Weighing my options

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Startingpoint in Champaign, Illinois

43 months ago

I'm 22, soon to be 23, married, and have a 4 year old. I have no college education and live in a rural area. I really need to start working again, and I don't want to be working minimum wage jobs for the rest of my life. In the town I live in and the next town over, the only jobs available above minimum wage are for speech therapists, nurses, physicians, and physical therapists/occupational therapists. I can't really afford going to school for 7 years and I also need to start providing for my family as soon as possible. I want a job helping people, but I don't think I would enjoy being a nurse. There is a decent demand for physical therapist assistants in the nearest "big city" and it's something I think I would enjoy (and be able to get a grant for at the local community college), but it would be a 45 mile commute one way, that's a little ridiculous. I really want a career helping people, but I just don't see a 7 year education as being possible for me and moving isn't really an option either. I'm not sure what to do, there aren't any certificate or associate's degree level jobs within 40 miles besides CNA/LPN/Nursing. Should I suck it up and get a job I'd hate (i.e. nurse) because I made the choice to start a family young and not furthur my education until now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

devinepower in Buffallo

43 months ago

Hi.
I am just giving my 2 cents on a career as a Physical therapist assistant.
Let me tell you that once you are in healthcare you gonna get a job.
Sometimes you have to decide and you have to do something which is feasible for you and your family.
But I think 2 yrs sacrifice can give you a great career as Physical therapist assistant and you do not need to spend 7 years studies.
Any ways following link regarding physical therapist assistant career will be of help to you.
www.iphysicaltherapist.net/Physical-therapy-assistant-schools.html

toboeingornottoboeing in Seattle, Washington

43 months ago

You might consider one of those jobs where you can work out of your home - a legitimate one that you really can make money on - like a medical transcription
person. I would check that out one of the threads on here about that - and if you do it - make sure you do the right certification/school cos' there're some certifications that aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Another thing, there might be more good jobs than what you are seeing. I mean, is it really ONLY medical that makes anything? What about city government? Or county? Or state?

When you said that nursing didn't feel or sound right for you, I think that was a very telling statement. I would go bonkers being a nurse or really being in any profession where I dealt with physically sick people all day. It's a profession that's really for certain people. You got to be really patient and really nurturing, I'd think, to be content in the field. It seems to me that Physical Therapy would also require those same attributes. I wouldn't want to do either. I'd be annoyed at the people who weren't doing their part and getting better!

I think the title of your post says it all; i.e., 'weighing' your options. When you say the profession to yourself, which one feels 'heavier'. I'd stay away from the one that feels heavy and maybe even unbearable sounding and go with the one where I feel some joy thinking about it and doing it everyday.

jrmavc in AV, California

42 months ago

Startingpoint in Champaign, Illinois said: I'm 22, soon to be 23, married, and have a 4 year old. I have no college education and live in a rural area. I really need to start working again, and I don't want to be working minimum wage jobs for the rest of my life. In the town I live in and the next town over, the only jobs available above minimum wage are for speech therapists, nurses, physicians, and physical therapists/occupational therapists. I can't really afford going to school for 7 years and I also need to start providing for my family as soon as possible. I want a job helping people, but I don't think I would enjoy being a nurse. There is a decent demand for physical therapist assistants in the nearest "big city " and it's something I think I would enjoy (and be able to get a grant for at the local community college), but it would be a 45 mile commute one way, that's a little ridiculous. I really want a career helping people, but I just don't see a 7 year education as being possible for me and moving isn't really an option either. I'm not sure what to do, there aren't any certificate or associate 's degree level jobs within 40 miles besides CNA /LPN/Nursing. Should I suck it up and get a job I'd hate (i.e. nurse) because I made the choice to start a family young and not furthur my education until now?

That's really not a bad commute at all. My nearest school is 125 miles away one way here in California. If I make it, I'm gonna go for it.

PTAgirl in Concord, California

42 months ago

I did 45 miles each way. Others did a longer commute. Some were able to car pool that came from the same area. Not everyone could do that. Others found a way to stay over during the week on class nights. There are a lot of ways to be creative to make it possible.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.