low time pilots

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 99)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

want 2b a pilot in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

How do i move from 350 hours tt, i have no money left for any more flying. What do i do i will do anything and go anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (836) / No (147) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Metropolis, Illinois

81 months ago

What is Mesa?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Metropolis, Illinois

81 months ago

Do they have a website. And thanks for your help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

adam in Decatur, Alabama

81 months ago

rotor i have 1hr, tt 205hr I'm a Firefighter and I would like to start flying for air evac or medflight. I'm using my VA benifits to get my helicopter commercial. i need 1500 pic in rotor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Amir in Columbus, Ohio

79 months ago

list of pilot jobs different places in different places in the world:
Airline pilot jobs in
www.pilotscafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=792

Airline pilot jobs in Canada
www.pilotscafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=791

Airline pilot Job in the USA
www.pilotscafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=790

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Mike Duffy in Torrington, Connecticut

77 months ago

I need work I am Comm Multi Inst Land 1506 TT 290 Night, 400plus 210's 680 X-country 119 Inst, where the hell can I get work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Thanks, very rusty on IFR, looking for pipeline or fire patrol, have an interview on the 23rd with State of Florida, but I am alittle long in the tooth for the fire school 7 week course. I am studying for the ATP written almost ready. If you know of any pipeline or other work I would move now for it!!???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Keyport, New Jersey

76 months ago

Where are some reliable and "safety" come first schools to build multi time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sarah duffy in Narragansett, Rhode Island

76 months ago

Mike Duffy in Torrington, Connecticut said: I need work I am Comm Multi Inst Land 1506 TT 290 Night, 400plus 210's 680 X-country 119 Inst, where the hell can I get work?

hey its me sarah please give me a call.2018955766

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Sarah who? If its you, I sent you a B-day card it came back return to sender, I am not near a phone where I am working I am out on duty in the sticks. Sent card to 91 Orchard Emerson NJ. Hope you are well sent the card from Georgia last month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

What the hell are you doing i RI? Are you in another school? If so good for you. DAD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

my email is mduffyd05@optonline.net you can email me if you would like on my lap top. Dad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

David in Victoria, British Columbia

76 months ago

Do you need a IFR rating to get a job as a Pilot?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Luke Macintyre in Lompoc, California

73 months ago

adam in Decatur, Alabama said: rotor i have 1hr, tt 205hr I'm a Firefighter and I would like to start flying for air evac or medflight. I'm using my VA benifits to get my helicopter commercial. i need 1500 pic in rotor.

Hey,
I'm about to get out of the military, and I'm trying to find a way to use my VA benefits to get my commercial helicopter pilot's licence. Do you have any info on what they cover, and the best route to take to accomplish this? I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

luke.macintyre77@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

struggling pilot in Lodi, New Jersey

72 months ago

how did u go from becoming a pilot to beeing a lawyer. i have a college degree i have my multi comm , ifr but no luck with jobs so im looking to do sumthing else. any suggestions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

struggling pilot in Kearny, New Jersey

72 months ago

well i only have 300hrs n havnt flown in about 7 months because no job no money n still payin off my college debts lol i got my degree in airport management so thats not helping either. every where i look want at least 5 years of experience on an airport. some times i feel like all the time n money i spent in aviation was a total waist n if i had invest that money n time in other field i would be living a royal life. i dont even mind moving to a different country i heard in africa there are single engine jobs u know anythin about that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Fly Hi in Denver, Colorado

72 months ago

The following are my experiences: I was lucky and got hired by Big Sky Airlines (Beech 1900 operator, now non-existent) in July 2007 with 350 total time, 60 multi and no cfi. I got the job by throwing bags for them during college and flight training, and networking with the pilots. After 6 months and 300 hours flight time, they liquidated and layed me off. Shortly thereafter, I got a job with Republic Airlines flying the Embraer 170 out of Columbus, OH. After 6 months and 280 hours, they furloughed me (my last day flying was 9/4/08).

Now I am heading back to Denver and looking for a job. I got a degree in finance (aviation degrees are worthless -- don't get one) and am looking into law school...if I can find a way to pay for it. I got a taste of professional flying and loved it, but there are aspects I didn't like, such as the instability (think of the 950 United pilots being furloughed right now) and being away from home for many nights. I'm planning on exploring other jobs and waiting for a recall.

Here's some advice for anyone wanting to fly professionaly: get a non-aviation degree to fall back on, treat everyone in the aviation world with respect...it's a small world, be ready to relocate because commuting (flying into base) is horrible, and find a partner who can deal with being alone for many nights.

The bottom line is this: it's all about timing and who you know.

Displaced Legal Professional, would you e-mail me? I have some law-related questions. Andrew300tt@gmail.com. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sk in Málaga, Spain

71 months ago

Hi buddies....i also have low hours....im thinking seriously to to the TR+LT prog of Eaglejet for B 737-NG...has anyone of you been there?I want to find out all info before going.
Im from Spain so have JAA CPL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sk in Málaga, Spain

71 months ago

Sorry for not having the same opinion...i think you have paid and everyone has paid to get his/her CPL...you paid to school for flying.Eaglejet is only another way to build hours,but on type.
I dont like also paying for flying,but i have undergone through very deep problems and if i want to work as pilot,i dont have any other option.
So i request everyone who could give me infor about Eaglejet,if they do the base training also there and other info,would be grateful.
Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sk in Málaga, Spain

71 months ago

Displaced Legal :
Dont you think in these years i have tried other methods to join any company,small or big...You cant imagine that i have sent cv´s all across the globe...but till today all have replied me the same,im not qualified for them or they are not looking for crew right now...from last 6 months i have been sending cv´s like donkey!but nothing!!
Eaglejet charges 32.000€ for TR+LT 500hours on 737NG..if i do TR here it costs me about 25.000€+VAT...so i prefer to pay 3-4k more and gain experience.I have around 300 flying hours...and im crazy for any job...but its quite impossible..i dont have that luck that others may have...im trying my best since last year!
I have already checked in pprune and jetcareers...
If you have info or any does please let me know!
Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Debra in Warrensburg, Missouri

71 months ago

I've finally found a real person with real experience!
My husband is in flight school and has, as many young pilots do, unrealistic expectations about how to get a job- I have failed to convince him that these jobs do not fall from the sky. He will have at least of 250 PIC when he gets done in May- not nearly enough. So I have a few questions:
1. Do regionals and other employers higher below the minimums on their websites?
2. He insists that he doesn't want to be a CFI (despite that making sense). So, what non-regional options does he have?
3. How long before he graduates should he start sending resumes and really looking?

Thanks so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Debra in Warrensburg, Missouri

71 months ago

Aw, thanks. He says that, too (most of the time).
Another question:
What about Quantas? They have a training program that doesn't cost you anything if you sign a 4-year contract with them. If you don't sign it, the training will cost you $20,000-$40,000. Once you've completed the training, you can apply for First Officer with them. Is that the same kind of thing as the Eagle Jet deal or is it legit?

Is there anything similar to that stateside?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jim Abel in Saint George, Utah

70 months ago

I've noticed FedEx flying Carvans out of our home airport and thought it would be fun to fly part-time afternoon/evenings to build hours and earn extra money. Any ideas on requirements, pay, hours, etc.

I've enjoyed reading your posts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bored paramedic in Normangee, Texas

69 months ago

what kind of hours are involved in getting CFI. I have always loved to fly. I solo'd in High School. I thought I would certainly continue in aviation for a career of some kind. But Alas I fell in love and didn't stick with it. I would trade it for the world but I am interested in getting back into flying. I am preparing to drop out of the paramedic gig and move into a business of my own that will have a significant amount of flexible extra hours. I enjoy teaching and love to fly CFI sounds like a blast!

bored paramedic in Normangee, Texas

69 months ago

correction I would never trade my current life for anything. But am very interested in stirring some flight time when possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jake21 in Belmar, New Jersey

68 months ago

Is this the "Infamous" Mad Mike who bought a beautiful Akita named Jake?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

irishblueskies2009 in Sudbury, Ontario

67 months ago

i was wondering if anyone out there could give me there opinions:
im currently pilot training and will finish with a CPL Single IFR Night Rating , i have the option to either do a multi rating / multi ifr OR flight instructor rating , im curious if anyone can guide to the jobs available area , as im not too sure i want to be an instructor , ill roughly finish my course with around 210 hours or so , im from ireland , training in canada , any ideas of where i could be looking for a jobs?????
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

yeah i know of pprune very well , yeah ill prob end up with the instructor rating , thanks anyway and if u know of anything pop up a post and ill keep an eye on this forum ,
cheers mate

Stefan Kaufmann in Wallisellen, Switzerland

67 months ago

Hi irishblueskies2009
My suggestion is to get back to Europe and get a job there after you have converted your licence. You always have the best chances if you are local. Just my 5 cents...
If you plan to work in Canada, try to get your instructor licence. BTW, Canadian Licences will be accepted in the future by EASA and vice versa...! That could be interesting news for you...

Regarding boards: Try www.flightwork.com. Not just a boatrd but also lots of other useful info for pilots. And: Its non-commercial and almost ad-free.
Cheers

67 months ago

Yeah when canadian licences are excepted by EASA that will be one hell of a relief , sooner the better ,

Dan in Arlington, Texas

66 months ago

want 2b a pilot in Toronto, Ontario said: How do i move from 350 hours tt, i have no money left for any more flying. What do i do i will do anything and go anywhere.

I seemed to find my success in Flight Instruction. Although, i don't practice as much anymore, I obtained it at 400 hrs. The FAA only required you to have 3 flight hours within 90 days of your exam, and if you go to a local Flight Standards District Office, the exam is free. I soon met insurance requirements for a radio station and have accumulated over 2000 additional hours.

Also, there are aircraft dealers and brokers out there that will hire contract pilots with low time. Hope this helps.

Dan

Monguse in Hilo, Hawaii

65 months ago

Part 135 airtaxi operators are varied in their salaries and flight schedules. For
some, there are only occasional days off during the busy months. Others
offer scheduled days off and some even have a two-week-on-two-week-off
schedule. There are also some that provide medical insurance and even
a few who have retirement programs, but most of them don't provide much other
than a guaranteed monthly minimum pay plus flight pay for hours flown above the guarantee.

Probably the best way to get a job flying in Alaska if you don't have
a thousand hours or more, is to move there and give flight instruction
until you acquire the hours necessary. Anchorage would be a good starting
point. Take Flight Alaska often hires flight instructors as there is a
fairly steady turnover as pilot/flight instructors move on to air taxi jobs.
AeroTech at Merrill field in Anchorage may hire flight instructors from time
to time also. The Aero Club at Elmendorf Airforce base also provides
civilian flight instruction and Artic's Air Academy Air in Palmer is another.
There are some flight schools in Fairbanks and there may be one in Juneau also,
There are also a couple on the Kenai Peninsula south of Anchorage.

Penair sometimes hires right-seat co-pilots who have just the commercial
license and instrument rating and less than 500 hours, but this doesn't happen very
often, and they require at least a two year employee contract.

Seasonal Alaska flight operations are geared primarily to tourism. This includes scenic flights, bear viewing, sports fishing and hunting (guided and unguided). Not all operators are involved with hunting, on the other hand, some are geared strictly to hunting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Monguse in Hilo, Hawaii

65 months ago

Many of them focus on scenic tours and sports fishing. Scenic tours go on year 'round. Sports fishing happens from May through September and even into October for some areas of Alaska. There are also lodges which operate their own airplanes and, for the most part, cater to wealthy people seeking unique and remote fishing and hunting opportunities.

Many places in Alaska are busiest during the winter months because they transport supplies, mail and people to and from town and between native villages and remote settlements. Many villages and settlements are totally dependent on airplanes for the transportation of groceries, mail, construction materials and passenger flights to and from hubs such as Anchorage, Fairbanks or Bethel, Ketchikan, Sitka or Juneau, from villages in the interior and along the Yukon River and in southeast or western Alaska.

Oil exploration and supplying oil-industry-related camps on the North Slope provide other major wintertime uses for airplanes. Wintertime North Slope flight operations are usually flown by experienced pilots flying turbine-powered aircraft in the winter darkness...much of the time on instruments.

Some Alaska flying-jobs are offered any time of the year. But most Alaska pilot job postings begin seasonally in late December, increase in January and peak in February/March. They begin to subside in April and slow down more in May. Most initial and recurrent training classes for Alaska flight operations regulated by FARs Part 135 (most of them) are finished by the end of May and some classes are held as early as mid-April. There are a few larger companies that hold initial training classes at other times of the year, but most operators have hired pilots for the season by the end of May. Nevertheless, some pilot jobs do become available any time of the year.

September, October, (Several new job postings for October and November) November and most of December are the slowest months for Alaska flying-job offers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Monguse in Hilo, Hawaii

65 months ago

Experience gained flying in Alaska is invaluable from a personal and professional standpoint. Alaska time is looked upon with unreserved respect by most of the airlines . Nevertheless, many pilots who start out in Alaska end up staying there for their whole flying career because it's fun, challenging, personally rewarding and adventurous.

Time spent as a professional pilot in Alaska produces more satisfaction than almost any other civilian flying job. Alaskan pilots provide unique and necessary services that generate heartfelt appreciation, respect and enduring friendships.

It's truly enjoyable to fly airplanes for a living. The day-to-day adventure provided by Alaska bush flying is hard to rival unless you're an astronaut, a test pilot, a miltary fighter pilot, a hurricane-penetration pilot or an off-the-wall covert-ops pilot engaged in some weird flying mission somewhere in the world.

Skill, judgement and intuition all come into play daily in various combinations as you gain Alaska flying experience. The trade off between flying five and a half hours in a straight line at 40,000 feet or winding your way up a wilderness river or flying low through a range of high mountains, is all a matter of personal priority. Money is probably a big influence. You can eventually make a substantial salary flying high...in a straight line...on instruments in turbine-powered aircraft, That kind of flying job is occasionally interpersed with amazing events, but is filled mostly with hours of straight-line boredom.
Alaska bush pilots don't make as much money as the pilot who carries hundreds of people or many tons of cargo in long straight lines over vast distances, but they exercise many skills on a daily basis and have a lot more fun.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Santa Cruz, California

64 months ago

Great thread!

I have 400 hrs, 200 Xc, 20 MEL, Commercial and Inst. in both MEL and SEL.

I understand the instructing route is probably the best time builder and I will take that path, but I was curious the pay I could anticipate.

Dirt pay I know, but the future is calling as I graduate college with a B.S. in Business Management Economics in June and real life is staring me down.

Flying is my passion and I will have to suck it up for a few years with little pay to achieve my dream.

Thanks for any help!

agk in Athens, Ohio

63 months ago

Is there a great website that lists positions for pilots? I am commercial rated and looking for something like flying parachute jumpers, pipeline patrol, fire patrol, etc. but I'm having trouble finding reliable websites to help me with my search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

US_Choper_Pilot

62 months ago

As a commercial helicopter pilot, I would like to be an asset to your forum. So please send me any and all referrals. I will assist in any way possible.

Cristian in Rye, New York

58 months ago

What could I do? I have a comercial single engine pilot license, I got it in chile and my medical expired(with 210 hours). Is there anything I could do in the states?

MissAviator08@hotmail.com in Mooresville, Indiana

57 months ago

Hello! I'm a helicopter pilot, just got my private license and I'm working towards my IFR and Commercial and I'm trying to find a way to build hrs without having to be a CFI. Do you (or anyone) know if you have to have 1,500 hrs to give tours or photog rides? Also, do you recommend any flight schools to further my training?

I appreciate your help Thank You,
Nichole K. Miner
(aka)
Miss Aviator

57 months ago

Ok, I will look into those sites, thank you! :) And you might hear back from me on this site, if that's ok...

`Nichole K.

57 months ago

Yes, I had a mentor, I would fly around with him at work as a non-essential co-pilot however unfortunately that turned sour when he gave me the choice to keep flying with him and ...("pay")... I had to pick a moral high ground and cease that hr building. :( It was a great opportunity though, for as long as I got to enjoy it and I learned so much. I'm just devastated now though and I don't know who to turn to that can help me as a young, broke, low-hr, high enthusiasm pilot. Where there's a will- there's a way though, I suppose. :)

Nealm7 in Rockwood, Michigan

56 months ago

I am currently a flight instructor in Michigan. I am going to have my paramedics license soon. I am wondering if anyone has heard of any jobs that would require both. I know that Life Flight type ops have a separate pilot and medic. That's not what I am looking for. I am just wondering if anyone has heard of any potentially obscure jobs that I could utilize my education to the fullest. Thanks

Kurt in Oakville, Ontario

56 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: A couple of rotor pilots have asked questions. Maybe you can go back through the forum and answer them. I am airplane pilot and couldn't help. Thanks!

Cristian could you please tell me where in Chile you got your licence as I am going there next year and I'm finding it difficult to find places to get my licence in. Thanks

George Alex in Ernakulam, India

56 months ago

Hi,I was thinking of doing training in Alaska and stay as an instructor till i get to a 1000 and then get flying with a cargo company.Do you think schools will hire me since im a foreign national?

nim in Richmond Hill, Ontario

56 months ago

I'm a certified commercial pilot with Multi-engine, Night, IFR rating in Canada.
My flight hours and reamineed at 240 hrs, and I haven't flown for past 5 months.

To tell you the truth, I've wasted my last five month in looking for an employment in charters and regional airlines, a huge mistake of thinking myself as a good candidate, and a result of lack of reserch.

Upon the completion of integrated training back in summer 2009, I did not want further trainings for an instructor rating (cost, tired of trainings...etc.) and I had had a stupid belief that I would be a good candidate employee anywhere acorss the nation.

But the reality wasn't generous for somebody with 240hrs. and that i did have no clue until I've found this my last-hopeful forum.

Seemingly flight instructing is my only option at the moment, so my question regards the matter

IS instructing only option to be a commercial pilot....
Would there be better opportunities of instructing in the states than Canada ?
What is the course costing like...(here in canada it ranges around 10,000 CAD for a 4 month course)
Should I look for a course with apprenticeship program to gurantee my employment off the completion of the course?
I mean what's the unemployment rate like for insturctor candidate...if you have any clue

p.s Im currently working at Pearson as a service agent, Does it have any good on my resumen or am i just wasting time.....

any advice you could give me on these, it would be greatly appreciated

Cheers !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

stefan72 in Horgen, Switzerland

56 months ago

Hi there, sorry to hear that you are still looking for a job. While I am not very familiar with the present job market in North America, I do believe that working at the airport as service agent is still better than doing nothing or say a similar job not related to aviation. But I do recommend to seriously look at instruction, it's actually in many ways more rewarding (not in financial terms of course) than flying an airliner. After having been flying airline and corporate, I have have to say that I feel quite happy with instructional activities. So, yes, go for the Flight Instructor Job, work as such and get more experience and move on when the time has come.
A training unit offering a job guarantee after completion would most likely be a good choice. Good luck,
Stefan
www.flightwork.com - International Pilot Network

jmanoemano in Denver, Colorado

55 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Flight instructing is the classic entry-level pilot job. It's the easiest entry-level pilot job obtainable.

You need flight time and flight instructing is a great way to build it. Hopefully you are not like some new pilots who won't consider instructing because their hands won't be on the controls. Instructors still have opportunities to fly the airplane. The greater benefit is the unbelievable knowledge and experience one gains from instructing.

I instructed for over 3000 hours and was still learning. Although I trained students for ratings, my students were some of the best instructors *I* ever had.

To instruct in the U.S. you would need FAA certificates and ratings. You would have to prove you have the right to work in the U.S. I haven't followed hiring lately, but I can say with great confidence that pilot jobs generally are hard to come by.

Try looking in Air Jobs Digest and Trade-A-Plane for jobs. I believe both pubs have websites. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Hello Displaced Legal Professional,

I've been reading your reply's here on this blog and couldn't help to notice that you are from Denver, CO. I just moved here from Houston, TX and I am looking for work. I am a new CFI 300 hours total. I've been trying all of the local flight schools but at the moment everybody is slow. Since you are from here I was just wondering if maybe you knew a direction that I might have not looked at yet.

Thanks,
Jmanoemano

jmanoemano in Denver, Colorado

55 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: One more rather mediocre idea for you. Great Lakes Airlines is a regional headquartered in Cheyenne - just up the road from Denver. For that reason you might keep it in mind just to touch base sometime. Here's the website:

www.flygreatlakes.com/

Again, a mediocre idea, but I thought you might find it of interest.

I appreciate your suggestions I will check around some more. If you ever feel the need to go up again give me a shout. I'll ride along with. Until then I'll be around.

Ice in Orlando, Florida

55 months ago

I've been flying for 7years now, have not got a job yet...900hrs TT 360 multi...not sure if i should go on with flying it has been costly...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ARMY CHOPPER PILOT in Apo

55 months ago

Ice in Orlando, Florida said: I've been flying for 7years now, have not got a job yet...900hrs TT 360 multi...not sure if i should go on with flying it has been costly...

If you can email me. I will put you in the right direction and discuss your options. turnairaero@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.