PTAs! What school did you graduate from and how long did it take you to find a job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

FuturePTA PT? in Pleasanton, California

24 months ago

Did you attend a private school or community college? Do you like where you work? Do you work in OP, SNF, HH?

I am in northern California and I wanted to see if any Carrington graduates got jobs after their program because I am somewhat interested in attending their PTA program. I personally think 45k is worth it for a program if most of it's graduates are getting good jobs.

I am also generally curious about how PTAs are fairing in their areas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PTAgirl in Concord, California

23 months ago

I went to Sac City College..excellent school. recent graduate and just started working a travel job in Oakland. Love it so far. It's OP. It took me about 2 months after taking the test. but I didn't start looking for a while.

good luck. look around at all the options. that's a lot of money.

I think there are a lot of PTA jobs out there but you may need to move to get them. I decided to try travel for a while and see how that goes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

FuturePTA PT? in San Ramon, California

23 months ago

PTAgirl in Concord, California said: I went to Sac City College ..excellent school. recent graduate and just started working a travel job in Oakland. Love it so far. It's OP. It took me about 2 months after taking the test. but I didn't start looking for a while.

good luck. look around at all the options. that's a lot of money.

I think there are a lot of PTA jobs out there but you may need to move to get them. I decided to try travel for a while and see how that goes.

first off,Thank you for your reply

There are only 2 community colleges that offer a PTA program in northern California; Ohlone and SCC which you are already aware of. Carrington is the third private option. I live about 80 miles away from SCC and my closet option is Ohlone in Fremont.

My main concerns are these:My grades are pretty decent, a 3.0 without prereqs because all I have left to take are the science prereqs. But I have no degree and I have read several posts from people who have bachelors degrees who are applying to these programs and I feel I can't compete against a 4 year degree. I do have previous healthcare experience as a caregiver/cna, but I don't think that is enough to stand out.

Also, previously I read on these forums that Ohlones program is not very good, so I am also concerned about being able to do well as a student if I get in. I have heard very good reviews about SCC and pretty good reviews on Carrington as well, but I believe SCC is more competitive than Ohlone from what I have seen.

Of course, spending a lot of money is one of the options but that one obviously isn't the best because it leaves you in debt. even though there is garunteed acceptance into the program.

Oh, and the last thing I am concerned about is if I take PTA 101 at Ohlone will it transfer over to SCC? I don't think I could make that 80 mile trip constantly to re-take the class only for possible admission.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PTAgirl in Concord, California

23 months ago

Those are all valid concerns. I have heard that Ohlone is not a great program, difficult instructors. SCC was truly a great experience and now that I'm working, it's all coming out for me.

I lived 45 miles from the school when I went, which was a drag but doable. Some people commuted from farther away which was difficult. some people found a place to crash during the week since classes were generally 3 nights a week and they went home on weekends. Since the school is relatively less expensive than Carrington, I would just consider that part of your school expense.

Carrington is a newer program, probably not as organized. SCC has been here since the 1990s and the director has streamlined and makes improvements each year. nothing is perfect but it's a great program. And, during clinicals, they try to find you a place near where you live (doesn't always work) but there are probably more choices in the Bay for that. It could be doable for you if you get creative.

Competitive.......yes. everyone is going back to school now. last year there were at least 400 applicants for 30 spots. but it doesn't work on a points system, it's a lottery and based on how many times you apply. as long as your grades were above a C in the prereqs and all classes are completed, you're in the running.

go to an informational meeting, they have then first Thurs each month.

PTA 101 is not transferable. SCC PTA 101 does have an online class that you only show up for one or two classes.

Good luck. get creative and see if it's something you can do. the drive is not great but if you stayed over 2 mights a week in Sac you could do it and have even more time to study.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

futurePTA PT? in Livermore, California

23 months ago

PTAgirl in Concord, California said: Those are all valid concerns. I have heard that Ohlone is not a great program, difficult instructors. SCC was truly a great experience and now that I'm working, it's all coming out for me.

I lived 45 miles from the school when I went, which was a drag but doable. Some people commuted from farther away which was difficult. some people found a place to crash during the week since classes were generally 3 nights a week and they went home on weekends. Since the school is relatively less expensive than Carrington, I would just consider that part of your school expense.

Carrington is a newer program, probably not as organized. SCC has been here since the 1990s and the director has streamlined and makes improvements each year. nothing is perfect but it's a great program. And, during clinicals, they try to find you a place near where you live (doesn't always work) but there are probably more choices in the Bay for that. It could be doable for you if you get creative.

Competitive.......yes. everyone is going back to school now. last year there were at least 400 applicants for 30 spots. but it doesn't work on a points system, it's a lottery and based on how many times you apply. as long as your grades were above a C in the prereqs and all classes are completed, you're in the running.

go to an informational meeting, they have then first Thurs each month.

PTA 101 is not transferable. SCC PTA 101 does have an online class that you only show up for one or two classes.

Good luck. get creative and see if it's something you can do. the drive is not great but if you stayed over 2 mights a week in Sac you could do it and have even more time to study.

Thanks for your advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

N in Newark, California

16 months ago

Hello Everyone! This info might help you: new PTA program was opened in San Mateo, CA. The school name is Gurnick Academy. It looks like the cost on their website is different.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.