New York PA Program Reviews/Reputations!?!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Anthony in New York, New York

55 months ago

I am starting to look into Master's PA programs in and around New York City. Can anyone speak to the reputations of the area schools including NYIT, Stonybrook, SUNY Downstate, Hofstra etc.? Also are any more difficult to get accepted to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kris in Chicago, Illinois

39 months ago

Hey Anthony, I was wondering if you know what the writing portion of the NYIT program consists of. I have an interview tomorrow and would appreciate any help you could give.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Brooklyn, New York

38 months ago

All of them are difficult to get accepted to

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

gooh in Brooklyn, New York

38 months ago

Hi, I'm currently unemployed
I first thought sociology is for me, but I don't like it...then I transfer to be a communication art major. I didn't do well in it...but after that I set my heart on medical assistant, because I knew medical assistant was meant to be for me...I didn't like they pay me no respect =(

So, I want to know my chances to get into top PA school, here are my stats:

Major: Interdisciplinary Studies
GPA: 2.4~2.5, but I got good grades in my major class.
I did 10 hours of volunteer work in school
No experience in healthcare
No shadow

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME FIND A CHEAP AND GOOD PA SCHOOL? I THINK I WILL BE A GOOD STUDENT TO BE PA. HELP ME OK?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gooh in Brooklyn, New York

38 months ago

Hi, I'm currently unemployed
I first thought sociology is for me, but I don't like it...then I transfer to be a communication art major. I didn't do well in it...but after that I set my heart on medical assistant, because I knew medical assistant was meant to be for me...I didn't like they pay me no respect =(

So, I want to know my chances to get into top PA school, here are my stats:

Major: Interdisciplinary Studies
GPA: 2.4~2.5, but I got good grades in my major class.
I did 10 hours of volunteer work in school
No experience in healthcare
No shadow

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME FIND A CHEAP AND GOOD PA SCHOOL? I THINK I WILL BE A GOOD STUDENT TO BE PA. HELP ME OK?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jesse in Hacienda Heights, California

36 months ago

gooh, i hate to be blunt you need a lot of health care experience to make up for that low GPA. PA admission is extremely competitive. best of luck in your pursuit

Jonah in Garden City, New York

34 months ago

Gooh, a lot of programs may require a GRE exam which tests english and math. Judging by your posts, the english portion may be a problem. Best of luck with everything

Jonah in Garden City, New York

34 months ago

Anthony in New York, New York said: I am starting to look into Master's PA programs in and around New York City. Can anyone speak to the reputations of the area schools including NYIT, Stonybrook, SUNY Downstate, Hofstra etc.? Also are any more difficult to get accepted to?

Hofstra is one of the more up and coming schools but the reputation is getting better. Their last graduating class has students that really show just how well the school has prepared them by winning numerous awards. NYIT, Downstate and Stonybrook, having been affiliated with medical schools longer than Hofstra has, will allow for more access to resources that will be helpful in the future (e.g. cadaver). However they are all very hard to get into. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

teacher2PA in Brooklyn, New York

30 months ago

Hello everyone. I am a current NYC teacher almost at my 10 year mark. I graduated from Brown U in 97 and was going tonpursue medical school until I became pregnant very young. Long story short my love of medicine has never gone away;however I needed to make a living so I became a teacher. Since I will be able to have rights to my pensionafter my ten years, I decided this will be the time to pursue medicine as a PA. I am a single mom with two kids, age 7 & 16. I would just like some insight into the process, can you work and study or is it too grueling? Thanx

Sol in Spring Valley, New York

29 months ago

teacher2PA in Brooklyn, New York said: Hello everyone. I am a current NYC teacher almost at my 10 year mark. I graduated from Brown U in 97 and was going tonpursue medical school until I became pregnant very young. Long story short my love of medicine has never gone away;however I needed to make a living so I became a teacher. Since I will be able to have rights to my pensionafter my ten years, I decided this will be the time to pursue medicine as a PA. I am a single mom with two kids, age 7 & 16. I would just like some insight into the process, can you work and study or is it too grueling? Thanx

PA school alone, without working, requires a tremendous amount of self discipline. All the more so, PA school and working, is neigh on impossible(A part time job, lets say 20 hours, may be possible). All the best.

Zaylah in Brooklyn, New York

28 months ago

I am also trying to get into Stony brook. While I lack the bio requirements and 1000 hours health care experience, I have the rest of the pre requisite. I have a bachelor in math with a 3.14 gpa. I have 2 semesters of physics & chemistry (with lab). I got married right after school currently expecting my third child, I was wondering if I can take the bio pre requisit in 2 semesters and apply for admission next year? please help thanks....

28 months ago

PA school is highly competitive. It's literally med school (didactically) in 2 years instead of four. It's very, very competitive. I think the hardest profession to get into is vet. school second PA and third Med. I think this is because of the number of schools in the nation or lack thereof. You should have (at very least) the number of health care experience hours required AND have a really good GPA. I aced my interview but did not get the best GRE score and still got into PA school but I am the exception not the norm. I new my GRE score was going to be a factor so I researched anything and everything about getting into PA school. That said good luck and if you really really want to be a PA you will do whatever necessary to get into a program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

*Knew

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.