HELP !!!!!!!!! Is there anyone out there who can handle the job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 84 of 84)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Trent in Bastian, Virginia

86 months ago

I'm not sure how much farther we can go with this, I myself am about ready to call the dogs. It seems to me (with all due respect; 1983 was a long time ago) that the information given does not correspond with the dimensions or the answer. A "6 inch vert" I assume is a 6" piece of pipe plumbed straight up and down; and that a "45 vert" would be a piece of pipe on a 45 degree incline. If you want to offset up from the end of a vertical piece of 6" pipe with a 45 fitting using a horizontal traveling distance set at 78.5" then the offset piping would be 111" c to c (cut length 103 1/8")(assuming another 45 on the far end). This bottom 45 can be spun around horizontally 360 to point any direction. But to utilize the cut length answer of 12' 3 13/16" the horizontal traveling distance would change to 110" not the given 78.5" If you want to use the given 12' 3 13/16" cut length AND the given 78.5" traveling distance AND have an offset piece of piping turned out 45 degrees AND inclined 45 degrees then it will have to be done with a 60 degree fitting on the end of a piece of HORIZONTAL running pipe. It can be rolled to point 45 degrees to the side when viewed from above and it will be inclined 45 when viewed perpendicularlly from a certain side, and run out at 78.5" ahead of where it started.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Trent in Norton, Virginia

86 months ago

One more thought, if the offset I mentioned last were built (a 12'3 13/16" cut lenth, with a 60 degree fitting on each end, placed on the end of a horizontal pipe) and the horizontal pipe were stood up vertical, then it seems the offset would simply be a "60 degree vert" which could be spun around and around. It would have a horizontal traveling distance of 135 15/16" and a vertical traveling distance of 78.5" This was all done on scratch paper with a calculator and some books, while having plenty of time being layed off. I would have a hard time realizing the situation in the field from scratch if it wasn't somewhat on a blueprint to start with. Anyways, I wouldn't be able to entirely fill your position and would have probably been fired for taking so long. Futhermore if any of this doesn't fit your situation then I would have to have it REexplained from the beginning. Good luck finding a good hand, I know it's aggravating not getting all of the time off that you are expecting and wanting. By the way, I appreciated the advice about not being short tempered, arrogant, and a know it all, and being open minded. I've found that one has to be willing for change in order to succeed. One thought that came to me that I'll leave with you, it seems that if a person was completely open minded, they wouldn't be able to claim to know anything, but would be in a position to learn everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jrobichaux in New Orleans, Louisiana

86 months ago

trent, northfert gruman,( i think that is how you spell it) is always looking for good hands in the gulf area. and there is a site called industeral project reports forum. check out the hot list. and if you can do hull work and structual, then check out weeks marine. if you e-mail me at jwrobichaux@hotmail.com, i well past some names for you. good luck in finding something.

Trent in Bastian, Virginia

86 months ago

Thanks friend. I might check you out sometime. Yeah Northrop Grumman has been on my mind for sometime. I can't seem to hire in with them up here on VA coast. Don't have any shipyard experience and up here I think they're mostly U.S. Navy so they're not very likely to take some green inlander right straight in. But they did invite me down there for an interview at Avondale. It's still an open invite I reckon. Of course I think that's standard procedure to see who shows up and who don't. They've been looking for pipe fitters and pipe welders for several months. Now there asking for trainees even. Never could find out what the pay might be and if there was per diem. Per diem seems to maybe becoming a thing of the past. Anyways, it's over 800 miles down there, I'm the last one around here right now, if I leave there won't be anyone here much to check on things. Couldn't hardly get back on a weekend. My mom stays gone driving a truck cross country, dad's working out of town with school construction. I do have a brother here but he's already busy looking after mom's things. This black shaggy dog I've took up with would probably die of multiple heat strokes while fighting cottonmouths if I brung him. But yeah, I've been looking at it. I have a grandma in NW GA, about half way there. Thought about going to see her and maybe come on down that way, stay a couple of nights maybe at St. Bernard SP, see what things looked like. Your name looks French, you seem like you might be a native to there. I been wondering what kind of neighborhood it might be. Was curious if your work was offshore some. Anyways I'm just rattling on I'll stop for now.

jrobichaux in New Orleans, Louisiana

86 months ago

trent, also try masse contractors, they might have work in the area. and ship yard work is not that hard, i have seen fits in the ship yards where they left a 1/2" crack or better and was still good enough. and if it is bigger than that ,they have a ceramic backing they use to jump the gap or slug it and weld it up. grind down the side. run a sanding pad, and paint, make it look good and pass the U.T. test, and move to the next fit. most of the iron is per cut. it is like playing with lagos- if you can read prints,and fit pipe, all the other type fitting is easy. once again good luck

Rob in Fishkill, New York

86 months ago

jwrobichaux in New Orleans, Louisiana said: I have been working for three years in the GOM. every time they send someone to releave me, they fall short of what they say they are and gets fired. then i have to return from my days off early. is there anymore real fitters left?

Pipefitter welder w/ 25yrs exp all phases .ref. upon req. looking for steady job. 6G combo carbon and stanless steel. have osha 10hr.confined space cert.twic card

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

pipefighterpaul in Roanoke, Virginia

86 months ago

jrobichaux in New Orleans, Louisiana said: 6" pipe on the vert. 45's to the side with a travel of 6'-6 1/2".
it is also rolled 45 deg. out of sq. butt weld fittings,black iron pipe, and 6GR tig procedures. what is your cut length?

take out 2 6in 45s 3 3/4 each duh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Blouin in Wilmington, Ohio

83 months ago

It's a classic rolling offset. He clearly gave all the information needed by telling us its "rolled on a 45 degree angle". Clearly telling us that instead of relying on a squared plus b squared equals c squared, we can simply use the principals of a 45 degree triangle and multiply by the square root of two to solve our "true" run of the triangle within the imaginary box.

22 years experience and distinguished honor graduate pipefitter apprentice 1991. it's a shame there is little formal training anymore.

One more thing, your welder will dictate his gap. Ask him, do not assume. I have had welders want gaps from 3/32 to 1/4 inch(rare).

Jason in Carrollton, Texas

83 months ago

jwrobichaux in New Orleans, Louisiana said: I have been working for three years in the GOM. every time they send someone to releave me, they fall short of what they say they are and gets fired. then i have to return from my days off early. is there anymore real fitters left?

Yes, I am an experienced fitter, please email me at jshugpipefitter@yahoo.com

eward3591@*****.*** in Salt Lake City, Utah

83 months ago

beermantm in Palos Hills, Illinois said: jwrobichaux,

Here is your original question:
6" pipe on the vert. 45's to the side with a travel of 6'-6 1/2".
it is also rolled 45 deg. out of sq. butt weld fittings,black iron pipe, and 6GR tig procedures. what is your cut length?

I was reading this thread and noticed you ask a question then give an answer which I still do not understand. You give a travel as the only measurement on a problem that looks like nothing more than a rolling offset. In order to solve a rolling offset you need the set+roll and not the travel. Why would you ever multiply a travel by 1.414? You use 1.414 to find the travel.

Also if you are on a vertical run you probably are never going to need to do a rolling offset since finding the set is usually a straight forward process. When you run horizontally you may find a spot where you may have to climb a few feet and over a few feet at the same time and you will need to figure a rolling offset. On a rare occasion that you can't drop a plumb bob for a vertical run you may need to do a rolling offset for a vertical run. I highly doubt you'll ever run into a situation where all you know is the travel length of your C2C measurement.

Your question also never mentions the fact that you are using butt weld flanges. You do have butt weld fittings in it but no mention of flanges. I don't understand how the flanges would make a difference to the length anyway.

I'm just not getting what you are asking I guess but now you got me thinking about this stuff.

Thanks

2(a2+b2)=rolling offset

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

eward3591@*****.*** in Salt Lake City, Utah

83 months ago

All this talk about offsets and travels its easy stuff boys,the way the economy is going we wont have any real jobs,to illistrate your problem make mock up with a piece of stainless wire or welding rod and see it better than an iso drawing,everything can be figured out,any West coast jobs that require an really experienced jouneyman and graduate apprentice.I am out of #638 the top local in this country.Amen

Giesecke in Brazoria, Texas

82 months ago

The problem is that you'll never get a real pipefitter this day and age for less than 36.00 an hour unless they're paying doubletime after eight and on weekends, and the per diem needs to be right too. Thats why only Inserv, TWS, JV Industrial, and WHM have all the best people. If look at the stats on this site it says that pipe hands average around 45,000 a year. I don't know any pipefitters that gross less than 90,000 a year. Most are way over that.

macfrat in Reseda, California

79 months ago

what is the formula for finding the center of a fabricated fitting from a 90 degree ell or a 45 ell

DN in Myton, Utah

79 months ago

macfrat in Reseda, California said: what is the formula for finding the center of a fabricated fitting from a 90 degree ell or a 45 ell

Check out 'www.pipesaddlelayout.com. There is a page where you can enter the roll/set/advance to get the fitting angle and the travel length; or enter roll/set/angle elbow to get the advance and travel lengths. There is a page to find "cut length" of pipe between ells. Also there is a page for running offsets if the "exit" pipe is exiting at angle. Hope this helps.

DNC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jwrobichaux in Bourg, Louisiana

79 months ago

are we looking for the take out or the actual center of the face?

Piping Instructor in Oxford, United Kingdom

79 months ago

macfrat in Reseda, California said: what is the formula for finding the center of a fabricated fitting from a 90 degree ell or a 45 ell

Take the actual measurement of the back and neck of the ell
Formula: Actual length of the back of ell devide it by 90 (if your material is 90 deg. ell) then multiply it by the required degrees.
The same formula with the neck of ell.
Mark the back and neck of ell that came from the answers, mark and connect them using wrap around.

79 months ago

jwrobichaux in Bourg, Louisiana said: are we looking for the take out or the actual center of the face?

face to center

Leo in Decatur, Illinois

79 months ago

This is all so phony. Make it green and you'll get all the real pipfitters you need. We are money motivated craftsmen, and won't work when there is better pay to be made. Just maybe you are working too cheap or real pipefitters won't eat from that plate.

jrobichaux in Thibodaux, Louisiana

79 months ago

job has already been filled, so find somthing else to do with your time

79 months ago

Leo in Decatur, Illinois said: This is all so phony. Make it green and you'll get all the real pipfitters you need. We are money motivated craftsmen, and won't work when there is better pay to be made. Just maybe you are working too cheap or real pipefitters won't eat from that plate.

right on leo

79 months ago

RIGHT ON LEO

RayInIllinois in Joliet, Illinois

79 months ago

Hey need some advice for a up coming Apprenticeship Pipefitter interview... Anyone?

Mic in Pflugerville, Texas

79 months ago

When are you going to get off that question? I have worked with some excellent fitters who maybe couldn't solve your boxed 45 degree problem, but manly it is the wording of the question because when it is rotated diagonally to go across the "box" it changes the dimensions of travel and run. at any rate that problem will never come up probably in 10,000 fits. What really counts is getting the day to day task done safely and timely and correctly, and I've seen some very tricky rigging done on undersides of our Gulf Of Mexico platforms that would blow the socks off things being done on land. That's all I have to say.

Pipefitter in New York, New York

76 months ago

I also had problems. I ordered the worksheet for devices. All offsets always with an example.

global.ebay.com/search?Query=work+for+pipefitter

Greeting

Pipe fitter in New York, New York

76 months ago

I also had problems. I ordered the worksheet for devices. All offsets always with an example.

"global.ebay.com/search?Query=work+for+pipefitter"

Greeting

76 months ago

"global.ebay.com/search?Query=work+for+pipefitter"

Greeting

76 months ago

Sorry, my computer and I ;-)

bwflash in La Place, Louisiana

73 months ago

Aaron in Cold Lake, Alberta said: [All the REAL fitters are in Canada

lol that was a good one. Must never left canada before.

shawn in Texas City, Texas

73 months ago

1.414 is only when using a 45 ell though. That all changes if you have an odd degree in your travel.

lynweld in Lynchburg, Virginia

71 months ago

I'm in Lynchburg, Va and in need of an experienced pipefitter. The job starts in a week and I cannot find any help. I'm trying to find someone who can layout the system to code and prepare it for weld. I can handle the welding. The job will be about 3 weeks on the first phase and 3 weeks on the second phase. Please e-mail me at matt@lynchburgweldingservices.com. Thanks.

john hughes in Bismarck, North Dakota

64 months ago

rhodes in Houston, Texas said: I'm a welder/Pipefitter/SR.Piping Designer/Detailer, I sure get tired of sitting in this office, if you are for real about a job that pays good and allows me to actually be outside instead of at this desk all day everyday, then i would like a chance to talk with you.

You guys are funny always a pissing contest with welders the. Truth is and you know it our profession is not that hard, if you got it you got it if your still struggling after let's say five years to be gracefull give it up but do commend yourself on the effort. I've only been in the field for 14 years and bring in just about ten grand a week sometimes more when well heads are used well that's it I guess i was just on here trying to learn different ways of doing things because I don't know everything and learn something new everyday no matter how much I think or wish I knew good luck in your search for a replacement

3712rocky in Greensboro, North Carolina

60 months ago

run & travel are 1 to 1 where i come from you just dismiss funny angles & turn your sights on 90 degrees in the other way no need to make it hard. OMG

Creamofthesteam in Clifton Park, New York

60 months ago

Youll be going in circles my friend

Creamofthesteam in Clifton Park, New York

60 months ago

Rob in Fishkill, New York said: Pipefitter welder w/ 25yrs exp all phases .ref. upon req. looking for steady job. 6G combo carbon and stanless steel. have osha 10hr.confined space cert.twic card

773 South Glens Falls NY.try the hall or have your BA call are you union my friend?

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.