Salary For Experienced Physical Therapist Assistant.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 81)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Jack Levy in Lake Worth, Florida

73 months ago

How much does a PTA make as a traveler in Hawaii. I have 14years experience working in many settings such as snf, hospital, home care, out patient. I am an older PTA age 59. Thanks for your feedback.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Baltimore, Maryland

72 months ago

I have seventeen years experience and have made $32.oo per hour with benefits in a nursing home setting, $35.00 - $38.00 hr. PRN in hospital/rehab setting, $40.00 hr. plus in home health, and $30.00 hr. out patient setting. Agencies/PRN pays more. You have to weigh out the benefits verses none.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jack in Lake Worth, Florida

72 months ago

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Baltimore, Maryland

72 months ago

jim in Syracuse, New York said: I am a PTA with 8 plus years experience; all of them in the outpatient setting. I currently make slightly over 21.00 per hour without benefits; I am on my wife's insurance. Last year I saw over 3,200 people; I average seeing between 15 to 20 people a day. Am I getting ripped off here?? If someone has some valuable feedback, please let me know.

That sounds about right especially if you are in an outpatient office. Outpatient pays less than inpatient. Usu. in a hospital or nursing home a PRN rate is accross the board running about $30.00-$35.00 whether you are a new grad or have experience. I work at an outpatient office - privately owned without insur. for $28.00 per hour with 17 years experience. I am not happy with the rate since I also work PRN for a hospital at $35.00. I think if you negotiated with an inpatient facility, you could get what you are being paid WITH benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlene Sentelle Snapp in Takoma Park, Maryland

72 months ago

Amy,
Would you know any licensed PTAs that would like a position in Bethesda, MD at the Naval Hospital??

Thanks,
Charlene Sentelle Snapp
<Edited by Host: Contact info removed>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Windsor Mill, Maryland

71 months ago

No I don't. That's quite a drive from my place of residence which is not Windsor Mill and I only know local therapists that aren't looking to change jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlene Sentelle Snapp in Takoma Park, Maryland

71 months ago

Thank you for your response.

Charlene

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Columbus, Ohio

71 months ago

I would like to go to school for PTA but i can not find a school close to where i live. I am willing to relocate if that is what it takes. Any suggestions? anybody?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sugarmusk in Westminster, Maryland

71 months ago

Google: Ohio Physical Therapy Association

It will show you all the schools in your area offering the PTA program. Usually the PTA programs are in a community college.

Lisa in Columbus, Ohio

71 months ago

Thank you so much, I appreciate your quick response.

Jack in Winter Haven, Florida

71 months ago

AVOID by all means working for SALUS rehab. Since the new president, Chris Bennett, took over, SALUS rehab has become a place where the therapy staff who are professionals, are treated worst than factory workers. Lack of respect, lies, 100%+ productivy required or else you go home early. The president, who is herself an OT, thinks that the therapy staff are her worst enemies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

maral young in Glendale, California

71 months ago

Can a PT graduate take a PTA board? and work as a PT ASSist?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

maral young in Glendale, California said: Can a PT graduate take a PTA board? and work as a PT ASSist?

Why would you want to do that????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Denver, Colorado

71 months ago

Any feedback on salaries in the Denver suburbs for a PTA?

Are jobs plentiful?

Anyone get their degree from Arapahoe Community College? If so, any feedback?

Jack Levy in Lake Worth, Florida

45 months ago

I was recently a PTA prior to graduating via the bridge program to a DPT. Receiving my Doctorate at the age of 61 was more of a personal desire then a necessity. My question is,now that I am getting close to that golden age of 65 are there jobs opportunities for me at this late date or are the hospitals and contract companies looking for the younger more energetic therapists.

Terry in Salinas, California

45 months ago

Jack Levy in Lake Worth, Florida said: I was recently a PTA prior to graduating via the bridge program to a DPT. Receiving my Doctorate at the age of 61 was more of a personal desire then a necessity. My question is,now that I am getting close to that golden age of 65 are there jobs opportunities for me at this late date or are the hospitals and contract companies looking for the younger more energetic therapists.

Plenty of jobs out there!!!

If you're 65 then you are a baby boomer. Which means the field is going to be in dramatic need for the next 20 years of PT's. If you look on various websites in cluding the APTA, Advance Magazine for physical therapy you'll notice that there aren't enough PT's to go around. You can basically pick and choose where you want to go and whatever specialty you want to be in.

Terry in Salinas, California

45 months ago

Plenty of jobs out there!!!

If you're 65 then you are a baby boomer. Which means the field is going to be in dramatic need for the next 20 years of PT's. If you look on various websites in cluding the APTA, Advance Magazine for physical therapy you'll notice that there aren't enough PT's to go around. You can basically pick and choose where you want to go and whatever specialty you want to be in.

kim koponen in Jacksonville, Florida

33 months ago

Im having a tough time finding permanant PTA job in jack fl area, is the market that tight ??????

33 months ago

I can't speak for the Jacksonville area, but in South Florida no problem. I get at least two post cards a week from SNF's, home health, and contract companies requesting for full time PTA's. At present I work for four contract companies for home pt tx. I see approx eight patients a day at a rate of $50.00 a visit. The rate I contracted is for both medicare and private insurance. Medicare is 45min visit with private ins 30 min visits minimal. That's approx $2,000.00 a week. The only down side is I am a contact therapist so I'm paid on a 1099 for taxes, with no vacation, sick time pay or insurance. I use my wifes insurance so I don't loose in that one. The hours are great and if you have siris in your car (the office is your car) the enviroment is your choosing so you are your own boss. I've been doing it for ten years and love it. Good Luck...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

PTA in Weston, Florida

33 months ago

Jack in Lake Worth, Florida said: I can't speak for the Jacksonville area, but in South Florida no problem. I get at least two post cards a week from SNF's, home health, and contract companies requesting for full time PTA's. At present I work for four contract companies for home pt tx. I see approx eight patients a day at a rate of $50.00 a visit. The rate I contracted is for both medicare and private insurance. Medicare is 45min visit with private ins 30 min visits minimal. That's approx $2,000.00 a week. The only down side is I am a contact therapist so I'm paid on a 1099 for taxes, with no vacation, sick time pay or insurance. I use my wifes insurance so I don't loose in that one. The hours are great and if you have siris in your car (the office is your car) the enviroment is your choosing so you are your own boss. I've been doing it for ten years and love it. Good Luck...

Jack, what do you mean by "home pt tx", home physical therapy ?? I didn't think PTAs doing home health physical therapy in South Florida could make $50/hr. I've heard of $35/hr but not $50/hr. Can you elaborate? Are you working in Palm Beach County doing home health PTA work? I'm in Broward.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jack in Lake Worth, Florida

33 months ago

PTA in Weston, Florida said: Jack, what do you mean by "home pt tx", home physical therapy ?? I didn't think PTAs doing home health physical therapy in South Florida could make $50/hr. I've heard of $35/hr but not $50/hr. Can you elaborate? Are you working in Palm Beach County doing home health PTA work? I'm in Broward.

I'm sorry to hear your being taken advantage of. I work for (5) different contract companies for the past (5) years and three of them pay me $45.00 a visit and two of them pay me $50.00 a visit. If I was you I would be calling around and be firm about at least $45.00 a visit. Once you find a company paying that amount tell your $35.00 company watch it or Goodbye..

33 months ago

To continue....I work in Palm Beach County, Fl as a PTA in Home Care...My territory is Boynton Beach, Greenacres, Lantana, Lake Worth, Palm Beach, Palm Springs, and Hypoluxo. I drive approx 50 miles a day and see approx 8 patients. I make anywhere from $360.00 to 400.00 a week depending which contract company I take patients from.

33 months ago

CORRECTION>>>> THAT'S $360.00 to $400.00 a DAY not a week....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

CORRECTION.....That amount is per day...$360.00 to $400.00 PER DAY...sorry for the mishap...

PTA in Weston, Florida

33 months ago

Thanks Jack!! This is great info and good to know.

PTA in Weston, Florida

33 months ago

Jack, how many years of experience as a PTA did you have before you started doing Home Care as a PTA? I've heard people say it's good to wait before getting into home care, but my questions are: a) for how long should one wait? and b) Why is it better to wait rather than do it right away. I've read on these forums people saying they went straight to home care as a PTA and that they weren't ready and had to quit. Could you shed some light on the when and why? Thanks a million!

bluelineman in McKinney, Texas

33 months ago

Well I'm not Jack, but I am a PTA with 21 years experience & currently work in home health. Basically you need enough experience in various settings because you will be working alone. You need to have the confidence, experience, ability to make decisions, and be well organized. Where I work I can get in touch with the PT's via phone, email, text, etc but you don't want to keep bugging them. And if they are with a patient you usually can't get them right away anyway. You will need to develop a good relationship with the PT's (as in any setting) so that they will give you patients & feel confident in your abilities. I usually recommend people take on some PRN visits to start with. This will give you experience, extra money & also let you know if it is for you.

33 months ago

Bluelineman is correct. I started working in a SNF out of college for five years. Then I worked in a Hospital setting for a few years. One year in an Outpatient setting and then Home PT care. Bottom line is, you are on your own. Your in someones home. They expect you to be on time. They expect you get them well and independent in there home or as close to that as possible. You never know what type of patient you'll be getting. It could be neuro, ortho, cardiac,cva etc. It could be a quad or a para, a down synd, ca, ms. It could be a SBA, MAX or a total assist. You have little equip to use, little if no help to assist you, and most of the time so many personalities to deal with, not only from the patients but from the families. You are basically 100% on your own. If you can't think on your feet, if you don't have good assessment and treatment skills, this is not the place to work. I love it because it gives me a challenge every time.

ImPTA in Castro Valley, California

32 months ago

Is there anybody here who knows how much Kaiser Permanente pays hourly for a PTA in the Bay Area?

JoesLove in Jacksonville, North Carolina

31 months ago

PTA in weston, had a quick question for you. I am from broward, and hubby and I plan to move back due to more schooling opportunities there. Is the market good for PTA's there? It seems like it is from what I have read, I have my hopes set low and hoping to at least find a job making $20 an hour so I can at least support my hubby while he is trucking through med school (or hopefully is). Any insight would be great!

PTA in Hollywood, Florida

31 months ago

JoesLove,

There are some PTA opps in the area, mostly in SNF. However, I am seeing fewer jobs listed for PTAs in South Florida. The problem is that there is a saturation of PTAs in the high population counties. On the other hand, Central Florida, i.e. Orlando/Apopka area, has many more opportunities. So PTA jobs are more abundant in rural areas in Florida. Good luck.

31 months ago

JoesLove in Jacksonville, North Carolina said: PTA in weston, had a quick question for you. I am from broward, and hubby and I plan to move back due to more schooling opportunities there. Is the market good for PTA's there? It seems like it is from what I have read, I have my hopes set low and hoping to at least find a job making $20 an hour so I can at least support my hubby while he is trucking through med school (or hopefully is). Any insight would be great!

I'm a PTA located in Lake Worth Florida. I work in the homecare field. The agencies I work for are always looking for qualified PTA's and Pt's. If your interested leave me your email address on a reply post and I'll email you the contract agengies and phone numbers...I'm contracted at rates that vary between $35.00 visit for HMO 30min Treats to $50.00 for Medicare treats....I average 40-50 visits a week and gross approx $2,000.00 wkly. Your taxes are done on a 1099 and all expenses and insurances etc. are out of your own pocket. But your working on a one to one basis within telephone ctc only with the Pt. Basically you are your own boss. I love it, been doing it exclusively since 2001.

bluelineman in McKinney, Texas

31 months ago

Jack in Lake Worth, Florida said: I'm a PTA located in Lake Worth Florida. I work in the homecare field. The agencies I work for are always looking for qualified PTA's and Pt's. If your interested leave me your email address on a reply post and I'll email you the contract agengies and phone numbers...I'm contracted at rates that vary between $35.00 visit for HMO 30min Treats to $50.00 for Medicare treats....I average 40-50 visits a week and gross approx $2,000.00 wkly. Your taxes are done on a 1099 and all expenses and insurances etc. are out of your own pocket. But your working on a one to one basis within telephone ctc only with the Pt. Basically you are your own boss. I love it, been doing it exclusively since 2001.

Do you know any home health companies in Melbourne or Brevard County? We might be moving there next year.

PTA in Weston, Florida

31 months ago

Jack,

Please send me the contract agencies names and phone numbers that you are using to ptaweston@gmail.com

Some question... How many years experience do these agencies require? How are you managing 40-50 visits per week, that's 10 per day!! How many hours per day/week are you working? And how many miles are you traveling between jobs?

Thank you!

31 months ago

PTA in Weston, Florida said: Jack,

Please send me the contract agencies names and phone numbers that you are using to ptaweston@gmail.com

Some question... How many years experience do these agencies require? How are you managing 40-50 visits per week, that's 10 per day!! How many hours per day/week are you working? And how many miles are you traveling between jobs?

Thank you!

You need at least one year of working as a PTA before you can enter the homecare field. My opinion is you should not enter the homecare field unless you feel you are capable to work alone. Your correct in your assumption that 10 visits a day in a five day week is questionable. However the week has seven days. I contracted a specific area. I sometimes have patients only 2 to 10 miles from each other. It's very important that you stay in an area you know you can handle to see a number of patient's without spending free time driving. Miles spent driving is time lost and time lost is money lost.

Amar in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

Jack in Lake Worth, Florida said: You need at least one year of working as a PTA before you can enter the homecare field. My opinion is you should not enter the homecare field unless you feel you are capable to work alone. Your correct in your assumption that 10 visits a day in a five day week is questionable. However the week has seven days. I contracted a specific area. I sometimes have patients only 2 to 10 miles from each other. It's very important that you stay in an area you know you can handle to see a number of patient's without spending free time driving. Miles spent driving is time lost and time lost is money lost.

Hello Jack,
I am new here and I have got my PTA licenses recently and I want to start work in Delaware state. Could you give me some advice How should I start to work? I have 5 years experience in my country but here I am new. which agency is good for me? my is is saibaba633@gmail.com

29 months ago

Amar in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Hello Jack,
I am new here and I have got my PTA licenses recently and I want to start work in Delaware state. Could you give me some advice How should I start to work? I have 5 years experience in my country but here I am new. which agency is good for me? my is is saibaba633@gmail.com

I wish I could assist you but I'm not from that region of the country. If you were in South Florida I would be able to recommend agencies. However I would like to direct you to the following web sites in your area. Therapy Jobs.com I Hire Therapy.com Indeed.com Good Luck.....

29 months ago

Jack in Lake Worth, Florida said: I wish I could assist you but I'm not from that region of the country. If you were in South Florida I would be able to recommend agencies. However I would like to direct you to the following web sites in your area. Therapy Jobs.com I Hire Therapy.com Indeed.com Good Luck.....

Thank you so much.:-) What is avg. pay rates for SNF in your area?

29 months ago

Amar in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Thank you so much.:-) What is avg. pay rates for SNF in your area?

If you work through a contract company and eliminate some of the perks they offer you could make up to $45.00 per hour. That's top end but can be done if you shop around and play hard ball. I constantly get post cards mailed to me from these contract companies offing high pay for in house snf. However my SNF days are long gone behind me. I love home PT as I stated in my past posts. If you do choose to work SNF PLEASE NEGOTIATE what you want not what they offer. When I worked in a SNF I got paid extra to work weekends. I was guaranteed 8hours pay even if the patient load didn't provide that. If I was sent to another SNF I was paid for gas. I had my license, CEU's medical exam, CPR, etc all paid for by the company I worked for. Meet the PT's you are going to work with and interview them. THAT RIGHT...INTERVIEW THEM. Don't be afraid of them. If they are impressed with there titles, or have a bully mentality run. You want total freedom, equal input, and right to partcipate with poc, d/c planning etc. Remember as a PTA you will be that patients treating therapist. Good luck

29 months ago

jack in Lake Worth, Florida said: If you work through a contract company and eliminate some of the perks they offer you could make up to $45.00 per hour. That's top end but can be done if you shop around and play hard ball. I constantly get post cards mailed to me from these contract companies offing high pay for in house snf. However my SNF days are long gone behind me. I love home PT as I stated in my past posts. If you do choose to work SNF PLEASE NEGOTIATE what you want not what they offer. When I worked in a SNF I got paid extra to work weekends. I was guaranteed 8hours pay even if the patient load didn't provide that. If I was sent to another SNF I was paid for gas. I had my license, CEU's medical exam, CPR, etc all paid for by the company I worked for. Meet the PT's you are going to work with and interview them. THAT RIGHT...INTERVIEW THEM. Don't be afraid of them. If they are impressed with there titles, or have a bully mentality run. You want total freedom, equal input, and right to partcipate with poc, d/c planning etc. Remember as a PTA you will be that patients treating therapist. Good luck

Thank you so much Jack. Could you advice me some companies name or contact information ?

29 months ago

Amar in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Thank you so much Jack. Could you advice me some companies name or contact information ?

If your interested in Palm Beach County in Florida leave me your email address and I'll send them to you. Advise me if you want SNF, Home Care, Outpatient or Acute care. I can't help you with Delaware or Phil etc.

Krista PTA in Deerfield Beach, Florida

29 months ago

Jack in Lake Worth, Florida said: If your interested in Palm Beach County in Florida leave me your email address and I'll send them to you. Advise me if you want SNF, Home Care, Outpatient or Acute care. I can't help you with Delaware or Phil etc.

Hey Jack! I am a relatively new to the PT field, graduated in May 2011 and began working in a hospital in fort lauderdale per diem. I would like to get some advice from other PT/PTA veterans about home health, traveling jobs and other facilities that you may know about. My goal is to get as much experience as I can working in different areas ie. Actue care & OP before I entertain traveling as a PTA. Any advice/suggestions is appreciated! thanks for your time!

29 months ago

Krista PTA in Deerfield Beach, Florida said: Hey Jack! I am a relatively new to the PT field, graduated in May 2011 and began working in a hospital in fort lauderdale per diem. I would like to get some advice from other PT/PTA veterans about home health, traveling jobs and other facilities that you may know about. My goal is to get as much experience as I can working in different areas ie. Actue care & OP before I entertain traveling as a PTA. Any advice/suggestions is appreciated! thanks for your time!

I recommend working in a SNF and Acute care. Here you will gain significant knowledge on the failures and successes of how the human body and mind work. Also working with nurses and physician and other health care professionals whether it's in care meetings or team meetings or just one on one, you can't beat the experience you will get. Stay away from the outpatient clinics they pay nothing and if the case load is small they will send you home with no pay. Homecare is tough, your working alone dealing with most everything and you have to think quickly on your feet to survive. If you question your skills stay away from homecare. Good Luck.

Krista PTA in Deerfield Beach, Florida

29 months ago

Jack in Lake Worth, Florida said: I recommend working in a SNF and Acute care. Here you will gain significant knowledge on the failures and successes of how the human body and mind work. Also working with nurses and physician and other health care professionals whether it's in care meetings or team meetings or just one on one, you can't beat the experience you will get. Stay away from the outpatient clinics they pay nothing and if the case load is small they will send you home with no pay. Homecare is tough, your working alone dealing with most everything and you have to think quickly on your feet to survive. If you question your skills stay away from homecare. Good Luck.

Thank you for your advice. Do you know any good PT companies that organize traveling PTA jobs?

PTA in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

Sugarmusk in Westminster, Maryland said: Google: Ohio Physical Therapy Association

It will show you all the schools in your area offering the PTA program. Usually the PTA programs are in a community college.

Go to www.collegeview.com you can search by major and location. It also has direct links to the school's web page.

PTA in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

I have new grads that took SNF jobs, $47,000 right out of school. The ink on the license was still wet!

Colten in Roscoe, Illinois

28 months ago

Hello all! Thanks for all the information. I'm looking into either PTA or a pilot degree, and i just have one question! Do employers look at the school you went to when you got your PTA degree/license? Im looking at St. Petersburg College in St Pete, or Broward College in Fort Lauderdale. There are no colleges around me that offer it! So why not just go to florida lol!

Thanks in advance!

Colten in Roscoe, Illinois

28 months ago

Forgot another thing!
Reason being that when a pilot applies for a job and the employer is going to look at schooling and from what i've seen many go to Embry Riddle, you pay more for the name but it gets you the job! Where i would be looking into Broward College in Fort Lauderdale.

28 months ago

All they care about is that you hold a valid license from the State in which you will be working.

28 months ago

They only care that you hold a current valid license.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.