What is the future of home health?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

JJTENN in Dyersburg, Tennessee

47 months ago

Hello, im currently a second year pta student and i have been inquiring about jobs in different fields just to see what is available for ptas as far as salary and benefits go. ALL THE PERKS! My researh has made it pretty aparent to me that home health HH is the way to go as far as the pay goes i have talked to a few new grads that are making 45.00 per patient ( i live in the west tennessee area), and the.more i look into it the more it appeals to me. Not just for the pay but.also for the extra freedom of not being in one place all day with someone always breathing down your neck. So on to my main question. I have been hearing rumors that HH for us will not be around much.longer. i guess due to new legislation. Is there any truth to this? If so how long till we start to see the effects of this legislation. I really have my heart set on home health for a few different reasons. Does anyone have any info for me? Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeremiah Fredrick in Florida

47 months ago

As I understand it the most significant impact to HH will be the reimbursement rates are going to be cut. Sources have cited that Medicare-certified HHA will face 38.7 billion dollar reduction between 2010 and 2019. Three payment reductions of 2.75% for calendar years 08, 09 10 and 2.71% for 2011. Also, "The HHA prospective payment system (“PPS”) will be rebased starting in 2014. HHA rates will be adjusted by a percentage determined appropriate by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, to reflect such factors as changes in the number of visits in an episode, the mix of services in an episode, the level of intensity of services in an episode, the average cost of providing care per episode, and other factors that the Secretary considers to be relevant." healthreformstat.com/2010/06/05/changes-affecting-home-health-agencies/

When it comes down to it, the majority of the patients we see are Medicare who are unable to visit OP sites. If Medicare patients drive the HHA revenue, well then you see the problem. I doubt, seriously doubt that HHA will go away. They could possible grow in the coming years with the steady rise of our population moving from the 60's into their 70's and 80's. You'll get a thousand different perspectives and if you’re watching FOX/CNN you'd see that this reform bill although enacted as of March is not safe from reform.
www.homecarelawblog.com/my-blog/2010/05/another-article-on-home-health-reimbursement.html
On a side note, it's difficult to get true information. Some sources are gunning for repeal of the health care reform so you will get a skewed article. Those for it will tout its viability and there too you will not see the bad. I decided to go OP to get some more experience and within a few months you could get contracted PRN with a HHA. If you decided HH is for you then you just go from PRN to full time. Sorry for the long winded article.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Its just hard to fathom the idea of working for roughly 25 per hour in OP when 45+ per patient is available in my area. The gap in pay is crazy. I would have never imagined pta would be so financially rewarding. The person who gave me the info on the HH field being discontinued is a director of a snf in my area. I don't mean to seem so shallow talking about the money but its hard not to when your in school and broke with student loans pilling up! If i could actually get out there into the hh field i could have theses loans paid off in no time. Its just discouraging because no one wants to be straight.with you. Everyone i know in hh says they.love it and the money is great! Those that work in other fields say don't do it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeremiah Fredrick in Florida

47 months ago

I feel your pain JJTENN, and you have a valid point in the disparity of pay. It can be a balancing act in decided which setting is right for you. Some argue HH can be mundane with treating total knees/hips and general de-conditioned pt's day in and day out. But pay me 45 per visit and a lucrative career is worth it. Others enjoy the team work associated with SNF or OP settings. You will see a variety of patients in OP, not as much in a SNF. SNF's do pay well and typically have better benefits than the smaller OP offices. Most of the PTA's I have spoken with have changed settings MORE than once and each person has their own idea, so the only way you'll have yours is to jump in! Again, I like the OP because all of that knowledge from school is awesome but in my case needs more refining. Having the PT there is a bonus, in HH you’re out there and phoning a PT is an option but it's much better just to look over and ask. As your experience and confidence builds, you feel better equipped to enter HH. Just my thoughts and that's all. I know several who went right into HH and enjoy it but they too have expressed the same sentiments. Ask one of your friends if you can go in a ride-alone after graduation. When you’re studying for your boards is a perfect time to see hands on what HH PTA's do. Just an option!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

I have a 2 week clinical rotation that i am doing at the end of next semester so im sure i will get a decent feel for it then. Im just so anxious to get going!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

roucrumom

47 months ago

JJTENN,

Have done home health for 19 years and have loved it. I am paid by a hospital that contracts me out to a HH agency. The pay is per hour. In the area I work I would not come out if I did per visit like I did in the good ole days. To be honest I am tired of the snow and the terrain I drive during the winter. Today I was contacted to consider a local SNF. Never thought I would go back, but with the changes in medicare etc. and tired of driving I am considering a change. Good luck!

MarciaMSPT in Poland, Indiana

21 months ago

JJTENN in Dyersburg, Tennessee said: I have a 2 week clinical rotation that i am doing at the end of next semester so im sure i will get a decent feel for it then. Im just so anxious to get going!!!

I've done home care PT for 15+ years and have written a couple e-books about it... you gotta know how to negotiate your pay if you want the "great pay." Good luck to you in your pursuit!

Roman in Secaucus, New Jersey

16 months ago

Home Health is not allowed for PTAs here in NJ. Anyone know which states allow it? What about NY state?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kurtis chapaman in Illinois

16 months ago

Roman in Secaucus, New Jersey said: Home Health is not allowed for PTAs here in NJ. Anyone know which states allow it? What about NY state?

Why is that?

Roman in Secaucus, New Jersey

16 months ago

kurtis chapaman in Illinois said: Why is that?

I guess every state regulation is different

grenae67 in Half Moon Bay, California

15 months ago

I have a question for an experienced home health PTA. I have 8 years experience as a PTA which 3 years has been spent in home health. I have been offered a home health job by a former supervisor which she has offered me $45.00 per visit. I feel that is low since I have worked for her before at a different home health agency a couple of years ago. I would like some input on whether to ask for an hourly wage or how high to ask for, for per visit rate. The job is located in Tacoma, WA. Thanks, I look for to hearing great feedback from everyone!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.