should i look out for on the test? are there any anatomy questions? any insight would be helpful. thanks

If I will take different course in south university instead of physical therapy assistant i have a passing score.

33 months ago

bing in Kissimmee, Florida said: i took the accuplacer test in south university not the hobet test.

i didnt have to take the accuplacer. they dont really tell u but you can use ACT or SAT scores as a waiver for the test.

Ryan in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

22 months ago

Chris in Jupiter, Florida said: im am in the first term of south iniversity in WPB right now. it is expensive but I hear that keiser is worse and does not prepare you as well as south. as far as working full time - The first term(10 weeks) is used as a weeding out process. its kinda silly but thats the way it is because there is almost no requirements to get in. you just have to get B's on all your prereques. It has been nuts but you can work some (20hrs a wk) and make it. from there im told it is less intense and you can work a bit more. But working 40hrs during the whole thing is too much.. I will say this too. I have learned more in the past 9 weeks than I thought possible. If you are really focused and serious about it you will do fine and love it. hope I helped. good luck

Hi Chris I just wanted to know if you finished the PTA program at South University and how you liked the experience? How were the teachers? How hard is the program? And how many students started the program and how many made it to the end?

I know South University is expensive but Broward College has a 2 year waiting list, Miami Dade has a 1 year waiting list and Keiser they have shut down the waiting list so maybe 2 years or more! So right now South University is really my only choice...I live in Fort Lauderdale so the drive would be a hour there and a hour back every day:/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.