BECOMING A PHYSICIAN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Richard Riche in Boca Raton, Florida

64 months ago

Hello All

i'm hoping someone can guide and tell me what to do in my situation. i graduated a few years ago in health care administration, i was not very focused in school so i graduated with a very low GPA...after working in my field for a while i've decided that what i would really want to do with my life is becoming a psychiatrist...now i know that might be far fetch for someone who has not applied himself in pass, but its worth the try i and understand its a lot of hard work and i'm willing to do it. my only problem is that Med school requirements are very high and requires a GPA of over 3.5 and a high Mcat score, after i've calculated my current GPA even if i have As in all the pre-rec for Med school i will still be under a 2.7, i dont know what to do in that sitsuation. i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. is there a way i can start over and only transfer my good grades to my transcript. i could try to start from scratch from another school but i'm not sure if that possible not to mention there are some classes that i would rather not do over because i didnt do too bad in them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

2nd yr md student in College Station, Texas

62 months ago

i'm a 2nd yr med student and would advice u to either do a nurse practitioner specializing in mental health psychiatric PA, clinical psychology, or go to a foreign med school. psychiatry residencies are not very competitive and a lot of foreign MDs get in

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pete in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

One of my friends had a 2.7 GPA, but did very well on the MCAT exam and got admission.

suriyah in Arlington, Virginia

34 months ago

In terms of medical school, all is not lost. Several colleges have pre-med baccalaureate programs in which you can repeat the core medical school entry subjects ( biology, org chemistry etc) and get better grades. These will be considered separately from your undergrad courses. A lot of admissions offices take the time to review each individual application and recognize that not everyone was an A student the first time around. You can also just repeat those courses one by one - so if you got a low grade in org chem just retake that and they will see the improvement. Another option is visiting the school that you are interested in and asking " what can I do to improve my chances"? I would never give up.....

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.