Want to become a PA, but am I too old to start.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 95 of 95)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

eli3102 in Newtown, Connecticut

66 months ago

Lindsay in Miami, Florida said: Go for it! You only live once so if it's really something you're interested in pursuing, there should be nothing stopping you. Honestly, my mom is 52 and my dad is turning 60 in a couple of months and if they said anything like this to me, I'd think they were crazy because they're still young to me.

If you're really worried about not getting hired because of your age, look up and familiarize yourself with The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) so you know your rights.

And as far as going into debt is concerned, student loans are pretty low-interest (see the financial aid department at the school you want to attend and fill out a FAFSA form) and associate degrees are relatively inexpensive. You can apply for scholarships too. Additionally, most PAs make a pretty decent salary and you can always look to see if there are any loan forgiveness programs in your area or state. There are tons of options, you just have to research them a little.

Live the life you want to live, not the one you think you should have!

Hi
I am 27 and currently deciding between a nursing degree and a PA program, the problem is that I live alone am a single mom of 2 and I have absolutely no family help...I have a Bachelors degree and I do have health industry experience and I have to take 5 pre-req sciences to apply to the PA program. However, I have been warned that there is no way I can work and go to school but as a single mom I don't know how I would be able to finance the program and living expenses for me and my family. Does anyone know of any special programs out there? I am in CT.
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Garland, Texas

66 months ago

Traci in Salt Lake City, Utah said: I am graduated. I have worked on an ambulance for the last 5 years, in the ER of a Trauma One center for 3 years, and now for the last 3 months I have been working in Clinics to get a better grasp of the roles PA play here, lots of pt care hours etc
The interview was Great they are super nice and easy to talk to. I would suggest buying the book "Getting into the PA school of your choice" and joining www.paeaonline.org/directory/index.htm If you send me your email I will send you my caspa application if you'd like

Traci,
Could you email me a copy of your caspa application.
email: minh515c@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Mike

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

amit in Hyderabad, India

66 months ago

hi my name is amit.. am a paramedic..i am interested in master in PA program in Canada.

could any one please tell me how are the job opportunities for PA in canada??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

missnjit in Blackwood, New Jersey

66 months ago

eli3102 in Newtown, Connecticut said: Hi
I am 27 and currently deciding between a nursing degree and a PA program, the problem is that I live alone am a single mom of 2 and I have absolutely no family help...I have a Bachelors degree and I do have health industry experience and I have to take 5 pre-req sciences to apply to the PA program. However, I have been warned that there is no way I can work and go to school but as a single mom I don't know how I would be able to finance the program and living expenses for me and my family. Does anyone know of any special programs out there? I am in CT.
Thanks!

Hello,
I am actually in the same boat the only thing is that I do not have kids and I do not have any patience care experience. I am in the health insurance industry...and had a bachelor in MIS. I have a lot of pre-reqs to do so I do need to find out how to finance this education at the same time to finance my living expense as well while I go to school FULL TIME. Keep in touch and maybe we can give each other the support as we go along.

Lindsay in Miami, Florida

65 months ago

I would recommend contacting the financial aid office at the schools you're looking into to see if there are any grants you can apply for. Also contact the HR department at your current employers and see if they have tuition reimbursement programs for the field you wish to pursue, though they usually have you sign a 2 or 3 year contract to work for them after you graduate. If all else fails, you can always apply for federal or private loans. If you're worried about the cost of repayment, look into loan forgiveness programs. There are a lot of loan forgiveness programs for people entering the medical field in certain positions. You can ask the financial aid office about that too. Make sure that you ask if there are any scholarships or grants specifically for single moms because there are usually tons. I think some programs may even help pay for childcare while you're working and/or in school.

Check out this website for more info: www.howtodothings.com/family-and-relationships/a4039-how-to-find-grants-for-single-mothers.html

Also, if you need to take out loans, look into some of the new programs like Public Service Loan Forgiveness and Income-Based Repayment (IBR) plan to make sure you meet all the criteria, though they go into effect once you begin repayment after you graduate (more info here: www.ibrinfo.org/what.vp.html#eligible).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Greta Neely in Los Angeles, California

64 months ago

chazam in Arden, North Carolina said: All the comments about PA school being INTENSE are right on the money but if you want it bad enough you can make it happen. I did it in at almost 40 as a single mom of three. Dare to follow your dreams!

Please could you have a discussion with me on how you did it? I really am in a dire situation and could use some guidance.
Greta

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Greta Neely in Los Angeles, California

64 months ago

Could you please e-mail me at gretaneely@yahoo.com. I am in dire straits and have always wanted to pursue this field but I am not employed. I am a single mother. Just got out of an abusive marriage and am living with an unsupportive family.

I dont have any money nor a job. How in the world could I make this work???

eddy in Bogotá, Colombia

61 months ago

I recently read a book about the subconscious mind and it says you are only as old as you think you are, some are 23 and think they are 58. The authors father decided to study another profession at 61 and became a professor at 65 and worked for 20 years until he retired at 85. I say at 58 you are still young, we need all the help we can get in the medical profession. In Colombia if you learn Spanish you can become a Doctor in 6 years and it costs one tenth the price and the education is excellent. Colombia by the way has a better health care system than the United States because they don't pay ridiculously high salaries. Good luck in your new profession. Eddy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

FickleFranny in Mount Laurel, New Jersey

58 months ago

missnjit in Blackwood, New Jersey said: Hello,
I am actually in the same boat the only thing is that I do not have kids and I do not have any patience care experience. I am in the health insurance industry...and had a bachelor in MIS. I have a lot of pre-reqs to do so I do need to find out how to finance this education at the same time to finance my living expense as well while I go to school FULL TIME. Keep in touch and maybe we can give each other the support as we go along.

Hi missnjit,

I am actually debating whether I should go into the PA program as well. And I am in the same boat as you. I am 29 yrs. old who graduated with a BS in Design. So I have alot of pre-reqs to complete and patient care hours to complete if I want to pursue this field. I noticed you posted your response 7months ago. Did you decide on what you wanted to do? I know fear is holding me back. Especially since I have a child to take care, I am scared that PA school will cause me to sacrifice my responsibilities of being a mother. I am just not sure. But Drexel does offer a part-time PA program so that may be doable.

Jess in Lincoln, Nebraska

58 months ago

I was 45 years old when i returned to school to become a PA. Yes, i was the oldest student in my class. I graduated in 07 MPAS. Do i regret going to PA school at my age? NO. I do wish i had done this earlier, but due to family committments i could not. My advice is go. Listen to your inner self. Yes it is an intensive program, and also expensive but one well worth the trip. You will be thankful every day of your life that you became a PA no matter what your age.
Hope this helps
J

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

2ndchance in Atlanta, Georgia

58 months ago

Jess in Lincoln, Nebraska said: I was 45 years old when i returned to school to become a PA. Yes, i was the oldest student in my class. I graduated in 07 MPAS. Do i regret going to PA school at my age? NO. I do wish i had done this earlier, but due to family committments i could not. My advice is go. Listen to your inner self. Yes it is an intensive program, and also expensive but one well worth the trip. You will be thankful every day of your life that you became a PA no matter what your age.
Hope this helps
J

I am 47 year old, single with no childen. I am self-employed with a lot of free time on my hand. I can work on the weekend and make enought to take care of my frugal lifestyle. Can you tell me how many classes do you have to take a semester, are they very hard to study for, and do you have a test every day?

Could some please give me some example on how intense the program is? I appreciate any feedback from any one who has completed the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Natalie Williams in Tulsa, Oklahoma

56 months ago

You can check out www.physician-assistant-jobs-resource.com for information about PA programs, physician assistant loan repayment and forgiveness, salary data and the types of jobs available in your area. I think Physician Assistants will become even more important to health care delivery in the United States because of the predicted physician shortages. Opportunities for loan repayment are definitely there if you are willing to practice in a rural area of treat underserved patient populations. Good luck!

Natalie Williams
Editor, www.physician-assistant-jobs-resource.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

careerchange in Calgary, Alberta

49 months ago

I am interested to become PA in Canada. But the problem is that I have 2 years diploma in Fashion Merchandinsing. I know this is unrelated program. I am confidence that I chosen this career for career change. I need to know what kind of Bachelor degree do I have to take?
Can someone tell me step by step? I also aware of working direct contact with pateints before you apply PA school.

Thanks so much!
Bella (29 yrd old)

Renee in Greenville, South Carolina

49 months ago

I'm 48 years old and considering going to PA school at MUSC. HOw was your experience in PA school?

Renee in Greenville, South Carolina

49 months ago

I would love to chat with you about your experience in PA school. I"m 48 years old and considering the option. Possibly going to MUSC in Summer 2012.

Adventure in Winnipeg, Manitoba

48 months ago

kcar in Jamaica said: @Keeta et al: glad to hear that you will be taking up the new challenge. Even if you do not get a job right away after your studies, at least you have learnt something new which is very satisfying to one's soul, as money is not everything but knowledge and skill !! In mid-life we sometimes feel that "This can't be everything"... as we have more to offer and have not reached our ultimate potential yet ! away from the subject matter: I am in Negril @ Keeta, so whenever you come back to Jamaica you must get in touch with me so that we can share thoughts. Again: One Love !

Hi Kcar,

I am currently a PA student in Canada looking to both get some experience through an internship in Jamaica as well as obtain employment post-graduation. After many many hours of searching I cannot find any information to this regard and Im wondering if you have advice on opportunities available or who to get in contact with.

I am a Canadian who loves everything about Jamaica especially the people and the culture!

Cheers!

Adventure in Winnipeg, Manitoba

48 months ago

amit in Hyderabad, India said: hi my name is amit.. am a paramedic..i am interested in master in PA program in Canada.

Hi Amit,

Currently there is only one masters level program in Canada at the University of Manitoba. The entrance requirements are located on the website: umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/education/paep/
The program is very intense but good.

As for jobs at the moment they are just starting to surface. In the past all PA positions have been military however with the implementation of both masters and undergraduate civilian PA programs more non-military jobs are being created. They are expected to grow exponentially within the next few months.

I hope this helps! Feel free to contact me if you have other questions.

txag80 in Austin, Texas

47 months ago

I'm interested in becoming a PA, too. I have a BS in nutrition, but never used it. Got an MBA and have worked in business since the 1980s. So all my science classes were 30 years ago. Would I have to repeat them to get into a PA school? I can't find that information anywhere. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

bluecloud in Stone Mountain, Georgia

47 months ago

The information about what course requirements and lengths since taken are--

vary quite a bit from school to school.

Many of them require certain classes to have been taken in teh last five years.
They do list that if it is a requirement on each individual school website.

Some of them don't put requirements on it.

Similarly, the requirements for health care work experience vary from 0 hours to over 4000 hours.

Best,

Heather

maelue in Detroit, Michigan

45 months ago

Im 42 with no college credits, did go to school for medical assistanting got my dipolma in '91 but ALWAYS wanted to be a doctor but then worked with a PA & decided that was what i'd rather do but started a family & that was my priority now that ther almost adults im ready to pursue my dreams, have NO clue how to get started can i get some advice from someone b/c my husband is not supportive of my dreams at all,constantly telling me im way too old but this site assures me of way my heart says "you're never too old to follow your dreams!" I graduated high school in "87 then med. asst. in '91 and no more schooling after now thats feel a bit scarey when you're thinking about a career in medicine. Anyone with any advise? I would be so appreciative.

hopingtohelp in Stone Mountain, Georgia

45 months ago

you are not too old. that is ridiculous. if anyone tells you that, ignore them...

you are only 42!!!

you will need lots of school. i don't know where you live but the miami dade PA program may be perfect for you. it doesn't require a bachelor's degree to get in, yet it is a fully accredited training program for PA. I believe it leads to an A.S. degree in PA?

Otherwise, you are in for some serious schooling! :) Most programs are master's level, which means you would need a 4-year bachelor's degree first...and then get in to PA school which takes 2 years.

If you do not have any college, you may want to get either the Associates PA degree from Miami Dade, or get an Associates in Nursing. RN is a great career and you can advance to NP if you want (which is very similar to PA).

Just my opinions, but I think you should go for it! :)

stefmamma in Valley Stream, New York

45 months ago

chazam in Arden, North Carolina said: All the comments about PA school being INTENSE are right on the money but if you want it bad enough you can make it happen. I did it in at almost 40 as a single mom of three. Dare to follow your dreams!

Hi, I am wondering if you can give me some advice..I am a social worker, LCSW (therapist) and am seriously considering a change of career and possibly PA school. I am a mother of a 6 year old son and am wondering how it will be possible to be in a PA program and also be taking care of my son the way I need and want to be. My husband works full time as well. Any advice? Thank you so much.

michael in Sunset, Louisiana

44 months ago

I am 28 years old I am pursueing my associate's degree in Respiratory. I currently have a 4.0. Once I graduate I plan on getting by bachelor's degree online, then applying to Our Lady of the Lake PA program in Baton Rouge LA.

I am a father of 3 and live in a rural area in south Louisiana, making moving not a option.

What I am wondering is, what are my chances of being accepted to my first choice school, and finding a job in my area? And is it worth the 68 grand I will have to borrow per semester?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions to a better route to take?

michael in Sunset, Louisiana

44 months ago

michael in Sunset, Louisiana said: I am 28 years old I am pursueing my associate's degree in Respiratory. I currently have a 4.0. Once I graduate I plan on getting by bachelor's degree online, then applying to Our Lady of the Lake PA program in Baton Rouge LA.

I am a father of 3 and live in a rural area in south Louisiana, making moving not a option.

What I am wondering is, what are my chances of being accepted to my first choice school, and finding a job in my area? And is it worth the 68 grand I will have to borrow per semester?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions to a better route to take?

Sorry I mistyped, 68,000 total.

MOGRAV28 in Orlando, Florida

44 months ago

Amy in Saint Cloud, Minnesota said: I too have the same "problem". I have a Bachelor's Degree in Med Tech with a great grade point average. I'm afraid of going into debt for education and end up being "too old" to be hired as a PA.

Anyone know if this could be a win-win, or am I too old to really be considered for a PA job?

I have done plenty of research on this profession and I will be relocating back to south florida to pursue my degree. Please look at this website for anyone looking to enter a PA program or some other medical professions and don't want to go broke trying to better themselves.

Full scholarship:nhsc.hrsa.gov/scholarship/

Loan Repayment program: nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/

JustMe in Beltsville, Maryland

43 months ago

Terry in Rochester, Michigan said: Would apreciate any feed back about going back to school to become a PA. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Physics and a grade point average of 3.1. I have worked all my life as Automotive Engineer in the Detroit area, but that is now drying up and I need to think of the future. My wife is a RN, and I have a keen interest in medicine, and have been all my life. I have virtually no experience in the health care field at this date, nor biology or anatomy classes. The only obstacle, I feel, I have is my age, 58. But, I think I have the drive and the desire to accomplish this. Can anyone give me any inspiration or advise. It would be appreciated. Thanks.

My Dad has always been an "academician", he loves to study and he works hard. He went back to school after being an RN for many years and at the age of 52 he completed his physician assistant program and is currently working in this position. If you have the drive, and if all other things considered that you want to do this, do it. Don't base it on your age. I think most of all make sure it's something you would enjoy doing. I know my dad loves this and infact, he is now in school again to get an education degree because he plans to become an online professor for students in school for the physician assistant program. I think this is a smart move, especially considering he is inching towards retirement age.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

ENDO in Los Angeles, California

40 months ago

For those of you deciding between NP or PA. Ask yourself if you want to study medicine or nursing. MY cousin is doing NP and her curriculum is very different from mine. We focus on science and medicine whereas her classes are more theory oriented. She loves what she studies and I love what I study but we have no interest in each others curriculum. It has to be a choice from the heart, don't go for NP because it might be easier. What do YOU want to do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

P Johanna in Fontana, California

38 months ago

Kristine in Los Angeles, California said: Beth - Thanks so much for your advice, your feedback helps a great deal. Are you familiar with any hospital in the Inland Empire that offer good programs as the ones offered at LAC & USC? The thing is that I live in Fontana (San Bernardino County-Inland Empire) which is 1 hour east of Los Angeles, the 1 hour commute is with no traffic and you know that's a rarity in Southern California so in reality the 1 hour commute turns to 2 1/2 to 3 hours. It would be great if there are hospitals with these programs closer to home. Thanks again Beth, your input is appreciated.

Kristine, hopefully you get this, I see you posted a while back. I am in the same area as you, am finishing the preq's for PA school: Loma Linda, Western U, and USC. I am now at a crossroads, either go into a BS program or apply for AS in PA, which is only offered at RCC, Stanford and San Joaquin Valley. I am interested in knowing what you decided on and if you have any advice.

To everyone else, thank you for the advice and asking the same questions that I have been asking myself. I was intimidated to enter a junior college at 38, and it was not a big deal with the exception of some kids staring and then asking how old I am or those that didn't realize I was as old as those they talked about being "really old". Now I am intimidated in trying to pursue a BS, because I am giving myself 2 years towards the BS (that is going year round) and then pursuing another 2 to 3 years in PA school.

Monica in Flanders, New Jersey

38 months ago

I am 45 and this year applied to PA school. This has been my heart's desire for many years . Due to family and financial obligations, I had to put off my application and pursue another medical career which has been financially rewarding and re-enforced my desire to become a mid level practitioner. Next week, I have two interviews. Like all of you, I struggle with many questions- Am I crazy giving up my job and taking on major debt at my age? Can I handle another two years of intense study? Two of my children will be in college at the same time so hopefully, I will get lots of financial aid ( at least for them). I have no doubt that I will love this career as I love medicine and working in a hospital. I wish I was able to pursue this when I was younger but you can't change the past. Its encouraging to see "older" applicants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

swtalker in Pompano Beach, Florida

37 months ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry for the TMI, but you need to understand my story in order to best advise me. Thank you for patience.

I'm 31 years old and I was brought to the US as a child from Europe.I have recently received my green card after 21 long long years. As a result of not being in the US legally I wasn't able to further my education by going to college. Anyway, I feel like I fell in love.Do you know what I'm talking about? You are sick to your stomach in fear, yet you are excited and as giddy as a school girl. You think about it day and night. You read all the blogs you can on the subject, because you can't get enough. I'm in love with the prospect of becoming a PA.

Let me explain that all my life I have been on the chunky side. In high school I had the most amazing and entertaining Anatomy teacher who (without his knowledge) influenced my well being so much that I decided to lose weight, exercise, and just take better care of myself. Being a Dr. was so far out of the reach that I dared not to dream about it. Anyway, during dinner a couple of months ago I asked my sister-in-law what she thought I should pursue when all was said and done with my immigration case, and she said you need to be a PA. I looked it up, and it was kissmate. I have been in love ever since!

Anyway, my question is as follows: I'm truly horrible in math, and I was wondering what are the math prerequisites to even try to apply for the PA program of MDC? I took AP Anatomy in high school and I got an A+; however, that was 14 years ago. Now I'm a mom of two little ones. My husband is super supportive; however, I'm terrified that my math skills are so poor that it will ruin any chances of me getting into the MDC program. Basically I barely passed math in high school. I'm ashamed to even say this, but I believe I got either a lower lever B or a C.

I sincerely appreciate any advice and or guidance you guys can offer me.

Truly thank you,

-swtalker

swtalker in Pompano Beach, Florida

37 months ago

One last thing! I'm hoping to apply to the AS program at Miami Dade.

Thank you again for your time.

-swtalker

Dina in Worcester, Massachusetts

35 months ago

Terry in Rochester, Michigan said: Thanks for the inspiration, I think I will follow my dream. Thanks for the finacial aid information also.

There are also many grants you have to look for them but the funds are out there.

BigSteve in Homestead, Florida

34 months ago

Traci in Salt Lake City, Utah said: I just interviewed at Lock Haven and made the final review, I find out at the end of feb whether I get in or not. Keep in touch, I'd be glad to send you my caspa app (if I get in) so you have something to compare yourself to.

That would be great. Thank you

smfletcher2007@yahoo.com

Lin Mara in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

33 months ago

This is such a wonderful forum - I just finished my masters degree and have been waffling between a PhD program or a PA program. I have over a 3.5 GPA but I am mom to a 3 yr old and have a spouse trying to climb the success ladder as well. I feel that something that was said to me as an undergrad drove me away from pursuing medicine. I know feel a very strong urge to go for it - to the point where I feel restless. I only have two courses to take to have all my prereqs done, but I too was wondering if I am too old (36). I think about what I want for my son and if I can provide for him if anything happens. I also dont want to be bitter and cynical at 85 and lose sleep and health ruminating over how I let other people tell me what I couldnt achieve. Thanks so much for this forum. Its never too late - even if you dont practice (although I would pursue that), just making the attempt and thinking through the steps to move me forward gives me peace.

MILY.... in Miami Beach, Florida

30 months ago

Matt, does the Military also hire recent RN graduates. If so, any cut off age. Where to apply.
You can send additional information to honeyinsfl@aol.com

Major Matt in Johnston, Iowa said: I'm a Military Medical Professional Officer Career Manager. I recruit almost every type of Graduate Medical Professional... MDs, DOs, DDS, RN, LISW, Clinical Psychologists, PAs and PA Students, Med Students and Dental Students.
Don't worry about age. I've seen 40-50 y.o. PA, MD, and DDS Students. Be prepared to assume 85-105K in student loans (private or public PA Programs are the same cost). If you go MD/DO, you're going to take out 150-240K. If because of your timeline, you're not going to be able to pay these back, you may want to reassess goals.
I tell my advisees,
1. This is a strategic commitment which will take years to achieve your goal.
2. When applying to medical education programs - worry about the BIG 4.
a. Grades and major. If you already have a degree, ensure your prerequisites meet the requirements. If not, you're going back to make up the difference.
b. MCAT/DAT/GRE/GMAT.
c. Clinical Experience
d. The additional *distinguisher* that gets you noticed.

My advice - two options.
There are advanced practice nursing programs which admit people who have hard science backgrounds and puts them through a MSN program in 24 months. Look at the University of Iowa's program, and compare it to one in your area.
If there's not one available, you may want to apply to an ADN/ASN program at a Community College for an immediate, short term return on your investment and see what opens up from there.

Lastly, I'm not always right - and I'm willing to admit it. If there's someone out there who has another idea. I'll defer to their better judgment.

studentforever in Las Vegas, Nevada

18 months ago

Lindsay in Miami, Florida said: Go for it! You only live once so if it's really something you're interested in pursuing, there should be nothing stopping you. Honestly, my mom is 52 and my dad is turning 60 in a couple of months and if they said anything like this to me, I'd think they were crazy because they're still young to me.

If you're really worried about not getting hired because of your age, look up and familiarize yourself with The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) so you know your rights.

And as far as going into debt is concerned, student loans are pretty low-interest (see the financial aid department at the school you want to attend and fill out a FAFSA form) and associate degrees are relatively inexpensive. You can apply for scholarships too. Additionally, most PAs make a pretty decent salary and you can always look to see if there are any loan forgiveness programs in your area or state. There are tons of options, you just have to research them a little.

Live the life you want to live, not the one you think you should have!

I am 65 finishing a BA in psychology interested in entering an accelerated RN program which will probably take two years am I too old and crazy

18 months ago

I am 65 yo and finishing BA in psychology this year I am thinking about an accelerated RN program for degreed individuals still it will take two years am I too old and crazy

18 months ago

Would appreciate some of you who are professional response what do you think?

AnnO. in Walnut Creek, California

17 months ago

Dear Lindsey, etc.,

There's no way to prove age discrimination when searching for work no matter how educated you are on the ADEA Law.

I went back to school to fulfill my dream of being a RN. I finally finished in 2011. Spent hundreds of hours on applications, I've had just 2 interviews (in 2 yrs). I suspect the phone is silent because I am over 50. BTW-there has not been an application that has not asked for my DOB (date of birth) and/or SSI #.
It is extremely difficult to compete with hundreds of thousands applicants half my age. The healthcare facility recruiters are under 30. Cannot get a face-to-face with a RN manager. I am in the top 10% of my class with a high GPA and academic achievements (Sigma Theta Tau, Dean's list and Honor Student in the nursing program and pre-req's). This has been the biggest mistake of my life, having taken almost 8 years to finish (nursing pre-requisites and 3+ nursing program). I have no self-confidence left and no job in sight. Healthcare facilities don't even want me outside of California either (plenty of my much younger peers had to move to get their 1st job. Imagine having to leave your home and family in order to earn a paycheck after studying your heart out for 8 years...).
Don't waste your precious life, unless you aren't dependent on earning a living once you graduate. The only job I've landed in 2 yrs are RN volunteer positions. Haven't earned a dollar on something I spent almost a decade training for...just heartbreaking.

LivingLand in British Columbia

13 months ago

Hi Amit,

I'm also interested in being a PA in Canada.
Several provinces use PAs, some don't. They're all somewhere along the way to adopting them, but as far as I know, only Ontario, Manitoba and Nova Scotia have PAs officially at work. The military also uses them well. Others are in the process of adopting the PA profession, but we're behind the US.

amit in Hyderabad, India said: hi my name is amit.. am a paramedic..i am interested in master in PA program in Canada.

LivingLand in Vancouver, British Columbia

13 months ago

LivingLand in British Columbia said: Hi Amit,

I'm also interested in being a PA in Canada.
Several provinces use PAs, some don't. They're all somewhere along the way to adopting them, but as far as I know, only Ontario, Manitoba and Nova Scotia have PAs officially at work. The military also uses them well. Others are in the process of adopting the PA profession, but we're behind the US.

A US PA certification works in Canada, but a Canadian PA certification doesn't transfer to the US, as far as I've been able to tell. You may wish to train in the US, since their 150+ programs dwarfs the 6 programs currently available in Canada.

shojohn in Durham, North Carolina

9 months ago

Kristine in Los Angeles, California said: I'm 38 years old and want to become a PA. However, I still need to obtain my bachelors degree; I've been searching and it looks like I would need to attend a 2 year college , then a 4 year university, then I will be able to apply to PA school. Also, some PA schools require some health care "hands on" experience for at least 1-2 years. I have no medical experience what so ever, my back ground is the insurance industry. I figure by the time I'm done with all the schooling I will be 46 years old. So is 46 too old to get into this field?? I have been intrigued and interested in medicine since my early twenties when I used to be a secretary for a doctor but my life went in another direction. I am ready to make a career change, and this would be a very interesting career for me. I live in Southern California, can anyone advice me on the best path to obtain my goal? Thank you, your feedback is appreciated.

I know this is an old thread, but for the benefit of others in order to get your med experience you can join your local volunteer fire dept and get assigned to a rescue company and become an EMT or Paramedic or a volunteer ambulance company, not only will they give you the training and certications, you also get field exp taking vitals and performing medical aid in the field AND ITS ALL FREE

credit home in New York, New York

8 months ago

Hello

This is to inform the general public that we are currently giving out loan at a low interest rate of 2%. if interested in applying for a loan, For more details contact us now via EMAIL : credithome@blumail.org

MR MHAY

new in Seaside, California

5 months ago

I had classes with a 60+ y.o. woman who beat cancer and is now in nursing school. In fact, none of us thought she would get into nursing because she wasn't the best nor brightest in the class, and she even dropped out of our anatomy lab because she was afraid that she didn't do so well on the first test. I just found out a week ago, she's going to nursing school!

Whether she lands employment after this is up in the air. However, I am a believer now. Never would have thought in a million years she would get into a nursing program, and she actually got in before a friend of mine who also thought the same thing. So, just do it. You never know until you go. Everyone can tell you whatever they want, but in the end, who knows how luck or fate will turn out for you. Could be the best thing ever, or the worst thing.

Pieter van in Grand, France

7 days ago

Good Day Sir/ Madam

Do you have a low credit score and you are finding it hard to obtain capital loan from local banks/other financial institutes? Do you need a loan or funding for any reason such as :

a) Personal Loan, Business Expansion ,
b) Business Start-up ,Education,
c) Debt Consolidation ,
d) Hard Money Loans

We offer loan from $10,000.00 to $50,000,000.00 at affordable interest rate and with no credit check ,we offer Personal loans, debt consolidation loans, venture capital, business loans, education loans, home loans or "loans for any reason!".

However, Our method, offers you the chance to state the amount of loan needed and also the duration you can afford , This gives you a real chance to get the funds you need! Any interested Applicants should get back to us via email: rymussche234@gmail.com

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.