Seeking a Volunteer Opportunity for PTA Requirement in New Jersey

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (39)

DJ Saw in Teaneck, New Jersey

40 months ago

Hello,

I live in Teaneck, NJ and I'm enrolled at UCC. I'm required to volunteer at a physical therapy related department/clinic for a minimum of 25 hours before applying to the actual PTA program.

I've been looking locally and also at nearby hospitals without any luck. I am motivated to learn about the work environment and the basic day to day functions in a PT setting so I am planning to volunteer more than the minimum.

Can anyone advise or does anyone on this forum need assistance? I am a responsible and hard working individual. I also have a bachelor's in accounting so I worked in an environment which required detail and organization. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Future PTA in Chandler, Arizona

40 months ago

You really shouldn't need much help to get in to a place. The key is to visit places IN PERSON. Hospitals are the most difficult, they tend to be loaded with red tape. Make sure you visit the therapy department directly, going to voluteer services will be a total time waster, they likely won't even understand what it is you want.

Try outpatient. Those are easy to get into. Make a list of places in your area. Dress nicely, set aside an afternoon, and visit them. You will have a spot by that afternoon, I can almost guarantee it.

If you have been rejected in person, then it is just bad luck. I got rejected at the first three places I went to. Luckily, I got accepted at all of the next three. Keep trying and you will find a place. Persistence and showing up in person are the keys...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Thanks for the advice, I've just visited a few hospitals and a rehab center. I will check around for outpatient clinics. Hope to get some work soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Future PTA in Chandler, Arizona

40 months ago

Good luck

Mr Mo in Westfield, New Jersey

32 months ago

Hi DJ Saw -- It's been 7 months after your post. I am planning to attend UCC and apply for the PHTA curriculum next spring 2013. I am also a second career changer. How did the volunteering go and how is the PHTA program going for you. Any advise would help.

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Hello Mr. Mo,

Yes, it's been awhile since my last post that I completely forgot I posted here LOL.

Anyway I took the advice of Future PTA and found a place to volunteer. I had to get a physical and a drug test, but the director was really nice and flexible. I volunteered at a sub-acute facility with mostly elderly patients.

Since I transfered most of the prerequisite courses from my previous major, I went to UCC as a part-timer last year. Waiting to get the acceptance letter for the program was a bit unnerving, but I was able to get in. As a second career changer I feel my back is against the wall because I don't want to go back to my old career and I'm still not sure if this is the right career move for myself. Still, the only way to know is to try.

Orientation for the program was actually yesterday and I start my first class tomorrow. There are 32 students each year, but we met with the previous year's students and only 19 were left. One of the professors also stated that 1/3 of us will not make it to graduation and having a part-time job is not recommended. She said we need to have a mindset that we are in graduate school and to not take things for granted just because it is an associate's degree program. One of the students from last year said that he got straight A's in school, but could not get one A in the program. As usual, registering, financial aid, and purchasing books has been hectic, but it will probably be a quick year like most years. I hope to buckle down and focus on my studies so that I can graduate next year!

To get into the program you will need to finish your volunteer work and get good grades from your prerequisites. It's a bit obvious, but I do recommend that you try hard to get A's in your prerequisite courses as the acceptance process is highly competitive. I wish you good luck and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask and I will try to answer with the best of my knowledge.

Regards,
DJ Saw

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Hi DJ Saw,

Congratulations to getting in the PHTA program at UCC! It's great that you are pursuing the program even if you're not sure if it is the right career choice but, maybe things will be for the better. PTA is a very recession proof profession and one can go anywhere in the US with this career. I realized you are going to be busy soon so, I just have a few questions regarding the UCC experience.

Since you already have a Bachelors degree in accounting, were you able to apply for FAFSA? How much is the cost of the program, is it based on per credit depending of your residency or is it a flat fee for everybody? I graduated William Paterson Univ in 2003, my prerequisites courses are over 10 years old and I just need to take A&P I, will the rest carry over to UCC? Do you have to be enrolled part time at UCC taking prerequisite courses before you can do volunteer work at a sub-acute facility?

I wish you good luck too and enjoy your time in UCC and beyond.

Thanks,
Mr. Mo

32 months ago

Mr. Mo,

Thanks for the comments. When I applied for FAFSA, I was told that I may have exceeded the total amount of undergraduate aid that I could borrow since I had a bachelor's, but I was still able to get an unsubsidized loan that was enough to pay for my tuition and books for the Spring semester. I will need to apply for the 2012'2013 FAFSA to see if I'm eligible for aid in the fall and next spring. I also took out a private student loan at a bank to cover living expenses, but I'm having trouble with the school for disbursement. The cost of the program is per credit basis and I pay more since I'm out of county. You will probably need to check with a counselor about transferring credits. I took Bio 105, English and math more than ten years ago, but they accepted it. Still, I took a psychology honors class at another community college and they didn't except it for Psych 101 which was disappointing. I actually took a Psych. CLEP exam at William Paterson last year to get credit for it. It's probably a good idea to be enrolled at the school and declare that you're trying to get into the PTA program before starting the volunteer work.

My first day has already been quite hectic!

Good luck to you as well!

-DJ Saw

32 months ago

Thank you for all your answers about the PHTA program in UCC. It is great to know all of these information before I can enroll. Please do update us at the end of the semester on your progress :)

Regards,
Mr. Mo

32 months ago

Thank you for all your answers about the PHTA program in UCC. It is great to know all of these information before I can enroll. Please do update us at the end of the semester on your progress :)

Regards,
Mr. Mo

32 months ago

Sure, no problem!

I just finished my first full week and it is quite a workload! I see how being very organized helps right now.

By the way, I was going to school part-time last year and one thing I wish now is that I should have briefly looked into some physical therapy books. If you have time before you get into the program, it will definitely help even though you may not understand everything by the readings, you're going to find out that there are many new terms that you need to know and it won't hurt to take a look at them.

-DJ Saw

sallyr in Westfield, New Jersey

31 months ago

DJ SAW, I am also thinking of doing the PTA program but I have to work during the day. Are all the classes only offered during the day?

31 months ago

Sallyr,

I can't say how the schedule is like every year, but this year all the classes are in the morning and they are long so they last until the late afternoon.

It is also not recommended to work part time. People who are not even working like me are having difficulties with time management. I can't imagine having a job right now. I recommend getting a loan to pay for your tuition and living expenses or use money that you may have in savings. Also grants are available if you are eligible. It's a tough decision to make and it's not impossible if you really need to work as I know that there have been successful graduates of the program who had part time jobs.

Hope this helps.

-DJ SAW

PTA student in Bayonne, New Jersey

30 months ago

DJ Saw in Teaneck, New Jersey said: Sallyr,

I can't say how the schedule is like every year, but this year all the classes are in the morning and they are long so they last until the late afternoon.

It is also not recommended to work part time. People who are not even working like me are having difficulties with time management. I can't imagine having a job right now. I recommend getting a loan to pay for your tuition and living expenses or use money that you may have in savings. Also grants are available if you are eligible. It's a tough decision to make and it's not impossible if you really need to work as I know that there have been successful graduates of the program who had part time jobs.

Hope this helps.

-DJ SAW

Hey Sallyr and DJ, i'm also currently attenting UCC. I had a job with a good pay couple months prior and thought, hmmm, maybe i can just go to school part-time and finish all my prerequisites with no rush. Bad idea, my job was was in a finacial crisis and i eventually left. Whats more sad is now i have to stack up on all my classes because im hoping on getting into the program next spring (2013) I'm taking my Bio 105-106 in the summer express course, just to catch up. I heard it's intense but those are the only classes i'm actually more focused on. I have finished most of the prereqs just gotta finish all the reuiered ones before applying for the program. I had to take a loan out though for the summer since there isn't any fininacial aid. Are any of you applying for next years as well? Let me hear from you.

Yohan

PTA student in Bayonne, New Jersey

30 months ago

Hey Sallyr and DJ, i'm also currently attenting UCC. I had a job with a good pay couple months prior and thought, hmmm, maybe i can just go to school part-time and finish all my prerequisites with no rush. Bad idea, my job was was in a finacial crisis and i eventually left. Whats more sad is now i have to stack up on all my classes because im hoping on getting into the program next spring (2013) I'm taking my Bio 105-106 in the summer express course, just to catch up. I heard it's intense but those are the only classes i'm actually more focused on. I have finished most of the prereqs just gotta finish all the reuiered ones before applying for the program. I had to take a loan out though for the summer since there isn't any fininacial aid. Are any of you applying for next years as well? Let me hear from you.

Yohan

Yohan in Bayonne, New Jersey

27 months ago

DJ Saw in Teaneck, New Jersey said: Sallyr,

Hope this helps.

-DJ SAW

Hey DJSAW, how is the program going? How arduous is it? I spoke to one of the coordinators at UCC, Janet Rocko, she adviced me that anyone applying for the program with "C's" in their Bio classes, would most likely not get into the program. Is this true? How were your grades before applying? Any info would be of much help. I am applying for the 2013 semester.

27 months ago

Hi Yohan,

I just finished the summer semester last week and it was super quick as well as intense. I'm sorry, but I don't have information regarding grades, but I can understand why you need a higher grade than a C in the Bio classes because they are basic courses that will help build the foundation you will need to continue in the program. Just to tell you I had no C's in any of the prerequisite courses.

I wish I could be more informative about the program, but due to confidentiality issues and the fact that I'm currently in the program makes this difficult.

I hope you get in. Please do your best and good luck!

-DJ

Yohan in Bayonne, New Jersey

27 months ago

Hey DJ. Thank you so much for the info. It really did help and am sure things must be kept confidential during the program so it's so problem. Will be applying for next years program, hopefully i get in. Hopefully you do well too and finish! Good luck DJ.

ddonahue in Vincentown, New Jersey

22 months ago

How challenging/intense is the full time pta program @ UCC and workload? Are you able to work or is it very stressful?

22 months ago

Do you like the PTA UCC Program or how manageable is it with a job? Can you fill me in on which classes you feel were extremely stressful?

Thanks!!

Esther123 in Palisades Park, New Jersey

22 months ago

Hi DJ Saw,

Im not sure if you still check this forum, but I live around your area and am looking for a place to put in my physical therapy aid hours. Where in north jersey did you find a place to volunteer?

Any info would be great.

DJ Saw in New Jersey

22 months ago

Esther123 in Palisades Park, New Jersey said: Hi DJ Saw,

Im not sure if you still check this forum, but I live around your area and am looking for a place to put in my physical therapy aid hours. Where in north jersey did you find a place to volunteer?

Any info would be great.

Hi Esther123,

I get emailed whenever there is a new response to this thread so I do check it sometimes. I'm just really busy so I haven't visited recently.
It has been quite an intense ride so far for me personally as I wasn't expecting it to be this challenging.

Due to confidentiality issues, I cannot tell you where I volunteered, but don't worry because there are many places that require physical therapy such as hospitals, acute care, outpatient and sports rehab clinic etc. Try to google them around your area and then you probably should visit them directly to show your interest in volunteering.

Sorry I can't be of further help, but that is what I did. Good luck!

DJ Saw in New Jersey

22 months ago

DJ Saw in New Jersey said: Hi Esther123,

I get emailed whenever there is a new response to this thread so I do check it sometimes. I'm just really busy so I haven't visited recently.
It has been quite an intense ride so far for me personally as I wasn't expecting it to be this challenging.

Due to confidentiality issues, I cannot tell you where I volunteered, but don't worry because there are many places that require physical therapy such as hospitals, acute care, outpatient and sports rehab clinic etc. Try to google them around your area and then you probably should visit them directly to show your interest in volunteering.

Sorry I can't be of further help, but that is what I did.

By the way, I lived in Pal Park for 5 years. I wish I could go back there. Good luck!

DJ Saw in New Jersey

22 months ago

ddonahue in Vincentown, New Jersey said: Do you like the PTA UCC Program or how manageable is it with a job? Can you fill me in on which classes you feel were extremely stressful?

Thanks!!

Hi ddonahue,

Yes, it is a challenging program and it is only full time at UCC. There have been students who worked part time. Some didn't make it, some are struggling, and others are doing fine so it really all depends on the student. That said it is not recommended to work during the program and you may have to cut hours as you go deeper into the later semesters because you will be working full time at a clinic.

I don't know how to answer your question about "enjoying" the program lol. It is stressful no doubt about it. In a way it is good to know this because for me I felt like I was thrown into the fire so to speak and I didn't expect it to be the way it is. It is also hard for me because I am a career changer and I still have doubts sometimes about my choice to change careers particularly because my previous work is basically 180 degrees different from physical therapy. The challenge for me mainly is the social aspect of it all because instead of a desk job, you will be interacting with patients everyday and working on their bodies to recover. I'm relatively book smart, but this program requires much more than that. Anyone can pass these exams and practicals, but can you also learn to interact with people? It may sound easy but for someone like me it is a challenge. I think if you are good with people or have some customer service experience or you have an outgoing personality, half the work is done because that will help you a lot in this field. That doesn't mean if you are reserved you can't make it in this field, but you may have to work at interacting and managing different personalities that you will see out in the real world.

Hope this helps and good luck!

22 months ago

Thanks for your feedback DJ. Yes, I love interacting with people and can talk to pretty much anyone. I truly feel I will love it once I become one and can start a normal lifestyle routine. I worked as a PT aide after doing sales, marketing, management for 3 yrs which was an insane 100+ job and traveling all over NJ as well. it burnt me out and i through myself back into school for some pre reqs for pt. I also finished my teaching degree K-5, but now feel I am more devoted to being a pta in the long run ( stability, fulfillment, family/life balance, pay, hours, different settings, wearing casual clothes) etc. I have a few job offers, but I just got accepted into UCC"s program which I feel is a 1 chance opportunity/blessing for me right now especially being very competitive to get into. I like the idea of not bringing work home after work too and enjoying the weekends, but also making a difference in the lives of others. I am just scared @ risking the financial debt since I am trying to avoid taking out any more loans to go into this program and am so burnt out already that I am dredding more school/stress. Are you all finished in the program or still have more to go? which setting did you enjoy most? I think I see myself more in the outpatient setting at gym/rehab facilities like the one I was an aide at. I have orientation coming up to go over all the initial details (payments, forms, registering, tests etc), but from reading forums I have no idea what to expect in terms of the professor and fast paced courses. I hear they are extremely hard and a lot of people fail? I will take 3 pt professional courses in spring, 1 pt procedure in summer, 3 pt fall, then the clinicals in the spring. I have all the gen eds necessary out of the way, so it is pretty much just the professional pta courses to focus on. What courses and semesters were the hardest for you and did you only have to take the pta prof courses full time 1year?

DJ Saw in New Jersey

22 months ago

Wow,

Marketing, teaching, and a PT aide? You will have no problem as a PTA in my opinion!

It's understandable about your worries as I also could have gone back into my profession, but I really disliked it and chose to go back to school. I'm sure, as you have been accepted, you will see familiar situations from other students who have family obligations and debt concerns. I'm nearing the end of the fall semester and will begin my final spring semester when you start in January. I believe we may meet during orientation because during my orientation we got to ask the seniors questions about the program.

It is difficult to assess how "hard" courses are unfortunately. I wish I could be more helpful, but it really depends on the student. It's interesting to see that we all have strengths and weaknesses and depending on those as well as your study habits and other factors like work, motivation, and family obligations your grades may be affected. I mean around 30-35 students will get in per year and so those students are basically the cream of the crop students so to speak. Yet, every year a number of those students will fail. Some people drop out too as they realize this may not be what they had in mind.

I've observed in outpatient rehab and worked in long term nursing so far. I have two more places to work before I decide where I would like to work, but so far I'm still interested in orthopedic outpatient.

The schedule that you stated (3 PT courses in spring, 1 PT in summer, 3 PT in fall, and clinicals in spring) is the correct sequence so yes, PTA courses are 1 year and then the last semester is full time work.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but all the courses were a challenge. The closest course related to PT courses are the anatomy 1 and 2 courses which you will review again in the PT courses.

Just remember to be organized as much as possible and keep a routine schedule of studying that works for you and when in doubt don't forget to breathe!

22 months ago

Yes, I know you'd be surprised what else i've been through. I am just so ready to have a normal job routine and stable life already instead of continuing to go in circles with everything - burnt out. What were the hours for the classes each semester like? Full time 8-4pm or split at different hours throughout the week/days? Did you have to relocate or did you just commute? I have to find some reasonable housing in that area which I think will contribute to most of the financial issues/debt. Did you feel the program went by fast for you or was it a long timeframe that you had to constantly remind yourself to keep going? Not sure if you have a family or are single, but I don't currently have a family which may allow me to focus more time onto the studying part? Is a lot in person/class based or more computer/test based for the courses like anat 1 & 2. I took that over a year ago, so will I have to really be organized going into the program to learn and stay on top of everything without feeling too overwhelmed? You scare me by saying a lot fail or drop out because I don't want to get into it and have to worry about that/stress more and it all be a waste. You said it isn't what people had in mind, is that because of how hard the program is or just because it is a lot of "hands" on dealing with patients that they didn't enjoy? I think the fulfillment aspect comes from hands on dealing with patients and that excites me more than anything. is it exhausting on your body physically or is it hard mentally/emotionally trying to get though the courses stress studying and passing? how do you like the professor and do you feel a lot of help/support is there? i have some random job offers, but not sure if ill be happy long term even though there were would a lot of pros to accepting one of them, but i may regret the chance off the pta program with this 1 time opportunity to risk things for a good future? i really appreciate everything you have/can fill me in on!

DJ Saw in New Jersey

22 months ago

I don't remember the exact hours but I think the first semester I had class on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday anywhere between 6 to 8 hours. I remember a couple classes I started at 8am and finished around 4:30pm. I also came in for open lab a lot on Saturdays usually from 8-12. The last seven weeks of the semester you observe at a clinic once a week either on Wednesday or Thursday.

Summer was similar I think 3 days a week, but no clinic. It was only about 6 weeks so it goes by fast and it's pretty stressful.

This current semester is much like the first. I'm going to class Monday 8-2, Tuesday 8-2, and Thursday 9-4:30. Wednesday and Friday was clinic for the first 10 weeks.

I commute usually about 1 hour which is really a pain since I do get tired sometimes from just the drive back and forth, but relocation is not necessary as there are some students who come from farther places than I do. But if you want to relocate I guess it is up to you.

The program is going by fast that's for sure, but I also think that it drags sometimes as well especially during breaks between semesters. I honestly have to say that I never thought of giving up, but sometimes I find myself needing to take some deep breathes and tell myself that I can get through this because if you fall behind, it does get stressful. There is a specific average you need to pass the program so if you are near the border it can add to the stress.

I'm married and I take care of my mom. My wife as well as other family members support me financially which is stressful too because I needed cosigners etc for loans and they are expectations for me to graduate. Some of my classmates are married with kids and I just cant imagine how they are getting through this program so yes, it probably is easier being single.

22 months ago

Is there any way you would be able to discuss a few things/questions over the phone with me quick? I was thinking that may be easier than just emailing back and forth on here in paragraphs and that way I won't have to continue posting for your feedback on this forum. If you don't mind sending your contact # to: sunnygal2027@yahoo.com ( which isn't my main email, but an older email account) & let me know once you did so I can check it tonight to hopefully reach out to you at some point later or this week when you have some "free" time, even a few minutes, to discuss some of other ?s/concerns. Please let me know the best time and if this is okay with you? Thank you so much!

DJ Saw in New Jersey

22 months ago

Classes are basically two types (lecture and lab). Lecture can be just listening to the teacher talking or it can be a bit interactive with the class answering questions in groups. The lab is definitely on the interactive side where you are basically in groups every time practicing various techniques or equipment.

Sorry if I scared you which is not my intention at all. I think it's actually good that you asked me about people failing. First of all the professor will tell you during orientation anyway, but it's good to know now so that you can prepare yourself mentally for what you will face. On average I think the failure rate is around 30%, but my class is larger than usual so you never know.

I understand what you mean by burning out and getting stressed etc. Obviously I'm not you so I can't tell how much stress you can take. I just can tell you what I'm experiencing during my time here and everyone basically is stressed. The difference though is that we all handle stress differently and some do a better job than others. Still that doesn't mean that people will fail because they can't seem to handle stress well. If I look back now I think my constant worries added to the stress and I'm still in the program. Sometimes before an exam or practical I just tell myself that it's stressful but I will make it through and usually it's not half as bad as I thought it was. But the hard truth is that all the students coming into the program believe they will graduate, but the avg. failure rate is 30% so unfortunately it will be a waste for some people.

To answer your final questions, it is a bit of both. The program is harder than I thought and I didn't think it was so "hands" on, but I'm getting used to the hands on part and I don't think I will have an issue with it. You will get physical, but I'm in decent shape so for me it is a bit more difficult mentally. Professors are helpful, but they kinda expect you to know and find out a lot of things on your own.

DJ Saw in New Jersey

22 months ago

It's tough, I understand when you feel like you have to make a tough choice between taking a job or sacrificing some time to get into a new career. All I can say is to follow your heart which sounds corny, but I think there is a lot of truth to it.

Everyone is different. I remember during orientation, a professor told us that if we didn't like touching people, this program is not for you. The next day of class one student didn't show up. Another student stayed for about 1 or 2 months before dropping out and probably got a full or partial refund.

Anyway...ok I actually just read your newest post so no problem I will send my number and we can discuss more.

BQ4H7 in West Milford, New Jersey

22 months ago

Hi!
I also was just accepted into the PTA program at UCC. I am excited and terrified!

I was wondering, DJ, since you live in Bergen Co. if you have applied for a chargeback, or if there is some reason it didn't go through? You mentioned in an earlier post that you are paying higher tuition due to being out of county, so I was just making sure you know about the chargeback rule. While it is a bit of a hasssle, it is certainly worth saving the $4000 or so a year. I don't mean to insult your intelligence if you already know all this, but I thought it would be a shame for a person to be paying twice as much if it could be avoided. (I'll be happy to elaborate if, in fact, you haven't been told about this.)

Good luck with finals and maybe we will meet on Monday.

d

22 months ago

Hi BQ487 - can you email me what your referencing about the chargeback, tuition of $4000 you can save to my email @ sunnygal2027@yahoo.com? I don't live in that area and will have an hour & half commute to UCC. I was hoping I could maybe find feasible housing closer for this reason and looking to save...

DJ Saw in New Jersey

22 months ago

Hi BQ4H7,

I apologize for the late reply as I'm studying for final practicals and exams.

I heard of the chargeback, but honestly I don't know what it is actually.

As far as tuition goes though, I haven't worked since entering the program so I was eligible for a grant that covers my school expenses. I do have living expenses that I cover with a private student loan from a bank though.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated and congrats on your acceptance. I probably won't know who you are lol, but I hope to see you in January.

22 months ago

Hi DJ,

Just to give you a quick rundown in case it could be helpful to you (as it seems like the school is not forthright with this information). A chargeback is where you get to pay the in-county tuition rate by filing papers with your local community college. Your community college must pay the difference in tuition if you must go out of county for a course or program they do not offer. Maybe it is not to your benefit to do this for your last semester if your grant must specifically be used for tuition, but if you can use it for other expenses, it will give you back a nice chunk.

Just trying to help since you so generously shared your experience with us frightened little freshman! Good luck with finals and take care! Hopefully we will meet sometime.

DJ Saw in New Jersey

22 months ago

Thanks for the info. Yes, sometimes you have to find these types of things yourself so, much appreciated.

Just a heads up, but the orientation seems to be earlier this year which is a good thing. Our orientation was the day before class. On Monday us seniors are having a final practical. Two of my classmates will be talking to you guys about the program. Both are really positive so if you have any questions, feel free to ask them.

No worries, just focus and work hard and you will be fine! I wish I had someone to tell me more about the program when I got in last year so I'm happy to help you with any questions.

I'll be more available after the 20th. So if you need some assistance, feel free to post again.

22 months ago

Thanks so much for your help! Good luck with your finals, although it sounds like you've been working hard so I'm sure you'll do well.

Just think, you are less than five months away from being done!

DJ Saw in New Jersey

22 months ago

Your welcome, and thanks!

NJGirl in Florence, New Jersey

14 months ago

Glad I found this thread, I am applying to the spring 2014 program. Question for those in or accepted already, did you have all of your pre-reqs done before applying or did you finish them in the fall semester? I will be finishing up 4 classes this fall Eng102, Alg, A&P2, and PSY212 so if I am accepted I will only have PTA classes to take. I emailed the program to ask for an estimated guess of how many students accepted have all pre-reqs done and I was told an average of 50% though it changes every year. Glad to know I have a chance of getting in and I have 3.7 gpa so I hope that is competitive enough.
I work in a hospital and I will be starting my volunteer work next month. I am in Burlington County so I'm about an hour and a half away from UCC which really stinks but glad to see here that others travel just as far. I am 30 years old, have a husband, two kids who are involved in multiple sports, a mortgage, pets, basically lots of things that are going to make this difficult but I am determined! Oh and my full time job, but from reading here looks like that wont really be possible. My job is willing to be flexible with my hours and go part time to keep my health benefits but I guess we'll see.
Thanks for all the info posted especially about the chargeback, that's going to save me about $3k!! I wish there was a more active forum for pta's and students similar to the one out there for nurses. I would love to hear how everyone is doing in their classes and those who have graduated have you found jobs? Are you glad you made this decision?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.