Which PTA schools should I apply to this Fall/Spring?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

mollyKINS in Eureka, California

24 months ago

Hi everyone! I am 22 years old and currently a student finishing up my last semester toward a B.S. in Kinesiology/Pre-PT. I am hoping to apply to PTA schools this Fall/Spring. I am not applying for PT schools this fall because of several factors that include cost, GPA, and the fact that most applications are due in a few months and I have yet to take the GRE's, start my online application for PTCAS, get references, write essays etc. etc. etc... Working as a PT aide part time and doing school full time this fall is also another reason why... Anyways, I was hoping to get some advice on which PTA schools I should apply to. I prefer to be in California but I am willing to travel out of state or anywhere really to become a PTA. I sort of like the idea of going to school in Oregon or Washington... :)

Where do I stand on paper?
GPA-
3.1/3.2 overall
Observation/Work experience-
106 hours inpatient
200 + hours outpatient
Classes Completed (all that apply to major/area of interest)-
2 Semesters General Bio (not Micro Bio), 2 Semesters General Physics, 2 Semesters General Chemistry, 2 Semesters Zoology (Anatomy & Physiology), Structural Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology, Motor Development, Exercise Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Human Development, Statistics... I think that's all the important ones.
I also took PTA 100 from Sac City College

As you can see my GPA is okay but not outstanding by any means but I feel like I have completed a lot of classes and have quite a bit of observation/work experience.
So I guess my question is which schools will most likely accept me based on this? Are there schools that look more at classes completed/experience as opposed to mostly GPA? I would really appreciate some advice on this as well as any other suggestions you would like to share. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

J.John in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

22 months ago

Hi, I'm in the same situation as you. Have you had any luck yet?
I find it really hard to find schools to accept new students without anatomy and phsyiology 1 and 2 and that start in the spring with open enrollment. Still searching, but we should stay in touch if anything changes.

PTAgirl in Concord, California

22 months ago

Molly....I would suggest Sac City. But apply to several places to increase your chances of getting in. You GPA is not that bad. just be sure you have all the prereqs where ever you apply.

J.John......I believe all schools require 2 semesters of A&P. It's the core of the profession and very important when working with the public.

N in Newark, California

15 months ago

Hello Molly, This info might help you: Gurnick academy opened PTA program in San Mateo, Ca. You can check their website for admission requirements. It looks like A&P is included.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.