Should I go to a NON-ACCREDITED PTA school??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Karl in Hialeah, Florida

28 months ago

My options are:

Go to the accredited PTA program I have pretty much already been accepted to, South University in West Palm Beach, and have to rent a room and only come home on the weekends.

Go to the cheaper PTA program in Broward community college if they accept me (first choice)

OR

Go to a for-profit, brand new PTA program, that won't have its accreditation for another year, in an established school CLOSER TO HOME (Dade Medical College) that is sure to accept me, to which it would be an easy commute.

Would you do it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KingV911 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

28 months ago

I wouldn't risk going to an unaccredited program for two reasons:

1. When the time comes for accreditation there is a chance the granting authority could deny accreditation and your diploma would do you no good when you go to take your licensure exam.

2. Brand new PTA programs often don't have their s*** together. I can speak from experience as a local technical college started a new PTA program which for the first two years had an awful time getting its students to pass their licensure exam. I drove 90 minutes one way to go to a school that has a reputation for excellent instruction and high pass rates.

In summation, go to a school with an established program. Even if this new program gets accredited, you'll more than likely get a better education going the other route. Inconvenience sucks, but the time goes by quickly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Merlin777 in Miami, Florida

28 months ago

KingV911 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin said: I wouldn't risk going to an unaccredited program for two reasons:

1. When the time comes for accreditation there is a chance the granting authority could deny accreditation and your diploma would do you no good when you go to take your licensure exam.

2. Brand new PTA programs often don't have their s*** together. I can speak from experience as a local technical college started a new PTA program which for the first two years had an awful time getting its students to pass their licensure exam. I drove 90 minutes one way to go to a school that has a reputation for excellent instruction and high pass rates.

In summation, go to a school with an established program. Even if this new program gets accredited, you'll more than likely get a better education going the other route. Inconvenience sucks, but the time goes by quickly.

Thanks for the advice! Has anyone here seen a new PTA program get denied acceditation by the authorities?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Norma in New York, New York

28 months ago

Karl in Hialeah, Florida said: My options are:

Go to the accredited PTA program I have pretty much already been accepted to, South University in West Palm Beach, and have to rent a room and only come home on the weekends.

Go to the cheaper PTA program in Broward community college if they accept me (first choice)

OR

Go to a for-profit, brand new PTA program, that won't have its accreditation for another year, in an established school CLOSER TO HOME (Dade Medical College) that is sure to accept me, to which it would be an easy commute.

Would you do it?

You should always go to an accredited school. You can also transfer the credits. Accredited is also it's much cheaper than for profit.

Jak in Groveport, Ohio

28 months ago

I am in my first year at a first year program as well and I can't argue with any of the points made. You really don't want to end up getting the short end of the stick and them not getting accredited. I also agree that the first year is a total shot in the dark for them. They don't know what they are doing. I already have my bachelors in exercise science about I about dropped out after the first week. It was so easy that I honestly thought there was no way that this could possibly be at the level it needs to be for them to get accredited. All that being said this is what they tell me and what I tell myself:

Some of my terminology may be a little bit off here so please no one jump down my throat. From what I am told anyway, the big issue with PTA programs isn't getting accredited, it's getting candidacy in the first place. I was told that "out of all the schools that have been approved for candidacy in the last so and so years only one has been approved for candidacy and NOT been approved and accredited". So that was slightly reassuring. But I kept pestering them with the "What if's". I kept asking what happens if for some reason they don't. Well they dug into it and this is what they told us we could do: My school is a branch I guess of some bigger school in Chicago. Don't know anything about it really other than our program is based off theirs and our admissions department won't breath without them checking it first (don't get me started on admissions). Anything according to my head of the department if for some reason they don't get accredited I can go out to Chicago for like a quarter or semester or something and take a few general education classes and I can get my accreditation through them since they are already accredited. So that may be something you want to look into just to cover yourself.

Jak in Groveport, Ohio

28 months ago

Another thing to keep in mind, that I was not informed of when I signed on the dotted line, is that my program concludes in Feb/March. I can't take the licensure exam until after they are accredited, Meaning I will basically be in limbo until roughly June/July. So yah watch out for that

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

28 months ago

Jak in Groveport, Ohio said: I am in my first year at a first year program as well and I can't argue with any of the points made. You really don't want to end up getting the short end of the stick and them not getting accredited. I also agree that the first year is a total shot in the dark for them. They don't know what they are doing. I already have my bachelors in exercise science about I about dropped out after the first week. It was so easy that I honestly thought there was no way that this could possibly be at the level it needs to be for them to get accredited. All that being said this is what they tell me and what I tell myself:

Some of my terminology may be a little bit off here so please no one jump down my throat. From what I am told anyway, the big issue with PTA programs isn't getting accredited, it's getting candidacy in the first place. I was told that "out of all the schools that have been approved for candidacy in the last so and so years only one has been approved for candidacy and NOT been approved and accredited". So that was slightly reassuring. But I kept pestering them with the "What if's". I kept asking what happens if for some reason they don't. Well they dug into it and this is what they told us we could do: My school is a branch I guess of some bigger school in Chicago. Don't know anything about it really other than our program is based off theirs and our admissions department won't breath without them checking it first (don't get me started on admissions). Anything according to my head of the department if for some reason they don't get accredited I can go out to Chicago for like a quarter or semester or something and take a few general education classes and I can get my accreditation through them since they are already accredited. So that may be something you want to look into just to cover yourself.

It's all jumping through hoops. Just depends on if you think it's worth it so you can get a job.

Merlin777 in Miami, Florida

28 months ago

Thanks everyone, great info thus far.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.