Question/Advice from Pipe welders, Amp settings for pipe test, Machine recommendation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

189 in Brocton, Illinois

54 months ago

Jacant in Lafayette, Indiana said: I am taking a pipe test in 3 weeks, 2"XXH E6010 root, E7018 cap. Question #1 What should my amp/heat range of settings be on root and the cap. Question #2 I'm going to buy a machine off ebay or rent a machine to practice. Not sure if I would be okay with a Miller 150STH or Lincoln 160-T or basic Lincoln arc machine. Or if I should go straight for Miller Maxstar 200. My question here is, how much should spend or what level machine should I look at to make sure my practice is not lost in a crappy machine. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Also, Later I'll be taking a test with same pipe 2"XXH with GTAW Root ER70S-2 / SMAW Cap E7018 filler metal. Any recommendations on the setting?? 3/32 gap or 1/8 to be safe?

If you have any welding skill you just weld the dam thing adjust as needed. When in the field the welder may not have any number on the dial, all wear off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

sky in Spruce Grove, Alberta

53 months ago

This one guy says to switch back and forth from dcen to dcep, when at the boilermakers learning center, they had us practicing our pipe welding on the DCEP for the whole thing. It makes sense right. 2/3rds of your arc is on the negative side, so having it dcep will burn the rod slower, giving you the control you need to burn in a nice 6010 root. The amps sound right at 75 for the root. Then just finish off your fill and cap and you got her. Hope it helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

2twenty2 in Huntington Beach, California

53 months ago

sky in Spruce Grove, Alberta said: This one guy says to switch back and forth from dcen to dcep, when at the boilermakers learning center, they had us practicing our pipe welding on the DCEP for the whole thing. It makes sense right. 2/3rds of your arc is on the negative side, so having it dcep will burn the rod slower, giving you the control you need to burn in a nice 6010 root. The amps sound right at 75 for the root. Then just finish off your fill and cap and you got her. Hope it helps.

DCEN(DC-) is for GTAW root and hot pass(ER70S-2). You cant TIG weld with DCEP. But after the hot pass when filling with 7018, I was just reminding him to switch back to DCEP. 7018 can only run on DCEP or AC.

As far as 6010 root pass, your correct about welding on DCEP being that 6010 can only be ran on DCEP. He was asking about two different tests. One with stick out,
and the other TIG root,stick out.(I wonder how he did)!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sky in Spruce Grove, Alberta

53 months ago

yeh didnt know about the tig process, thought it was only smaw. Yeh I wonder how he did?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MCW in Springfield, Missouri

53 months ago

hey bro been doin this for awhile they are correct on the heat have to adjust on the fly the test are easy if you know how to weld for me on tig root and hot i run depending on the machine around 120 amps on old 8 banks its like 30 amps they run hot as hell for stickin it out i run about the same 120 amps for 3/32 rod when i tig the root i use a 5/32 gap and 1/8th inch rod for 6010 i use 1/8th inch gap and 5/32 landing i run about 100 amps on the 1/8th 6010 rod hope it helps have fun

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.