Want to start Pipefitting

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 61)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

markhamilton in Calgary, Alberta

118 months ago

Hi i have several questions about pipe fitting and how to get myself started in this trade. I want to know basically how to get started in this business? I live Just outside Calgary Alberta, Canada and am willing to go to school for an apprenticeship but i think it would be smarter to get on with a company who will pay for your schooling if you are staying with them after your school is done. And if there are any better companies than others? if there is a company willing to hire me and to put me through school or train me could you please contact me. Also post any comments that will help me out at all. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

jerry toms in Fort Wayne, Indiana

113 months ago

john robichaux in Thibodaux, Louisiana said: although some people think that pipefitting and plumbing is the same thing, most of the time they are sadly mistaken. pipefitters may have to understand complex routing system as you would find in prosessing equipment. plumbers mostly have to know that the hot gose on the left, and crap rolls down hill. in no way am i tring to discredet plumbers. all i am tring to say is that there is a reson why there are the two differnt titles.

What about an underground rough for a hospital? The best layout people I know carry a plumbers book, and I am in a plumbers and fitters combination local.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Burton Poole in Bangor, Maine

113 months ago

Mark Hamilton in Calgary, Alberta said: Hi i have several questions about pipe fitting and how to get myself started in this trade. I want to know basically how to get started in this business? I live Just outside Calgary Alberta, Canada and am willing to go to school for an apprenticeship but i think it would be smarter to get on with a company who will pay for your schooling if you are staying with them after your school is done. And if there are any better companies than others? if there is a company willing to hire me and to put me through school or train me could you please contact me. Also post any comments that will help me out at all. Thanks

books is how you learn the one i used was S.D. BOWMAN easy to understand you basicaly have to know everything about a right triangle and a circle a all pipefitting problems are worked by dividing the fit or the pipe or pipes into right triangles.if you noticed the take out on your 45s are repatitious 2 inche pipe the takeout is 1 and one qurter and 4 inch is twice that 6 inch is three times that and so on the math is the most important thing get to know it get to love it thats what makes a good pipefitter to know the math in his head without having to take the time to figure the math you should know it off the top of your head the key word to pipe is math learn it

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

ken in Lethbridge, Alberta

111 months ago

Mark Hamilton in Calgary, Alberta said: Hi i have several questions about pipe fitting and how to get myself started in this trade. I want to know basically how to get started in this business? I live Just outside Calgary Alberta, Canada and am willing to go to school for an apprenticeship but i think it would be smarter to get on with a company who will pay for your schooling if you are staying with them after your school is done. And if there are any better companies than others? if there is a company willing to hire me and to put me through school or train me could you please contact me. Also post any comments that will help me out at all. Thanks

just go to local488 on googel

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan in Greenwood, Indiana

111 months ago

Why does everybody get on here and make complete fools out of themselves asking for jobs that they know nothing about. Here's a hint! If you cant spell then don't type messages on the internet asking for jobs! As far as the original post goes, I recommend you contact some companies in the area and ask if they have an apprentice program. They will usually hire you quickly as long as you can pass a drug test and then you can work and see if you like the career and you will also meet other people at work and you can pick there brain and see where they worked or want to work...

This way is a lot easier than going through the union! Nothing against the union but with them you have to apply then show proof of math classes, then take an assessment, then go through a lengthy interview process, then they put your name on a list and you have to wait till they have an opening. Who has time for all that waiting to get a low paying apprentice position!

Just my 2 cents!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

scott in Racine, Wisconsin

110 months ago

Just like a scab to say something like that!! Union is the only way to go, when the scab gets laid he wont have anywhere to go, no health insurance!! In a union you have options all across the U.S and Canada with great wages and good benefites. Ask the scab how his pension is doing!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan in Greenwood, Indiana

110 months ago

I'm not union and i have great benefits including company paid health, life, dental, vision, pension, & profit sharing. Never been laid off! I also get paid based on my abilities (merit shop) not on how long i've been in the union. Oh yeah did i mention the free college education too? Not hating on the union but just saying there are other options out there. Most guys I know in the union are laid off right now applying for work with our company. Just my 2 cents worth.

And a scab is someone who crosses a union picket line not a person who works for a living for a non union company. Get your facts straight.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Charles Jarrett in Moncton, New Brunswick

106 months ago

Mark Hamilton in Calgary, Alberta said: Hi i have several questions about pipe fitting and how to get myself started in this trade. I want to know basically how to get started in this business? I live Just outside Calgary Alberta, Canada and am willing to go to school for an apprenticeship but i think it would be smarter to get on with a company who will pay for your schooling if you are staying with them after your school is done. And if there are any better companies than others? if there is a company willing to hire me and to put me through school or train me could you please contact me. Also post any comments that will help me out at all. Thanks

Did you get anywhere with this posting? please let me know if you found any good companies?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

xringone in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

106 months ago

Burton Poole in Bangor, Maine said: books is how you learn the one i used was S.D. BOWMAN easy to understand you basicaly have to know everything about a right triangle and a circle a all pipefitting problems are worked by dividing the fit or the pipe or pipes into right triangles.if you noticed the take out on your 45s are repatitious 2 inche pipe the takeout is 1 and one qurter and 4 inch is twice that 6 inch is three times that and so on the math is the most important thing get to know it get to love it thats what makes a good pipefitter to know the math in his head without having to take the time to figure the math you should know it off the top of your head the key word to pipe is math learn it

basically you can start out as a helper and catch the trade secrets as your earn. Find and trust a good craftsman to share his trade. Piping is mostly about math understanding the circle,learning trig and understanding how everything all ties in together with math. You'll need to know how to read a tape measure, use squares, levels, and a transit. There are more rules of thumb to pipefitting than probably any other trade. For instance on std. radius 90's the allowable takeoff is 1-1/2 times the pipe diameter,(6" 90 equals 9") the an easy way to compute the take off on a std 45 degree elbow is to take half pipe diameter, half it then half it again,or half of a half of a half, add the first and last togehter for take off.So an example using 4" pipe would be first half of pipe diameter would be 2" half again would be 1" half of that would be 1/2" add first and third halfs equals 2-1/2 " It is hard to ifnd reputable trade schools, I'd stay away from those that brag about journey man fitter/welder in 7 months or less. Good luck in your new career

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Aaron in Edmonton, Alberta

105 months ago

Just say 5/8 lol

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

xringone in Heath, Ohio

105 months ago

Aaron in Edmonton, Alberta said: Just say 5/8 lol

half of a half of a half ,adding the first and the third is not 5/8
the take off can also be done with a calculator you can figure the take -off by simply multiplying the radius of the turn by .414

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

xringone in Heath, Ohio

105 months ago

Charles Jarrett in Moncton, New Brunswick said: Did you get anywhere with this posting? please let me know if you found any good companies?

there are a lot of good books on the subject, I wasn't going to endorse any of them. Some of the more common ones in the Midwest would be
Pipefitters Blue Book by WV Graves

Frankland

IPT by Robert A. Lee

you are so lucky nowadays there is the internet to search and locate information with

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

xringone in Heath, Ohio

105 months ago

jerry toms in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: What about an underground rough for a hospital? The best layout people I know carry a plumbers book, and I am in a plumbers and fitters combination local.

Not trying to be mean or codesending, but more correctly the best layout people in your circle of knowledge cary a plumbers book. I have been in the trades for over 30 plus years and there are marvelous craftsmen in all of them, as well as some pretty sorry excuses.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

xringone in Heath, Ohio

105 months ago

scott in Racine, Wisconsin said: Just like a scab to say something like that!! Union is the only way to go, when the scab gets laid he wont have anywhere to go, no health insurance!! In a union you have options all across the U.S and Canada with great wages and good benefites. Ask the scab how his pension is doing!!

Some points to remember, not everyone needs to have someone else control their pension fund, some people do a very fine job of investing their money on their own! there is always the problem of corruption with large amounts of money laying around. (remember Granite City Steel Mills) Papers can say anything, what matters most is if it is there to be drawn on when you can draw your money.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

lazie01 in Calgary, Alberta

105 months ago

Try checking out Local 496 in Calgary, which has the jobs Calgary and South, or Local 496 out of Edmonton which has most of the jobs from Red Deer North.

There are quite a few shops in Calgary and area. Check them out and see if they are hiring.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

lazie01 in Calgary, Alberta

105 months ago

Tom, in Alberta most of the pipefitters that are working, and not facing layoffs, belong to the unions. Most of the companies in Fort Mac only hire union workers. A lot of the shops will hire non-union, but they are the first to go when they are laying people off.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

gus in Laramie, Wyoming

105 months ago

simple, go work and see how quickly you learn! anybody can start out as a firewatch*

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Lake Jackson, Texas

105 months ago

Step1Be a high school graduate or have a GED (general equivalency diploma) in order to work in pipefitting.
Step2Take courses in math and architectural drawing. Part of pipefitting training includes learning how to read blueprints and calculate and use measurements. You'll need to be able to follow instructions and pre-established guidelines.
Step3Get training in high school or at a technical school in welding, use of hand tools and machine shop. All of this type of experience will apply to your pipefitting training.
Step4Look for opportunities to work as an apprentice. Many companies who do pipefitting have apprenticeship programs that start high school graduates on the path to a good career. You can be earning a living while you are learning.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mattscards in Houston, Texas

103 months ago

Tom Beebe in Port Aranasa, Texas said: I hate to disagree with you Lee, But most pipe fitters are not in the union unless you live in New York or somewhere like that I suggest that you use indeed to search for pipefitter jobs and start applying for them there is such a shortage for pipefitters someone will hire you because you have a knowledge of pipe I am a pipefitter and work as a plumber all the time I learned plumbing as I went just as you will learn pipefitting as you go.
-------------------
Life is Good,

The man asked if there was a place he could work and learn the trade through training and yes Googling the United Association IS the best bet. Maybe you having to work as a plumber while your trade is pipefitting explains this. Yes Unions are all over the United States, including your area. Houston has a good Pipefitter's Union (211) that has a strong membership working. The fact that they all had proper training means most everyone of them will beat you out of a job every time. Not trying to be mean, just telling you the facts. I think also that you would get beat out for those plumbing jobs you are hustling up too if you were to go up against a Union Plumber as well. I think maybe you should research the information before you give it out. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

the pipe doctor in Houston, Texas

103 months ago

john robichaux in Thibodaux, Louisiana said: although some people think that pipefitting and plumbing is the same thing, most of the time they are sadly mistaken. pipefitters may have to understand complex routing system as you would find in prosessing equipment. plumbers mostly have to know that the hot gose on the left, and crap rolls down hill. in no way am i tring to discredet plumbers. all i am tring to say is that there is a reson why there are the two differnt titles.

i fab my pipe plumb, level, and square for which a plumber cannot the pipefitter is more advance than a plumber in my book

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

the pipe god in Houston, Texas

103 months ago

gus in Laramie, Wyoming said: simple, go work and see how quickly you learn! anybody can start out as a firewatch*

thats the problem now we have firewatches trying to fit pipe now its hard to find a real pipefitter anymore there is only a few of us out there

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

pipe world in Houston, Texas

103 months ago

JoeBobJr in Lolita, Texas said: The way I learned to pipefit was to just get jobs as a pipefitters helper. It helped a lot that my dad is a welder and I worked with him most of my life but I started as a helper. If you work with the pipefitter as much as you can you get hands on experience which is way better then any book can teach you. Get a couple years in as a helper and you'll pick up on it all. Then start collecting tools till you feel you are ready and go after it. Don't depend on any book to teach you everything. You can read 5 books and get on the job and feel clueless when you are handed a blueprint or an iso and you have to make that section of pipe. Get all the hands on you can get then consider moving up to a pipefitter.

yes like bob jr said this is the best way to learn to be a pipefitter but take your time as a helper and don't rush and remember what makes a good pipefitter is one that dose not take short cuts and works safe

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

pickled in detroit, Michigan

102 months ago

how do i do a layout for cutting a 90 el down to a 65 el. i know the measurements, my question is how do you obtain the center of the outside of the elbow or the center of the inside of the elbow when transferring the cut measurements?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

jwrobichaux in New Orleans, Louisiana

102 months ago

there are two ways that i would try, the 1st is to place the el in a vice and use a center finder, or a soft tape and the longest point between the two bevels is the top and the shortest is the inside

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

xringone

102 months ago

jwrobichaux in New Orleans, Louisiana said: there are two ways that i would try, the 1st is to place the el in a vice and use a center finder, or a soft tape and the longest point between the two bevels is the top and the shortest is the inside

lay the 90 down on it's side,on a smooth work table, work it back and forth on both sides, the table will put rub marks on the 90 sides measure betwee the 2 sides mid point should be your center.
or use square and level or center finder. Center finder most accurate way, they don't cost that much and help you to add a professional touch to your layout technique, you are going to always need one, depends on the type work you are doing. If you have got one you'll find ways to put it to use! :o)

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

cwx6 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

102 months ago

how do i do a layout for cutting a 90 el down to a 65 el. i know the measurements, my question is how do you obtain the center of the outside of the elbow or the center of the inside of the elbow when transferring the cut measurements?

Level elbow on its side, find top dead center @ each end, i.e. level & square, or centerfinder, O.D. pipe x pie = circumference / 4 = quarters, use soft tape to measure distance on cutline,

Level elbow, find top dead center, take a roll of adding paper and wrap around fitting, cut to exact length, fold in half, fold in half again, and now you have the length of you quarters. Works very well and I have used this many times,

THis is something that I picked up on the job years agao and I doubt any training module will teach you this.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

rat in Toronto, Ontario

102 months ago

Bob in Lake Jackson, Texas said: Step1Be a high school graduate or have a GED (general equivalency diploma) in order to work in pipefitting.
Step2Take courses in math and architectural drawing. Part of pipefitting training includes learning how to read blueprints and calculate and use measurements. You'll need to be able to follow instructions and pre-established guidelines.
Step3Get training in high school or at a technical school in welding, use of hand tools and machine shop. All of this type of experience will apply to your pipefitting training.
Step4Look for opportunities to work as an apprentice. Many companies who do pipefitting have apprenticeship programs that start high school graduates on the path to a good career. You can be earning a living while you are learning.

Good call and The Marine world has excellent oppurtunities for pipefitters also.
Northrop grumman is always taking apps for pipefitters

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

tinkertaylor in portsmouth, United Kingdom

100 months ago

im working in shipyard at moment and im hoping to be in canada soon if i can get help with finding companies to employ me 22 years in pipefitting method used hear is simple get square draw lines off out line of square on floor or table, find angle you want ie 65 de on protractor /line of cords rule or even template wire /weld rod bend to 65 de lay at bot of square were lines meet draw line so it passes the arc of bend aprx same lenght of square lines lay bend on side within the square lines so its in line with and touching vert line and horiz line put square on 60 line and draw line were meets throat of bend and same on back so should end up with line at 60 d in throat and on back put in saw or cut across the points , sounds harder than it is but find me a job in shipyard or ref in halifax area and i will come and show you ha ha cheers tinker

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Trent in Crockett, Virginia

100 months ago

That's helpful, using a square to lay it out on a flat surface would be a good way to do large fittings. That square does need to be plumb side to side when it comes up to make that mid line measurement/mark. Also by laying it out with a square on a flat surface, it would be possible with the right formulas to create the angle line without having a protractor.
Also that trick using the cash register tape to put quarter marks on it might be useful. I've often wondered about a way to put marks on the "sides" of the fitting in order to keep the cut line straighter. It seems I have trouble with my cut trying to fish mouth on the sides because the width of the wrap around doesn't always fit good because the fitting is curved, and using a narrower straight edge like a broken porta-band blade is hard to get straight all the way around with only two points (one in the throat and one on the heel) to line up. But anyways this would take some more thinking to ever get it in my head. Later.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

jon oler in Montgomery, Alabama

100 months ago

the pipe doctor in Houston, Texas said: i fab my pipe plumb, level, and square for which a plumber cannot the pipefitter is more advance than a plumber in my book

i knew a guy in montgomery alabama who called himself the pipe doctor.ever been to montfgomery ?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mike in Calgary, Alberta

94 months ago

cwx6 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: how do i do a layout for cutting a 90 el down to a 65 el. i know the measurements, my question is how do you obtain the center of the outside of the elbow or the center of the inside of the elbow when transferring the cut measurements?

Level elbow on its side, find top dead center @ each end, i.e. level & square, or centerfinder, O.D. pipe x pie = circumference / 4 = quarters, use soft tape to measure distance on cutline,

Level elbow, find top dead center, take a roll of adding paper and wrap around fitting, cut to exact length, fold in half, fold in half again, and now you have the length of you quarters. Works very well and I have used this many times,

THis is something that I picked up on the job years agao and I doubt any training module will teach you this.

Here's a quick cheat......take a piece of string, run it on inside bend of fitting. Cut the string face to face with no overhang.Say it's (hypothetically )1200 mm long. Divide by 90 then times by 65. Measure string to that lenght cut, lay out again, mark. Do same for outside. Take a piece of paper, or a wraparound , layout on marks, mark around, then cut. Voila.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ed in Moncton, New Brunswick

88 months ago

john robichaux in Thibodaux, Louisiana said: although some people think that pipefitting and plumbing is the same thing, most of the time they are sadly mistaken. pipefitters may have to understand complex routing system as you would find in prosessing equipment. plumbers mostly have to know that the hot gose on the left, and crap rolls down hill. in no way am i tring to discredet plumbers. all i am tring to say is that there is a reson why there are the two differnt titles.

John, although you are correct in stating that plumbing and pipe fitting are different professions, you are mistaken in presuming that is everything a plumber has to know. I am unfamiliar with the regulations in your area, but in Canada, with enough hours, a journeyman plumber is eligible to challenge and obtain a pipe fitter's ticket. The journeyman pipe fitter, on the other hand, is not permitted to do the same in respect to plumbing, thus making plumbing the harder of the tracks. Should a journeyman pipe fitter wish to become a journeyman plumber, he must go through the plumbing apprenticeship program...I'm sure he would be credited with SOME hours, but not like it is for a journeyman plumber.

Thanks,

Ed

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

non-union jack-of-all-trades in Ellijay, Georgia

86 months ago

the pipe god in Houston, Texas said: thats the problem now we have firewatches trying to fit pipe now its hard to find a real pipefitter anymore there is only a few of us out there

so you started out at the top and was born with all the skills and tricks of the trade, huh. Who are you to put down on someone who atleast has the ambition to start at the bottom and learn all they can from whoever they can while working their way up? I started as an apprentice under my step-dad when I was 13 years old with our family welding business. After graduating high school, I got a job with a small contracting company called HARDCO, Inc. I learned all I could as fast as I could, and now they come to me for advice, and I'm only 24 years old. You union guys can say what you want about guys like me, but you put your pants on one leg at a time just everyone else. What I prefer about being non-union is the versatility. I don't have to be tied down to one field. I can be fitting pipe, connecting iron, fabricating conveyor frames, installing machinery, you name it. Any part of industrial construction, I can do it. And you union guys want to talk about job security, what about when there isn't any pipe-work goin on, iron-work. when one area is slow, I jump to another. I am never out of work.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

597 journeyman

80 months ago

Ed in Moncton, New Brunswick said: John, although you are correct in stating that plumbing and pipe fitting are different professions, you are mistaken in presuming that is everything a plumber has to know. I am unfamiliar with the regulations in your area, but in Canada, with enough hours, a journeyman plumber is eligible to challenge and obtain a pipe fitter's ticket. The journeyman pipe fitter, on the other hand, is not permitted to do the same in respect to plumbing, thus making plumbing the harder of the tracks. Should a journeyman pipe fitter wish to become a journeyman plumber, he must go through the plumbing apprenticeship program...I'm sure he would be credited with SOME hours, but not like it is for a journeyman plumber.

Thanks,

Ed

Thats a really nice story you just told everyone mr. Turdhurder but im calling B.S. Dude...it's the same way in Chicago and the only reason plumbers have to have a liscense is because you deal with waste ventilation and drinking water...that's it. The state or county rights the rules. It has nothing to do with fitting capabilities it has everything to do with following codes. Every plumber I've ever had come through and tell me he can fit has ended up with their dough within a week. I'm certain you as a plumber you would be no different. There are only 3 things you need to know to be a plumber...crap rolls down hill...payday is on Friday...and don't bite your fingernails!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

597 journeyman

80 months ago

Writes* the rules

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

A helper with a plan in Lumberton, North Carolina

79 months ago

the pipe god in Houston, Texas said: thats the problem now we have firewatches trying to fit pipe now its hard to find a real pipefitter anymore there is only a few of us out there

Every1 has to start Somewhere Gus

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

A helper with a plan in Lumberton, North Carolina

79 months ago

597 journeyman said: Thats a really nice story you just told everyone mr. Turdhurder but im calling B.S. Dude...it's the same way in Chicago and the only reason plumbers have to have a liscense is because you deal with waste ventilation and drinking water...that's it. The state or county rights the rules. It has nothing to do with fitting capabilities it has everything to do with following codes. Every plumber I've ever had come through and tell me he can fit has ended up with their dough within a week. I'm certain you as a plumber you would be no different. There are only 3 things you need to know to be a plumber...crap rolls down hill...payday is on Friday...and don't bite your fingernails!

Burn!!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

jwrobichaux in Houma, Louisiana

79 months ago

and hot goes on the left.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

jwrobichaux in Houma, Louisiana

79 months ago

in the south, pipe fitters handle all areas of commercial and industrial plumbing. Most of the projects are ether at or below sea level. You have to have a advance knowledge of high volume pumping systems, air adjutant operation, separators, pressure relief systems, osmoses systems, drain fields, and those other four things. Besides, when was the last time you seen a plumber do a layout of a 45* on a 68” pipe………

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

davidesample in Compton, California

79 months ago

dont listen to this guy at 597 my card reads steamfitter ihave contractos licenceses in both plumbing and pipe fitting i have stayed busy for 33 years doing both, not to say you can take a fitters exam and be top notch overnight but it can be done pipe is round, various procedures and codes are all that separate our two trades if you are a good craftsman you can make it happen and to all you joe fitters out there go ahead and pay big monry nrxt time you need a turdhearder at your house!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ed in Moncton, New Brunswick

79 months ago

davidsample has made the best point I've read in the last few days. I'm a plumber in Canada. Up here, a licensed plumber can challenge the pipefitter exam, but not vice versa. Both trades are excellent trades and I enjoy performing both work. But anybody who thinks plumbing is just fluffy work, that anybody can do, think again. These people need to reconsider the respect amongst tradesmen. Ignorance is not something to be proud of gentlemen.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

597 journeyman in Hazel Crest, Illinois

79 months ago

All I was doing was putting this plumber in his place about the licensing b.s....I hate when plumbers bring that crap up...most of them work with sch 40 PVC all day...and I wouldnt call a plumber I would do it myself....and to all you Joe plumbers or anybody else out there that turn on light switch and have power, control the heat/ac in there house/office or wherever they're working, put gas in there car, and many other things...thank a fitter. And to davidesample there are way more fitters that can do plumbing than there are plumbers that can fit...garunteed

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Marco in Forssa, Finland

79 months ago

That PVC's just 1 material among many, CPVC, PEX, ABS, IRON, COPPER, CAST-IRON, TRACK-PIPE, BRASS, COMPOSITE, CHROME etc.
2 different trades!
Licensed Journeyman Plumber UPC, IPC

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

dave in Homestead, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

Jonathan in Greenwood, Indiana said: Why does everybody get on here and make complete fools out of themselves asking for jobs that they know nothing about. Here's a hint! If you cant spell then don't type messages on the internet asking for jobs! As far as the original post goes, I recommend you contact some companies in the area and ask if they have an apprentice program. They will usually hire you quickly as long as you can pass a drug test and then you can work and see if you like the career and you will also meet other people at work and you can pick there brain and see where they worked or want to work...

This way is a lot easier than going through the union! Nothing against the union but with them you have to apply then show proof of math classes, then take an assessment, then go through a lengthy interview process, then they put your name on a list and you have to wait till they have an opening. Who has time for all that waiting to get a low paying apprentice position!

Just my 2 cents!

im an apprentice in the steamfitters local #449 out of pittsburgh PA. and i get paid a decent wage im a 1st year and i make $18.50 an hr. and ill top out at $38.87 an hr. you are rt, it took me 3 years to get in i was 1 of 15 taken in and 480 ppl took the test... P.S. if i can pass the math on the test anyone can just study... but if u can just hold on the union is the best thing that ever happend in my life i love it but it might not be for everyone.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

moncton in Moncton, New Brunswick

76 months ago

john robichaux in Thibodaux, Louisiana said: although some people think that pipefitting and plumbing is the same thing, most of the time they are sadly mistaken. pipefitters may have to understand complex routing system as you would find in prosessing equipment. plumbers mostly have to know that the hot gose on the left, and crap rolls down hill. in no way am i tring to discredet plumbers. all i am tring to say is that there is a reson why there are the two differnt titles.

You obviously know nothing of the plumbing trade if you think that plumbers mostly need to know that the hot goes on the left.....typical pipefitter B.S. Tell me then, why can a lic. plumber challenge the pipefitter exam, but a lic. pipefitter isn't permitted to challenge the plumber's exam? BTW, it's "goes", not "gose".

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Audio_Rookie in Edmonton, Alberta

76 months ago

Journeyman plumber here.

I have been plumbing for nearly 7 years and have never touched drainage or a domestic water line...

I specialize in installing mechanical rooms and super effecient hydronic heating systems in new commercial construction....as well as gas lines.

Try reading some of the schematics for the super complex and effecient mechanical rooms in these places like a large recreation center. cooling towers, chillers, boilers, heat exchangers, enough control valves (2 way, 3 way, and 4 way) to make your head shake. multiple pumps, as well as staging pumps and boilers.

Not to mention often the lines (being from 2" to 36") are welded....and guess who fits them....

Just saying...

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

moncton in Moncton, New Brunswick

76 months ago

Kudos

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

moncton in Moncton, New Brunswick

76 months ago

597 journeyman said: Thats a really nice story you just told everyone mr. Turdhurder but im calling B.S. Dude...it's the same way in Chicago and the only reason plumbers have to have a liscense is because you deal with waste ventilation and drinking water...that's it. The state or county rights the rules. It has nothing to do with fitting capabilities it has everything to do with following codes. Every plumber I've ever had come through and tell me he can fit has ended up with their dough within a week. I'm certain you as a plumber you would be no different. There are only 3 things you need to know to be a plumber...crap rolls down hill...payday is on Friday...and don't bite your fingernails!

shows how very little you know...must be why you couldn't hack it as a plumber and had to settle for being the plumber's helper. I'm sure as a pipefitter, you're very good at cleaning a guy's pipe and fittings

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

597 journeyman in Oak Park, Illinois

76 months ago

I'm sure I wouldn't want to hack it as a plumber and I'm sure you couldn't come
out and pass an x-ray weld on our jobsites....plumbers helper? Are you stupid? Why would I clean a plumbers pipe? Do you even know the difference between the two trades? Lol keep it up buddy you're making a real good case for yourself and plumbers...lol

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

moncton in Moncton, New Brunswick

76 months ago

Oh, I apologize, did I hit a nerve? I didn't realize you were as sensitive as your hands were. LOL, I think I'll just let you keep on running on at the mouth....who's making a good point for whom? Huh?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.