Question for PTAs about Physical strength needed for job, I have metal plates in arm

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Auburn in Auburn, New York

35 months ago

Hi I am currently looking into studying to become a PTA. I was in a bad car accident about 10 years ago and have metal plates and screws in my right arm. It does limit my actions to a certain degree. Some constant movements will bother and hurt my arm, mostly when done repeatedly over a long period of time. I know I could never have a proffesion where I have to type all day, because if I type for a couple of hours my arm is sore. I can't lift really heavy things up with one hand, like a bowling ball or heavy suitcase. It seems when the weight pulls on my wrist, that is when it hurts. I can't twist heavy objects with that wrist or open stuck jars, that will cause pain. But I have no problem with alot of things like pushing something heavy or holding a heavy object by the arm, not by the wrist. Doing different movements all day would be better than the same repetitive arm actions. With this being said, does anyone with PTA experience think I will have any issues with being a PTA? The rest of my body is strong, just my right arm is the issue. Being a PTA appeals to me because I like helping people, I like the fact that you may be helping the same people for an extended period of time, and I like being able to follow a set plan. I also like to travel and am definitely looking for a career that I can take travel jobs with. Does anyone else have a similar issue with their arm or have an opinion from their experience? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bluelineman in McKinney, Texas

35 months ago

I wouldn't worry about it. Different settings have different work requirements. Outpatient & home health probably have the least lifting requirements. In the other settings you can use both arms for lifting or have someone help. Lifting technique has a lot to do with it too. In school & clinicals you will learn proper lifting techniques that make a big difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.