Charles Drew University, Los Angeles

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (44)

Sainla in Westford, Massachusetts

71 months ago

Have anybody gone to this University for their PA program? If so, how was your experience in the school? Is it hard to get into the program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

AM, PA-C in Los Angeles, California

69 months ago

First let's rephrase your question into proper English; "HAS anyone . . . ?" I am a Drew grad. Every program has pretty much the same requirements. Some programs have one or two weird classes that they might require, but the core science is the same. It takes about 2 years FT to complete the prerequisites if you don't have a BA/BS. Plus two more for the program. You will have NO LIFE once in--an absolute sacrifice.
Drew is a great school and is only getting better. It is in the hood, but that's the charm; it's the underdog. Oldest in the state of CA, and second oldest in the nation after Duke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

LesH in Fresno, California

69 months ago

[QUOTE who="AM, second oldest in the nation after Duke.

You are right about it being the first PA program in California, but it's not the second oldest in the nation.

LesH
Past Clinical Coordinator
CRD Primary Care PA program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

O.F in Duarte, California

69 months ago

I graduated from Charles Drew 12 years ago. It is a great school as many other schools but you have to work hard no matter which school you go to. I wish you luck''. PA is a good and enriching profession, you learn and teach every day of your life.

MS in LA in Yakima, Washington

68 months ago

Sainla in Westford, Massachusetts said: Have anybody gone to this University for their PA program? If so, how was your experience in the school? Is it hard to get into the program?

Dont waste your money! Go to Western or USC. I personally know former instructors and alumni and they all say the same thing; "go somewhere else." Just this year alone they have lost their program coordinator, and clinical coordinator due to dismissal. Rumor has it the school may not get re-accredited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

LesH in Kerman, California

67 months ago

MS in LA in Yakima, Washington said: Rumor has it the school may not get re-accredited.

They don't have a site visit from the ARC-PA till next year, so what is this rumor based on? Just curious.

LesH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chad in San Diego, California

66 months ago

Ouch.. Burn!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Staten Island, New York

64 months ago

I know the website says min 2.5 gpa, but my gpa as of now is like a 2.2 , I'm planning on taking extra classes to raises to at least a 3.0, and I work as a home health aide, what would be my chances?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JC-PAC in Compton, California

62 months ago

MS in LA in Yakima, Washington said: Dont waste your money! Go to Western or USC. I personally know former instructors and alumni and they all say the same thing; "go somewhere else." Just this year alone they have lost their program coordinator, and clinical coordinator due to dismissal. Rumor has it the school may not get re-accredited.

I started the program @ age 55 in 2005 & graduated in 2007. I passed the Boards first time out & have been working ever since. Our class (41), had a pass rate of 90% which ain't bad at all. The CDU PA program is an excellent program with caring instructors and staff. Former students who complain about this program are those who flunked out or didn't pass the Boards or generally had academic issues while attending the program. No matter what program you attend, YOU have to do the work, YOU have to study, & YOU have to pass the Boards. You can't become caught up in the drama & hype that students will go through in ANY PA class. Even though you are part of a PA class, you are still an individual and are responsible for doing the work required & the resulting outcome that follows. If YOU do nothing, nothing will happen!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

WC in Monrovia, California

62 months ago

JC-PAC in Compton, California said: I started the program @ age 55 in 2005 & graduated in 2007. I passed the Boards first time out & have been working ever since. Our class (41), had a pass rate of 90% which ain't bad at all. The CDU PA program is an excellent program with caring instructors and staff. Former students who complain about this program are those who flunked out or didn't pass the Boards or generally had academic issues while attending the program. No matter what program you attend, YOU have to do the work, YOU have to study, & YOU have to pass the Boards. You can't become caught up in the drama & hype that students will go through in ANY PA class. Even though you are part of a PA class, you are still an individual and are responsible for doing the work required & the resulting outcome that follows. If YOU do nothing, nothing will happen!!!

Since you went to Charles Drew University, I want to know if it is true that Charles Drew increases their tuition almost every semester. Did that happen to you?

JC-PAC in Los Angeles, California

61 months ago

WC in Monrovia, California said: Since you went to Charles Drew University, I want to know if it is true that Charles Drew increases their tuition almost every semester. Did that happen to you?

No . My tuition cost was the same throughout my 2 years in the program. I do believe tuition did go up in 2009, though. Still, a great program at minimal cost compared to USC & Western University.

BabiieLove06 in San Diego, California

61 months ago

Your copmaring Drew with USC & Western, but aren't those both masters programs?, while drew is a bachelors? Please clarify for me =)

61 months ago

Absolutely. USC & Western r both Master's programs but when it comes down to the money, it doesn't really matter. A friend of mine recently graduated from the Drew PA program and also got her Master's from Drew as well. She's practicing in a Family Practice clinic setting that requires a Master's. She's making < $45/hr. I graduated from the same program with a Bachelor's. I also practice in a Family Practice clinic setting and I'm making $50/hr and I just interviewed for a new job that will start at $70/hr. So, take your pick. The Master's is a nice enhancement to your education as a PA but it won't necessarilly(spelling) get U more money as a PA. When it comes to pay, don't settle for what they offer u, ask for what u want because if u don't ask for it, u won't get it!! Also, If u accept a lowball offer, it lowers the salary for all other PAs that follow u. Accept nothing lower than $45/hr but ask for $50/hr and don't be discouraged when they say no because the good paying jobs r out there. You just have to find them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kpadilla in Los Alamitos, California

59 months ago

What is the schedule like when you do get into the program? Is it full-time, are you able to work at all? Could anyone help me out with this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hhm2 in Saint Louis, Missouri

58 months ago

i dont need this i need the childerns names

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shopper in Anaheim, California

57 months ago

MS in LA in Yakima, Washington said: Dont waste your money! Go to Western or USC. I personally know former instructors and alumni and they all say the same thing; "go somewhere else." Just this year alone they have lost their program coordinator, and clinical coordinator due to dismissal. Rumor has it the school may not get re-accredited.

HI,
I believe you are correct. The program accepted students this year but they cannot run the pa class 2010. Just looked on the ARC-PA web and it says they were previously accredited but shows they closed march 2010. Have you heard anything else about what happened to them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

NN in Los Angeles, California

56 months ago

Im currently a student from Drew, class 45. Drew is working on getting their masters degree, so hopefully in a few years to come that will take effect, till then theyve voluntariy withdraw. as far as the schedule, i wont recommend you work, its very intense, and you are quized every single week. the school is ok they just need to work on a few stuff..........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shopper in Anaheim, California

56 months ago

NN in Los Angeles, California said: Im currently a student from Drew, class 45. Drew is working on getting their masters degree, so hopefully in a few years to come that will take effect, till then theyve voluntariy withdraw. as far as the schedule, i wont recommend you work, its very intense, and you are quized every single week. the school is ok they just need to work on a few stuff..........

Hi,
Do you think they will re-open for 2011 or 2012?

BSS in Inglewood, California

56 months ago

Shopper in Anaheim, California said: Hi,
Do you think they will re-open for 2011 or 2012?

They will begin to accept applications again in 2011, and the hospital should also be open at that time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Longtime PA in League City, Texas

56 months ago

The Drew PA Program had been on/off probation for several years. The accreditation was finally pulled due to the Program's failure to adhere to educational accreditation standards. See www.arc-pa.org for objective information. The school cannot say when it will re-open because it first has to try and re-gain accreditation. 2011 is very unlikely as it does not have a site visit for accreditation scheduled.

Keanna88 originally BabiieLove06

55 months ago

@ Cheli24la. To answer ur questions (I'm currently taking prereqs for PA school) Consider looking for other schools that offer PA in a Bachelores & not only Drew. This way you'll have more then one option if they don't accept u. Basically Yes, u do take all the required classes b4 u apply for the program. Once u finish ur 2 years, apply to multipule program & wait for the results! Hope this helped :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

aquaman in Redondo Beach, California

55 months ago

Time to break all yall with some real knowledge!

CHARLES DREW= blood sweat and tears! This school is constantly under microscopic scrutiny. Established historically out of controversy and 40 years later still remains in the same mess. Many people believe that Drew University should not exist, as such with the hospital across the street. With so much to show and prove, the result is a stoic rigid educational program that tolerates little failure and has highest expectations of the students. If you can not hang, you will get the axe. I am an alumni and a scarred survivor of the PA program, and 20 percent of my classmates were dismissed. Many of those students would have made great PA's. The pressure is intense and makes for an extremely competitive atmosphere. The school is very unorganized and that is the reason for losing its accreditation. Admin was given soooo many chances to meet the requirements and would always come up short. During my time at Drew we had three different Medical Directors in the 2 years i was there. Like I said there is so much controversy with this school. I was fortunate enough to have one of the best professors to instruct our class in pathophysiology. Without that doctor... well its evident now what would happen without him. Drew PA program is indefinitely closed for repairs and many of the students did not pass the boards after his departure.
In a nutshell this is a program that you can only count on yourself to pass the national board exam which is the ultimate goal in becoming licensed. Western and USC will baby there students and nearly breast feed them information to pass the boards. The difference is seen on shared rotations with students from different PA programs and Med schools; Drew students standout because they are more confident knowledgeable self sufficient battle tested professionals. IF! you make it out of Drew, you will be a damn good PA!
Would I do it again.. i broke my back to make sure i didnt have to!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

Hi,

Almost everyone here writes about 2 years of pre reqs. What are the pre reqs? What classes must I take? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Shani Hunter in Hayward, California

54 months ago

Hi Everyone,
I recently just graduated from High School and in the fall I will be attending Charles Drew University. I am from Hayward(CA) and I do not live in that area. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as for ajusting to a new area as well as adapting to College-especilly this one--. I also wanted to know what everyone did for housing, becuase as of now I have no idea where I will be staying while attending school.

I am opening to any help or advice given.
I can be reached by email:shaniihunter@gmail.com

bss in Anaheim, California

54 months ago

Longtime PA in League City, Texas said: The Drew PA Program had been on/off probation for several years. The accreditation was finally pulled due to the Program's failure to adhere to educational accreditation standards. See www.arc-pa.org for objective information. The school cannot say when it will re-open because it first has to try and re-gain accreditation. 2011 is very unlikely as it does not have a site visit for accreditation scheduled.

They gave up their accreditation. They have to re-gain accreditation, that's correct. However, they we're scheduled to interview students again in 2011 that was with the previous interim program director.

bss in Anaheim, California

54 months ago

Curious in Los Angeles, California said: Hi,

Almost everyone here writes about 2 years of pre reqs. What are the pre reqs? What classes must I take? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Prerequisites are basciallly the same for all PA schools with the exception of a class or two and different volunteer hours. It's best to check the school website of the school you want to attend to be sure.

Weng in Torrance, California

52 months ago

anybody has an idea how the DMS program is at Charles Drew? are they still accepting applications? help!

jay in Monterey Park, California

52 months ago

the school will be saved with the new board of trustees, that's why they are there because the school has a long time success rate for students graduating and obtaining th e best paying jobs

Lynel Banks in Moreno Valley, California

51 months ago

jay in Monterey Park, California said: the school will be saved with the new board of trustees, that's why they are there because the school has a long time success rate for students graduating and obtaining th e best paying jobs

Hi Jay,

My name is Lynel. I have been searching for an update on Drew's PA program. I was looking forward to applying there, as well as other schools. But Drew would actually be my first choice; if excepted by more than one. Is there any place to search, other than the Drew website, that would show if or when they will be reopening their PA program? Thanks Jay!

Lynel

51 months ago

I believe the program will be back in 2012 as a 3 year Master's program. Western U is 2 year program now.

51 months ago

Aquaman....... So True, So True!!!!!

JC-PAC

AL in Long Beach, California

47 months ago

I really truly believe that this post sums up the perception other PA schools and their grads have of the Drew PA program and its students. First of all, you failed to provide new insight to Drew's recent demise. Which simply means that no new knowledge was learned from your rant of the state of affairs of Drew's PA program past and present. And I really do not see the purpose of calling out other PA programs for having in place a teaching model that has a proven track record. Makes you sound so bitter. I am a Drew grad and I truly feel that Drew presented countless challenges that have no place in a professional program, especially medicine. This is why its now closed. Everyone saw the closure coming and as an alumnus its indefensible. Also, it's no mystery why instructors at other PA schools, who went through the "Drew Experience", do not recommend Drew and only have horror stories to share. This is the reality. No need to represent anything else. As long as you have the "C" after PA, then you are truly legit no matter what school you attended. And for all you PA hopefuls and alumni alike, do not hold your breath, the program will not be back. The plug has been pulled for good.

JC-PAC in Beverly Hills, California

47 months ago

Old but wise...LOL.

SGM in Rancho Cucamonga, California

47 months ago

WC in Monrovia, California said: Since you went to Charles Drew University, I want to know if it is true that Charles Drew increases their tuition almost every semester. Did that happen to you?

All programs regardless of PA or other professional programs increase their tuition by 3-5% annually.

neiceypooh08 in Los Angeles, California

46 months ago

hey i really wanna kno is drew going to open again?, im getting so many answer i dont know what to believe now, i want to go to drew cause its closer to home and the cost is cheaper then usc plus usc have more prerequisite then drew i like drew cause it wont take me that long to get there from home.. plus my sister went there and gratuated in 04 from the x-ray course she likes the school she said the teachers really help you and thats a good school so she told me & my other sister we should go and she is now taken other classes to go back and be in there Diagnostic Medical Sonography program but i believe that class is closed to... and my other sister wants to go there to take there pharmacy tech class i wanna go for PA class but i still am taking classes i wont be finished until 2013 so that is when im hopeing to go to drew. And if drew doesnt open then i want to go UC DAVIS the only thing about that school is that its sacamento and they only have a certificate and i dont want that if im goin to school for 2 years i want at least (BA-PA) not a (C-PA) it seems like people would have more respect for you and so i have heard on other sites... but any who i also wanted to take the phlebotomy class so i can have some health care experience while i take the classes i need for the PA program.... so i wanted to know how long is the phlebotomy class and do they provide housing even if i take the classes that i need for PA program at drew.

p.s. and how good would it be if i go to uc davis is kinda far away and im scared to be so far away from home in a place i know nothing about... thanks

LA in Los Angeles, California

42 months ago

neiceypooh08: I think it would be wise if you took some writing classes if you aspire to be in a professional field. I found it exceedingly difficult to read all of your run-on sentences, sentence fragments, and blatant misspellings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Future P.A. student in Riverside, California

42 months ago

Burn!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Neiceypooh08 in Los Angeles, California

40 months ago

LA in Los Angeles, California said: neiceypooh08: I think it would be wise if you took some writing classes if you aspire to be in a professional field. I found it exceedingly difficult to read all of your run-on sentences, sentence fragments, and blatant misspellings.

Well sorry I didn't know we were in English class. For your info I write like this because I want and I write perfectly fine thank you, I dnt need to prove anything to you because you are a none f*%king factor in my life

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Neiceypooh08 in Los Angeles, California

40 months ago

Future P.A. student in Riverside, California said: Burn!

& They didn't BURN S*%H!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cathy22 in Whittier, California

37 months ago

Hello I would like to gather some input on anyone who has taken the RN program or is enrolled at charles drew please.. I am interested in getting in their program and how much does it costs because i will be paying the money from my pocket since I do not qualify for financial aide. Also what's this that I hear that this school is not accredited?? Any help would be truly appreciated thanks!! Here is my email if you want to direct the info directly to me thank you once again: )

catndago@gmail.com

Thank You,
Cathy

Brian in Long Beach, California

36 months ago

I have worked with Drew PA grads. I don't think it matters what school you go to really, as long as they prepare you to pass the PA NCCPA Boards the first time. Any job you get will be sink or swim, though some will be more forgiving as long as you learn quickly, and have good common sense, and give it your all. Your social skills will count more than your clinical acumen more than you can imagine. But if you can work in a teaching hospital or go to a residency go for it as it will upgrade your ability, confidence, and employability big time. The 2-3 years training time in PA school isn't enough time to absorb all the information and practice skills, so you will need about 2 years to consolidate the skills and gain some experience to appreciate the potentials and limits of medicine and be better accepted by patients and other staff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nahoudi8 in Littleton, Colorado

31 months ago

What gpa do you need to get into Drew? Do they have a good medical program? And also what does your ACt score have to be? Thanks!

31 months ago

>/= 3.0. Yes, they have an excellent medical education program. ACT & MCAT scores obviously should be as high as possible.

BabiieLove88 in Riverside, California

31 months ago

Is Drew back up and running now? I am going to go check the site, but just asking here also!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.