I am trying to get into Nova Southeastern PA program? Anybody with a 2.8 overall get in?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 327)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

star in Gainesville, Florida

43 months ago

Angie in Miami, Florida said: Hi, I'm trying to get into MDC P.A program. I have a 3.94 overall GPA and a 3.85 science GPA. I'm done with all the prereq clasess; however, I dont have any experience in health care. Should I apply to the program or just wait until I do some volunteer work at a medical office or hospital????

you def should not apply now. having health care experience is VERY important. volunteering at the med office or hospital is good but having paid hrs is better than volunteer work. you should consider getting certified in something like CNA or something else that would be fast. your gpa is very good but that won't be enough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

viet in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

Hi everyone, I'm currently a junior in Bloomsburg University and I'm planning to attend PA school. The problem is,my Overall GPA is a 2.8, but i'm planning to retake a couple of courses to get a B+ or higher so my Gpa can be boost. Does anyone know if PA school will take that into consideration?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jon in Jacksonville, Florida

43 months ago

nova is like the university of phoenix for health. you pay more and get less. if your competitive enough to get into a state school, your better off. the rest trickle into programs like south university and nova.

im about to graduate from nova this year and this program is slapped together like a 100 page paper written the day before its due.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mohansic in West Palm Beach, Florida

43 months ago

Hi Jon,

I was surprised to hear that Nova did not offer a great learning experience for PA students. I live in South Florida and do not have many options other than Nova in Fort Lauderdale, Barry University, or Keiser. Any advice regarding those three programs? They are all expensive, but I cannot move at this time to get closer to a state school. Also, when they say the PA programs are rigorous, what exactly does that mean? My husband is behind me, but sometimes he gets lonely when I study intensely.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

43 months ago

rigorous means that they are presenting a large amount of info in a short amount of time, that is any pa program. in the case regarding these schools, the material and method that it is taught is disorganized. you will be teaching yourself alot. that makes it much more of a challenge.

43 months ago

rigorous means alot of info in a short timeframe. if that material is disorganized and poorly presented, you will have a harder time. it boils down to staff and resources. if you could get into a decent school, youll succeed anywhere, but you will be banging your head up against a wall at any of those 3 schools

Tatum in Tampa, Florida

43 months ago

Jon,
Can you provide more examples of your personal experience at Nova? Was getting in difficult? That's like my top choice for PA school!

43 months ago

Thanks Jon. I wish the news was better, but it is what it is.

Trev in Tampa, Florida

43 months ago

Hi,

I graduated with a BA in Psychology at USF. I had no idea what I wanted to do when I was an undergrad, and my grades were poor. I graduated with a 2.75 GPA in 2007.

I went of and worked for a while before deciding on becoming a PA.

Becoming a PA entailed going back to school for almost all of my science classes. I have taken around 50-60 credit hours in the last year and a half and maintained around a 3.5 GPA. I got A's in Organic, Micro, Anat & Phys 1&2, and all the labs for them. In fact, the only grade below a B i received was a C+ in Chem 2 and the only reason it wasn't a B+ is because i didn't properly register my clicker and lost 12% of my grade.

I have raised my GPA, but because I have so many credits I could only get it up to around a 2.97.

I got a 1040 on the GRE without studying much, and i have what i consider to be pretty good experience (~2,000 paid hours as a Mental Health Technician and ~150 hours volunteering in Physical/Occupational Therapy).

I also did an internship for 1 year as a Marine Mammal trainer (I know it's not as relevant but I'm hoping it helps me stand out) where i helped train/care for Dolphins/Seals/Sea Lions/Orca whales.

I know many of these schools, like NOVA, base their admissions strictly off of their interviews (As in once you get to the interview your GPA/GRE/ext are no longer as important) or at least that's what i was told by the admissions office.

I know my overall GPA is low, but is there still a chance i may be interviewed considering ive maintained around a 3.45 GPA since ive returned to school? Im hoping that shows them i am more dedicated now.

Any responses would be much appreciated.

Going4Urdream in Jonesboro, Georgia

43 months ago

I have read some really great and insightful comments. I hope they benefited the intended readers as much as they have benefited me. I am a first yr. physician assistant (PA) student here in Georgia (GA) at Emory University School of Medicine.

What I think makes my story equally interesting as many of the stories/comments I have read here is ... I am 45 y/o and seeking a career in Healthcare after having spent 16 years in a totally different career field. I am not talking job(s) but actually different career, b/c you can have multiple jobs and remain in the same career field/trade craft.

Hope this synopsis of some of the things I did to impress the admission's committee will help you or give some ideas. While taking my prerequ. I enrolled at a local technical college and became Emergency Medical Technology (EMT) certified. I found a job as an EMT Tech working the third (3rd) shift, so that I could continue to work on my prerequ. during the day. In addition to the aforementioned I volunteered at various PA conferences and seminars ... shaking hands and getting to know folks as well as getting them to know me (you know ... networking).

I took both the GRE and MCAT ... although the MCAT was needed, I wanted to show the selection committee that I was serious not only about getting accepted into Emory, but about being a PA ... one of the things I have garnered through research is, schools/programs are looking for students that will reflect highly on them after graduation. My taking the MCAT and then being asked during the interview about it gave me the opportunity to express that when I was not dedicated to my patients, I would be dedicated to research and publishing my research.

I not only intend to finish my PA program here at Emory University, but I plan to earn a doctorate of medical science (DMSc) and a surgial fellowship at Duke University or at some other respected institution

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

alsogoingfordream in Stone Mountain, Georgia

43 months ago

hey Going4urdream - wow! thanks for your email.

where do they offer DMSc? what do you plan to do with that extra education? do you want to do direct patient care, or research, etc?

the postgrad fellowships are an excellent idea, esp for specializations like surgery.

hey, im curious - how do you like emory pa school? also,

where did you get the EMT certification? dekalb tech college or other?

i applied to emory pa for next year.

please feel free to write back on here or privately (lifeiloveyou@gmail.com)

thanks!

Going4urdream in Jonesboro, Georgia

43 months ago

I matriculated at Southern Crescent Technical College in Griffin, GA. So far the only schools that offer a DMSc are

Baylor University (TX)
Duke University (NC)
Georgia State University (GA)

There are some other institions that are working on their own programs or are awaiting approval for their programs.

As far as Emory's physician assistant (PA) program, it is a really good program ... a lot of support & encouragement, yet a very high standard is adhered to on everything.

Right now Emory's program is ranked fourth (4th) in the nation/country. It has high pass rate for the PANCE. Emory also has a really good continuing medical education (CME) program in place for PAs. My tentative plan is to go into cardiothoracic surgery, as I stated it is tentative. I still have to pass the program. In addition to the CME, you will be assigned a phase 2 PA as a mentor.

Statistical data for my class ... there were 2300+ applicants; Emory only accepted 104.

With regards to my intent with a DMSc, is to garner as much knowledge as the profession of medicine and enhance my credibility in research.

I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

alsogoingfordream in Stone Mountain, Georgia

43 months ago

Hi Going4urdream in Jonesboro GA --

Thanks SO Much for your response; I really appreciate it!

I can't find a DMSc program at Duke U - I'm so curious - what is the name of the degree program? I find it fascinating that GSU has one ! Very cool -

I'm assuming they are not categorized as PA programs; what are these degree programs called?

Thanks again for sharing so much; it's very helpful.

tkdblond72 in Tampa, Florida

43 months ago

I was wondering what you guys thought about me getting in?? I have 9 months of full time work as an orthopedic tech aide bringing back patients and taking their history and complaint. Also, I am on the us national taekwondo team and have spent most of the last 20 years training and traveling, leaving me little time for work experience. Those 9 months came after i graduated in December of 2009. I graduated with a 3.92 science and 3.86 overall GPA. What do you think about this? I know UF is very strict on hours, but will they consider an overall student who was able to maintain a GPA and train for the Olympics? Also, my gre was 1090.

Any help/suggestions would be great.

Mohansic in West Palm Beach, Florida

43 months ago

I think you are incredible and have an excellent chance of getting into a PA program. All the best and much continued success. I am not sure what UF specifically looks for in their candidates, but you would be an excellent candidate. Please let me know how you do on your interviews, since I am sure you will be granted an interview wherever you apply. All the best!

Alex in Jacksonville, Florida

43 months ago

Only recently did I really decide to apply to PA school and I applied to Nova in Orlando and Jacksonville last year but too late to be considered. does anyone know how these schools compare to others in Fl? I have been having a lot of trouble finding a job to get me experience without having a CNA license or some other, but my gpa is at about 3.3 and scored over 1100 on the gre. I've shadowed a PA throughout the summer and volunteered at the mayo clinic but am afraid schools might disregard volunteer experience. I do know UF is strict on hours and that nova is a bit more lenient but I'm not sure about that. Any thoughts about my chances if I apply early? If anyone has any other suggestions about getting hours quickly, it would be greatly appreciated.

star in Gainesville, Florida

43 months ago

UF is the top PA school in Florida. Nova and Barry fall under UF. You increase your chances greatly is you apply very early for schools who have rolling admissions. What is your science gpa?

Alex in Jacksonville, Florida

43 months ago

I believe caspa had it calculated at 3.1-ish? I was wondering about how tough it is to get into Barry, as well as other FL schools. It's kinda scary since I don't have paid hours, and I'm thinking about getting a CNA license to improve my chances, and am going to observe outpatient surgeries starting this week as well.

43 months ago

FAUgradstudent in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I think you should be fine. You are showing that you are improving with every Chem course you take and that definitely speaks volumes. I got a "C" in general chem 2 and still got into all but one of the programs I applied to. Good Luck!

Hi FAUgradstudent,

I just got an invitation to interview at Keiser! I am very excited and nervous! Do you have any further suggestions before my interview next week? You were very helpful in your previous e-mails, but if there is any further suggestions or comments that you have for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

FAUgradstudent in Pompano Beach, Florida

43 months ago

Congrats! If you have already seen my post outlining the three stages of the interview I'm not sure I can be of much more help besides the basics.. Dress in a suit, arrive early, be courteous, and brush up on a PA's role in medicine and in FL specifically. They might ask you your favorite subject, be prepared to answer common questions about that subject. Have questions to ask them about their program and know their stats. They will ask you " why Keiser" and it's difficult because it's a new program without much of reputation. I focused on my drive to become a PA and that I really wanted to be in any program, it starts earlier in the year so that may be a positive thing, location is convenient, etc...Be familiar with ethical questions and the appropriate answer ( they doctor is drinking at work, what would you do...) Other than all of that, try to remain calm and have fun! Best of Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Thanks again FAUgraduate! I appreciate your great advice. My interview is in the late afternoon, so how long should I anticipate the entire interview process should take?

43 months ago

I think mine was about 3hrs and we had four or five candidates in the group.

mohansic in Lake Worth, Florida

43 months ago

Thank you once again FAUgradstudent. I appreciate your help!

43 months ago

No problem! Best of Luck!!

43 months ago

Mohansic in West Palm Beach, Florida said: I think you are incredible and have an excellent chance of getting into a PA program. All the best and much continued success. I am not sure what UF specifically looks for in their candidates, but you would be an excellent candidate. Please let me know how you do on your interviews, since I am sure you will be granted an interview wherever you apply. All the best!

Thank you so much for your response. I actually just got a call for an interview at the university of florida! I am beyond ecstatic. Now I need to prepare for that. Part of me thinks if I prepare too much it will seem scripted, but if I dont prepare I dont want to be stuttering? I am so nervous and just want my true self to show at the interview. What do you think is the best method?

Mohansic in Lake Worth, Florida

43 months ago

Congrats Tkdblond72! This is awesome news! The best approach to being calm at an interview is to do what it takes by being prepared, so my advice to you would be to anticipate as many questions as possible by writing the questions and your answers and then fine tuning the delivery of your responses. Try to be concise and only answer the question that they are asking at the interview.

Think about possible questions that you may have to respond to either during the panel interview or if asked to write an essay. Become familiar with state and general profession related regulatory issues and dress conservatively. Smile, engage, and convince the team that you would be an asset to the program. You will be great! When are you scheduled for your interview? All the best to you always and keep in touch! I wish you continued success and much happiness in your future as a PA!

43 months ago

Ok, I will definitely do some research on florida state regulations for PA's. Also, I have books with common interview questions and will surely practice my answers. Most importantly, a PA at Miami Children's Hospital has been mentoring me every step of the way and I am sure she would be happy to do a mock interview with me!

Again, I really appreciate your suggestions and taking the time to respond to me. My interview is August 29th and August 30th. It is the first session for the University of Florida interviews.

43 months ago

You're welcome! Mock interviews are invaluable. I am glad that you have some time to prepare. I am so happy for you and wish you the best always.

FuturePA in San Diego, California

43 months ago

Has anyone heard from NOVA Jacksonville?

Crossmyfingers in Orange Park, Florida

42 months ago

Did anyone know if you can get an interview with completing your prereqs? I have one left and it'll e done this summer, do you think I should wait until it's overt submit the application?

42 months ago

Absolutely not, please do not wait to apply. The sooner the better your chances of being invited for an interview. If you wait too long, the seats may be taken. Most schools only want you to complete your prerequisites before matriculating. Check with your school's Admissions Counselor first, but most likely you should be alright with one class not completed until the end of the summer. Where are you applying?

Crossmyfingers in Lake Worth, Florida

42 months ago

I'm applying to NOVA ft lauderdale and Keiser. Where are you applying?

42 months ago

Barry, Nova and keiser.

42 months ago

Nova, Barry, and Keiser.

crossmyfingers in Lake Worth, Florida

42 months ago

Mohansic, I see that you said you got an invite from Keiser for an interview, have you heard anything from the othe schools you applied to? And if you dont mind me asking what was your GPA and health care experience?

42 months ago

Hi Crossmyfingers,
I have not heard from the other two schools yet, but time will tell since they have a later start date. My GPA is competitive and so is my healthcare experience. I will keep you posted of the latest developments.

Holly4211 in Jacksonville, Florida

42 months ago

Has anyone heard anything from Nova's Jacksonville campus? Anyone know how their interview process is?

42 months ago

Has anyone heard from any of the Nova's for interviews?

futurePA14 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

42 months ago

Has anyone interviewed at Keiser yet? I would like to know what to expect.

LY5 in Livingston, Alabama

42 months ago

I was pre-med and just recently decided to apply to PA school for the 2012 cycle. I do not have many HCE hours other then the few I've picked up this summer taking blood in a clinic and working with a doc in the local nursing home because I was concentrating on shadowing for med school. I have lots of shadowing hours. I play a sport at the university I attend and have managed to keep a 3.95 in my science GPA and a 3.87 total. I have all pre reqs and more because my major is technically a comprehensive bio degree. I also have an extreme amount of honor societies to list and honors as well as volunteer experiences. My GRE is not the best although it was over 1000. I realize I'm not going to get into the Dukes and schools that require the extreme amount of hours, but what is your opinion on my likelihood of getting in somewhere that suggests hours but doesn't require them. My main concern is that I'm only 22 without many hours (200) and my GRE isn't the best it could be; I'm a horrible standardized test taker. I have already submitted my CASPA application and just have to finish my supplemental applications. After reading all of these comments I am extremely discouraged. Any opinions?

benni d in Lexington, Kentucky

42 months ago

Devi10 in Escondido, California said: Hello all,

This is my second year applying to PA programs. I interviewed at NOVA Jacksonville last year and they said they liked me, but wanted to see some clinical experience. I have since become a phlebotomist. I was wondering if that seemed like a good step? Anyone here going to NOVA Jacksonville?

what was ur GRE and GPA score? Planning to apply there next yr

TKDBLOND72 in Tampa, Florida

42 months ago

Hello, has anyone heard from NOVA for an interview yet?

Thanks!

futurePA14

42 months ago

Hi TKDBLOND72, I turned in my supplemental application on July 6th and I haven't heard anything yet. Last time I applied they took 2 months to reply. When did you get all your information to them?

TKDBLOND72 in Tampa, Florida said: Hello, has anyone heard from NOVA for an interview yet?

Thanks!

42 months ago

FuturePA14: I got my supplemental application in the day after they sent out it to me in the email. I think it was mid June. Hopefully I hear from them in the next two months.

gigi6580 in Pompano Beach, Florida

42 months ago

FAUgradstudent in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I applied to Keiser as a back up program and got in. They have no reputation because they have never had a graduating class. The program is brand new. After my interview, I felt the school left me with a positive impression. The instructors seemed knowledgeable, the class size is only 18-20 so no one is going to slip through the cracks and all of their testing is done in a way which prepares you for the PANCE exam. I would apply to at least gain interview experience and keep it as an option.

Hi i was wondering if you did follow through with the keiser program. I was thinking of applying and wondering if its a good program. thanks

FAUgradstudent in San Francisco, California

42 months ago

HI! I did not end up following through with Keiser because I was accepted into my first choice program. But some people in my program have friends in Keiser who say they love it. The class size is under 20 students so it is like a family and everyone helps each other. I was left with a very good impression of the school when I interviewed, but I can not comment on whether or not it is a "good" school because I have never attended and it has never had a graduating class. I would definitely recommend applying at least to gain interviewing experience and to keep your options open. Good Luck!

Gabnerl in Jacksonville, Florida

41 months ago

Any interviews for NOVA Jacksonville? If so, would you mind sharing your stats? Thank you!

Steph1326 in Tampa, Florida

41 months ago

I applied to NOVA over a month ago and I have not heard anything from them yet.

LY5 in Livingston, Alabama

41 months ago

I applied to both NOVA Ft. Lauderdale and NOVA Ft. Myers and just recently received interview invitations. My Ft. Myers interview is on Sept. 29th and Ft. Lauderdale is on Oct. 31st. I read in the agenda that there is an essay before the interview. Any comments or tips for those essays? Thanks!!!

trewqio in Lake City, Florida

41 months ago

LY5 in Livingston, Alabama said: I applied to both NOVA Ft. Lauderdale and NOVA Ft. Myers and just recently received interview invitations. My Ft. Myers interview is on Sept. 29th and Ft. Lauderdale is on Oct. 31st. I read in the agenda that there is an essay before the interview. Any comments or tips for those essays? Thanks!!!

When did u send in ur application?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.